The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=463698)

Dan in Pasadena 12-16-2016 12:13 AM

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckDriver (Post 7796986)
Might be easier to move the pedal pad over.??

:uhmk:

A little hard to see in the picture but the conflict is with the main mechanism, not the pedal itself. I WISH we could just cut/move over the pedal arm.

Ebernst, Thanks so much for the compliment. Tomorrow - despite a forecast of heavy rain (in SoCal? CAN'T be! Lol) I'm taking the day off work to rent a trailer and the frame goes to blast/powder an the cab & fenders back to the body shop.

I'm getting excited because after this it starts to be finalized. Chassis will be totally reassembled, brake & fuel lines run, pick wheels & tires, a few items to chrome, exhaust Jet Hot coated, real paint, etc. I'm shooting for totally done by Memorial Day so i can enjoy it all next baseball season - my favorite time of year!

Dan in Pasadena 12-17-2016 12:44 PM

Saturday, December 17, 2016

This is sort of a "note to self" for future reference.

Yesterday was a bit of a bust. Took the day off work to rent a trailer to transport the frame and body to blasting/body shop, there was a communications bust between Mike and Marcos and there wasn't room at the body shop to store the cab inside! Didn'tfind out til i got there with the cab on the trailer. After phone calls, a few trips back and forth, it was decided to put it into a spare stall in one of Mike's friend's shop until Tuesday when Marcos will have the room for it.

Also, the frame wasn't QUITE ready for transport as the temporary cross member prior to the Flat Out IFS crossmember had to be removed, along with some factory brackets no longer used - parking brake, and a couple welds completed because they were inaccessible until the cab was off, etc. ANyway, the truck is fully broken down again, and the build continues.

Merry Christmas and Happiest of Holidays to all my, "Friends I Havent Met Yet" here on the forum. Best to you and yours, Dan

70 mile round trip to rent a special trailer and $75, not exactly for nothing but a lot of wasted time and the frame will be carried by forklift to the blaster as its only 2 blocks away.

Advanced Design 12-17-2016 08:15 PM

Oh ugh....some days are like that. Hopefully next one you have will be way more productive.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

oldman3 12-17-2016 11:53 PM

Dan, Merry Christmas and Happy New Years...Jim

Dan in Pasadena 12-18-2016 01:03 AM

Thanks Doug, Thanks Jim!

Hope you have a wonderful season.

Dan in Pasadena 12-18-2016 02:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Can anyone tell me what brand and model these wheels are:

Rude Dude 12-18-2016 12:57 PM

Hey Dan I tried to send you a pm but it comes back saying you have reach capacity and can no longer receive messages?

ChuckDriver 12-18-2016 07:03 PM

Dan, they look like Billet Specialties Legacy wheels to me.

http://www.billetspecialties.com/whe...series/legacy/

Dan in Pasadena 12-18-2016 10:49 PM

Thanks JJ!

I'm just starting to seriously shop wheels and I already know Billet Specialties are pricey.

Dan in Pasadena 12-18-2016 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rude Dude (Post 7798934)
Hey Dan I tried to send you a pm but it comes back saying you have reach capacity and can no longer receive messages?

Sorry Rudy. I'll got fix that now.

Rude Dude 12-19-2016 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 7799368)
Sorry Rudy. I'll got fix that now.

Sorry Dan, it still not working but here why I am contacting you. I was wondering if you still have your take off steering wheel and any of the column parts meaning the turn signal cup and bearing. The reason why I am asking is my older brother in Cali just purchased a 55 1st series truck and is missing these items. They are the same for 1954-1956 trucks so if you need to rid yourself of these items send me a PM and I will give him your contact info

Dan in Pasadena 12-19-2016 01:09 PM

Hi Rudy,
I gave the column to a guy I ran into at The Car & Truck Shop but I'll be happy to give the steering wheel to your brother.

I TRIED clearing my PM's last night and it would let me select a number of them and assign "delete" to them but I couldn't figure out how to make them actually delete. Must be a case of "lame old guy" disease, lol.

ptc 12-19-2016 03:07 PM

Those look like the old Halibrand Champ wheels.

http://www.roadsters.com/hal-sp-mt.jpg

Im sure somebody makes a knock-off alum wheel...

Dan in Pasadena 12-19-2016 11:42 PM

To me the Champ wheels remind me of what American Racing sells as "Salt Flat" wheels. I like them a lot.

ptc 12-21-2016 12:16 PM

Try these guys too. They have a "Dragmaster" wheel that looks like them.

http://www.etmags.com/dragmaster.html

http://www.etmags.com/production_whe...polish_155.jpg

Dan in Pasadena 12-21-2016 02:42 PM

Nice but YIKES on all their prices. They don't even tell you what a 17" costs but if the 15x9's are almost $500 each the 17's have to be more. I've spent too much on the truck already so I'm going to go with something less pricey. Appreciate the link though, I REALLY like all their styles too!

bobinbc 12-27-2016 07:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dan just caught up on your build, love it!

Maybe those wheels are American rebel sprints, one of my fave's but don't think you'll like the price....

http://www.americanrebelmfg.com/sprint click on a wheel for price and specs

bobinbc 12-27-2016 07:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Or they could be these real rodder's wheels

Little pricier but they are available in 16" sizes ( no 17)

Made in USA and available here http://www.realrodderswheels.biz/ALUMINUM.htm

Dan in Pasadena 12-27-2016 01:58 PM

Whew, you guys are ALMOST as good at spending other people's money as I am! lol. But it'll be awhile still so I'm saving my pennies. But If I keep getting "wild hairs" - like the '55 car dash - the pennies get used up quickly.

Hope everyone had a merry and safe Christmas.

I live half a block from the Rose Parade route and it appears Pasadena Police are gearing up to counter possible terrorist strikes. It's traditional here for old cars and trucks to cruise Colorado Boulevard on New Year's Eve day. I wonder if blocking off nearly ALL the side streets with K rail will interfere with it ...or if it will even be allowed this year? If it happens I'll take some pictures and post a thread.

Best to everyone, Dan

Dan in Pasadena 12-29-2016 11:17 PM

Thursday, December 29, 2016

Well, I'll get flamed for this but my on-again off-again decision to install a '55 car dash in my truck is off again. Body man estimated $2500 and two weeks added to the schedule. The stainless trim and car guages, surrounds for both humps adds another $1200-1500.

I decided I just can't keep adding to the project since I've already added the entirely new LS drivetrain, limited slip rearend w/discs, shoulder belt mounts, and a LOT of other stuff. The "slippery slope" is indeed VERY slippery.:waah:

No real complaints though. The truck will be 300% better than I could have probably accomplished by myself. It'll look great to me and if I was going to spend extra it's better I spent it on the drivetrain and safety mods.

nail pounder 12-30-2016 03:19 AM

Your truck is looking sweet Dan. I guess you gotta draw the line somewhere financially, as long as your happy with it. I dig the real rodders wheels, I'm a fan of the old slotted, kidney beans. But I did like those torque thrusts you had, what happened to them?

Nut Case 12-30-2016 05:35 AM

Danny

Would part with dash? If so how many cold packs would it take?

Just let me know

NUT CASE

Kim57 12-30-2016 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 7808876)
Thursday, December 29, 2016

Well, I'll get flamed for this but my on-again off-again decision to install a '55 car dash in my truck is off again. Body man estimated $2500 and two weeks added to the schedule. The stainless trim and car guages, surrounds for both humps adds another $1200-1500.

I decided I just can't keep adding to the project since I've already added the entirely new LS drivetrain, limited slip rearend w/discs, shoulder belt mounts, and a LOT of other stuff. The "slippery slope" is indeed VERY slippery.:waah:

No real complaints though. The truck will be 300% better than I could have probably accomplished by myself. It'll look great to me and if I was going to spend extra it's better I spent it on the drivetrain and safety mods.

Some times the best mod is no mod.
Your truck is going to be real sweet when done.
Kim

Dan in Pasadena 12-30-2016 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nut Case (Post 7809055)
Danny

Would part with dash? If so how many cold packs would it take?

Just let me know

NUT CASE

PM sent.

Dan in Pasadena 12-30-2016 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim57 (Post 7809184)
Some times the best mod is no mod.
Your truck is going to be real sweet when done.
Kim

Thanks for the kind words, Kim. I'm very sure I'll be happy with it and that's all that really matters.

I'd love having the car dash but I thought it over and don't want to regret the money I have into it. I know I won't regret not having the mod because I like the stock dash.

Crossing my fingers & toes that I'll show the truck to you when I see yours at the Brothers Show this summer!:)

ChuckDriver 12-30-2016 12:58 PM

Don't sweat it Dan, truck is going to be awesome either way!!

Dan in Pasadena 12-30-2016 01:06 PM

Ha ha, thanks JJ. I thought you'd be the guy to tell me I'll regret the decision because of the beautiful Impala dash you did and you seemed enthusiastic about the idea.

Thanks for the support. I suppose it's possible I could still do it in years to come if I feel regret. Not likely but who knows?! I'm going to wait on doing some of the polishing I'd intended til later too.

EVERYONE, watch out for drunk drivers out there this weekend and have a safe New Years holiday. I'm thankful for an awful lot of things and the older I get the more thankful I am. It's incredible to have the friendship of a lot of guys who I've never met. That alone ought to make us hopeful in general for times to come. Best, Dan

ChuckDriver 12-30-2016 01:19 PM

Dan, don't get me wrong I think the 55 dash would be a great mod, but ultimately its your call.

If you want me to push you in that direction I will, LOL!!

Happy New Year brother!!

Flysocal 12-30-2016 01:49 PM

I didn't want to be Debbie downer but I thought you were crazy to swap dashboards. The 55+ dashboards are nice just the way they are. It would have been a shame to cut it out. So much time and effort for so little return. But that's just my opinion.

Dan in Pasadena 12-30-2016 02:18 PM

You could have posted it when I wrote about doing it. I like hearing everyone's opinion.

Russell Ashley 12-31-2016 12:50 PM

Dan, I love a 55 dash in a TF, but the original dash looks beautiful too, so it's not a necessity to swap it. Also, considering what it would have cost I doubt that I would have done it if I were in your position. BTW, I am very familiar with that "slippery slope" that you mentioned, although after seeing what you are doing I doubt that I am as far down it as you are, LOL.

Dan in Pasadena 01-01-2017 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Ashley (Post 7810223)
Dan, I love a 55 dash in a TF, but the original dash looks beautiful too, so it's not a necessity to swap it. Also, considering what it would have cost I doubt that I would have done it if I were in your position. BTW, I am very familiar with that "slippery slope" that you mentioned, although after seeing what you are doing I doubt that I am as far down it as you are, LOL.

Thanks for the support, Russ!

Yeah, at times the "slope" has felt like a cliff I fell off:lol:

At the beginning it was easy to say, "let's go with the 8.8 rearend" "Let's put in the shoulder belt mounts" I don't want the AC bolts or bulkhead fittings to show on the firewall" yada, yada, yada. But then the bills start adding up and you start thinking, "Hmmmm...."

I've still gotta get a new gauge cluster, rims & tires, upholstery. There's unfortunately plenty still to do and I'm in a hurry to get her done in time for summer.

Dan in Pasadena 01-24-2017 07:17 PM

January 23, 2017

Stopped by the shop to check on progress of work today. Backstory is the cab had been returned to the bodyshop awhile ago and was wrapped up pending Marcos being able to get back to it; then due to the recent heavy rains. It finally dried up/warmed up today. Marcos re-sprayed the cab interior, particularly the under dash where the AC mount studs had been welded, where the bulkhead holes had been drilled, and the floor due to wear & tear during the mechanical work at Mike's shop. He also re-sprayed the B pillars where the primer was removed during the fab of the shoulder belt mounts.

I'm pretty pleased that the belt mounts look like they've always been there from the facotry. EXACTLY like I wanted them to look.
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...psqq79yjuf.jpg

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...psa9hvtw0r.jpg

The floor was just generally scuffed up and had some black transfer off the guy's work shoes.
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...psicqske72.jpg

I ordered the Holley HP Dominator (or some such name) engine management system that will also control the electronic transmission. Mike is getting me a great deal on it and the Holley serpentine bracket set. He is crediting me back for the factory engine management system that came with the LQ4 and 4l85e.

Marcos will be spraying two paint color samples for me next week. I wanted 2012 Honda San Marino red, but there was also a slightly lighter color the same year call Milano red. In fact, they're SO close in color I'm surprised Honda made them both! Pictures of the samples to come next week.

oldman3 01-24-2017 08:35 PM

Sounds great Dan, ready to see the RED...Jim

ChuckDriver 01-24-2017 09:20 PM

Can't wait to see it in color Dan!!

Kim57 01-24-2017 09:51 PM

Looks real good.
Kim

Dan in Pasadena 01-24-2017 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckDriver (Post 7837158)
Can't wait to see it in color Dan!!

Me too! But the difference between the two colors doesnt look very different on the tiny swatches in the painter's book. Hope i don't regret my choice.

55 Chevy Dave 01-24-2017 10:26 PM

What a great build you have going, Dan! I haven't reviewed your entire thread, but already found some ideas I may incorporate into my build. Thanks for posting! Good luck on the rest of your build. I'm looking forward to more posts!

Dan in Pasadena 01-25-2017 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 55 Chevy Dave (Post 7837267)
What a great build you have going, Dan! I haven't reviewed your entire thread, but already found some ideas I may incorporate into my build. Thanks for posting! Good luck on the rest of your build. I'm looking forward to more posts!

Thanks Dave. Not sure what ideas of mine you're talking about but I'm glad i might have helped in some way.

ptc 01-26-2017 08:30 PM

Dan your truck is really coming along great, I think you are gonna be realllllly happy with the final results as you have dictated so far.... You'll enjoy it!

This is what they say about regret---- and theres a lot of TRUTH to it.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...4b&oe=591CDAA4