The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   The 65 C30 Farm Truck (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=768805)

straight6chevyguy 03-02-2020 04:56 PM

Re: The 65 C30 Farm Truck

Looks great!

69 C10 LWB 03-09-2020 11:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This weeks update includes a helpful tech tip. I cant take any credit for this, my grandpa showed me this many years ago and I dont know if he came up with it or if someone else did.

Hockey pucks are a surprisingly handy tool. My grandpa liked wood working and liked to tinker with just about anything. One of his favorites was powder activated hole punchers. He was always trying to drive out roll pins and just drive out grooved parts. His solution was to cut a groove in a hockey puck and then drill a few holes. The holes allow the pins to be driven to the bottom and the groove holds round parts from rolling away while you're doing it. This also works well for distributors when your trying to drive the pin out to remove the gear.

I installed a pertonix this weekend and had to pull the distributor shaft to shim it. The hockey worked great to support the gear during disassembly and reassembly. I installed the pertronix to eliminate the points(and resistor wire). Now the truck has a brand new custom made engine harness.

Also got the truck out in the sunlight for the first time in a while and got a picture of the new exhaust mocked into place. The bottom half of the pipe will be painted black to hide it.

69 C10 LWB 03-22-2020 10:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Monday my boss told me I should work from home and even said I could work on my truck between calls. I answer tech calls for heavy equipment techs so as long as I have access to a phone and my computer I can work. Turns out during a normal week I have no free time, big surprise there. I did finally get a chance to spend some time in the garage this weekend. I started working on my tail light harness. My original plan was to run my harness to the back and use the plug for my trailer lights as a junction block. After I got the harness made and run to the back of the truck I realized there was no way I could get all the wires into the plug so I am going to make a junction box and run everything through that. I was able to pull the terminals out of the original firewall plug and put new wires in it with some spare terminals I had. I also ran a wire to the big plug on the firewall that I will use for my brake controller when I get it installed. I removed wires for the alternator from that plug so I have a few open spots and I ordered some factory style terminals from American Autowire.

350TacoZilla 03-22-2020 02:04 PM

Good to see you plugging away at it making progress here and there man. If it was me I might look into one of those little universal fuse box's that has like 8-10 fuses and 2-4 relay spots and start wiring new stuff to it. The blade fuses are so much easier to find cheap and its kinda peace of mind to know where everything is routed\labeled.

69 C10 LWB 03-22-2020 06:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I thought about a new fuse box but thankfully the wiring in this truck was all original and in great shape. Ive gone through the cab harness and didnt find anything bad and the engine and tail light harnesses are all new now. I still have a couple boxes of the glass fuses so no issue there. I managed to get the box mounted for my junction block this afternoon. I still need to wire in the trailer plug but atleast now I have tail lights again and can drive it. I have a cover for the junction block it just isn't on yet. I need to get a plate to cover the fuel tank and the back of the frame so I wont mount the trailer plug until that is done. I am also going to get some clamps for the frame to finish securing the harness, it is zip tied up for now, but I used metal clamps for my brake and fuel lines and I want to get some for the harness to make everything match.

69 C10 LWB 04-05-2020 08:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I spent a little time this weekend making a couple speaker mounts for the cab corners of my truck. I got the idea from another member on here. I don't have any sheet metal or a way to bend it so I decided to see how it would work if I used wood. I think they turned out pretty well. I haven't decided if I want to paint them or cover them with something.

69 C10 LWB 03-29-2023 09:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow, it’s been a while since I’ve been on here. After losing mom and Covid hit I kind of took a break from doing much to the truck. Don’t worry it’s seen more miles I just haven’t done much to it or posted about it. I got into RC airplanes and started using the truck as my hauler to get to the air field. I had a company truck and a 2012 Colorado in addition to the 65. Last year I put more miles on the 65 than the Colorado. Dad just bought a 64 C10 today and got my interest back in working on this truck. I just can’t do anything major since the weather is finally getting nice again and it’s about time to come out of hibernation.