The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today part IV (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=729696)

rws1012 04-13-2020 11:35 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today part IV

I finished cleaning up the tie rod ends and steering components on the crossmember upgrade to my 66. Since I did use my old 66 crossmember and used the control arms and spindles off of a 79 c10 truck, will the linkage from the 79 work ok without any problems? Also do I need to use shocks for a 66 or a 79? All help appreciated

Chevy Fleetside 04-14-2020 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rws1012 (Post 8716122)
I finished cleaning up the tie rod ends and steering components on the crossmember upgrade to my 66. Since I did use my old 66 crossmember and used the control arms and spindles off of a 79 c10 truck, will the linkage from the 79 work ok without any problems? Also do I need to use shocks for a 66 or a 79? All help appreciated

If you use the newer control arms, you have to use all components. You will have to redrill for the idler arm. I found it easier if you mount the steering box first.
On my green truck I just used later model spindles and on my blue truck I used all of the steering components from a 75. Capt Fab sells a mount for the later steering box if you don't already have one.

rws1012 04-14-2020 07:44 PM

Mounted power steering box with Captain Fabs adapter. Was able to set idler arm, with help from ideas on this forum. Thanks folks .I didn't weld the adapter. I think it will be fine with just the bolts. Now on to getting power booster bracket (also Capt. Fab product) mounted.

J Williams 04-19-2020 12:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I pulled my bed off and started to sand the exterior of my cab. Never thought I would dig this far into this truck but it has been fun
Posted via Mobile Device

studeclunker 04-19-2020 03:05 AM

What a nice shop! Is your truck red and white or orange and white?

roll_the_dice 04-19-2020 09:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got my brake booster and master cylinder installed yesterday. Going to put the proportioning valve & hydraulic clutch MC on today if it doesn't storm.

J Williams 04-19-2020 10:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by studeclunker (Post 8719964)
What a nice shop! Is your truck red and white or orange and white?

Thanks man! Here is a picture of the shop not too long ago. I had to do a lot of work to it. Started out as dirt floor lean to. The truck is orange and white. Going to keep it the original colors. My grandpa purchased it brand new and gave it to me when I was 15.
Posted via Mobile Device

J Williams 04-19-2020 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8720067)
Got my brake booster and master cylinder installed yesterday. Going to put the proportioning valve & hydraulic clutch MC on today if it doesn't storm.

I recognize the brake/ hydraulic clutch bracket! Looks great man, can’t wait to be that far back together!
Posted via Mobile Device

J Williams 04-19-2020 11:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Worked on sanding the cab today and got a little body filler on a couple small dents. Hopefully soon I can throw a coat of primer then some makeup on this pig!
Posted via Mobile Device

64 rust 04-20-2020 09:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally got her lowered, new...er 71 rear end in, new springs, shock relocation brackets, drop shocks that don’t fit lol...I would ***** and tell you guys that not one bolt has cooperated with me but I know we have all been there. Man, am I glad that’s over!!!🤘
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard2112 04-20-2020 09:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Installing a kit behind my seat in the C30. Highly adaptable, minimal tools required, accommodates speakers, outside sound attenuation, can be easily upholstered, seat removal not required, doesn't interfere with seat travel, no drilling into cab, uses all existing cab bolts for install..

J Williams 04-20-2020 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8720067)

Question for you, what transmission are you putting in that truck?
Posted via Mobile Device

pdxhall 04-20-2020 10:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I put my bed together for test fitting. Everything aligned and fit together very good, just a lot of work for one person.

J Williams 04-20-2020 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 8720977)
I put my bed together for test fitting. Everything aligned and fit together very good, just a lot of work for one person.

Where did you order your panels from?
Posted via Mobile Device

0ldSoul 04-20-2020 07:53 PM

Wife helped out by making the tailgate look much better. Now we'll work on taking some paint off and giving it a weathered look. Like it's been there for some time.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...923/X8htQT.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...923/kXBo0G.jpg

pdxhall 04-21-2020 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Williams (Post 8721305)
Where did you order your panels from?
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't usually buy from LMC but they are the only vendor that offered free freight so I took a chance with them. I'm pretty sure all of the vendors are buying from the same supplier. The panels are very nice and fit with no issues.

Richard2112 04-21-2020 09:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Installing book shelf speakers in my kit.

Blue666(2) 04-22-2020 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard2112 (Post 8722220)
Installing book shelf speakers in my kit.

Looks like a very nice kit. Can you share the vender/source?

Richard2112 04-22-2020 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue666(2) (Post 8722418)
Looks like a very nice kit. Can you share the vender/source?

Thank you. It actually is a nice kit. I build these for our trucks. The one pictured will also have an upholstery kit upgrade and a full speaker enclosure behind the panel for improved acoustics. Presently, the speaker panel uses the truck sheet metal as the enclosure. It works but the sound is more directional with a full enclosure. I post progress as it updates.

studeclunker 04-23-2020 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Williams (Post 8720118)
Thanks man! Here is a picture of the shop not too long ago. I had to do a lot of work to it. Started out as dirt floor lean to. The truck is orange and white. Going to keep it the original colors. My grandpa purchased it brand new and gave it to me when I was 15.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lucky you to have such a generous Grampa! Your shop reminds me of many-a tractor shed I have worked out of. LOVE what you've done with the place!

doug_p 04-23-2020 11:06 AM

So over the past couple weeks I have been modifying my 62 LBF.... Engine and trans out, front end removed, torsion bar crossmember out, 78 crossmember has been test fit once, and will require a little modification. Bottom three bolts all aligned (had to modify rear-most bolt hole), but the side of the frame appears as though I may have to drill all 4 new holes on both sides - well, 1 bolt hole can be opened up. Adding a BTR V2 stagev2 cam, new posi rear end (True Trac) 3.73:1, and Kore3 disc brakes all around. Going with a 7/8 tandem Wilwood master, and going to try them manual to start . . . headers, new ididit column, new seats, carpet . . . I've been waiting a long time to make these mods!

jbgroby 04-23-2020 01:07 PM

5 Attachment(s)
For the past two days with the help of GREAT friends, we were able to pull the old and tired 4 speed Hydramatic from the GMC 305 V-6 and replace it with a 700R4.

The Hydramatic Transmission was designed and developed by GM in 1935-36 and was the heaviest transmission GM ever made - how heavy you ask? 465 pounds of Cast Iron and Gears; by comparison my newer 700R4 only weighs 145 pounds.

I call the last Photo "The Quick and The Dead......

jbgroby 04-24-2020 10:16 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Well she's done - took about 12 hours but the new 700R is on and bolted up. We till have to set in the cross brace, and do some house keeping, but shes ready for the Trans shop to do the final shift adjustment....

J Williams 04-24-2020 10:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Shaved the gas cap and started door repair... grandpa had 13 different holes from various mirrors he had on this thing! Not to include the 3 stock mirror mounting holes.
Posted via Mobile Device

jayoldschool 04-24-2020 11:56 AM

Installed a new pair of repro interior arm rests. Mine had one early style, one later blocky one, both bad, held together with electrical tape. My truck has patina in and out, but these were past it.