The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today part IV (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=729696)

ACK 06-21-2020 06:47 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today part IV

I removed the old dash speaker, cut 1/4" ABS plastic to size, made (2) 4" holes in the ABS, then transferred the old speaker mounting brackets, finally mounted (2) 4" speakers in the ABS and put back in place under the dash. I also ran foam tape around the edges of the plastic to prevent rattling. Sounds very good, the install was easy, and total cost was well under $50.

studeclunker 06-21-2020 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Williams (Post 8724233)
Shaved the gas cap and started door repair... grandpa had 13 different holes from various mirrors he had on this thing! Not to include the 3 stock mirror mounting holes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Your Grampa and I have some things in common. Or our truck doors do anyway!

https://image.freepik.com/free-vecto...2683-27761.jpg

Soupsdad 06-21-2020 09:57 PM

Replaced the fuel pump on my 62 C20. I started it up for the first time after it's winter nap and had fuel pretty much running out from the pump. A new pump and a couple tightened-up hose clamps, and we're back on the road.

roll_the_dice 06-22-2020 10:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
started painting and repairing my door panels. I got one completely painted with accent stripe also.

J Williams 06-22-2020 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8761921)
started painting and repairing my door panels. I got one completely painted with accent stripe also.

Dang that looks sharp. I have a question for you. When you tapped off your stripes what kind of tape did you use. I am finding when I pull my tape it’s not a smooth line like yours. I am using a 3M tape that says it’s for sharp paint lines... maybe I am doing something wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device

roll_the_dice 06-22-2020 02:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by J Williams (Post 8762047)
Dang that looks sharp. I have a question for you. When you tapped off your stripes what kind of tape did you use. I am finding when I pull my tape it’s not a smooth line like yours. I am using a 3M tape that says it’s for sharp paint lines... maybe I am doing something wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks J. I used 1/4" green 3M tape for the initial tape line. I used one continuous tape line going around the corners and finishing where I started, then did the same for the outer portion. I ran my finger around the tape line to make sure it was down good especially in the corners.I then used regular blue painters tape to cover the rest of the panel making sure to get a good overlap of tape so I would get no paint seap. I then sprayed the green. I ended up doing 4 coats of green because I messed up on the 2nd coat. So I let it dry for about 30 minutes and sanded out the imperfection. I then gave it 2 more coats.

I think this is important in pulling a tape line. Once the final coat was put down, I immediately started taking the blue painters tape off, then finally pulled the green 1/4" tape off without waiting until it dried. Here are a few pictures of the taping and painting. As you can see in the close-up it isn't 100% the same width, but not bad for just laying down the tape without being anal...and can't tell from more than a few feet away. Hope that helps!

J Williams 06-22-2020 03:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8762061)
Thanks J. I used 1/4" green 3M tape for the initial tape line. I used one continuous tape line going around the corners and finishing where I started, then did the same for the outer portion. I ran my finger around the tape line to make sure it was down good especially in the corners.I then used regular blue painters tape to cover the rest of the panel making sure to get a good overlap of tape so I would get no paint seap. I then sprayed the green. I ended up doing 4 coats of green because I messed up on the 2nd coat. So I let it dry for about 30 minutes and sanded out the imperfection. I then gave it 2 more coats.

I think this is important in pulling a tape line. Once the final coat was put down, I immediately started taking the blue painters tape off, then finally pulled the green 1/4" tape off without waiting until it dried. Here are a few pictures of the taping and painting. As you can see in the close-up it isn't 100% the same width, but not bad for just laying down the tape without being anal...and can't tell from more than a few feet away. Hope that helps!

Awesome man, thanks for the tip! I think my problem might be that I am leaving the tape overnight. I was thinking let the paint harden before pulling it. I will give that at try.
Looks great man, especially for a garage paint job. You’re like me, want it to look good so you go the extra mile but can’t afford to have Chip Foose paint it! Keep it up man. Looks good. Here is a picture of my firewall I just painted the other day.
Posted via Mobile Device

roll_the_dice 06-22-2020 06:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by J Williams (Post 8762085)
Awesome man, thanks for the tip! I think my problem might be that I am leaving the tape overnight. I was thinking let the paint harden before pulling it. I will give that at try.
Looks great man, especially for a garage paint job. You’re like me, want it to look good so you go the extra mile but can’t afford to have Chip Foose paint it! Keep it up man. Looks good. Here is a picture of my firewall I just painted the other day.

Yeah, I hear ya. Would love to have paint and body done, but not in the budget at the moment...so I do what I can. Here is my firewall...so we are very similar...just different colors.

Chevy Fleetside 06-24-2020 04:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Painted my engine today. Now time to put it back together. I had AA small spot of paint left on the oil Pan and matched it up to this color.

The Rocknrod 06-24-2020 04:27 PM

Nice engine paint job. :)

Jdm63 06-24-2020 11:39 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Finally got paint on the engine and managed to get some parts bolted back on this week. Went back and checked torque on all front suspension and chassis bolts. Now to tighten brake lines and mock up master cylinder connections so we can get engine set in.

J Williams 06-25-2020 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdm63 (Post 8763444)
Finally got paint on the engine and managed to get some parts bolted back on this week. Went back and checked torque on all front suspension and chassis bolts. Now to tighten brake lines and mock up master cylinder connections so we can get engine set in.

With everyone dropping v8’s in, your pics make me want to rebuild my 292 and put it back in! That looks awesome man!
Posted via Mobile Device

Chevy Fleetside 06-25-2020 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Williams (Post 8763464)
With everyone dropping v8’s in, your pics make me want to rebuild my 292 and put it back in! That looks awesome man!
Posted via Mobile Device

You should. It is getting rare to see original 6's in the trucks today. Mine is an original 283 V8.

pdxhall 06-25-2020 11:21 AM

That's a great looking 6 banger.

slepysal 06-25-2020 03:35 PM

dropped my 3 speed... t5 coming soon

Jdm63 06-25-2020 03:50 PM

I’m with ya on the T5 - re-shafted and ready to go Thanks to Lugnutz65

Android04 06-25-2020 04:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got my truck out for a little bath

J Williams 06-25-2020 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Android04 (Post 8763776)
Got my truck out for a little bath

Lookin smooth!
Posted via Mobile Device

J Williams 06-25-2020 09:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Started on the passenger door. Someone a long time ago that had no idea how to use body filler attempted to fix a large dent. Didn’t even attempt to remove any of the dent first. See what kind of mess I can make
Posted via Mobile Device

cwcarpenter98 06-25-2020 10:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bolted my inner fenders back up and stuck the new core support on

slepysal 06-26-2020 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdm63 (Post 8763771)
I’m with ya on the T5 - re-shafted and ready to go Thanks to Lugnutz65

Yup He is a great source of ino !!

J Williams 06-26-2020 09:31 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Well, day one of my 14 day COVID exposure quarantine.... got someone’s awful attempt at body filler sanded, started removing dents and then ran some more wires from the new harness and mounted the cab light and the Retro Sound radio. By the way I am not impressed at all by Retro Sound. The way it mounts is way cheesy.
Posted via Mobile Device

vetnat 06-28-2020 02:21 AM

Quote:

Looks great! What colour did you paint it with?

Jdm63 06-28-2020 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vetnat (Post 8765186)
Looks great! What colour did you paint it with?

Thank You , it’s painted same body color of the truck.

Steeveedee 06-28-2020 10:55 PM

Quote:

Cool! I'm digging all those finned covers! That's going to look good in the engine compartment, even if it's a lot of work to keep nice.