The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   48 Burb, bagged, 5.3, 20 year wait (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=627134)

smbrouss70 11-14-2018 09:00 PM

Re: 48 Burb, bagged, 5.3, 20 year wait

Wow, she does sound special! This time we will meet on HRPT 2019, I'll be looking for you.

mongocanfly 11-14-2018 09:24 PM

Same here Doug...prayers for you and all....although we've never met I'm sure she was a special,strong lady...heaven is a much much better place than here on earth...im sure she'll be watching over you...keep the faith...
Maybe just maybe I'll have my ol truck on the road by power tour time...theres several big events I'd like to make next year...

oldman3 11-15-2018 12:25 AM

Hey Doug, only met you and Cindy for a few hours, but I could tell she was a special lady, with the gifting, etc. My best to you and the family...Jim

JJorgensen52 11-15-2018 11:10 AM

Doug,

So sorry to hear this news. I've never met y'all in person, but it has always been clear in your posts that family is the center of your world and I have no doubt this is a great loss. Thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

JJ

Dads79GMC 11-15-2018 11:15 AM

Your strength and faith are remarkable and an example to be followed. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Mike

joedoh 11-15-2018 05:59 PM

its amazing how you talk about your wife, sure she did her part and made herself memorable but it is really apparent the amount of respect and love you have. if there is anything you need, just holler!

RockinKees 11-16-2018 01:40 PM

No day goes by without thinking of you two Doug.
When I got the message, I was shocked, still am....

I know she keeps an eye on you from above!
You were / are a special team together!!

Advanced Design 11-17-2018 12:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Guys, thank you all for the kind words and prayers!

Now, Cindy wanted me to get this Suburban built so here is what we are gonna do ....

Friends, we are putting together a "WIRE AND FIRE" shop day on Saturday, January 19, 2019 in my heated shop. You are all invited and if you would like to attend, please send me a PM.

Our goal will be to wire, plumb and fire up the LS equipped 1948 Suburban Cindy and I were building. We will be using cool parts from Holley, Dakota Digital, American Autowire and others for a really fun time. Food, snacks and beverages will be plentiful!

Let's break up the winter doldrums, spend some time together having fun and make some great memories! And hey, if we want to do more on Sunday that's ok too. Will you make it?

Advanced Design 11-17-2018 01:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And additional new parts are already showing up!

A number of my good friends are already making plans for our “Wire and Fire” day. We will have everything well prepped, parts will be very organized and various build elements will be identified with a talented point person heading that up. For example, Nathan is a very talented tech, an LS swap guru and wiring Einstein, so he will be point on the wiring. Other folks will be heading up fuel system, some metal shaping, air ride system, and Wilwood brakes.

To stay organized and efficient, folks that want to participate can initially sign up with helping in one specific area listed above and then rotate to another area when ever they want. Plus there will be plenty of chairs for bench racing too.

And we are a down to earth friendly bunch, no ego’s here, so we will have a great time.

reaper71 11-17-2018 10:17 AM

Doug, I'm truly sorry for your loss!

Your "wire and fire" Sounds awesome!

mongocanfly 11-17-2018 10:33 AM

That sounds like a great idea....an old fashioned barn raising of sorts...

Rickysnickers 11-17-2018 11:09 AM

Oh man, I'm so sorry for your loss. Peace be with you!

joedoh 11-18-2018 02:27 PM

I would love to make it to this! my januarys are usually full of work in washington state but nothing is ever guaranteed.

Advanced Design 11-18-2018 11:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the kind words Mark and Rickysnickers! The Lord is giving me strength.

We will have a good time Jan 19. Mongo and Mark, you should come. Joedoh is going to try to make it. There will be quite a bit of pre-work done so our time goes smoothly.

First thing though is I need to move this out.

Advanced Design 11-18-2018 11:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And I pulled this back out of the box to check what I need for injectors. Looks like mold on the rail....

oldman3 11-19-2018 12:34 AM

That's one big green thingy...Jim

lower50's 11-19-2018 03:07 PM

So sorry for your loss Doug, I could tell the two of you had a great bond. I don't think I could make it to your "wire and fire" but sounds awesome. You should make plans to go to AD Nationals next September.

LEEVON 11-19-2018 03:31 PM

Sorry to hear Doug. A Proverbs 31 wife, what a blessing and a loss.

rusty76 11-19-2018 07:33 PM

Sorry to hear of your wife’s passing. Prayers to you and your family. Can’t wait to see updates on the burb.

Advanced Design 11-19-2018 09:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8387177)
That's one big green thingy...Jim

It sure is...takes a 100’ swath spraying fields and doubles as a shop camera platform. :)

Advanced Design 11-19-2018 09:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Guys thank you for your kind words and prayers!

Lower, we think the “Wire and Fire” should be fun and I hope to make AD nationals next year with this Burb.

I’ve been researching parts and have now settled on the accessory drive from Holley.

Been saving this article about install in the AD truck. https://www.hotrod.com/articles/inst...7-chevy-truck/

And Holly has their Hollydays sale going on now!

mongocanfly 11-19-2018 09:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice shot of the shop Doug...I would love to try and make it in jan...Will have to wait closer to the day before I could commit...
Jim(oldman) needs one of these...

Advanced Design 11-19-2018 09:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8387808)
Nice shot of the shop Doug...I would love to try and make it in jan...Will have to wait closer to the day before I could commit...
Jim(oldman) needs one of these...

Greg would be really cool if you could make it!

Jim does need one. This sign was from my Grandpa Jim’s auto repair shop. He had it from around WW2 and retired in late 1970’s. When I was a kid I loved going there and even liked the smell of the 90 weight gear oil the shop smelled of.

Funny my Grandsons say they love the smell of my shop.

Kinda doing a run on Holley considering their coil hiding valve covers. Not sure I like the “Holley” on them though.

mongocanfly 11-19-2018 10:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I really like these...but HOLY COW...what a price...https://www.texas-speed.com/p-5876-b...-anodized.aspx

Advanced Design 11-19-2018 10:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8387837)
I really like these...but HOLY COW...what a price...https://www.texas-speed.com/p-5876-b...-anodized.aspx

Yeah I like them too, had found those or some like them and was choking on the price. The Holley are about $450. I like how you did yours. Mark (reaper71) and others have done nice remote mounts.

There are remote mounts sitting on my shelf, though I keep looking at these while watching American Grafitti tonight, one of our favorite movies. Now I want a black 55....

reaper71 11-20-2018 08:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Doug, you could go this route.
You can use your stock valve covers (paint if you want) and put these covers over the coils.
These are from Clayton machine works...ava. from Summit

Mark

reaper71 11-20-2018 08:59 AM

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...01-b/overview/

Here is the link

Advanced Design 11-20-2018 10:20 AM

Thanks Mark. That is a good looking option.

Scott2 11-23-2018 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 8385876)
Guys, thank you all for the kind words and prayers!

Now, Cindy wanted me to get this Suburban built so here is what we are gonna do ....

Friends, we are putting together a "WIRE AND FIRE" shop day on Saturday, January 19, 2019 in my heated shop. You are all invited and if you would like to attend, please send me a PM.

Our goal will be to wire, plumb and fire up the LS equipped 1948 Suburban Cindy and I were building. We will be using cool parts from Holley, Dakota Digital, American Autowire and others for a really fun time. Food, snacks and beverages will be plentiful!

Let's break up the winter doldrums, spend some time together having fun and make some great memories! And hey, if we want to do more on Sunday that's ok too. Will you make it?

Doug - I got sidetracked for a bit and just checked back in to catch up. I’m so sorry to hear about your wife. Like many others I’m sure, I’ve enjoyed following your updates and seeing your wife and you work together. I often share them with my wife as we are also very close and work together on everything we can.

I’m interested in the wire and fire event and will try and get there. Where are guys staying near you?

Advanced Design 11-23-2018 10:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott2 (Post 8390293)
Doug - I got sidetracked for a bit and just checked back in to catch up. I’m so sorry to hear about your wife. Like many others I’m sure, I’ve enjoyed following your updates and seeing your wife and you work together. I often share them with my wife as we are also very close and work together on everything we can.

I’m interested in the wire and fire event and will try and get there. Where are guys staying near you?

Scott, thank you for your kind words! It is a blessing to have a great wife.

You would be very welcome here and I would be delighted if you can make it.

Due to our rural location, accommodations are a bit limited.
Robinson IL is about 18 miles NE on my place and I would suggest either of these...
https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/baymon...inson/overview
http://www.robinsonareahotel.com

Newton, IL is about 15 miles NW of me and I suggest...
https://www.staycobblestone.com/il/newton/

And if you are an RV guy, we have plenty of nice space here on our place.

On a build note, Holley mid mount is on the way...and I am not enthusiastic about the Holley valve covers. Price is decent for that style, just not wild about the design. Might just go back to remote mount for the coils.

joedoh 11-23-2018 10:59 PM

I love how compact the holley mid mount is, and how everything is included.

mongocanfly 11-23-2018 11:30 PM

that holley setup looks great Doug...

oldman3 11-24-2018 12:07 AM

Man, your getting some nice stuff for the get together...Jim

Advanced Design 11-24-2018 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 8390974)
I love how compact the holley mid mount is, and how everything is included.

It is pretty complete and should fit within the inner fenders. Kinda funny how you and I were talking the other day and I mentioned I really admire the builds, like yours, where guys are smart/resourceful making factory stuff fit....then I order this. Hope you can make it over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8391002)
that holley setup looks great Doug...

It does have a good look, is priced reasonable for everything included and hopefully will work well. The belt contact on the power steering pump looks a little light in degrees of contact. Just a “gut” feeling on my part though and not based on data. Be cool if you came up Greg.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8391034)
Man, your getting some nice stuff for the get together...Jim

Nothing but the best for Cindy’s build! I know it would be tough for you to get away Jim, though we would love for you and Mark to make our build day.

joedoh 11-24-2018 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 8391135)
Kinda funny how you and I were talking the other day and I mentioned I really admire the builds, like yours, where guys are smart/resourceful making factory stuff fit....then I order this. Hope you can make it over.

thanks for the compliment! but my dad used to say "if all the world were good intentions..." I just bought a complete set of con2r gauges, even though I know very well the method of reusing the steppers in the stock gauges. my reasoning is, moving the steppers looks fine but in practice doesnt stand up to the rigors of daily driving.

truth be told if I do an LS variant I will likely use the holley setup too!

MIKESAD50 11-24-2018 10:11 PM

Doug, Sorry to hear about your wife. The wire and fire sounds cool.
The Holley front drive system is cool looking.
I thought the same thing about the contact of the P/S pulley contact when I saw the picture you posted. not a lot of options on belt routing though. Wish that was out when ai need a front drive system.

Advanced Design 11-24-2018 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 8391466)
thanks for the compliment! but my dad used to say "if all the world were good intentions..." I just bought a complete set of con2r gauges, even though I know very well the method of reusing the steppers in the stock gauges. my reasoning is, moving the steppers looks fine but in practice doesnt stand up to the rigors of daily driving.

truth be told if I do an LS variant I will likely use the holley setup too!

OK, I don’t feel so bad! The Holley mid mount looks pretty nice.

Advanced Design 11-24-2018 11:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MIKESAD50 (Post 8391666)
Doug, Sorry to hear about your wife. The wire and fire sounds cool.
The Holley front drive system is cool looking.
I thought the same thing about the contact of the P/S pulley contact when I saw the picture you posted. not a lot of options on belt routing though. Wish that was out when ai need a front drive system.

Thanks Mike! I was working in the shop today doing some organizing for our Wire and Fire event. Come on over! We will have a good time.

Yeah, I looked at a bunch of front drive accessory systems with a goal of keeping inside the fenders. Was pretty focused on Wegners though it is pricey. Glad I waited for the Holley mid mount.

FedEx delivered from Jegs today. Very complete and it looks good!

mongocanfly 11-24-2018 11:15 PM

That's a good looking box of parts Doug...

RockinKees 11-25-2018 06:48 AM

That’s a nice box of Parts Doug!
The Holley setup looks great, pretty neat to get all of it between the fenders.

As for valve cover setup/coil relocating for LS engines, I like the Delmo’s very much, don’t know what they costs, I think they’re on the expensive side.... But I like what he does with these engines.

And I looked into your “Wire and Fire” meet up, but I can’t make it, I’ve tried, sorry.
Would have lovend to meet all of you. We will in the future!!