The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=212)
-   -   1969 SuperBurb build-up (Bagged and Blown!) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=200387)

Hart_Rod 06-16-2016 11:23 AM

Re: 1969 SuperBurb build-up (Bagged and Blown!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 7624658)
Dig it! You're gonna end up costing me money ;)

:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riveted1 (Post 7625013)
Don at SDS has great products and they are specifically made for automobiles. There is also a lot of great info on his site. https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.co...-cell-foam-ccf

Some people have been happy with generic foam. (1/8") http://www.thefoamfactory.com/closed...ticrubber.html

Others have used yoga mats. Just make sure they're closed cell foam so they don't retain moisture.

There are probably some CCF/MLV combination products out there, but I don't know who's making them these days. (I know Second Skin used to have Luxury Liner Pro, but I think they're out of business.)

Thanks for the links! The entire underside of my suburban is covered in Line-X. How much do you think that will aid in noise reduction?

72MARIO 06-16-2016 07:23 PM

I want those gauges for my ls swap. Any idea what it will take to get cluster like that ?

Riveted1 06-16-2016 07:32 PM

I'm not sure. The only vehicles I've been in that had the full line-x treatment underneath were 4x4's w/big tires.

I bet it does help, but without taking measurements before and after, I'd just be guessing at how much improvement you'll see w/the Line-X. It will increase the mass of the panels (which is the purpose of the CLD,) but the floors are pretty rigid compared to other areas of these burbs. The places that are really bad resonance-wise are the big panels; the hood, roof, rear sides and doors. It might also help by reducing road noise coming through the wheel wells. I'd be surprised if it didn't give you some thermal protection from the engine/exhaust, too.

With that said, most of those would probably just be bonuses to the protection it gives the vehicle. If you REALLY want it quiet like a new luxury car, you need to get the purpose-designed stuff, IMO.

Hart_Rod 06-17-2016 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72MARIO (Post 7627211)
I want those gauges for my ls swap. Any idea what it will take to get cluster like that ?

Dakota Digital should be have it listed as a product within the next 3-6 months.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riveted1 (Post 7627218)
I'm not sure. The only vehicles I've been in that had the full line-x treatment underneath were 4x4's w/big tires.

I bet it does help, but without taking measurements before and after, I'd just be guessing at how much improvement you'll see w/the Line-X. It will increase the mass of the panels (which is the purpose of the CLD,) but the floors are pretty rigid compared to other areas of these burbs. The places that are really bad resonance-wise are the big panels; the hood, roof, rear sides and doors. It might also help by reducing road noise coming through the wheel wells. I'd be surprised if it didn't give you some thermal protection from the engine/exhaust, too.

With that said, most of those would probably just be bonuses to the protection it gives the vehicle. If you REALLY want it quiet like a new luxury car, you need to get the purpose-designed stuff, IMO.

Thanks again for the info, I'll look into the engineered stuff.

Hart_Rod 07-05-2016 10:02 AM

Trying to get my boy ready for college this fall so progress has been slow. Still working on integrating all of the wiring harnesses while trying to making them look neat and clean. Hopefully I'm not to far away from a light off.

On a different note, I'm trying to decide if I want to go with 72 style door panels or the early style 69-71. I've tried to keep somewhat true to the "Cheyenne Super" look, but can't decide on this part. Plus, I'm not sure how hard it's going to be to track down the panels. Thoughts or suggestions?

smbrouss70 07-05-2016 10:12 AM

72 panels are difficult to find in decent condition, and the re-pops are junk. Your Burb is a 69, so I would go with the 69 only door panels which you can get a decent re-pop in that style.

Hart_Rod 07-05-2016 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 7643973)
72 panels are difficult to find in decent condition, and the re-pops are junk. Your Burb is a 69, so I would go with the 69 only door panels which you can get a decent re-pop in that style.

It's a 69, but I'm running a 72 grill and bumper, :D. I guess I'll look around for some 72 stuff before I make my decision.

gringoloco 07-05-2016 10:40 PM

Or run a 69/70 grille/bumper. They're sexy, just sayin :devil:

Hart_Rod 07-07-2016 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 7644617)
Or run a 69/70 grille/bumper. They're sexy, just sayin :devil:

:lol:, I hear you, but I've already spent a bunch of $$$$ on a new 72 grille, bumper and light setup, :metal:.

Hart_Rod 07-13-2016 08:08 AM

Ok, well I have been making progress, (the wiring is nearly done), but I have run into a couple of setbacks that will take about 3 weeks to overcome. Also I made another change that will slow me down somewhat until the new part comes in (late August, early September), so this saga continues......

C10_ustacould 07-13-2016 10:34 AM

Patience and perseverance...

gringoloco 07-13-2016 11:27 AM

Details?

Hart_Rod 07-18-2016 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C10_ustacould (Post 7651739)
Patience and perseverance...

I'm running short on both......:lol:.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 7651825)
Details?

Waiting on Vintage Air to build me some AC lines and waiting on the new Dakota Digital HDX gauges....:metal:.

smbrouss70 07-18-2016 10:43 AM

I don't remember if I asked you already or not, but do you think the burb will make it to CTC this year?

AnotherWs6 07-18-2016 11:20 AM

Where did you get that roof rack? Is that a factory accessory?

Number98 07-18-2016 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6 (Post 7657062)

He stole it... :D

AnotherWs6 07-18-2016 02:19 PM

Well can he steal me one too? That thing is :hot:

Hart_Rod 07-18-2016 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 7657029)
I don't remember if I asked you already or not, but do you think the burb will make it to CTC this year?

I'm not making any promises...just trying to make progress as fast as I can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6 (Post 7657062)

Yes. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number98 (Post 7657237)
He stole it... :D

:smoke: :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6 (Post 7657253)
Well can he steal me one too? That thing is :hot:

:lol: I could probably sell a 100 of them....:D

Hart_Rod 07-21-2016 09:14 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of the Retrosound radio I'm installing in the Burb. Looks like a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle, :lol:. The directions aren't the greatest, but I got it figured out. Pretty neat little setup, it comes with ipod connection, USB inputs, and it has Bluetooth! You can also change the screen LED colors. Hopefully it sounds as good as it looks, :). Thanks to Matt at MCB for the good price and quick shipment, :metal:. Still waiting on these HDX gauges also!

Dieselwrencher 07-21-2016 02:27 PM

Sure, they just had to come out with another cluster didn't they? :lol: Looking great Rob. I like your stereo too.

Hart_Rod 07-21-2016 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 7660405)
Sure, they just had to come out with another cluster didn't they? :lol: Looking great Rob. I like your stereo too.

Thanks!, I've been waiting on this cluster for 4 years!:lol:

gringoloco 07-21-2016 04:57 PM

What happened to not-a-clock, stock appearance gauges?

Hart_Rod 07-22-2016 11:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 7660553)
What happened to not-a-clock, stock appearance gauges?

I really like the new features of this one, so I ended up selling that to another board member. Check it out!

Lighting:
-Wide angle color TFT LCD Message Center(s), offering high brightness and contrast for tremendous visibility
-RGB Color selections; over 30 independent options for needle/backlight/TFT Message Center
-12 combo theme default options available or build your own
-Independent day/night color selections

Face and display:
-Standard dead face indicators, in addition to red warning LEDs for each gauge (except speedometer)
-Spun aluminum needle caps for an extra touch
-On power-up, needles sweep to full scale
-Integrated capacitive touch pushbutton switches, lit for easy identification at night. Control module contains separate switch inputs if remote switches are preferred. Buttons provide up/down menu selections for quick and simple navigation
-Split speedometer scale allows a 160 mph top end, but provides typical driving resolution of a 120mph speedometer
-Turn signal reminder
-Within the Message Center(s), the intuitive home screen displays the Speedometer/Odometer/Trip Odometer/Clock. If purchased separately (BIM-17-2, BIM-01-2, GSS-2000 or GPS-50-2), Compass/Outside Air temp/Gear Position can also be shown
-Beyond the default home screen, three programmable pages exist in a grid format, allowing user to display a wide array of data in each location

Control box, sensors, connections:
-Sensors and main cable include over molded ends for moisture resistance/strain relief
-Included buzzer, plugs into the back of display head and indicates a button press or a warning point exceeded.
-Two programmable inputs available, giving the user an option to assign a unique display name and priority of how they are displayed/cleared
-In the menu, the user can determine which warning points trigger the warning output, activating the buzzer or separate light, etc.

App, coming in late 2016:
-Bluetooth connection to tablet or smart phone
-Provides ultra-quick setup and calibration, graphically using sliders and radio buttons to view additional information. The app provides real time changes on the gauge system, making setup very intuitive
-Real time gauge readouts function as a diagnostic tool when working outside of the driver’s seat, but also a temporary auxiliary display
-Diagnostic mode provides sensor input details, assisting in troubleshooting a sensor, especially under the hood or away from view of the instrument system
-Remote access to demonstration mode

nastety92 07-22-2016 12:14 PM

Nice setup.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...od/prd1039.htm

Hart_Rod 07-22-2016 02:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More info on the gauges!

AnotherWs6 07-22-2016 02:57 PM

It is nice. And S, for only fifteen hundred bucks why not buy two? You'll have a spare.

Hart_Rod 07-22-2016 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6 (Post 7661456)
It is nice. And S, for only fifteen hundred bucks why not buy two? You'll have a spare.

Not sure if you were meaning that to be a SA comment or no (if so, it isn't necessary...).

Either way, I understand what you are saying, but it can be purchased cheaper than their retail price on the website (DD doesn't like to deal with the public). But considering the functionality, the modularity, and the variation in colors and setup, you will have a gauge system that will last your truck for a very long time. Call me a geek, but I really like this setup. And in all honesty, you would be hard pressed to build a set of component gauges and parts for much cheaper (not talking about the retail price).

AnotherWs6 07-22-2016 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 7661464)
Not sure if you were meaning that to be a SA comment or no (if so, it isn't necessary...).

Either way, I understand what you are saying, but it can be purchased cheaper than their retail price on the website (DD doesn't like to deal with the public). But considering the functionality, the modularity, and the variation in colors and setup, you will have a gauge system that will last your truck for a very long time. Call me a geek, but I really like this setup. And in all honesty, you would be hard pressed to build a set of component gauges and parts for much cheaper (not talking about the retail price).

Not a NEGATIVE SA comment, just a bit of a shocked reaction to the price. I was expecting like 7 or 8 hundred. 15 beans is a lot of money.

Gotcha on the retail comment.

They do look nice. Not crazy about the digital aspect, but to each his own of course. And yeah - gauges are expensive in general.

Hart_Rod 07-22-2016 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6 (Post 7661472)
Not a NEGATIVE SA comment, just a bit of a shocked reaction to the price. I was expecting like 7 or 8 hundred. 15 beans is a lot of money.

Gotcha on the retail comment.

They do look nice. Not crazy about the digital aspect, but to each his own of course. And yeah - gauges are expensive in general.

OK, wasn't sure, :). Their old system listed retail for $895. This one list retail for $1395. Both can be bought cheaper from board vendors. And who knows, maybe the price will come down more. I really just like the flexibility of this setup.

shearjs 07-24-2016 09:41 PM

That Retrosound is a nice unit. I have the same one in my truck and really like it.

AnotherWs6 07-25-2016 10:16 AM

I have heard a lot of good things about Retrosound and have - still am - seriously considering one. Problem is that I listen to Sirius 99.7% of the time I'm in any of my vehicles and would really prefer to have a head unit that works with it rather than having a separate satellite tuner, or using my phone. But it may be the way to go in order to avoid a hokey remote mount of a modern unit somewhere - glove box, marine mount etc.

Anyway, yeah, it looks great. Fits right in with everything else you have going on.

What's the story with your HVAC control? Did you weld the factory hole up?

Hart_Rod 07-25-2016 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shearjs (Post 7663653)
That Retrosound is a nice unit. I have the same one in my truck and really like it.

:metal::metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6 (Post 7663957)
I have heard a lot of good things about Retrosound and have - still am - seriously considering one. Problem is that I listen to Sirius 99.7% of the time I'm in any of my vehicles and would really prefer to have a head unit that works with it rather than having a separate satellite tuner, or using my phone. But it may be the way to go in order to avoid a hokey remote mount of a modern unit somewhere - glove box, marine mount etc.

Anyway, yeah, it looks great. Fits right in with everything else you have going on.

What's the story with your HVAC control? Did you weld the factory hole up?

Can you use the Bluetooth function to stream from your phone to the radio? I welded the factory hole up and cut it out so I could run the Dakota Digital 2500 control unit. I did this 8 years ago. You can now buy a panel that bolts into the factory hole and allows you to bolt in the DD setup.

AnotherWs6 07-25-2016 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 7663960)
:metal::metal:

Can you use the Bluetooth function to stream from your phone to the radio? I welded the factory hole up and cut it out so I could run the Dakota Digital 2500 control unit. I did this 8 years ago. You can now buy a panel that bolts into the factory hole and allows you to bolt in the DD setup.

I can stream from my phone, I'd just prefer not to. I know it may not seem like a big deal, but I find it annoying. This is what I do in my TransAm and frankly, unless it's going to be a long drive, I often don't even bother with it. Seems like the connection gets lost far too often, then I'm driving and trying to re-pair the damn things. It's difficult to navigate the Sirius app while driving as well, it's just not safe to be driving and squinting at a phone.

I like simple, clean. I'm surprised no one has offered anything like this with Sirius given how all new cars come with it as an option. I can't be the only one with this awful, 1st world problem.

Very cool on the HVAC deal

67ChevyRedneck 07-25-2016 12:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just bought a set of VHX gauges from a board vendor, saved a lot over the Dakota retail price. Check the vendors market place, there's a couple guys offering Dakota summer sales. The price on the HDX could come down some, but Dakota recently raised prices across the board a few months ago.

I like the new series but couldn't justify the cost for a 350 powered truck. I used to hate the dakota gauges until I saw they make analog versions now, and a truck club member had one in his truck... I was sold.

I got this one:

Dieselwrencher 07-25-2016 04:15 PM

The cost of the DD clusters aren't cheap, but like Rob said. By the time you buy all the gauges to do what one of these clusters has integrated in it, you will have a lot of gauges every where and a lot of money in it. That's why I went with the VHX in my truck. There just isn't a good place to put extra gauges in these trucks and have them visible. Sue, you can get an expensive dash pad with gauges in it. But they aren't in an ideal location either. Just my .02 on them. :lol:

AnotherWs6 07-26-2016 10:24 AM

Are there actually dash pads designed specifically for our trucks that have gauge pods in them? I recently purchased a pair of O2 sensors and gauges along with a myriad of gauge pods. I want to run the O2's so I can dial my carb in for all/different situations. I bought a bunch of pods so that I can play around with location etc. A dash pad with pods might be right up my ally. Any more info?

Hart_Rod 07-26-2016 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 7664273)
The cost of the DD clusters aren't cheap, but like Rob said. By the time you buy all the gauges to do what one of these clusters has integrated in it, you will have a lot of gauges every where and a lot of money in it. That's why I went with the VHX in my truck. There just isn't a good place to put extra gauges in these trucks and have them visible. Sue, you can get an expensive dash pad with gauges in it. But they aren't in an ideal location either. Just my .02 on them. :lol:

:metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6 (Post 7664934)
Are there actually dash pads designed specifically for our trucks that have gauge pods in them? I recently purchased a pair of O2 sensors and gauges along with a myriad of gauge pods. I want to run the O2's so I can dial my carb in for all/different situations. I bought a bunch of pods so that I can play around with location etc. A dash pad with pods might be right up my ally. Any more info?

These people used to make them: http://www.justdashes.com/gallery/

shearjs 07-31-2016 09:03 PM

Rob, I use the Bluetooth all the time to stream music that I have saved in my phone and occasionally from Pandora. Works great!

AnotherWs6 08-01-2016 09:43 AM

What about hands free?

Hart_Rod 08-01-2016 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shearjs (Post 7670276)
Rob, I use the Bluetooth all the time to stream music that I have saved in my phone and occasionally from Pandora. Works great!

I can't wait!

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6 (Post 7670668)
What about hands free?

The RetroSound fourth generation Model Two Radios are the most technologically-advanced radio ever made for your classic vehicle, offering a classic in-dash look and featuring modern playback capabilities from today's digital music sources and wireless Bluetooth® enabled devices.
This is the only Made-For-iPod® radio for vintage vehicles that allows iPod/iPhone® direct control and charging via USB input, and also the only with built-in Bluetooth® connectivity for hands-free phone calls and wireless audio streaming. It also features an AM/FM Tuner with Radio Display System(RDS) to display artist and title information on the display screen.

This is a breakthrough classic car radio offering flexible mounting options with the Patented "InfiniMount" adjustable shaft system, optional faceplete extension cable and installation kits available for most popular classic vehicles. You can talk hands-free, stream audio programming to the receiver with your smartphone, connect your MP3 and WMA music files or USB thumb drive to the two rear USB ports. You'll also find two auxiliary inputs on the rear of the receiver for other sources, like a satellite radio tuner.

The optional Vintage Radio Dial Screen Protectors allow you to add authenticity and style to your receiver while still allowing you to see the digital numbers behind the graphics. They're easy to apply, they look great, and they'll help prevent scratches and everyday damage. You can also choose from 32,0000 backlight colors so the adjustable-angle LCD display will look just right in your dash.

General Features: •AM/FM RDS tuner with 30 pre-sets
•Radio Display System (RDS) capable tuner to view artists name and song titles on FM stations that broadcast text information(no built-in CD player)
•Built-in amplifier (25 watts RMS/45 peak x 4 channels)
•Built-in Bluetooth® for hands-free calling and audio streaming
•Plays MP3 and WMA music files from external sources (no internal CD player)
•InfiniMount shaft/bracket system fits most car dash openings
•Adjustable-angle LCD display with 32,0000 backlight color choices
•Wide variety of vehicle dash kits available to match your application
•Radio body can be mounted remotely with optional extension cable
Audio Features:
•AM/FM RDS tuner with 30 pre-sets (18 FM/12 AM)
•User-controlled bass/treble/fader/balance adjustment
•25 watts x 4 channel RMS power amplifier
Expandability:
•iPod/iPhone® direct control and charging via USB input
•Inputs: Dual rear auxiliary and USB inputs
•Outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (2.85-volt front, rear, and subwoofer)
Note: Vehicle Installation Kits are sold separately below and are required to complete radio installation.