The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   53 Surburban "Family Truckster" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=605484)

Advanced Design 06-16-2019 10:17 AM

Re: 53 Surburban "Family Truckster"

Wow, holy crap....I need to get back in the shop!

Lines look good Marc.

youngrodder 06-17-2019 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 8543221)
Wow, holy crap....I need to get back in the shop!

Lines look good Marc.

Thanks Doug...This project will receive a big boost in the coming weeks/months. The plan is to be driving it next spring....There, I have laid down the gauntlet. I will follow up later in week when everything has been finalized..

Marc

youngrodder 06-18-2019 12:37 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Last night I worked on degreasing/power washing the trans and painting the gas tank. The trans cleaned up nicely for round one. I painted the gas tank with truck bedliner. I figured it would help the tank blend in with the frame color. As an added bonus it might quiet down the fuel pump and sound of gas sloshing around with the extra sound deadening that the bedliner coating provides..Once I check the backlash on my rearend gears I can put together the back half of the frame..

youngrodder 06-23-2019 09:24 AM

3 Attachment(s)
And just like that it's gone. I sold my green 48 truck yesterday. I happened just I like I thought it might. Someone would come along an want it more than I did. The truck is not driven as much as it should be with my active family. The boys are in more activities then ever. Over the past few years it also bothered me to have this much money tied up in something. My boys have college before you know it and I planned to take a portion of this sale and put it into each kids college funds. They don't like dads decision today but they will see it differently in a few yrs....

Now for my portion of the proceeds.....I plan to get the suburban on the road by next spring. No more saving for the parts I want. It's an exciting feeling.

Doug I'm laying down the gauntlet......the challenge is on for 2nd place. Next spring...#ontothenextone.

oldman3 06-23-2019 10:42 AM

Marc, your a good Dad thinking of the kids. A beautiful truck, hope the new owners enjoy it. Now that you've thrown down the gauntlet we expect lots of pics:lol::devil: ..Jim

Scott2 06-23-2019 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 8546982)
And just like that it's gone. I sold my green 48 truck yesterday. I happened just I like I thought it might. Someone would come along an want it more than I did. The truck is not driven as much as it should be with my active family. The boys are in more activities then ever. Over the past few years it also bothered me to have this much money tied up in something. My boys have college before you know it and I planned to take a portion of this sale and put it into each kids college funds. They don't like dads decision today but they will see it differently in a few yrs....

Now for my portion of the proceeds.....I plan to get the suburban on the road by next spring. No more saving for the parts I want. It's an exciting feeling.

Doug I'm laying down the gauntlet......the challenge is on for 2nd place. Next spring...#ontothenextone.

Sorry to see it go but that’s the nature of project cars and trucks. I’m excited to see the progress pick up on the suburban!

Nice Nova! Is that yours? More pics and some info would be great!

Doug - seems like we didn’t do near enough at the wire and fire in Jan! Better light a fire under that build!

mongocanfly 06-23-2019 12:16 PM

Sad day Marc...always hard to see all your hard work drive away...but family 1st...

99 to Life 06-23-2019 05:46 PM

its always bitter sweet. but its tuff keeping up with fam, several vehicles etc. Its nice to see where your builds end up. That thing will get noticed all over and you can always say you built it.

youngrodder 06-23-2019 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott2 (Post 8547054)
Sorry to see it go but that’s the nature of project cars and trucks. I’m excited to see the progress pick up on the suburban!

Nice Nova! Is that yours? More pics and some info would be great!

Doug - seems like we didn’t do near enough at the wire and fire in Jan! Better light a fire under that build!

The Chevy II belonged to my buddy that owns the hotrod shop. It was a nasty car, it was features in Hotrod magazine. He sold it a few years back. He then built a 2nd gen Camaro that debuted at SEMA 2 yrs ago.

youngrodder 06-23-2019 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8547028)
Marc, your a good Dad thinking of the kids. A beautiful truck, hope the new owners enjoy it. Now that you've thrown down the gauntlet we expect lots of pics:lol::devil: ..Jim

Thanks Jim. You will see progress. I'm farming some stuff out two work on multiple parts at the same time. I have already placed an order for engine goodies...

Marc

youngrodder 06-30-2019 10:02 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I've been stock piling parts...I ordered a stage 3 came and other various motor parts. I ordered a Holly front drive and intake. I picked up a battery box and Accuair valve mount from eBay. On Saturday I picked up some odds and ends at Lanes. On Sunday I had a few hours of solid progress. I painted the battery box. I welded together the Accuair mount and painted it. I also bent and mounted my last brake line. Get this...I bought a 72" stick of SS brake line. I was able to bend it and it fit exactly.....No cuts. It usually doesn't workout that well...

mongocanfly 06-30-2019 10:28 PM

Looking good,!!....

oldman3 06-30-2019 11:36 PM

Very nice...Jim

knomadd 07-03-2019 07:10 PM

You've done a ton of nice work. I'm just now venturing out into the world of 50's builds, so I HAVE to see this one through.

youngrodder 07-06-2019 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8551148)
Very nice...Jim

Thanks Jim

Quote:

Originally Posted by knomadd (Post 8552635)
You've done a ton of nice work. I'm just now venturing out into the world of 50's builds, so I HAVE to see this one through.

Thanks Duane, Its funny I think its helpful to go thru ones own build so you don't forget how far you come because at times it doesn't seem like I've made much progress....

Marc

youngrodder 07-07-2019 09:23 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I had the day off Friday so my son and I took a lot of parts to the stripper/de-ruster. I took my frame their previously and it came back great. I also started further installing my Accuair setup. Check out these compression fittings. They are great for LS swaps. I didn't feel like flaring my 3/8 SS fuel line so I'm using these fittings. One end (pictured) will screw into the quick disconnect fitting for the fuel regulator. The other end will attach to braided gas line like I used back by the tank. Leaving Thursday for Columbus Goodguys show. It's a great show and a chance to catch up with some guys from this site.

youngrodder 08-08-2019 09:36 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Sooo I have been steadily plugging along. Notable progress to date since my last update:
* Installed my Accuair set up 99% complete
* Torn down my LS1 and built it back up with new internal goodies and a stage 3 cam.
* Took several parts the powdercoater (bumper brackets, seat mount plates). I also had my headers thermo coated. They are in a cool titanium color. I get some pics of those later
* Ordered a boat load of parts. Holley front drive and intake, Vintage Air AC unit, new Digital Dakota gauges and several other odds and ends.

I have many interior parts (seat frames, window moldings) and engine compartment parts at my painter getting body worked.

Yesterday and mobile sandblast unit came out to the house to blast the interior. It turned out great. No real surprises. I also started modifying my dash by removing the lower section that hangs down. I then will fab an lower dash panel to house the AC controls and vents. I did this same modification on my 48. I like how clean the dash looks by removing the lower section.

I need to get my trans rebuilt next week then my drive train other than paint will be in good shape.

The goal now is driving by Spring 2020.

Thanks
Marc

mongocanfly 08-08-2019 09:48 AM

Looks great Marc..where did you get the dash piece for the ac?

oldman3 08-08-2019 10:31 AM

Marc, moving right along, nice job on the clean up of interior, looking forward to more pics and updates...Jim

youngrodder 08-08-2019 10:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8572728)
Looks great Marc..where did you get the dash piece for the ac?

Greg-

The piece I'm holding is what I removed. In the picture attached is the lower dash panel from my 48 truck. I will make one similar for my Suburban.

Thanks
Marc

youngrodder 08-08-2019 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8572747)
Marc, moving right along, nice job on the clean up of interior, looking forward to more pics and updates...Jim

Thanks Jim...Since the 48 sold, I have really been working on this a lot more in hopes of getting it on the road next Spring. The kids laugh because every day there a re new parts on the front step.

Marc

mongocanfly 08-08-2019 11:16 AM

Oh ...ok ...I wasnt paying attention..I see now...

99 to Life 08-12-2019 12:11 PM

thats cool they came out to blast it. what did that run if you don't mind me asking? nice progress.

youngrodder 08-12-2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 to Life (Post 8574886)
thats cool they came out to blast it. what did that run if you don't mind me asking? nice progress.

It wasn't cheap but I didn't trust my body cart to hold up strapped down to a trailer going down the crappy MI roads. I paid $600...More than I wanted to spend but my time saved running it to and from a blaster is worth something as well.

We got most of it in epoxy primer yesterday as well..

Thanks
Marc

99 to Life 08-13-2019 09:44 AM

Yah if you really add up all the time and headache taking the body somewhere, than worrying about it really getting done or stolen (some places keep stuff outside) I think $600 is ok.