The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=444746)

babyblueoval 09-10-2012 10:43 PM

Re: How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 5586021)
I thought about putting most of the parts in powder, but to save a few bucks, I only did the larger ones that required the durability.

Here's a dirty-hack p-shop of what I would be happy with for ride height up front to match the current rear. I think I'd be pretty close to the stock inners at this height, but I love the look...

That looks awesome. Hey, you could drive to northwest Arkansas and do about $500 worth of work on Mike's '67. He might trade you some SloshTubz...... :D

SCOTI 09-11-2012 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babyblueoval (Post 5586096)
That looks awesome. Hey, you could drive to northwest Arkansas and do about $500 worth of work on Mike's '67. He might trade you some SloshTubz...... :D

The aftermarket inner tub swap opens up a whole 'nother can-o-mods.

gringoloco 09-11-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chapster (Post 5586037)
Thanks for the clarification. That is what I understood from Nate but thought maybe I was missing something.

Cheers

Np!
Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 5586072)
Who did the powder coating? If you don't mind what did they. Charge for the control arms and brackets?
Posted via Mobile Device

I used Witt's Powdercoating in Bossier City- been going there for years- great service, decent prices, great color selection, and the owners have some cool projects/toys. Charged me $80 for 8 pieces. They were cheaper 10 years ago, but I guess everything was :lol:
Quote:

Originally Posted by babyblueoval (Post 5586096)

Man, I wish I had the time, I would be all over it! He wouldn't even have to pay me. Unfortunately, my schedule is gonna tighten for the next few weeks- wont even have time for my own truck...
Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 5586301)
The aftermarket inner tub swap opens up a whole 'nother can-o-mods.

No kidding! For better or worse- it opens up the possibilities, but means more time/money that I wasn't planning on for this round o' mods- trying to keep it simple...
Posted via Mobile Device

SCOTI 09-11-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 5586597)

No kidding! For better or worse- it opens up the possibilities, but means more time/money that I wasn't planning on for this round o' mods- trying to keep it simple...

When you figure this out, please.... please, tell me the secret. With the swap to the tubs, you have to relocate the w.washer reservior, the OE radiator overflow tank, emissions charcoal tank, & battery (any or all depending on what items you have). Can-o-worms indeed....

gringoloco 09-11-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 5586704)
When you figure this out, please.... please, tell me the secret. With the swap to the tubs, you have to relocate the w.washer reservior, the OE radiator overflow tank, emissions charcoal tank, & battery (any or all depending on what items you have). Can-o-worms indeed....

'lest we forget hood hinges. I'm thinking I'll keep the lid on Pandora's box for now--even if it means forgoing that last inch...
Posted via Mobile Device

SCOTI 09-11-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 5586960)
'lest we forget hood hinges. I'm thinking I'll keep the lid on Pandora's box for now--even if it means forgoing that last inch...
Posted via Mobile Device

Ahhh.... Forgot them! I technically didn't have to start from scratch there as mine is an 89 thus has the cowl mounted pivot installed from the factory. I just have to add struts. My 64 & 67 will be a different story.

69gmcc10 09-12-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 5586597)

Man, I wish I had the time, I would be all over it! He wouldn't even have to pay me. Unfortunately, my schedule is gonna tighten for the next few weeks- wont even have time for my own truck...

Posted via Mobile Device

Dont do this to me...I mean...us!... Dont do this to us! You cant start all of this and then walk away! We have expectations you need to meet!.......Sorry, didnt mean to sound my parents.

Hope you get back to it soon! Cant wait to see how this goes together.

gringoloco 09-12-2012 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69gmcc10 (Post 5588916)
Dont do this to me...I mean...us!... Dont do this to us! You cant start all of this and then walk away! We have expectations you need to meet!.......Sorry, didnt mean to sound my parents.

Hope you get back to it soon! Cant wait to see how this goes together.

Haha- I won't leave you guys completely hanging :lol: I did manage to do the trailing arm mount flip today--it raised the rear around 3/4" or so--details tomorrow...

Oh, and I despise frame rivets. That is all.
Posted via Mobile Device

XxCHEVYMANxX 09-13-2012 06:56 AM

So the trailing arm flip gave the truck a slight rake then? I bet it looks good just how it sits now.

Bennett68C10 09-13-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 5589953)
Haha- I won't leave you guys completely hanging :lol: I did manage to do the trailing arm mount flip today--it raised the rear around 3/4" or so--details tomorrow...

Oh, and I despise frame rivets. That is all.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm right there with you buddy, I hate those frame rivets too. Can't wait to see some pics.

67cheby 09-13-2012 09:48 AM

its....tomorrow, today !

gringoloco 09-13-2012 03:06 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxCHEVYMANxX (Post 5590228)
So the trailing arm flip gave the truck a slight rake then? I bet it looks good just how it sits now.

Yup! I'm pretty happy with the height now- rides much better, too!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett--G4L (Post 5590270)
I'm right there with you buddy, I hate those frame rivets too. Can't wait to see some pics.

Laying on your back, sweating, eating hot metal shards, wearing goggles/gloves/hearing protection, and calling it 'fun'. And to think, I chose this as my hobby... :lol:
Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 5590373)
its....tomorrow, today !

I guess I deserve that, after all the pic harassment I've given in your thread, so I went out and snapped a couple during my lunch break, to go with the in progress shots from yesterday :D

Pretty simple mod--though it took me a few hours, mostly due to those !%dag@^*$^blasted##&%&*flabber#@!*#*@jackin*&^&%#^*% rivets. I used the brackets as a template for the offset holes and drilled them all out to accept 7/16" grade 8 hardware. Pretty happy with the end results, as the rake is now at an acceptable height- just gotta get the Camaro sway bar mounted up, and the rear suspension will be done!

Just for comparison, the rear is now ~3/4" higher than before and with no measureable fore/aft change. Looking at this pic, I really need to get those a-arms in and get the front wheel centered in the wheelwell...

mahanian 09-13-2012 03:53 PM

Did you have to add shims between the axle and the trailing arms to correct the pinion angle or is the change in angle minor enough to not be an issue?

mcbassin 09-13-2012 04:04 PM

Nice work Chris! Keep the updates coming. With pictures.

gringoloco 09-13-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mahanian (Post 5590847)
Did you have to add shims between the axle and the trailing arms to correct the pinion angle or is the change in angle minor enough to not be an issue?

If anything, the angle is now 'more correct' than it was before. Though I have what equates to a 7.5" drop, the rear axle only 'sees' about 2.5" of this--once you subtract the 3.5" raise of the TA mounts and the 1.5" blocks, if that makes sense. That 2.5", I would think, is well within the normal operating range of the stock suspension.

Bottom line: no, I did not add shims, either before or after the mount flip and have no issues--even at up to 80mph on the (crappy LA) interstate this morn :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 5590857)
Nice work Chris! Keep the updates coming. With pictures.

Thanks! More to come- can't have an update without pics :sumo:

69gmcc10 09-13-2012 05:13 PM

I know it's a small difference, but I like the stance more now you have done the flip to the brackets. I didnt like the look of your a$$ dragin on the ground, it looked lazy, not very sport.

XxCHEVYMANxX 09-13-2012 06:17 PM

Looks Good ! Nice subtle rake, adding the rear sway bar you'll have almost nobody roll. very cool.

gringoloco 09-13-2012 08:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 69gmcc10 (Post 5590943)
I know it's a small difference, but I like the stance more now you have done the flip to the brackets. I didnt like the look of your a$$ dragin on the ground, it looked lazy, not very sport.

I agree! MUCH better now--no more Cali-lean...
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxCHEVYMANxX (Post 5591018)
Looks Good ! Nice subtle rake, adding the rear sway bar you'll have almost nobody roll. very cool.

Thanks! I sure hope so. It feels a lot better already, just with the few mods I've done so far. I'm really looking forward to the change with the A-arms and sway bar. Then, the brakes :chevy:

Here's a side-by-side of before/after the mount flip. Amazing, to me, how much difference less than an inch can make (that's what she said! :lol: ). Also notice how the arms are no longer hanging down beneath the bed. All said, good mod :D

thor 09-13-2012 08:35 PM

You nailed the stance perfectly! :thumbs:

Bennett68C10 09-13-2012 09:26 PM

The stance looks really good, matches the front perfectly. Great job on a well thought out mod I would have never thought of.
Posted via Mobile Device

68GMCCustom 09-13-2012 11:04 PM

Looks good..interesting about the pinion angle. My truck got worse with the TA mount flip...my trucks pinion angle is like (yes shims are on the way) 8*? After working to set a better angle from the eng/trans my d-shaft was too short...then he put on the wrong u-joint....my d-shaft is getting it re-redone :lol:

gringoloco 09-14-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thor (Post 5591228)
You nailed the stance perfectly! :thumbs:

Thanks! I think it will work :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett--G4L (Post 5591328)
The stance looks really good, matches the front perfectly. Great job on a well thought out mod I would have never thought of.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks man. Hope it stays that way with the arm swap...
Quote:

Originally Posted by 68GMCCustom (Post 5591584)
Looks good..interesting about the pinion angle. My truck got worse with the TA mount flip...my trucks pinion angle is like (yes shims are on the way) 8*? After working to set a better angle from the eng/trans my d-shaft was too short...then he put on the wrong u-joint....my d-shaft is getting it re-redone :lol:

Sounds like a pain- makes me glad mine seems to have worked out well...
Posted via Mobile Device

aggie91 09-14-2012 12:57 PM

Stance is perfect. When do you plan to install the Forward Lower arms?

gringoloco 09-14-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 5592300)
Stance is perfect. When do you plan to install the Forward Lower arms?

Thanks! They will be going on in the next week or two--waiting for the rest of my steering parts and have a packed work schedule for a bit...
Posted via Mobile Device

XxCHEVYMANxX 09-15-2012 05:49 AM

Maybe a dumb question, but I read an earlier post that had to do with centering the front wheel in the fender opening. Is this done with the A arms your installing? and is just the lower needed to accomplish this? I'm still learning.:lol: