The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   68 aka "Chained in Porterbuilt Prison" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=475791)

jtp67-72 12-06-2014 03:19 PM

Re: 68 aka "Chained in Porterbuilt Prison"

3 Attachment(s)
Ok i'm back....just shot dash...little cut and buff early this week and it will go on rotisserie .....this ended up being a custom reddish orange color .....similar to matador red in 57......to match the custom buckets im having made......can't wait to put the billet pieces in this dash!!......jim

Bennett68C10 12-06-2014 04:11 PM

Wow that looks awesome but I'm partial to red :lol: I'm painting mine Torch Red and White two tone. Can't wait to see more.

oldman3 12-06-2014 06:18 PM

Glad your back, I'm like you, can't wait to see the billet against the red...Jim

jtp67-72 12-06-2014 10:03 PM

When u see these in there u will see where i mixed this color from .....seat vinyl not as orange as pic.....and add either marquez or fesler panels should look good..Working with Eric (superflystein) on some Marquez pieces....jim

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-Interi...057821?vxp=mtr

C10Greg 12-06-2014 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtp67-72 (Post 6947277)
When u see these in there u will see where i mixed this color from .....seat vinyl not as orange as pic.....and add either marquez or fesler panels should look good..Working with Eric (superflystein) on some Marquez pieces....jim

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-Interi...057821?vxp=mtr

I have the complete Marquez Interior Kit. Fit and finish is excellent.

jtp67-72 12-06-2014 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C10Greg (Post 6947288)
I have the complete Marquez Interior Kit. Fit and finish is excellent.

i need pics!!!
especially the cab liner...jim

C10Greg 12-06-2014 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtp67-72 (Post 6947357)
i need pics!!!
especially the cab liner...jim

I don't have any pics yet. I work on my truck in my back yard so it's covered up right now from the rain and all the interior pieces are in my garage. Here is what I can tell you if it helps.

The quality of the interior panels is excellent as is the finish. The fiberglass is pretty thick and all the panels feel very sturdy. The only panels I have not fit yet are the kick panels because they were not finished yet when I test fit all of the other parts.

The headliner was the piece I was worried about the most, especially because I was going to have to fit it by myself. It was recommended by Pascual Marquez to install the headliner with out the glass in the truck. It is made a little bit long so that it can be trimmed to fit perfect around the front and rear glass rubber and the door rubber. The nice thing about the extra length is that if some one were going to do a flush mount windshield, the headliner would go all the way to the windshield with no gaps. My headliner fit so snug, I didn't even have to use clamps to hold it in place while I marked the holes for drilling. The headliner is held in place by the interior dome light, the rear view mirror and the visors. It will also be held in place by the seat belt mounting holes should you choose to have 3 point seat belts. If you go back and look at Eric's Tootsie, you will notice the headliner is one piece. The actual production headliners are two piece.

The trickiest part of installing the headliner is finding a way to locate all of the holes once the headliner has been properly fitted. I know this won't work for everyone but what I did was first locate the holes for the three point seat belts since these were fairly easy to locate. So here is the part that is not for everyone. I removed the headliner and I welded up all the holes for the rear view mirror and the sun visors and ground them smooth. I put the headliner back in and screwed in the bolts for the three point seat belts. Now I just put the mirror brackets and visor brackets in the location very close to where they would normally go and I drilled the new holes through the headliner and roof at the same time. That might not be the easiest way, but it worked for me. Hope this helps.

jtp67-72 12-07-2014 12:32 AM

are the windshield post pieces separate ?? looks like it in Eric's pics he sent me......paint or upholstery on the liner for u??...thanx jim

C10Greg 12-07-2014 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtp67-72 (Post 6947455)
are the windshield post pieces separate ?? looks like it in Eric's pics he sent me......paint or upholstery on the liner for u??...thanx jim

Yes, the A-pillar pieces are separate and they fit between the the windshield rubber and the door rubber. I know Eric screwed his in where the screws are exposed but that is the look he was going for. The pillar covers fit pretty snug so if you wanted to use something like velcro to hold them in place I don't think it would be a problem. My plan is to cover the interior in leather, although they finish is nice enough that you could paint the pieces including the headliner.

superflysteiny 12-09-2014 12:46 PM

Yes he is correct although if you want a one piece headliner it can be done you just need the seat out and the column out of the truck. or at least have the column down. I am not just saying this but there is no comparison between fesler and marquez when it comes to quality. c10greg kit is one of the first kits the new kits will be even nicer as they have fixed all the little issues they had with the mold. Just my two cents hope it helps. I am going to Marquez shop on Thursday I will have prices then

3drburb 12-11-2014 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtp67-72 (Post 6798217)
Ok guys....got the drivetrain in and mostly done......and now notice that's not an ls3....after all the money I spent on the black widow clone next to it .....it was decided to run the true 10 to 1 patriot headed ram jet 355 I had on the stand....the 8-9k price difference between what I wanted and this drivetrain was the deciding factor for the time being....the plan is to eventually put the 355 in the widow and "ls" the truck..not a problem going back since I set this truck up for ls....the 355/700r combo was ran in a 55 orange 2 dr wagon on last years Power Tour...3100 miles in a week....so it's been tested........Oh yeah the intake is still at Advanced in Nashville.....yeah I've been accused of "blinging" things!.........jim

You are doing some beautiful work, it's hard to believe that you will be putting a body on that frame.
Just put it in the living room and start with another project truck.
Absolutely stunning!

mcbassin 12-18-2014 02:21 PM

Awesome progress Jim! Love the interior paint :metal:
I missed the chassis update a while back. It looks great too.

67cheby 12-18-2014 02:33 PM

Would you look at that ! Just look at it would ya !

Dieselwrencher 12-18-2014 04:21 PM

That dash looks awesome! Great work!

jtp67-72 12-18-2014 08:58 PM

thanx guys.....what a pain in azz to buff!!!..........billet on by weekend........jim

jtp67-72 12-21-2014 09:16 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Can u say "Retro" anyone?? And i got the ram jet back from the plater.....oh boy..........jim

ajgriffin 12-21-2014 10:56 PM

Ahhh yeah!!! That looks nice! :metal: What are you going to put on the passenger side of the dash?

oldman3 12-22-2014 12:14 AM

Dash is looking sweet, and that intake :bling2::bling: ...Jim

jtp67-72 12-22-2014 12:30 AM

Both bezels painted dash color with vhx gauges...pass side will have black speaker screen with a billet clock delete.............unless i change my mind!!.....the reason i'm painting bezels is i had to extremely mod them to fit the "rollback" in the arch i put in (to aim the gauges upward more). But i wish i had left them stock......lot less headaches......jim

Bowtie468 12-22-2014 11:23 PM

my goodness that's beautiful ! Awesome build you've got here.:metal:

jtp67-72 12-22-2014 11:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanx guys.....guess i'm happiest with all the welded seams below the a.c. vents...those were tedious bodywork ...all worth it to bring dash lower to cover heater box....or shall i say "vintage air" box.......got cab on rotiserrie....cleaning up high hump and drive shaft notch and welds from seat brackets..should be painted this time next week.....I paint mine in stages...bottom first...then firewall from pinch welds up to windshield ...then cab and jambs....some think it's over kill but it lets you get better control of your work without dry spots from overspray...etc.......jim

oldman3 12-23-2014 12:22 AM

That's going to be nice and clean underneath...Jim

Harley guy 12-23-2014 11:56 AM

Awsome truck, love the attention to detail.

jtp67-72 01-01-2015 09:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Weather sucking here but able to get bottom straightened out and in full primer..sanding ...sealer...paint in couple of days.........jim

oldman3 01-02-2015 12:15 AM

Looks great...Jim