The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   53 Surburban "Family Truckster" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=605484)

lower50's 10-26-2021 11:37 PM

Re: 53 Surburban "Family Truckster"

Looks like you and the fam are having a great time in the Truckster. Put all that time and effort into a build there is no better way to enjoy it. Your cup holders look great.

youngrodder 10-27-2021 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 8988757)
Looks like you and the fam are having a great time in the Truckster. Put all that time and effort into a build there is no better way to enjoy it. Your cup holders look great.

Thanks man we have been...Yeah, I also took it to a tuner just before I put it up for the season to do a proper dyno tune. He picked up 49 hp and 33 ft lbs of torque. He also messed with the fuel curves so I should get better gas mileage to boot.

He will post a video on YouTube of the tune. I'll try to post a link for those who might be interested.

The driving experience should be even more enjoyable next season.

Marc

mongocanfly 10-27-2021 10:30 PM

I'd love to see it on the dyno..

oldman3 10-27-2021 11:33 PM

Ready to hear it roar...Jim

lower50's 10-27-2021 11:59 PM

Waiting!! LOL

6DoF 10-28-2021 07:38 AM

yes plz!

https://c.tenor.com/rec5dlPBK2cAAAAd...an-waiting.gif

youngrodder 10-28-2021 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8989102)
Ready to hear it roar...Jim

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 8989110)
Waiting!! LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6DoF (Post 8989153)

The tuner has quite a backlog of videos (he warned me). He tunes several cars a week not all of which are probably video worthy. I think it should show up soon as the Truckers was tuned a couple of weeks ago.

Trust me I'm as curious as you all to see it and hear it. I left town that weekend so I left the Truckster with him and I never saw it on the dyno myself.

Thanks
Marc

6DoF 10-28-2021 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 8989162)
so I left the Truckster with him and I never saw it on the dyno myself.

Thanks
Marc

:jdp:

who does that!?!? i'd miss my own wedding before not seeing my truck run on the dyno!!

(don't tell my wife)

youngrodder 10-28-2021 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6DoF (Post 8989200)

who does that!?!? i'd miss my own wedding before not seeing my truck run on the dyno!!

(don't tell my wife)

Well for one. This guy does not let anyone in the Dyno room during a tune. I'm guessing it has to do with insurance. Also I have known this guy for a bit so I trusted him. He also texted me updates after each pull which was nice. His tune confirmed my thoughts that the motor had more but it needed to be tuned better. The drivability was always good I just thought it should have more low end power.

With that said, I am looking forward to seeing and hearing the video. He had a lot of people that came into his shop digging on the Truckster. One guy asked how much??? Ha ha

Marc

mongocanfly 10-28-2021 01:22 PM

When they dynoed mine they wouldnt let you in there either..it was for safety..blown engine, or driveshaft failures could be bad..
But I did stand in another room where I could see..he twisted it outta the frame from the sound of it..
But it gained a bunch of hp and tq

lower50's 11-01-2021 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6DoF (Post 8989200)

(don't tell my wife)

LMFAO
But ya I would too, the funny part is she would be there with me.

lower50's 11-01-2021 03:56 PM

SOOOOOOO how much $$$$? Asking for a friend ;)

youngrodder 11-05-2021 10:31 AM

5 Attachment(s)
One of the winter project is a proper stereo system. In an effort to keep most of it hidden, I will just be using a JL Audio Bluetooth player hidden out of sight.

The stereo in my 48 was a disappointment. This time around I sought out the help from Rick of Provost Motorsports to recommend some components for my system. I met him at the stereo completion at Dino's Get Down last year.

My system will consist of the following:
(4) JL Audio 6.5" speakers
(1) JL Audio shallow mount 10" subwoofer
(1) JL Audio 5 channel 900w amp
(1) JL Audio Bluetooth controller

2 - 6.5" speakers will be in the kick panels in custom kick panels that I will build out of fiberglass and MDF.

2 - 6.5" speakers will be located on the side in the middle (by the 2nd row seat). I had to clearance the metal to sink the magnet into. I will modify my upholstery panels to accept the speakers.

The Sub will be mounted under the 2nd row seat (out of sight) in a box I made to JL Audio specs.

The amp and Bluetooth controller will be mounted on the front side of the notch cover tucked in between the cover and the back of the 2nd row seat.

Here is my progress so far.

Thanks
Marc

lower50's 11-05-2021 08:03 PM

That will be a nice setup! I'm a fan of JL speakers. As I'm getting older I like a good sounding stereo better than all out bass.

oldman3 11-06-2021 12:11 AM

Should be a good sounding system...Jim

youngrodder 11-08-2021 09:03 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 8992385)
That will be a nice setup! I'm a fan of JL speakers. As I'm getting older I like a good sounding stereo better than all out bass.

Thanks I like good sounding tunes more than base too. The sub is to just compliment the system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8992516)
Should be a good sounding system...Jim

I hope..fingers crossed.

I worked on creating the kick panel speaker pods. I kicked around several ideas. In my 48 I built them out of fiberglass. This time around I wanted to go for cleaner lines and less mini truck stereo feel.

I will round the edges more but this will give an idea of the direction I'm headed. I still need to decide how I want to mount the speakers but I have some ideas. These speaker pods will be covered in the chocolate brown leather. I got both sides made but didn't take pics of the driver side.

The sub box just needs the large hole cut but this will be its resting place. I will cover with the same gray carpet as the floor.

Thanks
Marc

lower50's 11-08-2021 11:56 AM

That's a really cool spot for the front speakers. I take it there is a back to the front boxes? How are you planning on mounting the boxes?

youngrodder 11-08-2021 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 8993307)
That's a really cool spot for the front speakers. I take it there is a back to the front boxes? How are you planning on mounting the boxes?

Thanks man. There is no backs yet. I think I will create a back out of fiberglass. Then I would secure the boxes to the sides of the cab with small screws accessed thru the speaker holes. That is what I did on the last speaker pods I made.

More on the backs, I will post some pics when I get that far. I will basically stretch some fleece pulled tight and stapled across the back side of the boxes. I I then will cover the fleece with resin and fiberglass. I hope that makes sense.

Marc

lower50's 11-10-2021 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 8993325)
More on the backs, I will post some pics when I get that far. I will basically stretch some fleece pulled tight and stapled across the back side of the boxes. I I then will cover the fleece with resin and fiberglass. I hope that makes sense.

Marc

Thanks Marc Ya I have done that method a long time ago.

youngrodder 11-15-2021 10:57 AM

5 Attachment(s)
More work on the stereo system

I purchased some foam speaker pods that fit nicely in between the outer and inner body panels for the rear speakers. This should help with sound quality.

For the front speaker pods, I permanently mounted the speaker rims into the pods. I bodyworked the small gaps. I then flipped them over and stapled the fleece material to the back that I later covered in resin. I will go back and add fiberglass matt and more resin for strength. This backing serves (2) purposes. 1 - it will help contain the sound. 2 - It will give me a mounting surface to attached the speaker pods to the cab.

The final product will be covered in 1/8" foam and wrapped in the chocolate brown leather.

I also ran the majority of he speaker wires. This was more challenging with all of my carpet in place.

I'm gaining.

Marc

oldman3 11-16-2021 12:33 AM

Nice work...Jim

lower50's 11-16-2021 06:40 AM

Ha I used the exact foam inserts in my black truck, sounded good for only that as the box.

Dieselwrencher 11-16-2021 07:42 AM

Those speaker pods are pretty nice. I need to get some for some of my rides. The radio still isn't hooked up in my Camaro and I've been driving it solid for 2 years.

youngrodder 11-16-2021 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8996348)
Nice work...Jim

Thanks Jim..

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 8996372)
Ha I used the exact foam inserts in my black truck, sounded good for only that as the box.

Good to know. Yeah they were shallow mount (2.6") and fit perfectly in the side wall of the body.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 8996386)
Those speaker pods are pretty nice. I need to get some for some of my rides. The radio still isn't hooked up in my Camaro and I've been driving it solid for 2 years.

Thanks man. I ran a Bluetooth speaker this summer but I want more volume.. ha ha. It will just add to the driving experience.

Thanks
Marc

BIGglaSS 11-16-2021 07:29 PM

Excellent choice in audio equipment! That will sound great when done.

Dieselwrencher 11-17-2021 08:39 AM

Have any of you ran a bluetooth only receiver with no head unit? I as well have just been using a blue tooth speaker in my car. But I've been considering not running a head unit and just a blue tooth receiver and an amp to speakers. I just haven't tried it yet.

youngrodder 11-17-2021 09:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 8996782)
Have any of you ran a Bluetooth only receiver with no head unit? I as well have just been using a blue tooth speaker in my car. But I've been considering not running a head unit and just a blue tooth receiver and an amp to speakers. I just haven't tried it yet.

I have not personally but I have friends that have. That is what I'm doing. I'm using a JL Audio blue tooth controller. I didn't want to have to mount/hide a head unit someone where. I plan to mount it right next to my amp behind the 2nd row seat out of site.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_136911...io-MBT-RX.html

Thanks
Marc

jweb 11-17-2021 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 8996782)
Have any of you ran a bluetooth only receiver with no head unit? I as well have just been using a blue tooth speaker in my car. But I've been considering not running a head unit and just a blue tooth receiver and an amp to speakers. I just haven't tried it yet.

I bought the same JL audio bluetooth receiver that youngrodder shows. The sound quality from my phone to that receiver wasn't good at all.

Now I just have an audio jack to RCA cables, so I can plug my phone directly into the amp. It sounds much better.

It will be interesting to see what result youngrodder has with his system.

Modges'66 11-26-2021 10:55 PM

Hey Marc!
Nice work so far!!!
I wish that my truck was stored at home during the winter months to tinker with!...I'm jealous.
Which JL amp did you choose? I have the RD900/5 in my C10.
Do you plan to use that JL bluetooth controller directly plugged into your amp?
Is there an app for your phone to control audio signal? or, will you be using a pre-amp or some kind of signal processor to equalize your bass, treble, balance, & fader?
That is the only reason that I decided to use the Rockford Fosgate PMX3... Originally, I didn't want to use a head unit either.

youngrodder 11-28-2021 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 9000202)
Hey Marc!
Nice work so far!!!
I wish that my truck was stored at home during the winter months to tinker with!...I'm jealous.
Which JL amp did you choose? I have the RD900/5 in my C10.
Do you plan to use that JL bluetooth controller directly plugged into your amp?
Is there an app for your phone to control audio signal? or, will you be using a pre-amp or some kind of signal processor to equalize your bass, treble, balance, & fader?
That is the only reason that I decided to use the Rockford Fosgate PMX3... Originally, I didn't want to use a head unit either.

Hey Mike

Yes, it is nice. I had a few days off work last week so I have been out there quite a bit tinkering. I was going to go with the same JL amp you have. I plan to plug in the JL Bluetooth directly to the amp. Haven't thought about a way to equalize the sound. It sounds like these amps are pretty well set up from the factory. More research is needed there.

Thanks
Marc

youngrodder 11-28-2021 09:50 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More progress on the audio install.

All speaker wires and power and ground cables have been routed.

I went to my upholstery guy on Wednesday to buy some glue off him so I could wrap my speaker pods with 1/8" foam and then leather. I like how they turned out. I used glue and 1/2" staples to secure the leather to the back side of the speaker pods.

Here are some pics

youngrodder 11-28-2021 09:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A few more pics

I should point out that no fasteners will be visible once the pods are mounted. The will bolt thru the speaker opening to some nutzirts in the side of the cab.

Marc

6DoF 11-29-2021 09:27 AM

top shelf quality as always sir! that should sound as nice as it looks.

8man 11-29-2021 09:31 AM

Those are great. Nice to see how it's done, thanks.

youngrodder 11-29-2021 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6DoF (Post 9001103)
top shelf quality as always sir! that should sound as nice as it looks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8man (Post 9001105)
Those are great. Nice to see how it's done, thanks.

Thanks guys, hopefully it sounds good.

I like upholstery work. One thing I have learned is there are a bunch or different materials and processes to yield the same results. Most guys just settle in on what works best for them.

Marc

oldman3 11-29-2021 10:38 AM

Nice work Marc, looks great...Jim

lower50's 11-29-2021 11:48 AM

WOW they look like you just extended the kick panel :metal:

6DoF 11-29-2021 12:00 PM

wait ... still no tuner details?

youngrodder 11-29-2021 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6DoF (Post 9001164)
wait ... still no tuner details?

Funny...No. Over the break I received (2) different YouTube updates but they were two different cars he tuned. I might have to check in to see where I am in the que. I hate being that guy tho...

Marc

youngrodder 11-29-2021 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 9001129)
Nice work Marc, looks great...Jim

Thanks Jim

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 9001156)
WOW they look like you just extended the kick panel :metal:

Yeah, that is kind of what I did..I played with a couple different ideas before coming up with this solution. I didn't want to angle the speakers as it eats into the foot well area too much.

Marc