The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   The Old Duffer (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=532466)

K5 Addiction 02-11-2013 11:28 PM

Re: The Old Duffer

Quote:

Originally Posted by boucher racing (Post 5883055)
dammit boy! looks great. I like the sneaky routing of the vacuum adv. hose.

Ha thanks man! Grant does excellent work.

paintman 02-12-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K5 Addiction (Post 5880539)
Hey Paintman, I'm using a 1961 Schlitz 15 & a half gallon keg. It's been fitted with a fuel sending unit that works with the stock gauge. The fuel pump is an electric one that comes with the F.A.S.T. fuel injection setup. It's controlled by the computer.

First off your motor looks amazing!!!!!!! I am also doing a 250 for my 46, and looking at a similar carb setup. I was under the impression that these TBI carbs needed anti slosh baffles within the fuel tank. I was also concerned about the electric fuel pumps. I have heard horror stories about them being unreliable and noisy. Hopefully you will keep us posted on your experiences. And in the meantime I have shot you a pm in regards to T. Lowe

K5 Addiction 02-13-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paintman (Post 5884777)
First off your motor looks amazing!!!!!!! I am also doing a 250 for my 46, and looking at a similar carb setup. I was under the impression that these TBI carbs needed anti slosh baffles within the fuel tank. I was also concerned about the electric fuel pumps. I have heard horror stories about them being unreliable and noisy. Hopefully you will keep us posted on your experiences. And in the meantime I have shot you a pm in regards to T. Lowe

No notes about needing a baffled tank in the literature. Guess I'll find out soon. Firing it up today. :metal::metal::metal::metal:

K5 Addiction 02-13-2013 12:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's some exhaust shots. Had to run under the axle for now till I raise my bed a couple inches. (strangely when I upload these pics there getting turned around but you get the idea)

flips72 02-14-2013 09:01 PM

extremely nice work, cant wait to see the dyno sheet, let us know how the fast injection works out for you, i have been consdering it for mone as well.

K5 Addiction 02-15-2013 06:50 PM

Well had a setback today, Would been on the road tonight but my Pertronix distributor's cap took a **** on me & there is not a corresponding parts store cap that I can find anywhere. I'm dead in the water till Tuesday when I can get one delivered. Huge bummer! Was looking forward to burnin some petrol.

paintman 03-04-2013 06:56 PM

Any updates??????????????????????????? I'm curious as to how that 250 runs with the TBI carb!

K5 Addiction 03-13-2013 11:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Been awhile since I updated, It's been a frustrating couple weeks since the distributor cap mishap. Took awhile to get the new cap. Reinstalled & couldn't get the truck to fire at all & I've got a pro fuel injection tuner working on this. started checking everything Fuel pump, spark, computer I mean everything twice then got to checking to see if something bigger was wrong (internal engine issues) did a compression test & found 4 out of 6 cylinders had abnormally low PSI. We started wondering if the backfires caused by the cap problems hadn't caused some damage, Maybe blew a hole in a piston or something. so we pulled the head & found the head gasket blew between 2nd & 3rd & 4th & 5th cylinders. Ughh! sent the head to be checked for cracks or other issues & it's all good. Reinstalled everything truck fired right up. tuned & now touching up paint. It's running pretty good now. They say the computer will constantly be tuning & will run better all the time. Plan on driving it a bunch this weekend so I'll keep yall posted.

CRGRS 66 03-14-2013 03:48 PM

pheeeew, could have been a lot worse...

paintman 03-14-2013 07:22 PM

Man I have so many questions in regards to your carb setup, but that's not important right now. The biggest question is where did all the gasket pieces go from the front cylinder? Hopefully out the exhaust!

Bishops Trucks 03-14-2013 07:54 PM

Very nice truck. What a big differance between the red and blue. Great choice.

hemifalcon 03-14-2013 08:05 PM

Wow... Seeing as I'm not some huge engine junkie.. What caused that to occur to the head gasket??

K5 Addiction 03-15-2013 11:48 AM

& found one more reason its been hard to get the motor timed right. A brand new harmonic balancer was slipping on the rubber.

K5 Addiction 03-15-2013 08:24 PM

Got the new Balancer on got it pretty close to timed. Still need to fine tune the distributor, it's got a small catch around 2500 RPM's. I've been driving it for the last couple hours. It's fun! The computer is still learning exactly what the motor wants & adjusting the advance curve will cure the small hiccup but overall it's running pretty well. Laid a bout 45 yards of scratch.......It was a one tire fire but it was something. The new motor highlights the fact that my suspension need updating. Here's a video of it running.

K5 Addiction 03-15-2013 08:25 PM

Well I guess not. I'll have to figure out how to post the video.

Bomp 03-15-2013 09:12 PM

Glad you got things worked out.:metal:

edub981 03-15-2013 10:34 PM

Your Old Duffer is quite a ride. Its nice to be able to continue the work your granpa started. You have turned the corner with that color combo. Whities with blue wheels makes it look real classy. I like your like your idea with the hidden ipod connector. It's nice to keep that stock dash look. Nice work.
Posted via Mobile Device

K5 Addiction 03-16-2013 11:26 AM

Here's a link to a video of the truck running. http://youtu.be/5SducP4Ky8I Check that exhaust note. :metal::metal::metal:

boucher racing 03-16-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K5 Addiction (Post 5950548)
Here's a link to a video of the truck running. http://youtu.be/5SducP4Ky8I Check that exhaust note. :metal::metal::metal:

Damn Boy! If you would filmed that video from the back to front, I woulda swore that you were packing a V8!!

Sounds great.

Boucher'

flips72 03-18-2013 05:23 PM

i agree, it does sound like a v8, and man it looks great. are you happy with the fast set-up? i am wanting one bad for mine, just aint got the funds.

K5 Addiction 03-23-2013 11:12 PM

Thanks guys. Had another setback. Finally got out to put some miles on & the second day out lost most of my oil pressure. Shut it down right away. Investigating the cause. Think it's the oil pump or maybe the oil pump pickup came off. I hope that's it. Been pretty frustrating. On an up note My truck is gonna be on "My Classic Car" with Dennis Gage tomorrow on Speed Channel. Pre new motor install. Let's just say this episode is smokin.

Bomp 03-24-2013 12:47 AM

Congrats on the tv spot.
Thats totally.
Sorry to hear of the frustrating oil delema.
Posted via Mobile Device

TJ's Chevy 04-06-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K5 Addiction (Post 5950548)

I would love ta see ya do a burn out onto the highway with that thing!:metal: I wish mine was just like it. And not knowing that your motor was a 250 I told you I had the same motor, but I actually have a 292. Not much different. What horse and torque you think your makin out a that motor? Probably a lot! Thanks, T.J.:chevy::chevy::devil:
Posted via Mobile Device

TJ's Chevy 05-07-2013 11:03 AM

Hey k5,
Hows your motor coming? Hope you were able to find out what was wrong with your oil pump. thanks. T.J.

McMurphy 05-07-2013 10:12 PM

Any chance your TV Spot made it on to YouTube?
Would sure like to see it !!