The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=212)
-   -   1969 SuperBurb build-up (Bagged and Blown!) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=200387)

Hart_Rod 03-29-2017 09:21 AM

Re: 1969 SuperBurb build-up (Bagged and Blown!)

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7899534)
Looks good Rob. Hopefully you can find the bows.

Thanks Doug. I'll keep looking, but for now I'm just going to paint the ones I have either a similar color to the FRP board or silver. I'm doing a couple of sample tests to see which one I like. Maybe I'll find some nice originals later.

It was a real nice day here yesterday, so while out data-logging I stopped and snapped some more pictures. I really love the way the colors pop out in the sun, :metal:!

CG 03-30-2017 10:54 PM

So now that's you are on the road do you regret the detours along the way?

Hart_Rod 03-31-2017 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CG (Post 7901783)
So now that's you are on the road do you regret the detours along the way?

Well...it's not totally done, :lol:. I still have a lot of small things to do. There is a lot of satisfaction in seeing a project through, however I wish it hadn't taken so long. And, there are a few things I would have done differently, but I suppose every project is like that.

WH0DAMAN 04-06-2017 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 7902073)
Well...it's not totally done, :lol:. I still have a lot of small things to do. There is a lot of satisfaction in seeing a project through, however I wish it hadn't taken so long. And, there are a few things I would have done differently, but I suppose every project is like that.

It looks fantastic!!!! Bravo. Your build keeps me motivated!

The problem with taking soooo long to finish a vehicle is you have way too much time to think about changes. I unfortunately listened to the voices in my head when my vehicle was out of production and am now making all those changes. It will take a little bit longer but it will be just that much better!!!!

Hart_Rod 04-06-2017 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WH0DAMAN (Post 7908093)
It looks fantastic!!!! Bravo. Your build keeps me motivated!

The problem with taking soooo long to finish a vehicle is you have way too much time to think about changes. I unfortunately listened to the voices in my head when my vehicle was out of production and am now making all those changes. It will take a little bit longer but it will be just that much better!!!!

Thanks! Can't wait to see yours finished, :sexy:!

Hart_Rod 04-14-2017 11:16 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Still working on the interior. All seatbelts are installed, finishing up carpet, hidden gas lid pull, and wiring the heated seats, :).

NPilot1975 04-14-2017 03:53 PM

Looks great!
Posted via Mobile Device

C10_ustacould 04-14-2017 04:07 PM

Time for a road trip to Niceville, you know to wring it out. ;)

Hart_Rod 04-15-2017 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NPilot1975 (Post 7915734)
Looks great!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by C10_ustacould (Post 7915748)
Time for a road trip to Niceville, you know to wring it out. ;)

Getting closer....:D

CG 04-15-2017 02:08 PM

Heated seats in Florida???

drewskiren 04-16-2017 08:42 PM

Rob!

It's looking absolutely fantastic! Your's was one of the Projects I read over and over again when I was contemplating my Young Frankenstein Crew Cab build, I kept thinking - ok all these guys are just tearing into these truck and doing custom sheet metal work and EVERYTHING else - I can do this. Congrats on seeing it through. I know how life can get in the way - didn't let it happen on Young Frankie, but it is definitely happening on my 57 Buick Roadmaster project right now.

Anyway, just wanted to say how awesome it is looking.

I'm also curious, what would you have done differently?

Drew Renshaw

sbrban 04-17-2017 11:30 PM

This is really looking good....I'm excited to see it finished!

Hart_Rod 04-18-2017 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CG (Post 7916577)
Heated seats in Florida???

Believe it or not, :lol:. I have lower back problems, so it's more like a "heating pad", :D.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbrban (Post 7918735)
This is really looking good....I'm excited to see it finished!

Thanks, I appreciatiate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewskiren (Post 7917634)
Rob!

It's looking absolutely fantastic! Your's was one of the Projects I read over and over again when I was contemplating my Young Frankenstein Crew Cab build, I kept thinking - ok all these guys are just tearing into these truck and doing custom sheet metal work and EVERYTHING else - I can do this. Congrats on seeing it through. I know how life can get in the way - didn't let it happen on Young Frankie, but it is definitely happening on my 57 Buick Roadmaster project right now.

Anyway, just wanted to say how awesome it is looking.

I'm also curious, what would you have done differently?

Drew Renshaw

Thanks Drew, your truck has always been one of my favorites. As far as "different", I wouldn't change the overall theme of the Burb as I still love the way it looks and I think I've come close to accomplishing my original goal of building a Super Cheyenne Suburban that Chevrolet "could of" built. Sometimes I think I could have already been done if I wouldn't have messed with the taillights and tailgate or not been so particular on making everything look so authentic. I love how they turned out but they presented some big obstacles time and money wise and I'm still working through a few issues to get them to look and operate like I feel they should. And there are several things that have cost a considerable amount money that most people will consider small details or won't even notice. But, I think most of these feelings come from having taken so long to finish it up. Other than that, there have been so many advances in the number and quality of the types of parts that you can get now, especially for the LS swaps. When I started this, a 5.3/4L60 was the motor to have! While my setup will provide more than adequate power to do everything I want to do, I sometimes look at the new LSA's/LT4 connect and cruise setups and want to back up and install one of them! :lol:. But then I come to my senses and realize how foolish that would be. Anyway, my apologies for the long winded answer and thanks for your support! :metal:

Dieselwrencher 04-18-2017 04:19 PM

Very nice! What brand are those seat belts?

Hart_Rod 04-18-2017 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 7919235)
Very nice! What brand are those seat belts?

Thanks, I got all 8 of them from boad vendor MCBMatt.

3drburb 04-19-2017 02:59 PM

This looks great. Congratulations on getting it back on the road.
I would bet this build has inspired a lot of other builds trucks and Burbs.
You are going to need another project once this one is done. Lol

HO455 04-19-2017 11:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 7899904)
Thanks Doug. I'll keep looking, but for now I'm just going to paint the ones I have either a similar color to the FRP board or silver. I'm doing a couple of sample tests to see which one I like. Maybe I'll find some nice originals later.

It was a real nice day here yesterday, so while out data-logging I stopped and snapped some more pictures. I really love the way the colors pop out in the sun, :metal:!

Every time I look at this picture I can't get over how your layout of the color has made such an impact on how the body looks. I would almost swear you have a bunch of hidden body modifications.
Kudos on an excellent job!
:clap::clap::clap:

HO455 04-19-2017 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 7794098)
I got the 3rd brake light/cargo light mounted! Just like the factory did it :D.

I somehow lost track of how you got the wires to the cargo light. Or is it still a problem looking for a solution?
Thanks

Hart_Rod 04-20-2017 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3drburb (Post 7920101)
This looks great. Congratulations on getting it back on the road.
I would bet this build has inspired a lot of other builds trucks and Burbs.
You are going to need another project once this one is done. Lol

Thanks 3drburb, I appreciate it. When this one is done, I think I'm done with projects for a little while.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 7920554)
Every time I look at this picture I can't get over how your layout of the color has made such an impact on how the body looks. I would almost swear you have a bunch of hidden body modifications.
Kudos on an excellent job!
:clap::clap::clap:

Thanks HO455, I am pleased on how the colors came out. I'm excited to see how it looks with the trim on it, as that's where the rubber will meet the road....:lol:.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 7920583)
I somehow lost track of how you got the wires to the cargo light. Or is it still a problem looking for a solution?
Thanks

I have an idea, but I'm waiting on someone to confirm that you can get a wire up through the bolt in the corner to the top of the headliner. I don't mind redrilling the hole I welded up, as long as I know it will allow me to run my wires correctly.

5150 04-21-2017 12:16 PM

I better see this thing in July at the Southeastern ALL Chevy/GMC Truck Nationals!!

Hart_Rod 04-21-2017 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5150 (Post 7921801)
I better see this thing in July at the Southeastern ALL Chevy/GMC Truck Nationals!!

You will. Just not sure what year....

WannaBe68 04-21-2017 06:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Headliner turned out great! I'm almost to the point I need to get on this in my Sub. Did you need to use a heat gun, or something, to get the plastic to stay curved at the sides?
And was there a certain order putting them in that made things easier? One more! - looking at the plastic now, how would you rate the "look" of it?

HO455 04-21-2017 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 7920772)
I have an idea, but I'm waiting on someone to confirm that you can get a wire up through the bolt in the corner to the top of the headliner. I don't mind redrilling the hole I welded up, as long as I know it will allow me to run my wires correctly.

I will try to remember on Monday to check and see if it is possible.

5150 04-22-2017 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 7921902)
You will. Just not sure what year....

:lol::lol::lol: Well, I hope it's 2017!

Street Smart 04-22-2017 08:46 AM

Headliner looks great !!! Let us know if the re-pop ribs work out.

Hart_Rod 04-22-2017 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Street Smart (Post 7922416)
Headliner looks great !!! Let us know if the re-pop ribs work out.

Thanks, most definitely will!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5150 (Post 7922325)
:lol::lol::lol: Well, I hope it's 2017!

I do too, but with everything lately seeming to take twice as long, no guarantees...:lol:.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 7922133)

I would really appreciate it. I would really like to get that crossed off of my list, :thumbs:.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaBe68 (Post 7922021)
Headliner turned out great! I'm almost to the point I need to get on this in my Sub. Did you need to use a heat gun, or something, to get the plastic to stay curved at the sides?
And was there a certain order putting them in that made things easier? One more! - looking at the plastic now, how would you rate the "look" of it?

Thanks, I've been meaning to write this for a while but just haven't taken the time to sit down and do it. You don't need a heat gun, but if you think you need a little contouring in the front corners, just use a hair dryer just be careful and don't over do it. You mainly need a little patience and a extra hand if you have one, :).

I installed them in this order, rear panel, front panel and then the two smaller panels (your choice on which one first). The front panel was the hardest and you really need help to work it in because of the compound curve in each corner. You really need help on this one because you will be "slapping" the panel forward and you need someone to help guide it into the 1/2" metal channel that the edges of each roof board goes in. That's why I did the rear panel first as it easier to install. You have to "slap" it to get it to move also, but not having the curve makes it little easier and it gives you some practice at it.

So the way I began installing each panel was to put one side into the 1/2" channel (L or R, doesn't matter). Then, I would let it sag in the middle, which allowed me to put the other side in the channel. The FRP is flexible enough to do this, just be careful. Once both side are seated in the channel, then you can push up on the middle until it fits the contour of the roof. If your panel is trimmed correctly, the tension created by the bow of the roof should hold it up and there should be no ripples in it. I cut my panels a little wide (1/8") to make sure I had plenty of material. Plus, it's always easier to cut more off than to add it back, :D. It took me several removal/installations and trimmings to get each panel to fit the way I wanted them to. Once you are happy with the fit, then you can start "slapping" it to slide it in the rear groove (front and back panel only). Be careful, because if you slap to hard, you can actually crack the FRP, which is a $35 mistake (don't ask how I know...:(). You can then fit the two center panels such that when you push up in the middle they are in place.

Bottom line, if you take your time (I played around with mine for a week or two), you can get a really nice finished product. Maybe not factory, but pretty close AND I think it will last longer as these panels are waterproof and should not warp. One more tip, If you take a marker and color the brackets where the screws go to hold the center of each panel up, you can gently rub the panel after you have fitted it in order to mark where your screw hole should go.

Also, if you don't have your original headliner boards to use for templates, there are some good diagrams and info in this thread that will get you started:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...install&page=2

kvn1011 04-22-2017 10:23 AM

Im just here to say that it still looks awesome!!
:metal:

WannaBe68 04-22-2017 08:34 PM

Rob,
Thanks for the great write-up, Man! I copied and pasted that into my headliner file so I can study it later. Looking forward to any thing else you might you remember!

Hart_Rod 04-23-2017 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kvn1011 (Post 7922460)
Im just here to say that it still looks awesome!!

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaBe68 (Post 7922905)
Rob,
Thanks for the great write-up, Man! I copied and pasted that into my headliner file so I can study it later. Looking forward to any thing else you might you remember!

No problem. Are you using Portheadlights diagrams?

On a side note, since I changed the door panels to 72, I had to change all the door mechanisms to the longer 72 pivot arm. This was fairly simple everywhere expect for the rear door window regulators. You can't purchase them aftermarket as no one makes them, and I gave up finding a good set of used ones. I happened to have a good set of 72 front door regulators, so I disassembled them and removed the longer 72 pivot arm. I then disassembled my original 67-71 rear door regulators, regreased everything and swapped out the pivot arm and put everything back together. Waaalaaahhh, it worked like a charm! As soon as I get my new window seals and door felt in, I'll be able to wrap up the rear window install, :metal:.

WannaBe68 04-23-2017 01:35 PM

[QUOTE=Hart_Rod;7923426

No problem. Are you using Portheadlights diagrams?

[/QUOTE]

I do have those handwritten diagrams with measurements, but I was able to recently pick up a set of complete original headliners that I'm planning to use as templates. They are not quite good enough to salvage and use, but complete enough to use as templates.

How are you liking the "look" of the plastic you used? I haven't settled 100% on a material yet, but that plastic looks pretty good, at least in pictures.

Hart_Rod 04-23-2017 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaBe68 (Post 7923486)
I do have those handwritten diagrams with measurements, but I was able to recently pick up a set of complete original headliners that I'm planning to use as templates. They are not quite good enough to salvage and use, but complete enough to use as templates.

How are you liking the "look" of the plastic you used? I haven't settled 100% on a material yet, but that plastic looks pretty good, at least in pictures.

Personally, I think it looks really good. No perforated holes to collect dust and it's easy to clean, :lol:. I'm glad I went with the satin looking FRP and not the glossy style. I think the glossy panels would have been too much. I think these panels are paintable, so that's always an option if you don't like the look as is.

HO455 04-24-2017 07:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 7922133)

I looked into getting into the header void (?) to no avail. Using a piece of 14 guage soild conductor wire I could get from the bolt out, but not into the void, and I couldn't get from the void through the hinge bolt holes or the hinge cutouts. The green arrow shows where I got through and the red ones where I couldn't.

Hart_Rod 04-25-2017 09:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 7924734)
I looked into getting into the header void (?) to no avail. Using a piece of 14 guage soild conductor wire I could get from the bolt out, but not into the void, and I couldn't get from the void through the hinge bolt holes or the hinge cutouts. The green arrow shows where I got through and the red ones where I couldn't.

I'm confused. On the bottom portion of the picture there is a green and red arrow going through the bolt hole. Where you able to get to the top of the headliner there? If so, that's what I was trying to accomplish!

HO455 04-26-2017 12:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry for not being clear. Turning the photo may help. I put the test wire into the bolt hole and got it to come out under the headliner. (Next to those stupid crimp clamp connectors the PO used for trailer lights). That would be the green arrow.
I thought you wanted to get past the weld seam into the void area where the hinge bolts on. That is what all the red arrows were about.

Hart_Rod 04-26-2017 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 7926324)
Sorry for not being clear. Turning the photo may help. I put the test wire into the bolt hole and got it to come out under the headliner. (Next to those stupid crimp clamp connectors the PO used for trailer lights). That would be the green arrow.
I thought you wanted to get past the weld seam into the void area where the hinge bolts on. That is what all the red arrows were about.

No that's exactly what I need to know! I'm going to shift the wire for my light closer to the corner of the hatch and then redrill the hole to run up to the headliner. I picked up some spiral wire, so hopefully this won't look to bad. Thanks for checking into this!

5150 05-06-2017 08:15 PM

Thought I'd share a pic of Rob's burb from the Battle in Bama show today. I believe it was its maiden voyage. See you in July at the Southeastern ALL Chevy/GMC Truck Nationals, Rob ;)

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps7e34f1zl.jpg

Palf70Step 05-06-2017 09:20 PM

Wish I could have made it over there.

likaroc13 05-06-2017 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5150 (Post 7935957)
Thought I'd share a pic of Rob's burb from the Battle in Bama show today. I believe it was its maiden voyage. See you in July at the Southeastern ALL Chevy/GMC Truck Nationals, Rob ;)

Would be nice to see it there. Looks awesome, Rob!

ajgriffin 05-07-2017 04:38 AM

Worth every penny! :metal:

Bennett68C10 05-08-2017 08:35 AM

Congrats on the maiden voyage Rob, the Burb looks awesome.