The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Shrunken66Stroker's build thread. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=333241)

X24 08-17-2013 05:31 PM

Re: Shrunken66Stroker's build thread.

Did the thread move? Where we at fellas?
Posted via Mobile Device

shrunken66stroker 08-17-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X24 (Post 6225578)
Did the thread move? Where we at fellas?
Posted via Mobile Device

No, this thread hasn't moved in long time! I've been working like crazy for the last year or so. 6-7 days a week and raising kids. I also have another project that I'm about a month from finishing. After that I'll be back. I've been lurking and trying to keep up on other builds, but have had no time for my own. Dammit. Back soon!

C@rnut001 08-17-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrunken66stroker (Post 6225594)
No, this thread hasn't moved in long time! I've been working like crazy for the last year or so. 6-7 days a week and raising kids. I also have another project that I'm about a month from finishing. After that I'll be back. I've been lurking and trying to keep up on other builds, but have had no time for my own. Dammit. Back soon!

It is great to hear that you will be back...good luck getting the other project totally finished so we can see some progress here....:metal:

Strodder 08-17-2013 09:53 PM

I know what you mean Greg. I finely found time to do some work on my truck. :metal:
Posted via Mobile Device

shrunken66stroker 08-17-2013 10:17 PM

She's always in the garage waiting for me. So loyal.

X24 08-19-2013 02:05 PM

WOW, between all that work, plus the kids and wife... I can't imagine getting any free time.
I have 2 boys, a dog, wife, and a new house (fixer upper) plus a '64 c10...
You are my hero.
HOPE YOU GET TO FINISH THAT MACHINE SOON...
Posted via Mobile Device

shrunken66stroker 08-19-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X24 (Post 6228568)
WOW, between all that work, plus the kids and wife... I can't imagine getting any free time.
I have 2 boys, a dog, wife, and a new house (fixer upper) plus a '64 c10...
You are my hero.
HOPE YOU GET TO FINISH THAT MACHINE SOON...
Posted via Mobile Device

Me too. Thanks, X!

Frizzle Fry 08-20-2013 02:18 AM

Hey man, I hear you on the life/priorities/distractions. Remember this is a hobby. It will wait for you, and so will we.

McMurphy 01-11-2014 11:27 AM

Hey now, I saw where you said you been making some progress....
Out with it mister, some of us have been missing your build around here !!!

shrunken66stroker 01-12-2014 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 6465043)
Hey now, I saw where you said you been making some progress....
Out with it mister, some of us have been missing your build around here !!!

Ha! I'll take some pics and get them up asap. I'm one of the ones who's been missing my build around here!

C@rnut001 06-01-2014 01:43 PM

Is your truck still on hold due to work, life and kids? Don't work yourself to death, take a vacation and work on this thing already...LOL.

Strodder 06-02-2014 08:54 PM

Yeah, I'm in the same boat :uhmk:

daverod 06-07-2014 12:03 AM

Its just a matter of time she'll want the garage.

1966chevy 09-24-2014 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrunken66stroker (Post 3194654)
I'm going to start from the beginning to give you guys a sense of how far this project has come. My Grandfather bought this truck off the lot in 66 along with a chevelle for my Grandmother. I think he must have run into some money to buy both of them at the same time. The chevelle is currently sitting in my Dad's driveway in pristine unrestored condition. It has the original 283, powerglide and only about 70,000 miles on it. That's my next project if I can talk him out of it. Back to the truck.
This truck sat broken down in my yard from the time I was in middle school till I was 21. My Dad and I put a rebuild small block in and I drove it around the country. 30,000 miles later I finally moved into a house with an empty two car garage out back. This was 2 years ago in January 09'. I started stripping it down to the frame immediately. Once the frame was bare metal I decided to convert it from a long to a short bed. With some help from my Brother and Dad, we cut 20 inches out of the frame and the bed. I ordered up the Air Ride Strong Arm kit for the front and back along with a four wheel disc brake set up from Baer. After the bags and brakes were on I put the cab back on the truck and started cutting rust out of the floor board, kick panels and rocker panels. I patched the floors on both sides and moved to the front fenders. I bought new ones but have since decided to cut them up and patch the original fenders. When you get a part for your truck and it has a made in Taiwan sticker on it, it makes you cringe. Plus nothing fits like original sheet metal. I've done most of the hammer and dolly work and have gotten all of the panels pretty straight. When the front fenders are done I'll be ready for primer.
Right now I still have the rebuilt small block in it but I traded out the old 4 speed granny for a T-5 out of a Firebird. It's a good cruising combination for now but it's only a place holder for what I'm in the process of building. I've started a 383 stroker that will have about 450hp and will be bolted to a Tremec TKO500 5 speed. I'll probably have to finish the truck first with the engine and tranny that are in it now and swap them out later. I've had to prioritize since the economy turned to ****.
I'll post as many pictures as I can to give you guys a good look at some of the work that's been done. Some of them are from my phone so there a bit fuzzy but effective.
Thanks for looking.

Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.

1774btcrew 10-09-2014 01:12 PM

Has there been any progress on this?

RPOZ11 12-27-2014 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrunken66stroker (Post 6225594)

I can totally relate!
Love the build.
Thanx for a great thread for us all to enjoy!!!
:chevy:

shrunken66stroker 12-28-2014 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPOZ11 (Post 6973789)
I can totally relate!
Love the build.
Thanx for a great thread for us all to enjoy!!!
:chevy:

Been working on the steering linkage to the rack. I have a u-joint on the way and some double d steering shaft. When I put it together I'll take some picks and get this tread rollin again.

jlsanborn 12-29-2014 12:42 PM

Glad I found this one... Cool truck and awesome work!

Strodder 12-30-2014 03:46 PM

Is it snowing in Vegas yet? :uhmk:

shrunken66stroker 12-30-2014 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 6975841)
Glad I found this one... Cool truck and awesome work!

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 6977737)
Is it snowing in Vegas yet? :uhmk:

Not yet Dennis but it's forecasted to snow tomorrow, funny enough.
Happy New Year!

shrunken66stroker 01-05-2015 11:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here it is, an actual update. I ordered a u-joint and some double d shaft, then went to cutting. I need to do a little research on welding dissimilar metals. I'm trying to tig the stainless u-joint to the mild steel steering shaft. I know I need to get some straight argon, but I'm trying to figure out the best filler metal to use. I'm at 309L at the moment but need to call my brother to confirm. I need to fill the first hole in the frame that I cut and then realized the shafts wouldn't mate up. The instructions from No Limit for the rack didn't exactly work for me. More to come, hopefully it doesn't take me another year.

hotrod1 01-06-2015 12:54 AM

I use 308L with a regular mix gas.

rickoner 01-06-2015 07:00 AM

I might be wrong but I think 309 is the correct rod. An 'ol timer taught me "odd number when welding odd (dissimilar) metals." That's what I've always went off of. :dig:

Captainfab 01-07-2015 02:13 AM

I would also go with 309L and straight Argon.

shrunken66stroker 01-08-2015 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickoner (Post 6987647)
I might be wrong but I think 309 is the correct rod. An 'ol timer taught me "odd number when welding odd (dissimilar) metals." That's what I've always went off of. :dig:

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrod1 (Post 6987489)
I use 308L with a regular mix gas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 6988942)
I would also go with 309L and straight Argon.

Thanks guys. I got some 309 and a fresh bottle of argon today. I'm going to give it a shot this weekend. I'll post pics of how it turns out.