The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   53 Surburban "Family Truckster" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=605484)

youngrodder 04-15-2021 08:14 AM

Re: 53 Surburban "Family Truckster"

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8908437)
Great updates Marc...you have been busy...

Its funny its easy to lose tracking thinking you haven't accomplished much but when you update a build thread its like "ok I have made progress".
Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 8908557)
wow those wheels look great!

nice work on the other stuff too!

Thank you..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 8908642)
Nice work on the hide away mount and the dash. It is looking really nice. I like your ac hose routing as well. Those wheels do look nice and I like the no polishing part. That means they should not corrode as easily or get stained by brake dust too hopefully.

Yes, I think I will really like fully powder coated wheels. My last set where polished inside and out and water spots were a pain. The AC hoses as well as my swing away mount go with my build theme of less is more. Hide as much of the unsightly stuff as possible.

Thanks
Marc

lower50's 04-15-2021 09:50 AM

When I upgrade my gauges that I don't like I am buying DD

youngrodder 04-15-2021 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 8908719)
When I upgrade my gauges that I don't like I am buying DD

Check with me later. I recently learned that in order for your gears to display correctly you have to purchase a $110.00 added module. I learned from DD tech that the necessary info "may or may not" pull correctly from the ECU and send it to the BIM module I was told to purchase. They can't tell you what ECU's will or won't pull the necessary data. So I spend close to $1,900 (including the BIM) for these gauges. So essentially I wasted $100 buying a BIM module (that did not work that I'm now stuck with) and I needed to purchase another module GSS-3000 to display the gear.

I emailed with the president of DD to explain my frustration with the gauges limitations vs the cost.. According to him they work fine out of the box if you have a carbureted engine with a turbo 350 trans. Um, I'm not really sure who would run that combo and use these high-tech gauges.

Can you tell I soured on DD??

Marc

layinrocker65 04-15-2021 11:40 AM

That's how they get you, charge a $100 for every BIM and you need 1 BIM for each extra thing you want. Then they don't guarantee anything because its all "univeral" or "custom" stuff. Unfortunately when you are the only name in the game, they can afford to do people dirty every once in a while.

Probably your fault(SCARASM) for thinking the system would work for the MOST COMMON engine and trans combo used in custom vehicles.

lower50's 04-16-2021 10:33 AM

Well that sucks!!
Good to know, I will be in touch with you before I buy gauges, won't be for a while. Need to sell the new build first for sure.

youngrodder 04-19-2021 07:41 AM

Well I fired the motor this weekend. This time it fired right up just like on TV. No issues. That is how the first start up was supposed to go. No I can start assembling the rest of the front sheet metal.

I also hung the rear doors complete with seals and functioning latches and door hardware. The Suburban back door latches and hardware they don't reproduce. I reconditioned mine and modified a side door handle to work for the back doors. Very pleased how well they shut and seal.

Full speed ahead. Looking for a late spring test drive...

Marc

ajgriffin 04-19-2021 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 8910418)
Well I fired the motor this weekend. This time it fired right up just like on TV. No issues. That is how the first start up was supposed to go. No I can start assembling the rest of the front sheet metal.

I also hung the rear doors complete with seals and functioning latches and door hardware. The Suburban back door latches and hardware they don't reproduce. I reconditioned mine and modified a side door handle to work for the back doors. Very pleased how well they shut and seal.

Full speed ahead. Looking for a late spring test drive...

Marc

:metal: CONGRATS!!!

6DoF 04-19-2021 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 8908739)

Can you tell I soured on DD??

Marc

they look amazing and really have a lot of the bases covered, but for the money i keep leaning further away. for the Cummins i was looking at $2000-2500 and there was zero option for data logging. that was a deal breaker for me.

8man 04-19-2021 08:43 AM

That's a big day! Congratulations.

youngrodder 04-19-2021 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajgriffin (Post 8910422)
:metal: CONGRATS!!!

Thanks I was stoked..

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6DoF (Post 8910427)
they look amazing and really have a lot of the bases covered, but for the money i keep leaning further away. for the Cummins i was looking at $2000-2500 and there was zero option for data logging. that was a deal breaker for me.

I worked on hooking up the new module (GSS-3000) so my gears now display. I may to sell the module that I'm not using.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8man (Post 8910441)
That's a big day! Congratulations.

Thanks, I need to hook up my throttle cable so I can bring up the RPM's to hear the exhaust better. I like what I have heard so far.

Marc

Tempest67 04-19-2021 09:39 AM

a milestone day for sure , Congrats

oldman3 04-19-2021 10:13 AM

Marc, congrats on the start up, can't wait for the test drive...Jim

youngrodder 04-19-2021 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempest67 (Post 8910466)
a milestone day for sure , Congrats

Thank you

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8910481)
Marc, congrats on the start up, can't wait for the test drive...Jim

You and me both Jim.....Waiting on a drive shaft that I needed shortened. Should be done in about a week.

Marc

Dieselwrencher 04-21-2021 05:13 AM

Congrats on the no issue first start up! That's always a great feeling!

youngrodder 04-21-2021 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 8911205)
Congrats on the no issue first start up! That's always a great feeling!

No, this was the 2nd test fire. The initial one crated major issues from a stuck open injector. I think I had PTSD from the first start attempt. Attempt #2 went off smooth...

Thanks

Marc

olcarguy 04-21-2021 09:06 AM

Awsome....starting to see the light at the end of a long tunnel....:cong:

youngrodder 04-21-2021 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olcarguy (Post 8911288)
Awsome....starting to see the light at the end of a long tunnel....:cong:

Thank you....

Marc

lower50's 04-21-2021 11:41 PM

Congratulations Marc!! It's always funny when you see the "first start" on tv. You will have to have a pole to see weather your green truck or this truck wins lol.

youngrodder 04-22-2021 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 8911663)
Congratulations Marc!! It's always funny when you see the "first start" on tv. You will have to have a pole to see weather your green truck or this truck wins lol.

Thank you...I'm guessing the green truck would win in a landslide. I think most people around me that knew the green truck wont "get" the look of the Suburban. When in reality this Suburban is a so much nicer build in many ways (minus paint) than the green truck.

Dropped the wheels off this morning to be mounted/balanced. Picked up my carpet and last of the upholstery last night and I go to pick up my drive shaft tomorrow...

Marc

youngrodder 04-26-2021 09:27 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I installed my driver seat (temporarily) to allow me to mount my throttle pedal and cable. I was fearing the worse with the throttle pedal as I needed to make a mount and since my firewall was painted it had to be a bolt in solution. The mount I made years ago was a weld on solution. I was pleased how well it all turned out. Most people that use these throttle bodies to simulate a carb use the drive my wire solution. For this reason, I needed to make my own bracket to hold the throttle cable. It turn out very clean. And get this.......it works great!!

So I fired the motor again with a throttle cable which allowed me to rev on it. I was blown away at how bad ass this motor and exhaust sounds. I laughed that I screwed up and build a race truck..ha ha. I will post a video on my IG page (Greenfield_speedshop) later this week. Even my 16 yr old son ran out to the garage for a closer look. That can attest to how good its sounds to get a 16yr old to react that fast. ha ha

This was the first time I sat in the seat in the Suburban. The seat is so comfortable. Looking forward to some quality seat time this summer.

I also installed my driveshaft that I had shortened and picked up Friday.

Thanks
Marc

8man 04-26-2021 09:55 AM

Very nice.

Tempest67 04-26-2021 09:56 AM

wow this looks so good.... love the seat, looks comfy.

Denee007 04-26-2021 10:00 AM

That is incredible!!! ;)
dne'

youngrodder 04-26-2021 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8man (Post 8913545)
Very nice.

Thanks man

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempest67 (Post 8913546)
wow this looks so good.... love the seat, looks comfy.

I joke that the seats are more comfortable than how nice they look.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denee007 (Post 8913548)
That is incredible!!! ;)
dne'

Thank you..much appreciated.

Marc

6DoF 04-26-2021 10:33 AM

that seat is so pretty, whole inside is looking amazing

youngrodder 04-27-2021 07:54 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Further assembly of the front end. Trying to take my time and hide as many wires and stuff as possible. I like how hidden the AC lines are. Next is to finish wiring the front end (lights, AC and fans).

I'm also chasing down a pesky fuel leak at one of my fittings by the tank on the supply side. I finally took the fitting off and retightened. I hope that solved it.

Thank you
Marc

6DoF 04-27-2021 08:32 AM

i hope my engine bay looks half as clean as that, super nice.

youngrodder 04-27-2021 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6DoF (Post 8913970)
i hope my engine bay looks half as clean as that, super nice.

Thanks, I always try to apply the less is more approach and hide all of the unsightly crap. It takes way longer but you are left with a cleaner end product.

The vison I have had in my head for years is slowing coming into focus....

Marc

lower50's 04-27-2021 06:36 PM

It's a great feeling when your vision comes together as you where planning.
Great job!!

youngrodder 05-06-2021 07:45 AM

5 Attachment(s)
As I get closer to thinking about that first drive I have been busy getting this thing legal. I recently put insurance on it. I go today to order plates. Getting a appointment at ANY MI SOS is a choir in itself.

I installed my rear bumper with the aid of my son. I had my factory bumper brackets powder coated quite a while back with the satin black wrinkle finish.

We had to mount the bumper, get a placement for the hitch receiver hole. Unmount the bumper and then cut up said the new bumper. Then remount to check the hole placement....Spot on. I had done this process once before with a junk bumper so I had a general idea. The hitch receiver provied 2 functions. 1 - a lace to mount my plate. 2- Covers the hole in the bumper for the hidden hitch.

After that I gave the bumper a brushed finish (not pictured). I need to remount the finished bumper.

Marc

8man 05-06-2021 08:14 AM

That finish looks good. The truck is coming together nicely.

youngrodder 05-06-2021 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8man (Post 8917600)
That finish looks good. The truck is coming together nicely.

Thanks Robert. This Suburban is built soooo much nicer than my 48 truck was but most people wont see it that way due to the weathered paint.

It is nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel tho.

Marc

Tempest67 05-06-2021 09:37 AM

looks great, can't wait to see it all together.

keep it going

slammed57 05-06-2021 07:12 PM

Its lookin soooooo good! love this build

youngrodder 05-07-2021 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempest67 (Post 8917632)
looks great, can't wait to see it all together.

keep it going

Thanks its getting exciting

Quote:

Originally Posted by slammed57 (Post 8917875)
Its lookin soooooo good! love this build

I appreciate it. I'm a big fan of your build. The grand debut will be soon. I have been holding back on some details..

Marc

mongocanfly 05-07-2021 10:36 PM

The suspense is killing me...I'm ready to see you making that 1st drive..!!!!

NorCalGal 05-07-2021 11:55 PM

I’m drooling.

oldman3 05-07-2021 11:56 PM

Like all the others, ready for more...Jim

youngrodder 05-10-2021 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8918327)
The suspense is killing me...I'm ready to see you making that 1st drive..!!!!

Slow and steady wins the race. I'm trying to button up some stuff before I drop it off of the stands so I want to make sure I take care of that stuff first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCalGal (Post 8918350)
I’m drooling.

IDK all you have to do is look at your truck if you want your fix. It's pretty drool worthy itself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8918352)
Like all the others, ready for more...Jim

I myself am anxious to see the final product on the ground with the new wheels but there are brakes to bleed and some other odds and ends first. We did mange to get the rear cargo door new glass and seals in last night. Boy was that a fight.

Thanks
Marc

youngrodder 05-10-2021 08:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
In case anyone was curious...Here is the before and after the brushed bumper treatment. Also a pic of the rear door glass.

Thanks
Marc