The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   48 Burb, bagged, 5.3, 20 year wait (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=627134)

RockinKees 01-31-2016 05:32 AM

Re: 48 Burb, bagged, 5.3, 20 year wait

Nice fit on those good looking parts Doug!!

I think everybody have problems searching for the right headers ;)
And I really like the service you got from Dwcsr!!

Advanced Design 01-31-2016 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 to Life (Post 7467502)
nice pics and parts. I was going to order that face shield real soon. as for the headers, not sure what they mean by breaking in and LS engine that is a roller setup. also wasn't aware of breaking in ceramic learn something new everyday is good.

Thanks 99, I think they must have a standard instruction sheet that goes with every set of manifolds.

Advanced Design 01-31-2016 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65sub (Post 7467616)
Good looking parts Doug. I've never heard of a "break in " for ceramic coating either but I guess they would know best. I had mine coated by a local shop and just bolted them on and started driving.

Me neither 65. You would think for what these things cost they would be good to go. By the time I get this thing running, there is no way I will remember the break in procedure!

Advanced Design 01-31-2016 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 7467639)
looks great! the motor install is probably my favorite part.

anyone else see this photo as upside down?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1454196546

I did until I saw the person in the distance haha

Thanks joedoh...kind of an optical illusion I think...and a messy back ground. Need to do some organizing and I would rather work on the Burb.

Advanced Design 01-31-2016 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 7467646)
Looking good Doug. I will have to remember the headers when the time comes...Oh you should buy stock in FedEx.

Marc

Thanks Marc. Maybe buy stock in Amazon.com too. An Ipad, paypal and Amazon.com are a handy, or dangerous, combination.

I went with black manifolds as it will better match the theme for the engine I have in mind. Day job and travel sure dampens progress. At same time day job and travel funds said progress. The catch 22 we all face.

Advanced Design 01-31-2016 11:06 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinKees (Post 7467953)
Nice fit on those good looking parts Doug!!

I think everybody have problems searching for the right headers ;)
And I really like the service you got from Dwcsr!!

Kees, yes on the headers. Finding what fits can be tough.

You are so right about Dwcsr. He is helping more than I expected...way more than your average Tanks dealer.

If it helps anyone, here is what I sent to Dwcsr, Dave at Hollister Road Company.

Disclaimer -- your results may vary so be sure to measure 3 x.

Advanced Design 01-31-2016 08:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Grabbed a little shop time today to make the seat riser support mine was lacking. Pretty sure mine only ever had one as the seat riser pan and original floor section didn't show any witness marks.

Youngrodders does have two, so I bent this one up. I don't think I will weld them to the seat riser pan as the original ones weren't. Drilled these for plug welding to the floor.

Advanced Design 01-31-2016 08:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Set the assembly in place to mark where the supports need to be plug welded to the floor. Naturally they landed right on top of the floor plug welds that hadn't been ground smooth yet. Took care of that and still have some tweaking around perimeter before welding the riser pan back in.

youngrodder 01-31-2016 10:32 PM

Looking good Doug. I goofed off in the garage today myself.

The riser and braces look good.

Marc

Advanced Design 01-31-2016 11:09 PM

Thanks Marc. Didn't get to it till late today. Lot's of quality Grandson time earlier....make air cannon, church, lunch, ride scooters outside. A good day!

Appreciate the head's up on the second brace.

Coach529 02-01-2016 11:12 AM

Quality work as always!!

lower50's 02-01-2016 06:47 PM

Lookin good. Nice to find exhaust that will work with minimum cutting.

Advanced Design 02-01-2016 09:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Coach and Lower. Pretty simple piece ..... and watching you guys' builds, and others, is improving my skills.

Had a little shop time tonight, so I welded the supports in place, primed the perimeter with weld through and rest with primer. Small steps.

Fizzy pic apologies!

Advanced Design 02-01-2016 09:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just an aside, last summer I debated back and forth on selling my 35 Chevy project. Didn't want two projects and as cool as the 35 is, my heart wasn't in building it. We wanted something done to take grandsons along with us.

The car went to a real car guy and he has been moving forward with it to add to his collection. Cool part is we are staying in touch and he is providing updates.

He sent this one today. Single stage black paint. I told him I changed my mind about selling it and want it back. :)

youngrodder 02-01-2016 11:30 PM

Seeing progress pics of a car you pass on, is like a kick in the teeth. Cool that he keeps you updated though. I'm surprise that people still paint stuff in single stage anymore. Looks good though.

Marc

LOW A D 02-01-2016 11:57 PM

Nice project advanced design! I read through your whole build yesterday,you've been at it a while! Glad to hear your wife is ok, my project was on hold almost two years because my wife had cancer. Her's didn't turn out as good as yours unfortunately! I'm back to working on my truck, really enjoyed your build, thanks for posting

CHIZZLER 02-02-2016 11:35 AM

Burb is looking good doug.

RockinKees 02-02-2016 12:06 PM

Every small step is one step!!

The '35 is looking good!!
The man I sold my Chevy Van to lives in Germany, still have great contact with him, also sent me updates of what he has done. I like that!
Then you know the right guy bought it from you ;)

Advanced Design 02-02-2016 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 7470291)
Seeing progress pics of a car you pass on, is like a kick in the teeth. Cool that he keeps you updated though. I'm surprise that people still paint stuff in single stage anymore. Looks good though.

Marc

I know what you mean Marc, and somehow this doesn't bother me. I really hit it off well with the buyer and his buddies. Just good car guys and I am glad to see the 35 getting done! Who knows, I may buy it back from him sometime.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOW A D (Post 7470329)
Nice project advanced design! I read through your whole build yesterday,you've been at it a while! Glad to hear your wife is ok, my project was on hold almost two years because my wife had cancer. Her's didn't turn out as good as yours unfortunately! I'm back to working on my truck, really enjoyed your build, thanks for posting

LOW A D...Man, I am so sorry to hear that. This is a terrible disease.... Thanks for following along on this build and you should get some award for wading through all of it. Apologies it is so long! If you haven't, start a build thread on your project. Would like to follow along.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHIZZLER (Post 7470773)
Burb is looking good doug.

Thanks Chizzler!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinKees (Post 7470815)
Every small step is one step!!

The '35 is looking good!!
The man I sold my Chevy Van to lives in Germany, still have great contact with him, also sent me updates of what he has done. I like that!
Then you know the right guy bought it from you ;)

Kees, yes I know what you mean! I like the updates too.

Iceburgh 02-02-2016 02:01 PM

Single stage paint....that laid down real nice

lower50's 02-02-2016 06:49 PM

As much as it sucks to give up a project, it's nice to see it went to someone that is loving it.

Advanced Design 02-02-2016 07:24 PM

Iceburgh, it does look nice. Just what I had in mind too.

Lower, it does...I went back and forth a lot on the decision. The car was ready for final body work, paint and reassembly and all parts were on the shelf. It did go to a really good home though.

Dave at Hollister Road Company is working hard to dial in the fuel fill pipe for the Burb. He emailed back and asked for a little more information which I should be able to provide Friday. The effort he is going to has me really impressed. And maybe when we get this figured out he will have a package for the AD burb fuel fill.

Looking at steering intermediate shaft path last night. Just in general thinking things through. Borgenson will have plenty of u joints to make it work, and my home fabricated engine mount is taking up some important real estate...hmm. Might redo the mount.

Fountain 02-02-2016 11:20 PM

Dave seems to be a super helpful person. He is always willing to help and has great advice. By the way, Your build looks great.

LOW A D 02-02-2016 11:30 PM

LOW A D...Man, I am so sorry to hear that. This is a terrible disease.... Thanks for following along on this build and you should get some award for wading through all of it. Apologies it is so long! If you haven't, start a build thread on your project. Would like to

AD, I do have a build thread titled "One piece at a time...51 Chev". Thanks for the comments. I'm not too good with computers, I don't know how to add my build to the bottom of each post?

dwcsr 02-02-2016 11:42 PM

Thanks guys I appreciate the complements. I really enjoy doing these trucks for a living and this is an unusual build that I may not ever get in my shop, so its nice to have a hand in these types of builds even if its just making a fill tube or giving advice.

As for the build its a very nicely done build for a truck that has significance in our truck history. Its nice to see someone taking the pains to do it right and not just pouring Bondo in spots they don't want to fix.