The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today part III (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=644788)

jayoldschool 08-23-2015 08:40 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today part III

Pulled my deluxe steering wheel to center it, turned out perfect. Truck drives straight, now the wheel is straight, too!

Found that the fuel line connection to the new sender was dripping a little. I had smelled gas last week, so I'm glad I found it. Tightened, no more drip.

Time to stop procrastinating and install my custom side trim! I've got nothing else to do...

sk8er32283 08-23-2015 11:43 PM

Disassembled the rest of my 400SBC in preparation to take it over to the machine shop tomorrow. Removed the entire serp setup from a donor 350 and made a big mess in my garage that now needs to be cleaned up.

OldChevy61 08-28-2015 02:25 PM

Got the torsion bars out, spindles and hubs off. Upper arms off,now to the lowers. 53 yr old torsion bars do not like to be removed,lol. Didn't realize front brake drums would be riveted to the hubs.

schpeen 08-28-2015 02:49 PM

Adjusted new Lokar cables and changed out the governor weights and springs a few times now the truck shifts nice and smooth when driven normally but when you punch it she kicks down a gear and revs to 7000 before snapping into the next gear. Wow!!! What a beast. OMG. The new 700R4 was stack shifting and I wasn't able to rev the engine past 3000 rpm before she would shift to the next gear so I wasn't getting anywhere near the peak torque. I figure we have about 425hp and about the same torque and it feels like a corvette when you punch it now!

Lugnutz65 08-28-2015 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldChevy61 (Post 7290662)
Got the torsion bars out, spindles and hubs off. Upper arms off,now to the lowers. 53 yr old torsion bars do not like to be removed,lol. Didn't realize front brake drums would be riveted to the hubs.

Grind off those rivets and knock them out. No need for them. Rebuild the hub and install fresh drums or turn the old drums. No more rivets needed.

Pappyx3! 08-28-2015 09:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally installed the HEI dist. And painted up valve cover... Still cleaning up and routing wiring but here's a few pics.

Only run this distributor for a few days but it could be the best $60 I've spent in a long time.

TJ's Chevy 08-28-2015 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappyx3! (Post 7291023)
Finally installed the HEI dist. And painted up valve cover... Still cleaning up and routing wiring but here's a few pics.

Only run this distributor for a few days but it could be the best $60 I've spent in a long time.

Looks good! Mine was $65. lol!

Pappyx3! 08-28-2015 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy (Post 7291027)
Looks good! Mine was $65. lol!

Thanks TJ, I waited for over 2 months for Speedmaster to get them back in stock. Upgrading gave the old girl some giddy up, quicker starting and a much smoother idle.

revjames 08-28-2015 09:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally!! Got the front crossmember completely rebuild painted with Por-15 assembled and put back on. Not all tonight of course. However I did get it put back on tonight and the trailing arms.

revjames 08-28-2015 09:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is another

Pappyx3! 08-28-2015 10:08 PM

Looks great Rev!

Jeepers Creepers 08-28-2015 10:46 PM

[QUOTE=sambrutay;7282618]I got tired of seeing my grill twisted on the right side.
So I thought I would pull it apart and see what was wrong.
before pic.

I love the dealer bumpers with words stamped in them.

DaddyOh 08-28-2015 11:41 PM

Finally 'locked' down the design... should get to building soon

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...psrgkrje95.jpg

scuderia 08-29-2015 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappyx3! (Post 7291023)

which one did you go with? been thinking of ditching my points dizi.

Pappyx3! 08-29-2015 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scuderia (Post 7291246)
which one did you go with? been thinking of ditching my points dizi.

Bought a Speedmaster. Here's a link. If there not in stock you may have to wait. Also check Jegs, they sale Speedmaster and may have stock.

http://store.speedmaster79.com/p-376...stributor.aspx

scuderia 08-29-2015 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappyx3! (Post 7291255)
Bought a Speedmaster. Here's a link. If there not in stock you may have to wait. Also check Jegs, they sale Speedmaster and may have stock.

http://store.speedmaster79.com/p-376...stributor.aspx

Thanks!

scuderia 08-29-2015 01:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
got my backup lights installed now I need to figure out how to get power to them. Truck came with out motor and trans and I've installed a later sm465 which has a switch on the trans. Anyone know what wires I should be looking for in the cab to make the connection?

scottco 08-29-2015 03:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finished building my dual snorkel air cleaner.....

TJ's Chevy 08-29-2015 11:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I got my engine and tranny mounted!

LT1 Burb 08-30-2015 10:33 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I installed my exhaust system, fixed a leaking diff gasket, bled my master and installed it, installed my radio, air box, and speaker and started finishing up some small things that needed completion.

scuderia 08-30-2015 11:40 AM

Ordered a new Fuel Pump! Since putting in my 292 (used CL) it's had a pretty good tick. The motor starts and runs fine, good even. Doesn't smoke or seem to burn oil. Does have a couple of good oil leaks (oil pan and maybe rear seal) but this tick has been really bugging me. I've been reluctant to deal with the oil leaks only to have the thing grenade on me... Anyway, I've adjusted the valves a couple times and tightened the exhaust etc. but nothing made a difference.
So yesterday I was changing some grommets on the valve cover (one leak I figured I could at least address) and I fired it up and for whatever reason it I could suddenly tell the tick wasn't coming from up top. I grabbed a long screwdriver and sure enough the only place you can hear the tick is from the damn fuel pump!! Won't know for sure till I get the new one in but fingers crossed.

Lugnutz65 08-30-2015 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT1 Burb (Post 7292355)
I installed my exhaust system, fixed a leaking diff gasket, bled my master and installed it, installed my radio, air box, and speaker and started finishing up some small things that needed completion.

LT1 Burb,
Truck looks great! Really great! Please tell me about the hole(s) you have cut in the firewall on the PS. I assume they are for AC since I see a compressor and AC vents. How did you decide where to cut holes and what will you install? Vintage Air?

TJ's Chevy 08-30-2015 07:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got the front hubs and wheels on. Then rolled the chassis out for some fresh air. :chevy:

Classic v6 GMC's 08-30-2015 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy (Post 7292061)
I got my engine and tranny mounted!

Looking good!!

LT1 Burb 08-30-2015 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 (Post 7292570)
LT1 Burb,
Truck looks great! Really great! Please tell me about the hole(s) you have cut in the firewall on the PS. I assume they are for AC since I see a compressor and AC vents. How did you decide where to cut holes and what will you install? Vintage Air?

THx, Its a factory Air cab, going back with OEM stuff.

TJ's Chevy 08-30-2015 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classic v6 GMC's (Post 7292995)
Looking good!!

Thanks! Feels good to! lol :chevy:

revjames 08-30-2015 09:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally got the hubs and calipers on I am suppose to get my parking brake in the mail tomorrow from inline. That's all that stands between me and a roller.

Chevy Fleetside 08-30-2015 10:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I didn't work on my truck today but I did work on my brothers car. I am putting disc brakes in his 64 Valiant. I am using discs from a 75 Duster. As I was changing the wheel bearings I notice this on the left rotor. I guess he took his car to Midas to have the brakes done. Someone put the seals in backwards. :lol:

jbgroby 08-30-2015 11:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got a call from the painter who wanted to go over the paint colors and have them verified before spraying. If all goes well the bed should be finished by Sept 12.

markeb01 08-30-2015 11:26 PM

Wow! Won't that be a sweet thing after all these years.

jbgroby 08-31-2015 10:13 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Yes it will be!!!, note the extra holes that the PO drill in the tail light area instead of getting some speed nuts. does not hurt anything, but WHY?? The painter also undercoated the insides of the bed as well. The sides are finally straight as well.

The Rocknrod 08-31-2015 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revjames (Post 7293095)
Finally got the hubs and calipers on I am suppose to get my parking brake in the mail tomorrow from inline. That's all that stands between me and a roller.

Whats that little tab hanging off your upper ball joint? Where did you get it?

Grizz1963 08-31-2015 11:15 AM

I was going to find some procrastination project to do, then realised the inner fenders will never clean themselves.

Both sides are now ready for paint prep, primer coat followed by Satin Black Two Pack paint.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps7eugziyu.jpg

Today after the inner fenders I finished reassembly of the heater unit and packed it away.

The lid is away with Ian Brown for some special under hood treatment.

The red you can see is a high density foam gasket I made to seal the fan to the metal case.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps60xtlls9.jpg

Eagletucky 08-31-2015 02:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I finished up shortening my '66 Suburban 3", in preparation for a body swap on a 2006 Trailblazer SS. I also removed the stock burb floor in one piece:

LT1 Burb 08-31-2015 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagletucky (Post 7293891)
I finished up shortening my '66 Suburban 3", in preparation for a body swap on a 2006 Trailblazer SS. I also removed the stock burb floor in one piece:

Thats gonna be wild, brave guy!

Turtleman 08-31-2015 07:02 PM

Quote:

I hope you start a build topic for that,, I'm guessing theres ALLOT of people here that would be interested in how all that fits together

Grizz1963 09-01-2015 02:06 AM

Quote:

That should be very good.

I am not that clever or brave.

Build thread please, or some thread for us to ooooohhh and aaaahhhh and be amazed by. ;)

BenkeBird 09-01-2015 11:48 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I have weld some sheetmetal on my -62 panel this last week.

Northwest Outlaw 09-01-2015 03:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Not necessarily "today" but most recently (took me a week) I rebuilt the Rochester BV carburetor on my mystery year 250 i6.
Used a rebuild kit from Mike's Carburetors (www.carburetor-parts.com/) but had to order some extra bowl gaskets to overcome the warped parts!
Also took a wire brush on the grinder and cleaned off the rust and old paint from the air cleaner. I really like the "polished patina" look when it was done so I hit it with a glossy clear coat. Thinking i'll do the valve cover and push rod covers the same.
Not big steps I know, but she's running and driving again and pretty smooth too!

65Gregg 09-01-2015 08:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In wanted holes in the firewall are patched and the floors covered with POR-15, tomorrow I'll start with the Rattletrap. Slow but at least it's progress