The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=242701)

Dale99 08-08-2013 11:42 AM

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

For blotchy, do as mentioned. But also keep the most constant speed you can.

Agree about the looking under fenders. Missed a spot on my last primer job, DOH!!

hgs_notes 08-08-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6210829)
The trick is, it's a lot like clearing. Turn your air pressure up a bit (you have a gun mounted regulator, right?), turn your fan as big as it'll go, and stay a bit farther off. Your first round should barely cover and be blotchy. Id go 3-4 rounds, and alternate directions between them. go <> then up-down, esp. on the hood. Id go straight, then 45 deg on the sides. Uniformity is important, mind your overlaps. Most importantly, DON"T STOP. It's like clear, if you pause you get a run or blob or sag, if you do it with this, you get a blotch. Even if you know you messed up, don't stop, you can always fix it on the next round. But mostly relax. Keep telling yourself, it's just paint. Not even expensive paint. It's just paint. Relax and enjoy the process. get out the lights and make sure its good before you clear it. It'll be fine.

Thanks again. I have a habit of laying it too heavy so I will be sure to turn the flow down and spread the fan. Maybe this technique will reduce the orange peel I've been getting too. I've found that spraying the clear I have better results with heavy coats and more orange peel if its light, but I risk runs. That doesn't bother me too much on the clear though cause I can cut it down, sand it out and polish it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale99 (Post 6210831)
For blotchy, do as mentioned. But also keep the most constant speed you can.

Agree about the looking under fenders. Missed a spot on my last primer job, DOH!!

I hear ya. I noticed that when I was spraying primer and getting the bottom edge of the rockers, bed sides and fenders. Was always lighter there. But it's easier to get those on the Jimmy cause its a bit higher than my C-10, where I had the hose rubbing the floor as I moved along.

I took vacation for tomorrow, so I have from tonight until next Monday to mess with it. Then I have to leave for Omaha for work on Tuesday. Time to do more cleaning and taping.

hgs_notes 08-08-2013 05:48 PM

For Bomp...

hgs_notes 08-08-2013 05:51 PM

And 1 for me, most songs hook you with a guitar riff, this one hooked me with the drums....

Low Elco 08-08-2013 08:45 PM

Let 'er rip, Tater Chip!
Posted via Mobile Device

hgs_notes 08-09-2013 10:59 AM

Might not be getting sprayed this weekend now. Their dad is going to use the booth this weekend and they said I might be able to get it in next week, during the day if they don't have to use it. Dammit!

Bomp 08-09-2013 11:03 AM

Sorry to hear about the set back.
Killer vids though man!
Gotta look on the bright side, More time to look for another project.

hgs_notes 08-09-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6212326)
Gotta look on the bright side, More time to look for another project.

Riiiiiight. Another project.

Like this one?
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...s/DSC01101.jpg

With a bed like this maybe...
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...psb150e93b.jpg

Dale99 08-09-2013 01:10 PM

I was thinking time to check again to make sure all the body work is done.

hgs_notes 08-09-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale99 (Post 6212491)
I was thinking time to check again to make sure all the body work is done.

Man, that's just mean. :lol:

Dale99 08-09-2013 05:37 PM

no, its just easy to forget stuff when your on a project that long

Dieselwrencher 08-09-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale99 (Post 6212861)

He's moving faster than 90% of the people on this board. :lol:

hgs_notes 08-09-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale99 (Post 6212861)

I knew what you meant, but it was a good set up for me. And I can't remember what I did with the drive arm for the wipers. Sheesh. I've been over this thing so many times that the flaws are known and acceptable to me or will be fixed during the spraying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 6212886)

Maybe, but feels like a snails pace to me getting the body and paint done.

Friend from the body shop came by so I could see if I was taping it up right. I wasn't. Had to pull off about half of what I had done because I was too close to the edges. He said to stay away from the edges or it can peel the paint off with the tape in an area that will require a repaint. I looked at how they taped my truck (:dohh: Why the hell didn't I think of that before) and now I know better. Most of that is fixed, just need to correct the driver side door area. He said I should try to cover the underside of the hood too, which is gonna be a bit of a PITA. But overall he said it was ok and gave me tips for the rest of it.

Since I'm not painting I think I'm gonna get in some fishing this weekend. The boat is running good now and I don't have many days before the weather gets uncooperative to be out on the water. I went last weekend just to check out the motor and get some worms wet. I caught about 10 fish, all to small to bother cleaning. My youngest likes to fish and we need some fresh stuff to fry up.

hgs_notes 08-10-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale99 (Post 6205755)
back on post #936 you gave me some hitch info. I finally got that exact hitch. I was wondering if you could get me some pics of how its mounted to your frame, and maybe some hole dimensions referenced from some spot on the frame?

Heres some pics of my hitch and how I installed it. First the side plates are reversed from side to side and 1/2" plates with holes drilled to match where the side plates bolt to the cross piece are used as spacers to get the side to side distance correct.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...psacf68bd6.jpg

The hitch came with some 1/2" thick re-inforcement parts, but I used them as spacers between the hitch and frame, then had other re-inforcement plates to use on the other side of the frame for added strength. The side views of the hitch show it good. I can't remember what holes I had to drill, if any.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...ps12a69b16.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...pscebfd9a6.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...pse71cc121.jpg

This is no way close to how the manufacturer recommends installing this hitch. I used what I had available and did the best I could to make it work. It's a class 3 hitch and I used this same set up (minus the spacers between the frame and hitch) on my C-10 for a few years to pull a 20" Four Winns open bow run about with inboard/outboard. The boat itself weighed over 3000# I think. Never had any issues and my frame rails on the C-10 looked just fine after I removed the hitch.

I have no intention of ever towing something that heavy with the Jimmy, but I wouldn't be scared to if I did. Hope this helps.

hgs_notes 08-10-2013 09:51 AM

As for a Jimmy update, I did more taping.

That is all.

Go about your business.

Dale99 08-10-2013 05:06 PM

Thanks for the pictures. I was out test fitting it about the time you posted them. I now see a few things that I wasnt figuring out when test fitting.

Low Elco 08-12-2013 08:55 AM

Catch any fish?
Posted via Mobile Device

hgs_notes 08-12-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale99 (Post 6214252)
Thanks for the pictures. I was out test fitting it about the time you posted them. I now see a few things that I wasnt figuring out when test fitting.

Glad I could help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6216399)
Catch any fish?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes I did. I got 3 crappies, a large perch and a bullhead. Didn't keep the bullhead. Ick. It was a nice calm day out on the water.

I have almost all the taping done that I can do before I get in the booth. Except for an adjustment to make on the driver door edges anyway. I wiped it all down with wax/grease remover this morning and have some paint prep stuff to use before I spray it that is a milder solvent and flashes off better. I'm heading to Fremont, NE tonight and home late tomorrow. Will figure out when I can get in the booth after that.

jaros44sr 08-12-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 6212886)

How about 99.9% , he!! of alot of progress going on, and quality work to boot. Well done on the work....hope things get better with the wifey, prayers go out

hgs_notes 08-13-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 6216705)
How about 99.9% , he!! of alot of progress going on, and quality work to boot. Well done on the work....hope things get better with the wifey, prayers go out

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words, but I doubt I'm in the top .1% for rate of progress. Whens the start date on this again? ;)

BTW, Looks like you have been taking remedial courses at sensitivity school. (signature)

I stopped by the body shop on my way out of town yesterday and I was told the paint booth is mine tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Working all day here in NE, then a 5 hour drive home tonite, so I won't know for sure til tomorrow morning, but it looks good. I will have both brothers there for support and advice all day too, which helps ease my mind. Worst case is I will have to do some sanding and respray. It's not like I'm going to break anything. :smoke:

I better put in for a day off before I forget.

jaros44sr 08-13-2013 09:58 AM

Yeah, i guess i have to change the siggy, after finding out ive had 4 strokes, kinda made me think i need an attitude adjustment. The whole situation of health, just made me rethink things....im not as tough as i once was:lol:

Progress and build time are differant topics, seems to me your always doing something.

Good luck in the booth, hope it all works out for you

Low Elco 08-13-2013 11:16 AM

WooooooHoooooooo! Time to load up and rock and roll, Boys! Good luck, and send us some in progress shots!
Posted via Mobile Device

71swb4x4 08-13-2013 12:16 PM

Go Mike! I hope it all goes well.

hgs_notes 08-14-2013 09:21 AM

Sorry fellas. Not today. Maybe tomorrow. Probably tomorrow. They got a business to run and yesterday afternoon a customer wanted something done today that they need the booth for. Paying customers take priority.

hgs_notes 08-15-2013 12:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Its time to spray.
Posted via Mobile Device