The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   4x4 Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   72 K30 Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645614)

DWilbur 01-18-2017 03:02 PM

Re: 72 K30 Build

In post 886 it looks like a HF trailer your using to transport your cab. I bought 1 to. And I'm sniveling about the cold in California 36 in the morning and 60 in the afternoon no snow. Looking good.

7dee2 01-19-2017 11:31 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by First c10 (Post 7830344)
I have been thinking about how I am going to insulate the cab. How did you come up with this? keeping it stock? I have seen many people use a plethora of insulation ideas. not sure what is best.

Yes, very stock-ish. Our cab originally came with jute (removed prior to media blast) in this area, it was originally one piece and ran the length of the cowl like this forum pic I borrowed. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=683386 We’ll be installing new repro cardboard/jute padded firewall insulation with the little plugs. Under the carpet set (ACC massbacked, w/more jute) and on the back of the cab we’ll use FatMat’s MegaMat sparingly. In my experience/research we've had good results in the past with under coating, butyl and jute it is very effective. The new spray on stuff like Lizard Skin looks very interesting though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWilbur (Post 7830497)
In post 886 it looks like a HF trailer your using to transport your cab. I bought 1 to. And I'm sniveling about the cold in California 36 in the morning and 60 in the afternoon no snow. Looking good.

Yep, it's a great little trailer fold it up and stuff it in a corner! :lol: Thank's, D it's coming along.

Here's the cab back on the frame, yes! :mm:

First c10 01-19-2017 12:05 PM

Nice looking Brett i cant wait to get my cab back....

How did you attached the cowl insulation??

DWilbur 01-19-2017 03:22 PM

The city was in my Sh** about my trailer parked on front lawn so I folded it up moved to my side yard. what gas tank are you using looks like it fist good. is your truck long bed. I changed mine to short bed and looking at custom tank under bed mount 26 gallons.

mjensen 01-22-2017 04:20 PM

Brett, that looks so awesome! It's really going to be a great truck when you're done!

7dee2 01-23-2017 11:36 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by First c10 (Post 7831891)
Nice looking Brett i cant wait to get my cab back....

How did you attached the cowl insulation??

Thank’s Scott. I’m sure your painter is killing it and yours will be coming together in no time. We’re using 3M 90 Spray Adhesive, it’s pretty good stuff and not coming down or off without some work.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/3M-Hi-Stren...hesive/1160531

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWilbur (Post 7832064)
The city was in my Sh** about my trailer parked on front lawn so I folded it up moved to my side yard. what gas tank are you using looks like it fist good. is your truck long bed. I changed mine to short bed and looking at custom tank under bed mount 26 gallons.

Our truck is built on a Longhorn frame and will end up with a 9’ flatbed, the fuel tank fitment starts on page #16 posts 397-402. Just had to move the rear most cross member back and trim the inner rails a little.

Tank stuff is all 84 Blazer/Suburban from RockAuto
Dorman #576312 30 Gallon Gas Tank https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...&cc=2795&jsn=5
Dorman #692093 Sending Unit https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...&cc=2795&jsn=4
Spectra Premium/Cooling Depot # ST11 Gas Tank Straps https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...&cc=2795&jsn=1

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjensen (Post 7834922)
Brett, that looks so awesome! It's really going to be a great truck when you're done!

Thank you, Mike I appreciate your kind words. You just gotta be excited to hear your GMC come to life!

Here’s something you don’t get to see very often, Corvettes going to the dump! Man, I’m getting old in 76 I knew a guy in high school that bought a brand new yellow 77 Corvette, his dad said it had cost more than their house! :lol:

DWilbur 01-23-2017 02:24 PM

Thanks for the fuel tank info.

Dieselwrencher 01-23-2017 03:36 PM

Man, I've been trying to find one of those body shells to build another vette from. :lol:

7dee2 01-24-2017 10:54 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DWilbur (Post 7835921)
Thanks for the fuel tank info.

No biggie, moo’la if it’d work for you. Pretty sure there's a fuel pump in tank version as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 7835985)
Man, I've been trying to find one of those body shells to build another vette from. :lol:

Oops, sorry Ryan, but hey it looks like you had a fun afternoon in your Corvette not too long ago! Was this recent? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP3nGLWMP74

The center vent and duct cleaned up well, used some double-sided tape to install a new gasket. Took a silver Sharpie to the original bezel and it’ll pass for ok. Loosely attached a new cowl seal to perhaps relax some folds from the way it was packaged and the center speaker looks like it’ll be a squeeze!

Dieselwrencher 01-24-2017 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7dee2 (Post 7836640)
Oops, sorry Ryan, but hey it looks like you had a fun afternoon in your Corvette not too long ago! Was this recent? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP3nGLWMP74

No worries. You're a long ways away to get a rough shell any how. :lol:

That vid was copied from a diesel swap site from a while ago I believe. I'm pretty sure those runs are from Byron Illinois October 2012. We haven't video'd any runs for a long time. :uhmk: It hasn't been out for a while either. :mm:

7dee2 01-30-2017 11:10 AM

4 Attachment(s)
We just happen to have a big Swingline stapler! :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqxjRzzGn8k

swamp rat 01-30-2017 06:56 PM

Man your truck is taking shape!

7dee2 01-31-2017 10:52 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Thank you, Mike! Lots & lots of little jobs left like this one.

Next up, how to install the center speaker to look right? Mrs. 7dee2 is quite crafty and just happen to have a remnant piece of foam she’d picked up from a local craft store (Michaels). After seeing just how light & rigid this foam material is we went to the store and got some more. They also had some polyester felt from the same manufacturer that should be fairly UV resistant a little 3M 90 to attach the felt to the foam and we have a speaker grill.

rgunlock 01-31-2017 07:51 PM

Brett, you are totally making me re-think my insulation plans for my firewall. Or maybe making me think about it in the first place! I think that the pains you are going through to make it right will pay off. The speaker grill certainly looks as good as the original. Nice job knocking off these tasks!

7dee2 02-01-2017 11:13 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Thank you, Rick! You know if it looks good, runs good, and drives like it’s new it’s a pleasure to own and a quality build. If it drives poorly, stuff doesn’t work, it rattles or feels like a tin can it’s usually a sign it was just thrown together and it’s just not as impressive.

Added some double-sided tape to hold the speaker grill in position. The attaching bracket that came with the speaker left it some ways from where it needed to be. After straightening and reshaping it the speaker will now help to hold the speaker grill in place as well as putting it in a better position for sound quality IMO. Sorry, for the bad pic, the windshield was dusty but you get the idea.

First c10 02-01-2017 12:45 PM

I did the same thing to Hulk jr on the center speaker bracket. The sound in the truck is much better with the kick panel and the center speaker than the kicks only..
looking good!!! :metal:on

Dieselwrencher 02-01-2017 09:14 PM

Nice work on the speaker. I hate to say it but start looking for a new speaker now. Mine lasted 1 week before it started crackling and popping. Totally not cool.

7dee2 02-02-2017 11:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by First c10 (Post 7845165)
I did the same thing to Hulk jr on the center speaker bracket. The sound in the truck is much better with the kick panel and the center speaker than the kicks only..
looking good!!! :metal:on

Hey Scott great minds they say, also good to hear (pun intended!) that the center speaker made a noticeable difference! How’s your boy like the new sub? :5150:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 7845700)
Nice work on the speaker. I hate to say it but start looking for a new speaker now. Mine lasted 1 week before it started crackling and popping. Totally not cool.

:but: Thanks for the heads up, if the speaker is totally crappo we’ve at least got making a speaker grill down for the next one! :lol: Ryan, u ol head banger trying to drown out that oil burner? :lol:

Installed a known good wiper motor (RV donor) that was missing the washer pump cover? Installed a washer pump rebuild kit with a new cowl to pump gasket etc. My plan is to test it once the rest of the system is installed, could have bench tested but thought this would be just as easy and it's installed when done. Broke out a trash guard from Old Air Products to see how well it would fit. Initially I’m impressed, it seems to be a pretty slick product so far as long as it doesn’t rattle on the final install.

Deer_hunter_088 02-02-2017 03:49 PM

Looks Great!!!

El Dorado Jim 02-02-2017 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7dee2 (Post 7846163)
Hey Scott great minds they say, also good to hear (pun intended!) that the center speaker made a noticeable difference! How’s your boy like the new sub? :5150:

:but: Thanks for the heads up, if the speaker is totally crappo we’ve at least got making a speaker grill down for the next one! :lol: Ryan, u ol head banger trying to drown out that oil burner? :lol:

Installed a known good wiper motor (RV donor) that was missing the washer pump cover? Installed a washer pump rebuild kit with a new cowl to pump gasket etc. My plan is to test it once the rest of the system is installed, could have bench tested but thought this would be just as easy and it's installed when done. Broke out a trash guard from Old Air Products to see how well it would fit. Initially I’m impressed, it seems to be a pretty slick product so far as long as it doesn’t rattle on the final install.

those stainless trash guards work great, I have them on my 72, and bought a set for the 69 motorhome, I got mine from LMC

DWilbur 02-02-2017 07:31 PM

I bought some of those trash guards as well. Good to hear they work.

Dieselwrencher 02-02-2017 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7dee2 (Post 7846163)

:lol: It's actually not that bad in there. I haven't even cranked the radio past 23. :sumo: After mine started cracking an popping I looked on the net and it seems those are just not that great of quality. Disappointing.

7dee2 02-06-2017 11:22 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deer_hunter_088 (Post 7846365)
Looks Great!!!

Thank’s Deer_hunter_088!

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Dorado Jim (Post 7846477)
those stainless trash guards work great, I have them on my 72, and bought a set for the 69 motorhome, I got mine from LMC

Kool El Dorado Jim, really like this style grate better than the old silicone and window screen method someone had used on this cab (which did do a good job in lieu of nothing).

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWilbur (Post 7846550)
I bought some of those trash guards as well. Good to hear they work.

Me too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 7846647)
:lol: It's actually not that bad in there. I haven't even cranked the radio past 23. :sumo: After mine started cracking an popping I looked on the net and it seems those are just not that great of quality. Disappointing.

That does suck and you’re really limited with these trucks center AC duct as to what can be stuffed in there. We’ve ran better quality tweeters in the dash before on other projects and will probably go that route again when this one fails.

What a SUPER BOWL, WOW, AMAZING GAME! OK got that out of my system… :ww:

Decided that we needed to mock up the stereo again. Our sub was bouncing around in the manufacturers packaging as well as the shipping box when it arrived, uh oh? Thought we could give the center speaker a little work out and see if it’d blow! :devil:

Well this stuff performed perfecto for over 24 hours straight (good burn in). With our setup radio volume at 15 is very loud and short spikes to 17 a couple of times just to see if it would pop. Center speaker really doesn’t put out a lot of sound after fading all the way forward compared to the 6x9’s and the mello sub with a zero-fade setting front to rear.

Thinking the center speaker is better quality than the factory speaker was, dual channel, tweeters etc. but couldn't hold up to an amp no way. :sumo: Especially not if the head unit puts out enough to blow it up! Happy with what we have for now and time will tell. :metal:

7dee2 02-07-2017 10:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Had some sound deadener/undercoating left over so the backs of the speaker mount and the back of the cab got a coating.

7dee2 02-08-2017 10:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Interior roof is done.