The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=463698)

Dan in Pasadena 11-25-2016 08:10 PM

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Kim,
Good point and we actually discussed something like this. Mike was recommending a bar mounted from one side of the cab to the other side behind the seat. My thought at the time (and his) was to put two shoulder belt mounts per passenger for four point racing style shoulder belts. Not what I wanted BUT we hadn't really thought of the approach you posted.
With your idea, i gues we wouldn't need the bar as long as the minut point on the seat was super strong.

My concern is if you're rear ended hard and your body weight is forced suddenly/hard against the belt the mount on the seat MUST hold. That El Camino mount looks plastic-y (it's probably better than it appears) or the belt could slide off the side of the seat and there would be no tension to hold you. Since I just stripped the seat frame I guess we could weld some kind of U bolt at the shoulder and find some kind of acceptable cover. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll discuss it with Mike again.

Dan in Pasadena 11-25-2016 08:37 PM

November 25, 2016

We mocked up the intake for appearance sake to see if I really like it....and I do.
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...psihgxmgcr.jpg

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...pshombvuur.jpg

Mike is suggesting I switch from the open foam style 14" diameter (I think) air filter I posted a picture of above to a dual snorkel style closed intake. I'm not so sure. The snorkel type would largely cover the intake manifold and then I'd not necessarily need to polish it. I could also paint it to match the body solar and have it pinstriped or whatever.

Opinions are solicited. I don't quite think the Cadillac(?) batwing style air cleaners are the right era for the truck. With this intake the "look" is more 60's except of course the fuel rails will be visible.

Kim57 11-25-2016 09:39 PM

Intake is very nice. i would try and have it show.
The plastic piece on the elco seat is just a guide to keep the belt in position. Tension once it is connected should keep it in place during an accident. I've seen different designs depending on the year of car.
I have also thought of a bar spanning the width of the cab behind the seat as a strong mounting point.
I'm still a ways from that point though.
Kim

ChuckDriver 11-25-2016 11:49 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 7776874)
JJ, Man, you're killing it style wise with your truck's interior. Love all of it. Outstanding taste. Now that you've committed to a red interior, what colors are you thinking about the the body? Black? White & red for the Cameo look? Red? Enquiring minds (nosy people! Lol) want to know.

I'm not completely sold on an exterior color yet, but I been leaning towards a deep blue metallic. I think it will work with the red, what do you think??

BIGglaSS 11-26-2016 01:22 AM

On the elco picture, the seat is way lower and below the window. That bracket might work. But in our trucks, my shoulder is mid-way up the window and quite a bit higher than the seat back. I don't think it would work. I'm planning on removing the outer skin to reinforce and put in a nut plate. I agree, something is better than nothing.

Dan in Pasadena 11-26-2016 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckDriver (Post 7778078)
I'm not completely sold on an exterior color yet, but I been leaning towards a deep blue metallic. I think it will work with the red, what do you think??

I like the color combo. It looks great in these pix you posted but admit I've never seen it before. I really love the mid 60's GM color Marina Blue. I really considered it for my truck but it's not a deep blue at all, it's a mid tone blue.

I've seen red with black exterior and I love it though I wouldn't want to deal with black anymore. As I've mentioned before I really love your orange Rally wheels. What was the color idea at the time you did those? Were you thinking blue then or something else?

ChuckDriver 11-26-2016 09:38 PM

I did the orange wheels about 10 years ago, as I knew it would be a long time before paint and I thought they would look cool!

When I do finally paint it, I'll change to something more appropriate, if I can make my mind up!!!

:uhmk:

Dan in Pasadena 11-28-2016 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckDriver (Post 7778842)
I did the orange wheels about 10 years ago, as I knew it would be a long time before paint and I thought they would look cool!

Did/does look cool.

If you were closer I'd want to buy them from you as an alternate set of wheels for my truck. I DO plan to have an alternate set of deep steelies at some point.

Coupeguy2001 11-28-2016 09:05 PM

Nobody asked me, but if the inside is red, the outside should be red as well.
Sorry, but i saw a 59 caddy that was blue with red interior, and it just looked like something was off.

We all know WHITE goes with any interior color :) LOLOLOLOLOLOL

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps1upwmpdk.jpg

Dan in Pasadena 11-30-2016 10:19 PM

November 30, 2016

Here's a poor (sorry) photo of the cab "B" pillar after it was cut open to install a shoulder belt mount nut plate. Yes, I'm surprised too there aren't layers of folded sheet metal inside there.
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...psqfkcwwqb.jpg

Here's the nut plate:
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...pskitlpedu.jpg
Nicely done but as you can see the only real thing holding the nut from pulling through the sheet metal in an accident is the thick plate it is welded to. But then again, the plate is the only thing holding the shoulder belt when you install it into a small window cab. The thinner sheet metal below is for welding back into the pillar so it looks like nothing was done afterward. This SHOULD keep me from smacking my face onto the steering wheel in a moderate accident. In a truly serious accident? I'm probably badly injured or worse in a 60+ year old vehicle. The risk we choose to run I suppose.

Here's the finished installation. Pretty much looks like nothing was done except there's a threaded hole now. The gap at left will be filled with seam sealer.

Feel free to comment. I intend to use Juliano's seat/shoulder belt kit but don't know what color yet.
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...psaqiusqgt.jpg

BIGglaSS 12-01-2016 12:39 AM

Thanks for sharing, Dan. I am probably going to do something similar.

Kim57 12-01-2016 09:04 AM

Looks to be about the best place for it.
Kim

Flysocal 12-01-2016 01:17 PM

i think you hired damn good fabricators. The amount of force to pull the nut out is tremendous. your body would be cut in half by the seat belt first.

Dan in Pasadena 12-01-2016 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flysocal (Post 7783869)
i think you hired damn good fabricators...

Thanks! I'll pass along the compliment to Mike.

December 01, 2016

Picked up the car dashboard from the sandblaster today and dropped it off at the shop. Mike wants to bring in the bodyman to coordinate how they want to make the swap. I didn't take close up photos but there is a detail line along the perimeter of both dashes.

Right now it looks like it would make the most sense to cut carefully along that line on the truck dash then use the removed part to trace the cut line on the same detail line on the car dash and butt weld the dash into place. This would leave the factory pieces where the truck dash trim screws mount. This probably makes little sense without pictures, sorry.
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...psbutf1wvt.jpg

A picture just for the record. The passenger side shoulder belt mount is in now and will need nearly no filler. Metal finishing is very nice. Hard to explain but these holes are on the surface of the pillar that faces the rear window. It's probably not wide enough to allow the belt mount to hang level but it's gonna have to be ok. If it were on the front face of the pillar the mount is too wide and would hang off the pillar and look bad, I think.
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...pstkzos1de.jpg

ChuckDriver 12-01-2016 09:36 PM

Belt mounts look great! Might have to borrow that idea one day!!

Dan in Pasadena 12-02-2016 01:26 AM

JJ, If you do this mod I suggest you have the Juliano's (or whoever's you use) mount in hand. I THINK this might have been better moved over toward the edge of the pillar just a little. Maybe another 1/4" so the guide the belt goes through will hang level. Not a big deal.

Russell Ashley 12-02-2016 04:41 PM

Good timing. I just ordered the panels to convert my truck to a BBW. I think I'll save these two picture as it might be a while before I am at this point, and my senior citizen memory will have forgotten where they are by then.

Dan in Pasadena 12-02-2016 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Ashley (Post 7784906)
Good timing. I just ordered the panels to convert my truck to a BBW...

Cool! Why did you decide to do that? Jut wante the look or do you have cancer in the rear panels and decide to go "whole hog" in fixing it?

Dan in Pasadena 12-02-2016 06:00 PM

Friday, December 2, 2016
Went by to pay Mike for the week and some parts and he'd been making the AC connections under the dash. VERY tight working conditions because we're trying to keep the bulkheads almost out of sight. Anyway, here's the progress to date. Still has to connection water lines:
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...psfxd3wskv.jpg

Here's a bit better photo of the car dash after blasting. Marcos (the body & paint guy) is coming by this afternoon so they can figure out the best way to make the swap.
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...psmiuz0th1.jpg

I'm using a mechanical fan so it would be dangerous without a cover. Right now I'm thinking we'll polish the covers and chrome the factory core support cover in front of it...but I'm not sure. Chrome & [olished aluminum right net to each other might look wrong, not sure. The other option is painting the core support body color but leaving the aluminum polished. PS: The radiator below will be painted black so it recedes from view. The factory serpentine system will be polished, thought most of it won't be very visible and the recessed areas on it will be black. Opinions are solicited.
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...pszybgyrg8.jpg

Kim57 12-03-2016 10:37 AM

Coming along nicely.
I cleaned up and painted the factory brackets on my engine.
They turned out pretty good.
Kim

Russell Ashley 12-04-2016 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 7784928)
Cool! Why did you decide to do that? Jut wante the look or do you have cancer in the rear panels and decide to go "whole hog" in fixing it?

Dan, virtually no cancer in the corners, and still has the deflectors screwed to the bottom. Not sure how common it is for those to still be there. I just love the BBW trucks and want the look. I probably wouldn't be doing it if my son didn't own a shop and hadn't volunteered to do the conversion for me.

BTW, I ordered the two panels Tuesday or Wednesday, and the truck showed up at my son's shop Friday afternoon with them. I don't know where they came from but I didn't expect them that soon. Now I'm getting excited.

Dan in Pasadena 12-04-2016 05:18 PM

Make sure to take a lot of pictures. I lucked out finding a big window truck.

ChuckDriver 12-04-2016 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 7784486)
JJ, If you do this mod I suggest you have the Juliano's (or whoever's you use) mount in hand. I THINK this might have been better moved over toward the edge of the pillar just a little. Maybe another 1/4" so the guide the belt goes through will hang level. Not a big deal.

Dan, since you are going all out on this build making it your dream truck, I would suggest that you install the seat and belts before the paint is done so you are absolutely sure it all fits together like you want them to!!

Seatbelts are next on my list.

Dan in Pasadena 12-04-2016 09:19 PM

Oh, you mean pick from the available colors before the paint is sprayed? I was thinking the belts would match the interior - whatever that ends up being.

I keep thinking a light color. Not white or ivory but a light to medium tan. I've seen a few done in a peanut butter color and then there's always black in a red truck for a very traditional combo. I like the idea of matching red BUT if the paint and interior are off just a littel it looks like, "Nice try, you ALMOST matched it" to me.

ChuckDriver 12-04-2016 11:12 PM

No, I actually meant just to mock it up so that you could sit there and make sure the belt was at the right height and angle for you.

The camel/caramel browns look great in a red truck!

ChuckDriver 12-04-2016 11:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Dan in Pasadena 12-04-2016 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckDriver (Post 7787031)
No, I actually meant just to mock it up so that you could sit there and make sure the belt was at the right height and angle for you.

The camel/caramel browns look great in a red truck!

Honestly? It's too late for that. BUT, I did research here, on Juliano's site and on YouTube and everything I could find said put the mount at or above the mid point in the window if you're about 5'-10" - 6'-0'. I think i'm good. I hope!

Last weekend i tore down my seat to the bare frame for blasting/powder coating but i have another (fugly) one I can use. It's a good suggestion, i'll take it over to the shop this week and see how it looks.

Dan in Pasadena 12-04-2016 11:19 PM

Yeah, that DOES look good but my red is much darker. It doesn't photograph well but it is late model Honda dark red call San Marino red....tentatively of course.

Dan in Pasadena 12-08-2016 01:45 PM

Thursday, December 8, 2016

The truck is nearing tear down so the frame and smaller components can go to the blaster for powder coating. I'm not welding shut miscellaneous holes in the frame. I considered it but it's not intended to be a "show" truck (even though I have gotten carried away with some things). I hope it looks very nice anyway and i'm only trying to please myself.

To Do List:
- Clean up exhaust manifolds of unused flanges, etc.
- Weld 1 or 2 plugs into floor holes
- Install gas pedal
- Mount foot-operated parking brake
- Minor changes to radiator/fan guard for better fit
- Install drop down stainless battery box under passenger side of cab

Looking like I'll pick up the frame next Friday and take it to the blaster/powdercoater. I'll take the body back to the body shop the same day.

murd969 12-08-2016 03:19 PM

Everything is looking good.

Kim57 12-08-2016 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 7790525)
Thursday, December 8, 2016

The truck is nearing tear down so the frame and smaller components can go to the blaster for powder coating. I'm not welding shut miscellaneous holes in the frame. I considered it but it's not intended to be a "show" truck (even though I have gotten carried away with some things). I hope it looks very nice anyway and i'm only trying to please myself.

To Do List:
- Clean up exhaust manifolds of unused flanges, etc.
- Weld 1 or 2 plugs into floor holes
- Install gas pedal
- Mount foot-operated parking brake
- Minor changes to radiator/fan guard for better fit
- Install drop down stainless battery box under passenger side of cab

Looking like I'll pick up the frame next Friday and take it to the blaster/powdercoater. I'll take the body back to the body shop the same day.

That's what it's all about.
Some times I let my self get side tracked thinking about what others may think.
Kim

Dan in Pasadena 12-08-2016 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim57 (Post 7790716)
That's what it's all about.
Some times I let my self get side tracked thinking about what others may think.
Kim

Thanks Kim,
Yeah, I respect the opinions of the guys here because we're "conoisseurs" of Task Force trucks or we wouldnt be here.

So I value the opinions. BUT, in the end, I have to pay the bill and I have to be the one who looks at the truck and I'd better say, "I love it exactly as it is"....otherwise, why did I do it?

Dan in Pasadena 12-14-2016 03:54 PM

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Not too much to report until Friday but the parking brake mechanism was installed yesterday. I'd originally intended to use a Lokar style that mount to the firewall & dashboard leading edge but since my dash is coming out soon and because Mike had a buddy that got us a deal on this factory type we went with this.
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...psrjr8kh5m.jpg

It seems pretty solid and I'll put some kind of better looking pedal cover on it eventually. The only issue right now is whether the factory vent cover will fit with it there? I think it will with some spacers. Yeah, I know with AC most guys get rid of the vents. But I didn't weld shut the cowl vent (kinda like it) and if I cover the vents then there's a dead end for leaves, twigs, rain, etc. Thoughts anyone?

ChuckDriver 12-14-2016 04:21 PM

Could it be moved up higher and the pedal arm lengthened?

Dan in Pasadena 12-14-2016 04:23 PM

Hmmm, not a bad idea. I'll ask about it.

bowt1ed 12-15-2016 09:21 AM

Hey Dan, is that a push release or cable release? What is it off of? Also been looking that direction.

Cheers, Jim

Dan in Pasadena 12-15-2016 11:55 AM

Hi Jim,
It's a push to release type. It's new so I have no idea what vehicle it fits. I THINK Mike said it fits GM truck's as original equipment but I'll have to check.

Dan in Pasadena 12-15-2016 07:24 PM

Here's a little bit clearer shot of the parking brake.
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...psxqduacps.jpg

I confirmed it can't be installed higher with a longer arm fabricated, unfortunately. Too bad because that would have been a good fix. If it went higher the bolts would be above where the fender covers.

I decided the fix is to cut the vent flange off, trim 1/2" off the vent itself, and weld it back tighter to the kick panel. Spacers would be a bad idea because they would cause work hardening of the sheet metal over time and cause it to tear.

ChuckDriver 12-15-2016 07:59 PM

Might be easier to move the pedal pad over.??

ebernst 12-15-2016 10:35 PM

Looks great, Dan! I think it's a solid truck and I can't wait to see what you do to it.