The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What did you do today not on your truck... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=810698)

72c20customcamper 03-24-2021 04:15 PM

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

2 Attachment(s)
Just a tad over 2 gallons . This is the first time for the hydrometer made life so much easier

LT7A 03-25-2021 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stocker (Post 8897704)
If I tried that, I would probably tap a tree with poison sap..... :barf:

Haha, out here I would probably have to tap some sort of evergreen. I'd probably come back to find the whole thing irretrievably welded together with pitch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1slo64 (Post 8897954)
Spent a good bit of the afternoon working on the quarter panel and fender flare on my dad's 66. Also drove it around for the first time in about 8 months.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...0501874f_c.jpg

That looks like good progress. I like the camera angle. That year is very well designed visually. The fastback gets attention because it is a departure from the norm. But the lines on the coupe are more cohesive and look like they belong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 (Post 8897996)
Roses are red and violets are purple
Sugar is sweet and so is maple syrple

I had to mention that this made me chuckle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8897956)
Yes it smells great when it gets to the amber color . Up and till then it's just steam

Can you keep boiling it until it becomes like a candy or taffy consistency?

Ol Blue K20 03-25-2021 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8898873)
Just a tad over 2 gallons . This is the first time for the hydrometer made life so much easier

What does the hydrometer tell you? Viscosity, sugar content?

57taskforce 03-25-2021 07:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got this ole 6-71 Detroit running today. Had to run the exhaust valves, and set the injector heights but she purred right along afterward. Been sitting 5+ years.

72c20customcamper 03-25-2021 07:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8899183)
What does the hydrometer tell you? Viscosity, sugar content?

Density. The amount of sugar in solution the higher it floats the more sugar in the syrup. I use something similar to check the wort when I'm making beer. But it doesn't go high enough for syrup . People use these for salt water pools and fish tanks too

72c20customcamper 03-26-2021 03:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got the cart working had to redo the casters just needed to beef up the bolts . You can see why I used 10 inch pneumatic casters not the greatest surface to work with but it’s a 150+ year old barn

LockDoc 03-26-2021 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8899736)
Got the cart working had to redo the casters just needed to beef up the bolts . You can see why I used 10 inch pneumatic casters not the greatest surface to work with but it’s a 150+ year old barn

I need to build one with tracks on it instead of wheels....:)

LockDoc

Black_Sheep 03-28-2021 08:10 AM

I helped my brother in law put new carpet and newly reupholstered bench seat in his ‘69 340 Dart.

FleetsidePaul 03-29-2021 06:44 PM

I polished the hubcaps on my Packard. They weren't too bad for 71 years old. The one on the car is before and the other is after. And then I hit the paint with some Linseed oil just for giggles. I was shocked. THE CAR IS BLACK! :eek: I would have never guessed. I would have done more but I have to scrub some surface rust with CLR first. I think that the old girl is going to clean up nicely. I still have a lot of polishing to do and lose the dried up masking tape on the trim. But so far so good. The bumpers are next. Make her pretty again. :)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...ium/Hubcap.jpg

Stocker 03-29-2021 07:29 PM

Yesterday I decided to replace a broken firebrick in our wood stove. Took time to let it cool first, then cleaned out the ashes. Might as well clean the cap & brush the flue next. The broken brick was against the back of the stove, and held in place by the bricks on the floor.... which are held in place by the bricks on the side.... one of which was broken. It's all good now and we had a nice warm fire last night. Just took a bit longer than I had anticipated.

4u2nv 03-29-2021 08:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I played

DeadheadNM 03-29-2021 09:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Rewebbed this old lawn chair. Ready for more decades of use.

LT7A 03-29-2021 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 8901137)
I polished the hubcaps on my Packard. They weren't too bad for 71 years old. The one on the car is before and the other is after. And then I hit the paint with some Linseed oil just for giggles. I was shocked. THE CAR IS BLACK! :eek: I would have never guessed. I would have done more but I have to scrub some surface rust with CLR first. I think that the old girl is going to clean up nicely. I still have a lot of polishing to do and lose the dried up masking tape on the trim. But so far so good. The bumpers are next. Make her pretty again. :)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...ium/Hubcap.jpg

That thing's pretty cool and looks like it's going to clean up nice. You may want to look at Meguiar's number 7 as it's designed to soak into old paint like that. There are some videos on utube of how it soaks into old single stage paint and the rubbing process of putting it on helps very gently remove some of the dead paint on top.

LT7A 03-29-2021 10:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8901213)

Pretty cool, where did you buy the new webbing? Looks like you're ready to go watch some racing from the martini racing pit.

special-K 03-30-2021 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8899736)

Hah! I used the same pneumatic tire casters (not cheap) to put a spare cab I have on wheels for 'off road'. First time I moved it the tires needed air. Second time the tires needed replaced, rotted off the wheels. I put the same type tires on my big trash can. One started going flat every week, took a look, tire severely rotted. Never saw rubber rot so fast. I have a hand truck with the original tires that came on it 25 years ago. And that this has been strapped to some insane loads over the years

DeadheadNM 03-30-2021 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 8901233)
Pretty cool, where did you buy the new webbing? Looks like you're ready to go watch some racing from the martini racing pit.

That’s funny. EBay - had a lot of options for vintage webbing. I liked the red white blue theme. I really like these old folding chairs versus the newer collapsible style that’s tough to get back into the storage sack. The last two folders I got (including this one) were free on the side of the road.

72c20customcamper 03-30-2021 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8901320)
Hah! I used the same pneumatic tire casters (not cheap) to put a spare cab I have on wheels for 'off road'. First time I moved it the tires needed air. Second time the tires needed replaced, rotted off the wheels. I put the same type tires on my big trash can. One started going flat every week, took a look, tire severely rotted. Never saw rubber rot so fast. I have a hand truck with the original tires that came on it 25 years ago. And that this has been strapped to some insane loads over the years

Thats that new an improved automotive tire rubber

LT7A 03-30-2021 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8901333)
That’s funny. EBay - had a lot of options for vintage webbing. I liked the red white blue theme. I really like these old folding chairs versus the newer collapsible style that’s tough to get back into the storage sack. The last two folders I got (including this one) were free on the side of the road.

Good to know! I have an old travel trailer that could make good use of some vintage chairs like that.

72c20customcamper 03-30-2021 07:03 PM

Welded up some thrust washers to the legs of the steel lawn chairs. Got tired of one or two legs sinking Into the lawn.

GOPAPA 04-01-2021 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8901213)

Good job on re-webbing these chairs of yesteryear,, I did a couple many years ago when they were still popular.. I had a niece at an age about 4 get a nasty gash from one of these aluminum framed chairs by it folding up on her ,,I do not remember the part of the chair that caused the cut on her.. and of course there were more than one company making them.. ( not down playing your fine looking chairs ),and I can just hear the many great replies you will get from people admiring them..

DeadheadNM 04-01-2021 12:32 PM

Thanks for the good words. Maybe I'll take on a chaise lounge version sometime for fun :) These chairs work pretty good in the snow - I'd drag them (and other supplies) to the pond in a sled and use for lacing up skates.

72c20customcamper 04-01-2021 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Replaced the clock spring on the 03 Tacoma . This what happens when someone does work that has no clue how it works. Had the rack replaced by someone in Buffalo when my step son had the truck 3 months later I get the truck back with the air bag light on no horn or cruise . Knew instantly that the so called mechanic spun the wheel to line it up with input shaft on the rack . So now the spring had tension and eventually broke making lock to lock turns . Stepson said it had just happened so the shop was like 3 months not our problem . So a couple of hours and 100 bucks it's all working again

1976gmc20 04-01-2021 07:22 PM

Replaced the oil pressure sending unit on my Jeep.

I had an oil leak that was driving me crazy trying to find it. Finally the oil pressure starting getting lower but it was not low on oil, and I discovered that there was oil dripping out of the end of the sensor where the wire attaches, and then dripping down on the a/t cooler lines! Apparently it got bad enough that the sensor was leaking enough pressure that it read low.

$36 at O'Reilly's and about 30 minutes fiddling with it.

Ol Blue K20 04-01-2021 08:31 PM

I did blood tests and showed up to find my cancer test postponed until tomorrow. What an awesome day........lol

LT7A 04-01-2021 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8902550)
I did blood tests and showed up to find my cancer test postponed until tomorrow. What an awesome day........lol

That sucks, but good luck on it tomorrow.