The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Playing the long game! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=691845)

hewittca 12-09-2016 09:14 AM

Re: Playing the long game!

Quote:

Originally Posted by YBNORML (Post 7790412)
I've been following you on Instagram as well, it's making it difficult to resist the temptation to cut mine down. Haha

Yours would look awesome as a shortbed, then again, yours also has a lot more known history and originality than mine so I would struggle with cutting yours up as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by YBNORML (Post 7790986)
There is a guy on Instagram who modifies transit wheels, including the bolt patterns. If you want i can try and find him again.

The guy who sells and modifies the transits is Stephen Dillman (dillman1977 on Instagram). I got my set from him and he was a good guy to deal with. He can do different widths from 8-12", different backspacings, and any bolt pattern that will fit. He's actually running a sale on transits right now so it's a good time to pick a set up.

Ram-Man 12-09-2016 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hewittca (Post 7791271)
Yours would look awesome as a shortbed, then again, yours also has a lot more known history and originality than mine so I would struggle with cutting yours up as well.

The guy who sells and modifies the transits is Stephen Dillman (dillman1977 on Instagram). I got my set from him and he was a good guy to deal with. He can do different widths from 8-12", different backspacings, and any bolt pattern that will fit. He's actually running a sale on transits right now so it's a good time to pick a set up.

Thank you

67 chevelle 12-09-2016 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YBNORML (Post 7789375)
Thanks, the wheels are 22" transport wheels also known as transit wheels. They are used by GM when shipping new trucks to dealerships. They come up for sale quite often, although GM seems to be more successful at stopping them from getting to market, the techs are supposed to destroy them. They require a little bit of Machine work on the hub opening to fit these trucks.

The caps are held on by some clips that I got from a guy off of Instagram.

The tires are Nitto 266/35/22.

Thank you so much , very helpfull , you have a beautiful family , stay warm , from a Florida guy

YBNORML 12-31-2016 02:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Scored a parts truck. It's a 72' very rusty, even by our local standards. But it's also quite complete.
Power steering, power brakes, factory 4 barrel intake with the oil spout, already has an HEI conversion as well as an internally regulated alternator, hitch, centre seat belt and under bed spare tire carrier. I'm sure as I dig into it I'll find more useable parts as well.

YBNORML 12-31-2016 02:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
An interior shot.

YBNORML 12-31-2016 03:07 AM

I stopped by Toms the other day, he was super stoked to see the truck. Actually loves the changes I've made so far. I was telling him about the concerns that some of you guys have in regards to modifying the truck, his response was as I expected, Basically said that he was excited to see what I do and that that was part of the reason he sold it to me. He just wanted to see it go to someone who would enjoy it. He really is a great guy!

zammer 06-10-2017 02:32 PM

This is a killer truck Jason, been away from forum for a while and just checked this out.
Nice work like what you did with it

YBNORML 06-21-2017 12:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by zammer (Post 7964040)
This is a killer truck Jason, been away from forum for a while and just checked this out.
Nice work like what you did with it

Thanks man, I haven't been on a whole lot either. Glad to see your truck moving under its own power.

I've been doing quite a bit of work on this truck lately. Got some original caps for the transit wheels. And polished the living crap out of the paint.

YBNORML 06-21-2017 12:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Side shot

YBNORML 06-21-2017 12:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Front

YBNORML 06-21-2017 12:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Interior.

I put some sound deadener on the floor, installed new carpet and a centre seatbelt, it doesn't match but hopefully I'll find a matching one someday. Also changed the original speaker and got the radio working, works pretty good too!

Chevyland 06-21-2017 12:29 AM

Just saw this
Very cool story!!

YBNORML 06-21-2017 12:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Took the box off to put in a c-notch, drop springs, blocks, adjustable pan hard bar, new shocks and relocators. The bed bolts all came off without any issues. I've never had that happen with an Alberta truck!!

YBNORML 06-21-2017 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevyland (Post 7972566)
Just saw this
Very cool story!!

Thanks. I really lucked out.

Canuckvetter 06-21-2017 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YBNORML (Post 7972561)
Interior.

a centre seatbelt, it doesn't match but hopefully I'll find a matching one someday.

I have some fawn 67 seatbelt options for you if you are interested.

hewittca 06-21-2017 08:52 AM

Still lookin' good! How much lower are you going with all the work you're doing out back? And where'd you get your center belt? I've been trying to find one in light green to match mine, but am having no luck. I'd like to be able to bring both my kids for a ride versus the battle I currently go through on who's turn it is to go.

hewittca 06-21-2017 08:53 AM

Also, while you have the bed off, just go ahead and cut the frame down. :lol:

YBNORML 06-21-2017 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuckvetter (Post 7972686)
I have some fawn 67 seatbelt options for you if you are interested.

I am very interested. I'll pm you my number. Thanks

YBNORML 06-21-2017 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hewittca (Post 7972700)
Still lookin' good! How much lower are you going with all the work you're doing out back? And where'd you get your center belt? I've been trying to find one in light green to match mine, but am having no luck. I'd like to be able to bring both my kids for a ride versus the battle I currently go through on who's turn it is to go.

One of the main reasons I purchased the parts truck I mentioned earlier was for the belt.
The shop pic is an older one. All that work was done a few months ago, the only future suspension plans are to add drop spindles to the front and helper bags out back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hewittca (Post 7972701)
Also, while you have the bed off, just go ahead and cut the frame down. :lol:

I've actually been seriously considering it. At some point in its life the truck was hit on the passenger side, resulting in a replacement door and body work to both the b-pillar and boxside. I'm in no rush to do it but I just might.
I already mentioned my possible plans to Tom and he's all for it, which is kind of cool. He's just happy that I've already put more miles on it since I got it than he did in the last five years.

hewittca 06-21-2017 10:34 AM

:lol: Bought a seatbelt and got a truck with it.

How is your front dropped now without spindles? You look to be about where I am up front and mine is on not-so-ideal modified stock coils. They have been heated and cut and I think I'm about at a 4" spring drop. I had to cut out the bump stops and readjust all alignments to get it to ride decent, but it does actually ride fairly well surprisingly. Once I add spindles I'm definitely going to have to do something about the wheel tubs, but the transits should tuck nicely with all that backspacing.

YBNORML 06-21-2017 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hewittca (Post 7972773)
:lol: Bought a seatbelt and got a truck with it.

How is your front dropped now without spindles? You look to be about where I am up front and mine is on not-so-ideal modified stock coils. They have been heated and cut and I think I'm about at a 4" spring drop. I had to cut out the bump stops and readjust all alignments to get it to ride decent, but it does actually ride fairly well surprisingly. Once I add spindles I'm definitely going to have to do something about the wheel tubs, but the transits should tuck nicely with all that backspacing.

I'm sitting at about the same, only mine is accomplished with 2' drop coils with one coil cut off. It also rides not too bad but I'm looking forward to changing over to drop spindles and longer coils. I'm gonna draw the line at modifying the wheels tubs.

Husker 06-21-2017 10:50 PM

Nice Looking truck,
Ron

Aberdare 12-12-2017 08:04 PM

Are you Back in Edmonton or still in Shilo? I retired in 2004 after 23 years... And Thank You for Your Service!

Abe in Winnipeg

YBNORML 12-13-2017 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aberdare (Post 8103518)
Are you Back in Edmonton or still in Shilo? I retired in 2004 after 23 years... And Thank You for Your Service!

Abe in Winnipeg

I think you have me confused with someone else.

SonnyBoy 12-13-2017 12:13 PM

Very cool story !!
I had to read it to my wife ...
I bet Tom is enjoying the transformation also.
Your doing it justice !
Looks clean .