The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   48 Burb, bagged, 5.3, 20 year wait (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=627134)

T-P Auto 08-27-2017 11:53 PM

Re: 48 Burb, bagged, 5.3, 20 year wait

Doug;

Glad to hear from you again;
Sometimes family just comes first n foremost;

T-P Auto
Tim

lower50's 08-28-2017 08:32 AM

Hey we all take a pause from time to time for some reason. Glad it's just normal life stuff.

99 to Life 08-28-2017 09:51 AM

miss seeing the burb, well I kinda like not seeing it in my face cause I want one so bad. but none the less, we all can agree we like seeing what you got going on.

Root2812 10-15-2017 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7467399)
The same FedEx truck had the Hooker exhaust manifolds from Amazon. I followed FarmerSid's lead on these and ordered them Thursday.

They fit! Left side has a lot of clearance and the right side top of frame rail will need 1/4" or so shaved off.

While these look to be nice pieces, I was surprised to read in the instructions they can't be used for a new engine break in as the ceramic coating isn't cured yet. Hooker advises to use some other exhaust manifolds to break in the engine then install the new ones. They even give a break in process for the ceramic coating.

Did you have clearance issues with your starter or dip stick tube? I have a stock 5.3 starter and the manifold (same one as you) hit the heat shield. My f body oil pan dip stick tube hits the manifold too. Is your engine perfectly centered? I have the same right frame rail you did but my engine is about 1/4 off center right now. I'm thinking of moving it but I don't want to lose steering clearance.

Advanced Design 10-15-2017 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Root2812 (Post 8061227)
Did you have clearance issues with your starter or dip stick tube? I have a stock 5.3 starter and the manifold (same one as you) hit the heat shield. My f body oil pan dip stick tube hits the manifold too. Is your engine perfectly centered? I have the same right frame rail you did but my engine is about 1/4 off center right now. I'm thinking of moving it but I don't want to lose steering clearance.

Hi Root, I haven't test fit the starter yet, though if your heat shield hits the manifold mine probably will too. The engine is centered and I moved my column about 1 1/2" to the left.

If my dipstick tube contacts, I'll try bending and forming for clearance or find one that does clear. Darn...well at least the used F body pan works.

Root2812 10-16-2017 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 8061372)
Hi Root, I haven't test fit the starter yet, though if your heat shield hits the manifold mine probably will too. The engine is centered and I moved my column about 1 1/2" to the left.

If my dipstick tube contacts, I'll try bending and forming for clearance or find one that does clear. Darn...well at least the used F body pan works.

I only mocked up the manifolds with 2 bolts each to see if they would fit. I need to pull my engine again anyway so now I know where to clearance the frame. I popped the heat shield off the starter so I can at least use this one for the initial start up but I am guessing I may find the heat to damage the starter in the long run so I'll be pricing those mini starters.

I plan to leave my steering in the stock location so I may have to modify the frame a bit if I can't move the engine to perfect center.

I am going to try and bend the dipstick tube too but maybe a fancy lokar one would be better. I don't have a dipstick for my 4l60e at all so if I go lokar atleast they will match. It just barely touches so a slight bend should do it if you aren't running a fuel rail cover with the set opening for the dipstick. You must have used the f-body pan too? It worked really well with my Mustang II IFS.

Did your manifold come with gaskets? I didn't see any in my box.

Advanced Design 10-16-2017 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Root2812 (Post 8062004)
You must have used the f-body pan too? It worked really well with my Mustang II IFS.

Did your manifold come with gaskets? I didn't see any in my box.

Yes, I used a used F body pan and it fits fine in this application. No, the manifold didn't come with gaskets.

Advanced Design 02-11-2018 02:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Guys, apologies for lack of progress and updates.

As often said, life does get in the way. My wife's cancer returned last summer so I've lost enthusiasm for working on the Burb right now. We have a real battle going for her health, so your prayers and positive thoughts are appreciated.

The Burb is right there on the lift just waiting....

And while my heart isn't in the Burb right now, we did buy a new car trailer (she insisted). Check it out here....http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post8185000

smbrouss70 02-11-2018 02:33 PM

Sorry to hear about your wife's cancer coming back, my mom has had an ongoing battle for almost 6 years. Your wife and your family will definitely be in our prayers.

mongocanfly 02-11-2018 02:53 PM

so sorry to hear that Doug. ...will be praying for her...

joedoh 02-11-2018 04:10 PM

doug I am so sorry to hear about your wife. please let me know if there is anything you need, no matter how trivial

Scott2 02-11-2018 06:50 PM

Sorry to hear that Doug - hoping for the best!

JSavoie 02-11-2018 08:42 PM

Eventhough I'm a stranger, I can feel your pain. My prayers are with you and your wife.

From up North...

JJorgensen52 02-11-2018 10:46 PM

Always hard news to hear. Thoughts and prayers for you and your wife, Doug

oldman3 02-12-2018 12:28 AM

Doug, you know Cindy has been in my prayers daily, since we first got to know each other, they will continue for the whole family...Jim

Advanced Design 02-12-2018 02:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 8185013)
Sorry to hear about your wife's cancer coming back, my mom has had an ongoing battle for almost 6 years. Your wife and your family will definitely be in our prayers.

Thank you Steven. It is a terrible disease.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8185029)
so sorry to hear that Doug. ...will be praying for her...

Really thank you Greg.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 8185097)
doug I am so sorry to hear about your wife. please let me know if there is anything you need, no matter how trivial

Thank you. I really enjoy checking build updates as they help give me a bit of a respite...so keep building please! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott2 (Post 8185268)
Sorry to hear that Doug - hoping for the best!

Thank you Scott!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSavoie (Post 8185379)
Eventhough I'm a stranger, I can feel your pain. My prayers are with you and your wife.

From up North...

Thank you! I was lucky she figured I was a keeper 39 years ago. Through these trucks and our collective interest in them we pass by being strangers pretty quickly. Really appreciate the prayers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJorgensen52 (Post 8185518)
Always hard news to hear. Thoughts and prayers for you and your wife, Doug

Thanks JJ! Looking forward to your shop, truck, Buick and 66 convert updates...you have a lot going on!

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8185652)
Doug, you know Cindy has been in my prayers daily, since we first got to know each other, they will continue for the whole family...Jim

Thank you Jim. We appreciate the prayers and cherish your friendship! Hope to see paint on your fender soon.

MIKESAD50 02-12-2018 04:42 PM

Thoughts and well wishes for you and your family.

youngrodder 02-12-2018 04:57 PM

Keep your head up Doug.....You have a lot of people praying and pulling for you and your wife.

Take care
Marc

99 to Life 02-13-2018 12:14 AM

I couldn't imagine going through this. Aside from praying, honestly try this simple thing. Eat a plant based diet. very little or no cheese, dairy, meat. Cancers thrive on animal protein. Its a big lifestyle change for some, but it is more than easy these days. Worth a shot. Tons of documentaries and studies out there to back up this diet and how it helps so many people with diabetes, cancers, chronic pain, weight loss list goes on. Think about it, what is the most important thing for our bodies? Food,air, water. Doctors have their place, but rarely ever ask about what you eat. Bless you, your wife and family.

joedoh 02-15-2018 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 8186070)

Thank you. I really enjoy checking build updates as they help give me a bit of a respite...so keep building please! :)

I am doing a 49 next and wait till you see it, I have a neat idea that I think will work!

Advanced Design 02-15-2018 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIKESAD50 (Post 8186182)
Thoughts and well wishes for you and your family.

Thank you Mike! Man, your truck came out nice!

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 8186192)
Keep your head up Doug.....You have a lot of people praying and pulling for you and your wife.

Take care
Marc

Appreciate that Marc!

Advanced Design 02-15-2018 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 to Life (Post 8186587)
I couldn't imagine going through this. Aside from praying, honestly try this simple thing. Eat a plant based diet. very little or no cheese, dairy, meat. Cancers thrive on animal protein. Its a big lifestyle change for some, but it is more than easy these days. Worth a shot. Tons of documentaries and studies out there to back up this diet and how it helps so many people with diabetes, cancers, chronic pain, weight loss list goes on. Think about it, what is the most important thing for our bodies? Food,air, water. Doctors have their place, but rarely ever ask about what you eat. Bless you, your wife and family.

Thanks 99, we've had others share the same thoughts with us.

Advanced Design 02-15-2018 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 8188763)
I am doing a 49 next and wait till you see it, I have a neat idea that I think will work!

Awesome, will stay tuned in and look forward to that project! I don't know how you can keep going so fast.

Advanced Design 02-15-2018 10:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I fixed a shop roller tire that kept going flat. Pretty lame I know...though at least it was something I did for the Burb.

lower50's 02-16-2018 08:36 AM

Sorry to hear about your wife Doug. Cancer sucks! Keep your head up and give her all the support she needs like I'm sure you are.

T-P Auto 02-17-2018 11:54 PM

Doug;

I have not been on here much lately.
I sorry to hear about your wife.
I want to wish you all the best.
Sometimes it just help to take you mind off the problem, even if just for a few hours.
Have been trying to get panels n part together for my NEW build.
Putting a 57 panel on a 78 chevy pu .5 ton frame.

T-P Auto
Tim

Advanced Design 02-18-2018 09:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 8189374)
Sorry to hear about your wife Doug. Cancer sucks! Keep your head up and give her all the support she needs like I'm sure you are.

Thanks Lower...you know it! Guessing you are really enjoying your new shop this winter?

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-P Auto (Post 8190897)
Doug;

I have not been on here much lately.
I sorry to hear about your wife.
I want to wish you all the best.
Sometimes it just help to take you mind off the problem, even if just for a few hours.
Have been trying to get panels n part together for my NEW build.
Putting a 57 panel on a 78 chevy pu .5 ton frame.

T-P Auto
Tim

Tim, thank you! Hope you are enjoying your new project. If you get a chance, please share your progress with us on your build thread.

With all that is going on, we still have some good times when the grandsons come over. They are learning to drive with their Gators.

oldman3 02-18-2018 10:17 AM

Love it, way to go grandpa (Doug)...Jim

rusty76 02-18-2018 10:49 AM

Sorry to hear about your wife’s battle with cancer. I hope and pray all will be well. Cancer really does suck. Take care and keep your head up.

lower50's 02-26-2018 07:43 PM

I sure am enjoying it.

Advanced Design 02-26-2018 08:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8191060)
Love it, way to go grandpa (Doug)...Jim

Ha...we had a good time again yesterday checking out the flooding river.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 8191085)
Sorry to hear about your wife’s battle with cancer. I hope and pray all will be well. Cancer really does suck. Take care and keep your head up.

Thank rusty! It’s tough ... and we are still enjoying our journey together.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 8198286)
I sure am enjoying it.

Great! Enjoying ...Your shop!

Advanced Design 02-26-2018 08:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
All the shop time and play over the years is paying off. Oldest Grandson was able to get under there way better than me. He tightened the fasteners on the back side of the license plate. And the younger one held the fasteners for us.
Maybe it was silly, I was really proud of the boys for helping. They did well.

Wife laughed and said...Oh fudge....! Ralphies line in Christmas story when he was helping his Dad change the flat tire, and the lug nuts went flying.

T-P Auto 02-26-2018 10:15 PM

Doug; :mm:

I seem to remember that most of us got our start doing the same thing;
I pray that the wife is having some good days with the boys too;
I send a pray to the both of you;
It has been so cold(no snow) just wind n cold.
I have not been doing much in the shop on the build.
Once it start to warm up I have alot of work to do to get started.
Enjoy your time with the boys.as they grow up fast.

T-P Auto :chevy:
Tim

oldman3 02-27-2018 01:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Doug, saw this on facebook, and it fit with the grandsons, four wheeler, and water...Jim

mongocanfly 02-27-2018 02:57 AM

Jim..now that's funny...hahaha...
Doug..i know you gotta be proud that your gks are willing to help...

joedoh 02-27-2018 11:24 AM

doug that picture of your grandson in the rzr, looks like ralphie! maybe its just that picture but thats actually what popped into my mind before I read your wifes "oh fudge" comment.

my kids, the old saying is they "wouldnt pee on my stuff if it was on fire", I am hoping for interested grandkids someday. enjoy the extra hands!

Advanced Design 02-27-2018 10:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by T-P Auto (Post 8198447)
Doug; :mm:

I seem to remember that most of us got our start doing the same thing;
I pray that the wife is having some good days with the boys too;
I send a pray to the both of you;
It has been so cold(no snow) just wind n cold.
I have not been doing much in the shop on the build.
Once it start to warm up I have alot of work to do to get started.
Enjoy your time with the boys.as they grow up fast.

T-P Auto :chevy:
Tim

We really did Tim. At 5 years old I had to clean the cooling fan on the Mack when Dad replaced the headgaskets. I’ve been hooked every since. Thank you for your prayers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8198633)
Doug, saw this on facebook, and it fit with the grandsons, four wheeler, and water...Jim

Jim that is hilarious! Perfect! Thank you we both got a laugh from that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8198674)
Jim..now that's funny...hahaha...
Doug..i know you gotta be proud that your gks are willing to help...

It is really cool that they want to help! We’ve tried to make the shop a fun place for years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 8198842)
doug that picture of your grandson in the rzr, looks like ralphie! maybe its just that picture but thats actually what popped into my mind before I read your wifes "oh fudge" comment.

my kids, the old saying is they "wouldnt pee on my stuff if it was on fire", I am hoping for interested grandkids someday. enjoy the extra hands!

We get a lot of Ralphie from the Christmas Story comments. And we really appreciate the extra hands too.

Advanced Design 04-22-2018 09:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Burb project is still on pause, though I am starting to get more enthused to continue on. Grandsons have been asking... wife is fighting hard and holding stable. Praise the Lord!

We’ve had the front of the shop jammed with stuff since we’ve been busy with some upgrades to the back half of the shop.

Feel free to check it out if you haven’t already.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=760563

oldman3 04-22-2018 09:44 AM

Doug, so happy to hear Cindy is stable, she's in my prayers daily.

mongocanfly 04-22-2018 09:53 AM

glad to hear Mrs AD is stable and still fighting....prayers going out.....