The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   48 Burb, bagged, 5.3, 20 year wait (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=627134)

Advanced Design 11-25-2018 09:02 AM

Re: 48 Burb, bagged, 5.3, 20 year wait

1 Attachment(s)
Ha, yeah sorry about the box of parts guys. :) Amazed they showed up on Saturday. The water pump saddle is a little closer to flat black than gloss black.

Kees, you would win the long distance award, I am sure, if you were able to make it.

Aside from taking pictures of boxes, I started gathering some handouts for our Jan 19 meet.

Advanced Design 11-25-2018 10:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We should also have some door prizes. Tom Hurd, a friend of mine that owns Trick Trucks and Rods, gave one of his firewall inserts to use on this Suburban.

You can check out Trick Trucks and Rods here...https://www.tricktrucknrod.com
He builds really nice stuff and has been helpful over the years with my endless questions.

Anyway, since I went a different direction on the firewall, his kit will be one of the door prizes.

lleff 11-26-2018 12:45 PM

looks like you are getting a good collection of parts gathered up for the wire and fire. if you need any help before hand feel free to get ask. or if you feel like looking at a crusty old jimmy let me know

Advanced Design 11-26-2018 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lleff (Post 8392751)
looks like you are getting a good collection of parts gathered up for the wire and fire. if you need any help before hand feel free to get ask. or if you feel like looking at a crusty old jimmy let me know

Sounds good and thank you! Let’s hook up one of these Saturdays. Give me a shout or text what works. With cold weather, I sure plan to be in the shop.

Nice weather yesterday, so loaded up for next prep step in getting ready for our Wire and Fire shop day.

youngrodder 12-04-2018 11:13 PM

Putting that new trailer to work......

Advanced Design 12-05-2018 12:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 8399013)
Putting that new trailer to work......

Yep, charging hard for second place! :)

A good friend made up a cool design for T shirts for our Jan 19 event. We are going to sell the shirts at our gathering and donate the entire amount to the non profit hospice organization that helped take care of Cindy. They serve many economically challenged people, get zero publicity, and will benefit greatly from the small amount we will provide. The general descriptions of conditions some people face while dealing with a grave illness broke my heart!

Parts ordering and organizing continues. We will have a good time!

RockinKees 12-05-2018 05:14 AM

Wonderful initiative Doug, selling T-shirts for the hospice.
My brother in law went to a hospice, 5 years ago, age 47.... They do indeed wonderful work. Highly underrated and almost only on gifts. You do good!!

What about that wagon, did you say it’s comming my way?? ;-)

Advanced Design 12-05-2018 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinKees (Post 8399154)
Wonderful initiative Doug, selling T-shirts for the hospice.
My brother in law went to a hospice, 5 years ago, age 47.... They do indeed wonderful work. Highly underrated and almost only on gifts. You do good!!

What about that wagon, did you say it’s comming my way?? ;-)

Hopefully the donation will help. The manager at hospice started crying when I told her what I wanted to do. They provide in home care support, which is what we did. Not there all the time, though the nurses stop by often enough to help manage care for the patient. Hardest thing I’ve ever done....

The 57 wagon is a two door 150 delivery and is really nice. Customer brought it to my friends shop for a Holley Sniper installation. He is going to rough in the body and engine harness on the Burb to give us a running start at our event.

oldman3 12-05-2018 10:24 AM

Doug, hospice is a great group. My car club helps with donations each year, and that money is used to purchase "Ensure" for their patients...Jim

mongocanfly 12-05-2018 11:08 AM

Great idea Doug....we used hospice for my grandmother....great bunch of people....

Advanced Design 12-05-2018 09:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Good deal for a good cause Jim! I am sure they really appreciate the help

Greg, they sure do provide a valuable service.

Parts, no boxes. Packaged in plastic and styrofoam peanut packed in a large shipping box. No packaging or display box, though the parts arrived in fine shape.

Ordered from our supporting vendor MCB at an extremely competitive price.

youngrodder 12-05-2018 10:12 PM

Nice gauges....your not screwing around anymore...(:

99 to Life 12-05-2018 11:33 PM

bless you Doug, God knows your heart. Very sorry to hear about your wife. I can't image that loss. But we lean on the Lord in the hardest times and his grace is more than enough.
I so love what you are doing with your event and also the shirts. Wish I was closer. If you need any help with shirt printing, let me know. I'd gladly print them at cost for you.

Advanced Design 12-06-2018 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 8399731)
Nice gauges....your not screwing around anymore...(:

They are. I didn’t go with the newest ones they have though. Spendy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 to Life (Post 8399799)
bless you Doug, God knows your heart. Very sorry to hear about your wife. I can't image that loss. But we lean on the Lord in the hardest times and his grace is more than enough.
I so love what you are doing with your event and also the shirts. Wish I was closer. If you need any help with shirt printing, let me know. I'd gladly print them at cost for you.

Thanks Henry. Yes, I’ve pretty much been letting the Lord carry me. And thank you for the offer on the shirts! I have them in process here in Oblong already. You should come on over. Folks from SD, CO, KS, hopefully MO, WI, OH are planning to come. Plus across IL too. Shooting for about 25 people.

Organizing continues!

99 to Life 12-06-2018 01:14 PM

Doug, cool I want to see the shirts! I would love to come over but I'm so spread thin. Been trying for six years to find a way to change my situation to be home full time with my family. So I don't have finances or time right now to do any traveling. In due time, the lord knows my course but surely determines my steps! Im sure we will meet in person some day. I hope the gathering goes well.

Advanced Design 12-16-2018 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 to Life (Post 8400083)
Doug, cool I want to see the shirts! I would love to come over but I'm so spread thin. Been trying for six years to find a way to change my situation to be home full time with my family. So I don't have finances or time right now to do any traveling. In due time, the lord knows my course but surely determines my steps! Im sure we will meet in person some day. I hope the gathering goes well.

Henry once the shirts get done I will be sure to show them. And we will hook up sometime. Maybe the AD nationals next year.

We continue to do prep work for our Wire and Fire. I want to make sure we have a good time, make new friends and have a fun day. Plus, as I mentioned above, raise a little money for hospice with 100% of T shirt sale proceeds going to hospice.

To help, Nathan is getting a start on the wiring with the AAW fuse box and DD module in place. Yes, we will have a lot of skilled folks here on Jan 19 and there is only room for maybe two friendly guys under the dash...so we are getting a jump on that part.

Other areas we will have to play with that day will be brake lines, fuel lines, Wilwood brakes, Ridetech air ride, radiator, Lokar shifter, metal shaping trans cover, TIG and MIG welding. Parts and any needed special tools will be organized out on tables.

mongocanfly 12-16-2018 08:46 PM

Uggghhhh.......wiring.....I dread that part on mine....I've got the aaw kit as well....

lower50's 12-17-2018 06:52 PM

The more prep work you can do the smother that day will go for sure.

Advanced Design 12-17-2018 11:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8406780)
Uggghhhh.......wiring.....I dread that part on mine.....

Me too! Glad my buddy wanted to give us a bit of a head start. I consider him a master at wiring.

Advanced Design 12-17-2018 11:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 8407349)
The more prep work you can do the smother that day will go for sure.

For sure! I sketched this out to help us with brake plumbing. Guys, please don’t knock my rudimentary drawing skills.

Most of the brake parts were ordered from here...https://www.technafitstore.com

They will have about everything you need to piece out a custom brake plumbing system. Takes a little time though is much more affordable than ordering the typical complete package from somewhere.

Advanced Design 12-17-2018 11:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Several hundred posts ago we were looking at accessory drives. At that time the Holley mid-mount wasn’t out yet. Yesterday I was looking at the dimensions and realized the block to tip of water pump on the mid-mount is a bit more than the stock truck dimension.

So, before I order the radiator and cooling fan, it will be necessary to assemble the accessory drive and truck front end with radiator support to measure for dimensions. Gotta see what will fit.

mongocanfly 12-17-2018 11:52 PM

I just measured my stock one Doug...it measures 7-1/4"...so you gaining about 3/8" with the holley....does that sound right?

Advanced Design 12-18-2018 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8407591)
I just measured my stock one Doug...it measures 7-1/4"...so you gaining about 3/8" with the holley....does that sound right?

That is what I have for the truck. Thanks for measuring. The Holley mid-mount is 7 5/8”, so tip of water pump is 3/8” closer to the radiator. Am I thinking right?

mongocanfly 12-18-2018 12:43 AM

Yep...3/8 closer....

joedoh 12-19-2018 01:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
gonna get it done before the wire and fire and everyone will just drink "antifreeze"

*joedohs super antifreeze recipe

ice in highball glass
2 jiggers stoli vodka
2 oz tonic
fill with jarritos lime soda
squeeze lime wedge

no kidding, its awesome. getting ready for the christmas party!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1545196171

I want to see that holley setup installed in an AD, I like it lots. :metal:

RockinKees 12-19-2018 05:01 AM

Doug, you’ll be ready before the Wire and Fire :metal:

Then you’ll have a party with the boys.....:bann::barn:

Advanced Design 12-19-2018 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 8408349)
gonna get it done before the wire and fire and everyone will just drink "antifreeze"

*joedohs super antifreeze recipe

ice in highball glass
2 jiggers stoli vodka
2 oz tonic
fill with jarritos lime soda
squeeze lime wedge

no kidding, its awesome. getting ready for the christmas party!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1545196171

I want to see that holley setup installed in an AD, I like it lots. :metal:

A sip of the antifreeze would keep me from freezing up for sure! Once we have a start, we will dry fit the front and have the accy drive installed to check space to rad.

Advanced Design 12-19-2018 09:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinKees (Post 8408383)
Doug, you’ll be ready before the Wire and Fire :metal:

Then you’ll have a party with the boys.....:bann::barn:

Yeah, lot of help getting ready.

Non FB live right now on some prep work...if I get off the seat.

Advanced Design 12-20-2018 09:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A few posts ago we were looking at accessory drive dimensions with concern to radiator clearance. Moving the engine back solved that more than likely. Image on the left is before and image on right is after moving it back, noticeable comparing balancer to crossmember.

And I likely gave myself another clearance issue with the intake. Adding the throttle body and intake tube shows contact with radiator, fan, shroud likely. Will know more when more pieces are put in place...again. Have three ideas to resolve that potential issue.

Advanced Design 12-20-2018 09:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The wiring is coming along neatly.

RockinKees 12-20-2018 05:00 PM

Wiring looks nice!
You gained an inch or so with putting the engine back?

Advanced Design 12-20-2018 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinKees (Post 8409936)
Wiring looks nice!
You gained an inch or so with putting the engine back?

Thanks, he does nice work. Yes I gained about an inch or so moving the engine back so water pump tip to radiator fan clearance should be good. Going to put front end together, probably at our Wire and Fire, to check spacing.

Scott2 12-20-2018 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 8409533)
The wiring is coming along neatly.

Great start!

smbrouss70 12-20-2018 11:45 PM

I love nice, neat wiring. Looks good.

I wish I could make the wire & fire, maybe you could stream a live broadcast for those of us that can't make it. :lol:

Advanced Design 12-21-2018 09:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott2 (Post 8410425)
Great start!

Thanks Scott!

Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 8410461)
I love nice, neat wiring. Looks good.

I wish I could make the wire & fire, maybe you could stream a live broadcast for those of us that can't make it. :lol:

It would be cool if you could make it up! Streaming would be interesting....hmm..I am intellectually challenged in knowing how and for sure band width limited out here.

Brake plumbing parts and some other stuff showed up.

reaper71 12-22-2018 10:20 AM

Um Doug....How many wheels you running on this thing?
I see 12 braided lines to go from calipers/wheel cylinders to hard line.:lol:

Advanced Design 12-22-2018 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper71 (Post 8411188)
Um Doug....How many wheels you running on this thing?
I see 12 braided lines to go from calipers/wheel cylinders to hard line.:lol:

Good eye Mark! To make sure we have good fitment for our Wire and Fire, I purchased a set in 14”, 16”, and 18”. That gives us some flexibility to determine what works best. One of my pet peeves is not having the needed parts when building. Living here in the sticks that issue always delays me a week, so I tend to order enough to make sure it doesn’t happen.

T shirts are done and I will pick them up next week. Be cool if you and Jim could make it Mark.

mongocanfly 12-22-2018 11:40 PM

Doug ...you must have been a boy scout...always prepared...do you have a flare tool for your hard brake lines?...I've got a Eastwood one if you have a need for it

Scott2 12-22-2018 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 8411591)
Good eye Mark! To make sure we have good fitment for our Wire and Fire, I purchased a set in 14”, 16”, and 18”. That gives us some flexibility to determine what works best. One of my pet peeves is not having the needed parts when building. Living here in the sticks that issue always delays me a week, so I tend to order enough to make sure it doesn’t happen.

T shirts are done and I will pick them up next week. Be cool if you and Jim could make it Mark.

I’m looking forward to the Wire and Fire -
I think it’ll be a great event! And t-shirts!

Advanced Design 12-23-2018 12:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8411595)
Doug ...you must have been a boy scout...always prepared...do you have a flare tool for your hard brake lines?...I've got a Eastwood one if you have a need for it

Thank you Greg! No Boy Scout, just grew up on a farm in the sticks where we had to be somewhat self sufficient. Guess those boyhood lessons stuck with me.

If you are able to make it up, please bring your Eastwood one along. It would be interesting to compare it to the Mastercool hydraulic flaring tool I have. We are in good shape with benders too. We all dislike crappy benders and we loaded up with each size of a high quality bender from Gulley performance.

For fuel lines we have the design pencilled out, Nathan bought a big quantity of fittings from Jegs, we have the flexible line, and will have straight tube to give us options too. My Christmas present to myself a couple years ago was the Cool Tools fitting press so we have that. And we will also have the homemade one Nathan put together for comparison purposes.

This is going to be fun.