The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368988)

ravens65 03-23-2010 06:44 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

Dont stop yet, you have the hard part almost done. what do you have in mind for the chev?

DWright 03-23-2010 09:07 PM

4 Attachment(s)
removed rear springs, made some bag brackets for rear control arms, and finished painting my new valve covers.

protrash64 03-23-2010 09:57 PM

Hey DW, why did you put a spacer on the bottom of the airspring?

DWright 03-23-2010 10:26 PM

i dont have any kind of notch yet and wanted the frame to hit the axle bumper at about the time the bag is aired out. I'll make new lowers once i have time and money to do a notch. maybe even a behind-the-axle bag mount...

sams60gmc 03-23-2010 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 60apache (Post 3875958)
bought a cam picked up block and pistons from machine shop, bought some heads, finished front end, got wheels and tires in.

thats soooo sick

onequickchevy 03-24-2010 02:41 PM

Finally have gotten around to putting on the new heads. Haven't cranked it yet, but it should be good.
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/k.../63heads-4.jpg

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/k...ck/63heads.jpg

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/k.../63heads-3.jpg

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/k.../63heads-1.jpg

lakeroadster 03-24-2010 05:08 PM

5 Attachment(s)
After I shoveled the snow off the driveway :hh: I was able to spend a little time in the shop working on the grille. Cut the stainless tubes to length, made the center bracket, and mocked the parts together for a sneek peak of how it will look.

Now I need to tap the tubing o.d. to put it in tension to keep everything tight....

markeb01 03-24-2010 06:20 PM

That looks great. So how are the tubes going to be retained, with screws threaded into each end? Just curious.

lakeroadster 03-24-2010 06:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
At this point I think one end will have a flat washer welded to the tube, the other end will have the o.d. of the 3/16" tube die cut for 10-32 theads. Then they can be tightened from one end. That's the plan anyway....

I want to keep each tube separate, thus allowing removal and replacement in the event I hit a jack rabbit..........

Long story but I hit a Jack Rabbit about 3 years ago... did $1500 worth of damage. Damn thing bounded across the road, jumped up and went through the grille and into the radiator..... freakin' thing was the size of a beagle! Blood, guts and rabbit fur all over the front end and the windshield.

From now on you can just call me Elmer :drama:

SCOTI 03-24-2010 07:48 PM

Lakeroadster, very nice work on the grille. Clean, simple, & custom!

Bugeyev8 03-24-2010 11:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got the rear end back together after new c clips and wheel cylinders, removed all the crappy old wood and strips from my bed and pressure washed years and years of dirt and gunk from the frame, tomorrows plan to clean and prep the thing for the new wood and get the RH bed side swapped out !!

HOGDADDY 03-24-2010 11:53 PM

I rebuilt the heater box new core new seal de-rusted the doors and painted em, got it back together and only need a plastic piece that broke on outer door luckily Classic parts has em in stock so I ordered one.

I also cleaned inside/out all the ac/heat ductwork

reglued the upper original dash mat that always fall down on ends with some 3M spray trim adhesive and after it tacks up good and pressing in together it is really attached good now.

Ordered blue carpet and oem style underlayment. Only really need front section back is in good shape still.

Still need new oem style seat cover, redo headliner, paint nos black door panels blue and nos grey dash pad needs blue paint.
Need finish up wiring harness paint nos fenders, paint (used) doors and install nos weatherstripping, assemble front end, get new windshield and either get a lock for rear slider or get new back glass.

Whew sounds like a lot. I still need install Eddy heads and Lunati retro roller but thats gotta wait I need a truck asap.

SCOTI 03-25-2010 12:10 AM

I painted some wheels. Just as I was putting the 2nd coat on one of the rear wheels, the rattle can tip clogged & blew out a slug of paint. I had to stop for the night & will now have to sand out the resulting runs (plural!) before moving on.

GruntMoanCough 03-25-2010 12:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, the snow's all but gone, so I thought I would wake up the old girl. Been sittin' about 8 years on a sand bar out back.
Put on wheels and tires with air in them, freed up the brakes and dragged her out, ready to trailer to the shop.

Mr Pops 03-25-2010 12:54 AM

Went and got a load of water for the acreage with the 1990 Crewcab, then I swapped out the drivers side seat belt from a parts truck for my crewcab, then I drove into town on E with a full gerry can in the box just to see how far the gas gauge would go down before running out. It got to reading 1/8 tank when I sloshed the gas turning a corner when it started sputtering. Anyway I put 66 liters in a 70 liter tank after that. I guess 4 liters don't do much good when they're spread out over a 6 foot long saddle tank..

After that, my wife called me to come see why our 02 Suburban was making a grinding noise which also made the steering wheel vibrate when she turned into a parking stall at Superstore. I told her not to drive it and that I was on my way to look at it. When I got there, I found a huge glacier formation behind the drivers side tire which was rubbing the tire on the solid ice and was strong enough to prevent it from turning very far. Then I fixed it and stubbed my toe.

Mr Pops 03-25-2010 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakeroadster (Post 3879784)
freakin' thing was the size of a beagle!
:

I believe you! I saw something run (hop) out from between two parked cars a few years back, I didn't have anywhere to swerve on a narrow street and ran it over. It felt like I had ran over someones dog! So I turned around to check on it and saw that it was half a rabbit that was half alive.. Anyway, I did him a favor after that..:waah: It may have involved a 235/75/15..:exit:

ravens65 03-27-2010 12:28 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well.... last coat of bondo on the wheel tubs that I made, who am I kidding prob. needs another coat! Some of the holes on the lower flange don't line up - thats typical when you modify everything. I'll relocate them and hopefully they will be in primer soon. these were 67-71 fleetside inners that I sectioned 4" out of and bolted to a stepside. I love how they look stock- yet 20" of space allows 17"-18" wide meats on the back also installed my kenwood in the dash and all the gauge lights have been converted to blue lights to match the color of the stereo lights. It really looks cool at night. more later......

SCOTI 03-27-2010 01:32 PM

Got my tires mounted on the freshly painted wheels. Not show worthy, but nice enough....

aerotruk63 03-28-2010 09:18 AM

Started the swap converting 17.5" X 5.25" original stock wheels to 17" x 6.5" wheels using original center to a new ring. 17" offers more tire variety. Their for the K10.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_jlNKkl-rSbc/S6...0/DCP00954.JPG

shortbed70 03-28-2010 11:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Painted my frame and now need to put wheels and bags on.

FRENCHBLUE72 03-28-2010 04:02 PM

Looks good sam keep up the great work.....

Malibob 03-28-2010 06:13 PM

I just finished hanging my door. What great fun!
I also put a new radiator in too. Cant get the 1 1/2" rad. hose onto the rad. though. WTF, it is always something.

64GMCHorsepower 03-28-2010 06:35 PM

I welded up my rollpan.......Just have to sand it down and fill it in to make it look nice.....

Also vinyl covered my side kickpanels and installed my front speakers and my stereo deck.....

Rusteeze64GB 03-28-2010 09:02 PM

5 Attachment(s)
So I have not posted in awhile but managed to get some work done to the truck yesterday and wanted to show the progress. Here ya go. The funny thing about it all was at the end ofthe day I took the truck around the corner and a hose clap from the transmission line came loose and I lost almost all of my tranny fluid while pulling in the drive way. Perfect ending to the perfect day! :) :no::banghead::

steveb64 03-28-2010 09:29 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Backed it out of the garage for the 1st time this year after installing 4" drop springs in back and about 4" inches in front with drop springs and spindles.