The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   ClusterTruck; because that’s what it is (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=788602)

clay68c10 06-28-2020 09:56 PM

Re: ClusterTruck; because that’s what it is

2 Attachment(s)
The corner is cut and fitted. I got some welding done on it. I’ll need to open up my gap for the rounded edge area. Maybe this week. Or after the 4th. We’re going to Wyoming for the holiday, so camping, hiking, and shooting will be the plan!!

doowoppwer 07-05-2020 12:32 AM

subbed

clay68c10 07-10-2020 05:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Back from Wyo, had a great long weekend.
Had some more progress this past couple of days. The cab corner is pretty much in and done.
The usual zillion tac welds.

clay68c10 07-10-2020 06:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
At this point, I like to start grinding the welds down and look for pin holes.
I'm a fair welder, but very realistic about how this goes. The gap isn't always perfect, the metal isn't always spotless, my welder is a decent one but not some hi-zoot machine. And my technique/work angle/eyesight isn't perfect every single tac either.
That said, get the brightest light you have and start shining it thru from the rear. I usually find a couple of pin-points to fix.
When I do this, I make sure to trim the "ball" off the end of the welding wire EVERY time I tac. This is the time to get those pin holes filled, and that pointy wire will get the heat in there better.
Definitely use a sharpie to mark them, you can't see em without the light, so I can't find them again unless I mark them. Then grind and repeat. Maybe you missed one and now is the time to get it done.

clay68c10 07-10-2020 06:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The bottom curve of the corner was a little off on this side, same as the other. I got it shaped up and put in a tiny tac underneath just so it wouldn't move around. Prior to this little tac, it did shift a little. I wanted it to stay put while I was putting heat into my upper seam. I'll put a couple more on the bottom when I tip the cab up for (hopefully) the last time and do my undercoat/wax.

Ol Blue K20 07-10-2020 08:08 PM

Looking good, you make it look easy. I might try doing mine myself.

clay68c10 07-10-2020 10:07 PM

Well thanks. I’ll say that it’s not rocket science, but it’s not a throw together either. There’s a lot of time consuming cutting and fitting, and the welding takes a long time.
I definitely can’t afford to pay someone to do it, so that makes it worth it for me.

clay68c10 07-10-2020 10:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Time wise, this took me about 2 hours after work today.
I still have to fix that front pillar seam, and add a couple plug welds on the front side of the pillar base. Then do the under side welding after the cab goes back up again.
This side fit better than the other, so I’d say for me that 3 hours is a minimum. Thats including the back side welding.
This doesn’t include the rusty pieces removal or the floor/pillar repairs. It really is time consuming.

Ol Blue K20 07-11-2020 05:45 AM

Looks good though...

SCOTI 07-11-2020 09:56 AM

I hate the impact of age on my vision. Its getting super hard for me to weld these days unless everything is perfect (which it rarely is). Some good advice given. Keep @ it!

clay68c10 07-11-2020 12:20 PM

Thanks OlBlue. If you have tools and the time to invest, go for it. I don’t mean to be discouraging, just realistic.

Scoti, after 45 my eyes just aren’t the same as they were in my 30s. I may throw on some readers next time I weld and see if that makes a difference.

SCOTI 07-11-2020 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clay68c10 (Post 8772723)
Thanks OlBlue. If you have tools and the time to invest, go for it. I don’t mean to be discouraging, just realistic.

Scoti, after 45 my eyes just aren’t the same as they were in my 30s. I may throw on some readers next time I weld and see if that makes a difference.

I'm in my 50's. My lens is magnified & I use readers :eek:

Biggest thing that impacts me is welding in different light settings. I get things set-up in one area for the lighting but then have to weld something else in a different spot w/different lighting. Wreaks havoc on my eyes trying to adjust & be able to see the weld path required.

Ol Blue K20 07-11-2020 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clay68c10 (Post 8772723)

Thanks, I may just give it a try.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8772732)
I'm in my 50's. My lens is magnified & I use readers :eek:

Biggest thing that impacts me is welding in different light settings. I get things set-up in one area for the lighting but then have to weld something else in a different spot w/different lighting. Wreaks havoc on my eyes trying to adjust & be able to see the weld path required.

I found my welding improved slot after I gave up and got prescription glasses. No more magnifying lenses....

Jason Banks 07-11-2020 09:00 PM

My vision is ok without glasses, but I find I need my welding to be well lit. I have about a 15 year old Harbor Freight auto darkening helmet that I used when doing almost the same cab repairs you are doing. Then I got a $50 amazon helmet that kept flashing me(aka not working) I finally just got a $215 Miller helmet and I can't believe how much better I can see while welding. Not only does it have a larger viewing area, but it is easier to see when not darkened and much clearer when darkened.

Hogshooter 07-11-2020 11:57 PM

I like to use a magnetic light to help see the weld seam, I will sometimes mark the seam/hole with soapstone or sharpie. Make sure your cover lenses are new and get comfortable before you start to make things easier.

clay68c10 07-12-2020 11:51 AM

Yes to all of that!
I have a newer auto helmet and it has made a big difference. The view when it’s off is great, and when it’s darkened it’s better than any of my old ones.
Definitely having a good extra light source helps when the lens is darkened. I have a couple of portable LED lights I use and that has probably made the biggest difference for me.

clay68c10 09-20-2020 03:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's been a while, I was on light duty for a bit after a collapsed lung. Not fun.
Finally got back at it and finished the rocker back side. Not too exciting, but it’s nice to be done with it.

clay68c10 09-20-2020 03:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I shot it with some etch primer and a quick rattle can top coat and tipped the cab back to normal.
Now it's time to do finally move my rear body mount brackets so I can mock up the engine and trans fitment. Also I can figure out what firewall holes I'll need and what I'll close up, as well as work on the LS side of the harness over the fall and winter. And any one of the other million things I have left to do...

clay68c10 09-20-2020 03:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Also flipped my trailing arm brackets to help the pinion angle since I'm lowering it. I had to drill 2 holes, pretty easy job and the same size drill bit as the mount brackets.

clay68c10 09-20-2020 03:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I got the Hooker/Holley LS stands. They are nicely made and I really like them. They will work with my Speed Engineering headers with some slight trimming to the top of the driver side mount and dimpling the #1 tube (no pic, didn't do that yet).
I usually make stuff like this, but for what they cost it's not worth the fab time to me.

clay68c10 09-20-2020 03:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I like to move things around with minimal assistance. I needed to get the frame moved into the garage. I used 2 furniture dollies and my son was able to help. Last time I used the cherry picker and a jack and my wife to help. Never again, it was heavy and awkward. This way was super easy.

clay68c10 09-20-2020 03:36 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I measured out the center of that garage stall so I don't take up more space than I need.Then I got the frame leveled front to back and right to left. Makes it easier to measure for the 4deg down angle I need on the eng/trans.

It was super exciting to have the TKO bolted up finally. It just looks good sitting there. The green strap worked great to keep everything sideways so I could hoist the whole thing in there from the side. I envy all of you with big shop areas, it makes things easier when you have extra room.

clay68c10 09-20-2020 03:45 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The cab is off the dolly for the first time in 2 years. Man it's been a while.

clay68c10 09-20-2020 03:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you squint it almost looks like a vehicle, sort of.

clay68c10 09-20-2020 03:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I was really wondering where my shifter was going to end up. I installed the mid-shift, so I knew it would be in an ok spot, but this really is going to work out well. I haven't measured it, but it eyeballs as 2" to 3" aft of the stock location. I'm happy with that.

SCOTI 09-20-2020 04:44 PM

Nice, big update. Gotta love that amount of progress.

doowoppwer 09-20-2020 05:20 PM

As i read about these LS transplants, I notice that you guys either spend lots of time or money redoing the wiring harness. If a function is deleted from the computer, (assuming the whole enchilada comes from the same vehicle), why is it necessary to redo the harness? I'm thinking in terms of house wiring...if you remove the load and open the breaker, the wire stays in the conduit but causes no problem. Am i missing something critical? thanks.

clay68c10 09-20-2020 06:57 PM

Scoti; yes lots done is nice. Minus my lung situation I would have gotten more done but that’s how it goes sometimes. I’m just happy it didn’t happen out in the boonies, that may not have gone so well.

Doowop; I’m removing a lot because I’m deleting all the auto trans functions. That’s a lot of extra bulk. Realistically a person could leave all the extra wires and just delete the functions from the programming. The only part that really requires wiring work is the power and ground side. But, I do a lot of wiring at work and really want a clean harness so I’m going that extra bit and opening it all up. I’m particular enough that I end up a glutton for punishment with these things.

doowoppwer 09-20-2020 09:47 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'll be swapping out the tired engine in my daily driver so I won't worry about removing extra wires.

SCOTI 09-20-2020 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clay68c10 (Post 8811020)
Scoti; yes lots done is nice. Minus my lung situation I would have gotten more done but that’s how it goes sometimes. I’m just happy it didn’t happen out in the boonies, that may not have gone so well.

Doowop; I’m removing a lot because I’m deleting all the auto trans functions. That’s a lot of extra bulk. Realistically a person could leave all the extra wires and just delete the functions from the programming. The only part that really requires wiring work is the power and ground side. But, I do a lot of wiring at work and really want a clean harness so I’m going that extra bit and opening it all up. I’m particular enough that I end up a glutton for punishment with these things.

I meant to ask.... What/how did the lung thing happen?

cornerstone 09-20-2020 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8811119)
I meant to ask.... What/how did the lung thing happen?

Same here, I'm curious as to how that happens to a guy. From my perspective it would seem there would need to be some sort of traumatic event, like a car accident or something like that. I hope that's all behind you!

May70 09-20-2020 11:37 PM

Spontaneous pneuomothorax does not require any traumatic event. Most of the time its just a partial collapse but they are all deemed a 'collapse'. Some how or another the lung tissue ruptures and air escapes into the chest cavity. Most are due to 'blebs' which are just cysts full of air that rupture from over growth or coughing. The cause of blebs are unknown but are predominant in tall, white males on the thin side. Depending on the amount of pleura separation and the direction it separates, it can be unimaginably painful. Ive had three large chest tubes, one smaller one and a needle decompression through the front chest. My last go around I was passing in and out of consciousness from the pain for over 15 minutes while they were trying to get an emergency chest tube placed.

I can attest from having a few, the last being the direction with the worst pain and it was a complete collapse. I had the vats chemical pleurodesis and the top apex of my lung removed and have not had another collapse coming up on 3 years.

I would not wish that on the worst person on the planet.

If you want to talk offline you can pm me. Risk of recurrent pneumo's increase drastically after each event, in case they didn't key you in on that. I assume youve only had one. My second was about 100 times more painful than the first. I got a pretty good doc, i think the 4th go around, some good meds to prevent the situation. There are a lot of factors that can weigh in on those pneumos. One being pathways to the alveoli constricted, which when you go to cough they cannot release the air quick enough and subsequently rupture from the pressure. There are medications that enlarge those pathways.

MDPotter 09-21-2020 09:15 AM

Glad to hear you're alright and back working on the truck! I was doing rust repair on mine this weekend and wondering if you had been working on it...

clay68c10 09-21-2020 11:53 AM

So, here's the not so fun story:
Woke up on a Wednesday (July 22) and within 15min I knew something was wrong. Short of breath and pain in my chest. I figure some sort of heart attack. I Google (funny, right?) the symptoms as its getting worse and realize the pain is on the R side and not radiating. At that point I wake up my wife and call 911. Fire dept shows up, determines it's not heart but definitely not good. As May70 says, it's painful as hell. Like fall down and crawl around speechless painful. I really thought I might die. Now I go for a 4:30am ambulance ride.
Get to the ER, the pain isn't as crushingly bad, but still not nice. X-ray shows the the R side is 100% flat. Well no wonder it feels so bad, when it's that far gone, there is sideways pressure on your heart.
As they put in a chest tube I almost pass out, then WOW I feel better as soon as they pull a vacuum. Like amazingly better.
First step is to keep the vacuum on for 24hrs then seal the line and test over the next 24hrs for any leaking. Well I end up leaking, dammit.
Next step is CT scan, and find out where the blebs are. (My kids think that's a funny word, I agree)
Blebs are found and it's off to laproscopic surgery. They cut them out, staple the lung holes, and stick the lung to the inside of my chest cavity by roughing the surface up. Yes, it was sore for a while.
Then 24hrs on vacuum and 24hrs off to leak test. This time I pass. Then it's follow up x-rays and those look good.
6 days in the hospital and I'm home on light duty.
The follow up x-ray a week later looks good so I'm cut loose and feeling better.
At this point now, I'm mostly normal with some muscle tightness where the holes were thru my ribs but overall OK. Breathing is 90% and getting better.

As far as a cause, the docs told me the same thing. Random for thin frame white guys. One doc said he used to see this fairly frequently with college kids in Boulder hitting the bong a little too hard :lol:
The only thing I can think may have done it for me was a 5min exposure to catalyzed paint on the previous friday. My buddy was painting a steering column for me in his booth and I was in there for a little bit. The booth was on and I had my covid mask on. Barely smelled the fumes, but maybe that got it going?? One other guy I work with had the same thing happen to him with 2-part car paint years ago so... no 2-part painting for me. EVER. If I use anything else (rattle can) I put on a super filtered and powered full mask system or I don't do it.

SCOTI 09-21-2020 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clay68c10 (Post 8811373)
So, here's the not so fun story:
Woke up on a Wednesday (July 22) and within 15min I knew something was wrong. Short of breath and pain in my chest. I figure some sort of heart attack. I Google (funny, right?) the symptoms as its getting worse and realize the pain is on the R side and not radiating. At that point I wake up my wife and call 911. Fire dept shows up, determines it's not heart but definitely not good. As May70 says, it's painful as hell. Like fall down and crawl around speechless painful. I really thought I might die. Now I go for a 4:30am ambulance ride.
Get to the ER, the pain isn't as crushingly bad, but still not nice. X-ray shows the the R side is 100% flat. Well no wonder it feels so bad, when it's that far gone, there is sideways pressure on your heart.
As they put in a chest tube I almost pass out, then WOW I feel better as soon as they pull a vacuum. Like amazingly better.
First step is to keep the vacuum on for 24hrs then seal the line and test over the next 24hrs for any leaking. Well I end up leaking, dammit.
Next step is CT scan, and find out where the blebs are. (My kids think that's a funny word, I agree)
Blebs are found and it's off to laproscopic surgery. They cut them out, staple the lung holes, and stick the lung to the inside of my chest cavity by roughing the surface up. Yes, it was sore for a while.
Then 24hrs on vacuum and 24hrs off to leak test. This time I pass. Then it's follow up x-rays and those look good.
6 days in the hospital and I'm home on light duty.
The follow up x-ray a week later looks good so I'm cut loose and feeling better.
At this point now, I'm mostly normal with some muscle tightness where the holes were thru my ribs but overall OK. Breathing is 90% and getting better.

As far as a cause, the docs told me the same thing. Random for thin frame white guys. One doc said he used to see this fairly frequently with college kids in Boulder hitting the bong a little too hard :lol:
The only thing I can think may have done it for me was a 5min exposure to catalyzed paint on the previous friday. My buddy was painting a steering column for me in his booth and I was in there for a little bit. The booth was on and I had my covid mask on. Barely smelled the fumes, but maybe that got it going?? One other guy I work with had the same thing happen to him with 2-part car paint years ago so... no 2-part painting for me. EVER. If I use anything else (rattle can) I put on a super filtered and powered full mask system or I don't do it.

Wow. Hard to think something that's so easy to overlook (in a gear-heads world) could be a contributor.

clay68c10 09-21-2020 07:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Definitely! And I really don't know 100% for sure that was the cause. The docs also said maybe.
Guess I just need to be more careful in general.

But, on a more truck related note...
I mounted up a wheel/tire just to see how it will look!
The ride height will be a bit higher than this jack height, but I'm liking the look. 17x8 with a 265/60

cornerstone 09-21-2020 08:40 PM

Well that sucked! So glad to hear your over it and that it didn't get the best of you. Back in the saddle already!

I went the 20" route with my wheels, but I think I like the look of those 17"s even better. More sidewall just looks right on these classics. :metal:

SkidmoreGarage 09-22-2020 01:43 AM

A health emergency is not a great experience. Happy to hear you are back on your feet.

A couple years ago I had a work colleague collapse at his desk from a collapsed lung, everyone thought it was a heart attack. He was a super fit runner in his mid thirties. Funny enough a skinny, tall white guy. It can happen to anyone and without warning. It’s good practice to take care of your lungs, you only get one set and they work like little filters.

clay68c10 09-22-2020 10:13 PM

Thanks all, I appreciate it.

Yes, I do like a bit of sidewall. I think of it as the Hot Wheels look.

Stickman 09-26-2020 09:54 AM

Those wheels look great,real classic look. What size are those tires?