The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today part IV (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=729696)

hambone61 03-02-2020 06:26 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today part IV

About $400.00

CRoss 03-02-2020 07:46 PM

Finished removing rear springs and mounts today in order to put new drop springs on my ‘63 longbed. Problem is the bottom bolts on both trailing arms are stuck in there. Heads snapped off while trying to remove them. Looks like tomorrow I will be drilling them out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Steeveedee 03-02-2020 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by studeclunker (Post 8688020)
what's the difference between a Fuel Cell and a Gas Tank?

From a quick GOOGLE search:

Safety fuel cells work just like the gas tank on your street car, but they are designed to prevent spilled fuel in the event of a racing incident. ... Fuel cells generally consist of three parts: The outer can or enclosure, the bladder, and the foam baffling. The fuel cell enclosure is typically made of steel or aluminum.

jchav62 03-03-2020 10:09 AM

Quote:

From what I've heard, and it could be wrong... a fuel cell is usually made for racing, it is not metal, usually plastic and has foam inside for baffling for hard accelerations. I'm sure there are probably more to it than that, but that's my $0.02... :ito::chevy:

forestb 03-03-2020 05:28 PM

Quote:

Definition wise I don't know but i can tell you why I bought a tank to replace my cell.

1. the cell started to warp. The top started sagging inward and the bottom started bowing upward. Yes it was vented, and no, the straps were not to tight.

2. The sending unit did not go all the way to the bottom of the cell, so I never had a correct reading of how much fuel I had left.

3. It came with AN -8 fittings so I ran an -8 fuel line that I think has been causing all sorts of problems sense I installed it. I know I could just replace the line but I needed an excuse to replace the cell with a tank;)

4. I was constantly smelling gas around the cell.

If that doesn't convince you, would you like to buy a used jazz fuel cell?

forestb 03-10-2020 05:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed a pol rear sway bar on my 62. The truck is Still up in the air so I have not tried it out yet

studeclunker 03-12-2020 05:05 PM

That sway-bar reminds me I need shocks on my own Kidney Bouncer.

I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why my battery isn't charging and staying away from hammers and large wrenches so I don't do anything I might seriously regret!
https://media.tenor.com/images/4b713...d50f/tenor.gif

crewguy 03-21-2020 02:37 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Todays day of self isolation included installing the new front park lights on the GMC. The counterpart lenses come with rivets which are way bigger than originals, and don't look good installed...5/16" as apposed to the lense openings of 3/16"...you can see the difference in the picture before and after. I filed down the rivets by hand to fit. Drilled out the holes on the housing as the rivet stems are a little larger too. Used an oversized punch with the lenses placed on an anvil to gently splay the hollow core aluminum rivets. Thinking I might try a felt pen or paint to tone down the color of the aluminum heads...Were the originals brass or metal? Problem solved, and they look great

LostMy65 03-21-2020 03:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the bumper installed. And mocking up the tailgate.

rustyrodknocker 03-22-2020 11:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More life hours into floors. I'm over it.

norcalcap 03-23-2020 12:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally got the Vintage Air installed and charged. I didn't like the look of the plastic box. Built this carpeted cover to reduce the fan noise and attempt to improve the look. It didn't turn out quite like the idea in my head, but it did reduce the noise and is easy to install and remove. The back was left open for air flow, only sides, front, and bottom are covered.

LostMy65 03-23-2020 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustyrodknocker (Post 8700258)
More life hours into floors. I'm over it.

Most tinkering on these trucks is therapeutic for me. But, for some reason the patch panels seem like work to me.

straight6chevyguy 03-23-2020 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norcalcap (Post 8700505)
Finally got the Vintage Air installed and charged. I didn't like the look of the plastic box. Built this carpeted cover to reduce the fan noise and attempt to improve the look. It didn't turn out quite like the idea in my head, but it did reduce the noise and is easy to install and remove. The back was left open for air flow, only sides, front, and bottom are covered.

Looks good!

UK62LW 03-23-2020 04:07 PM

Took a break from refitting the front suspension to throw on my 'new' Road Runner camper shell.

I'm thinking it needs a chop (lose half the height of the chicken light strip?) but I'll have to see it on its wheels to be sure..

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...e0bfe620_h.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...eb352af6_h.jpg

forestb 03-23-2020 07:49 PM

Did final install (Lord willing) of my new gas tank. Next run a fuel line.

goatless 03-23-2020 08:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed the hood I bought from a guy on OfferUp, only to find that the passenger-side is dented, and I'll probably have to remove it to try to bend it back :(

pdxhall 03-24-2020 12:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I patched the passenger side cab corner.

nhtc33d 03-24-2020 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortstep60 (Post 8627959)
I built a clutch master cylinder bracket that bolts on the inside of 60 truck. I bought a 3/4 bore master cylinder from speedway motors and made it work very clean and simple. Might sale some on the parts side of the forum.
Posted via Mobile Device

I would be interested in seeing this bracket.

cwcarpenter98 03-25-2020 11:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I added some door switches and floor lamps to Frankentruck today. So much nicer being able to see when getting in or out of the truck at night

jbgroby 03-26-2020 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I ordered a Summit Trans Jack to help with the transmission switch, made in China, you can almost see the hand sanitzer stains........ It went together very well with no missing parts, even though the box was torn in one corner. The base on the unit is very heavy duty, there are 1/2" bolts under to holds the footing agains the verticle part of the base as well. Although I'm only going to use it once, I split the cost with a buddy who will need it as well, the total was only $175.00 with shipping ($10.00 more due to weight).

We considered renting one for a week but that ran $81.00 so it was cheaper to simply buy it vs. having to pick it up & delivery back to the rental place.

goatless 03-26-2020 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbgroby (Post 8702540)
We considered renting one for a week but that ran $81.00 so it was cheaper to simply buy it vs. having to pick it up & delivery back to the rental place.

Probably a good move. Never know how long these 'simple' things end up taking.

jbgroby 03-27-2020 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goatless (Post 8702551)
Probably a good move. Never know how long these 'simple' things end up taking.

Thats exactly what we were thinking.

creep 03-30-2020 08:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finished up installing the Street Demon 750 on my 383.

forestb 04-03-2020 08:55 PM

Installed Russell an-6 fuel line today:bann::bann:
It fired up and no leaks (so far). Have not gotten to drive it yet

Chevy Fleetside 04-12-2020 03:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A few weeks ago I went up with my son and put the rebuilt cross member back in the truck. The calipers would not fit and I remembered I had to do some grinding the last time I put drop spindles in one of my trucks. Went back up and got that all sorted out and was able to get the truck back on the ground. So right now I have a 3" drop in the front with stock springs in the rear. I am sure it will drop down more when I put the engine back it. I also have new springs in the front.