The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   53 Surburban "Family Truckster" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=605484)

Dieselwrencher 12-01-2021 08:44 AM

Re: 53 Surburban "Family Truckster"

Marc, great work. You are making me want to be working on my 40 Ford and do this to the interior really bad. I need more time and less stuff I guess. :lol:

youngrodder 12-01-2021 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 9001906)
Marc, great work. You are making me want to be working on my 40 Ford and do this to the interior really bad. I need more time and less stuff I guess. :lol:

Thanks Ryan... My sub arrives tomorrow and the amp is back ordered so I will continue to plug along. I'm gaining.

Marc

youngrodder 12-23-2021 04:39 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I have been working on installing lap belts and the sound system.

Stereo
: The 5 channel AMP came in. I had to pull an audible on where I originally intended to mount it. I made a carboard amp to determine the best location to fit it. The goal all along was to make it as hidden as possible. I settled on mounting it to the side wall between the seat and the wall.

I wired the system up and of course I had to do a sound check..ha ha. I must say that I really like the Bluetooth controller. The way I have it wired is as soon as I turn the key the amp and Bluetooth controller power up. The Bluetooth also automatically connects to my phone which is nice. By far this is the nicest sounding system I've had in a classic truck. This will make driving it soooo much more enjoyable.

Seat belts: I started to install the (5) lap belts that I bought. Basically 2 up front. 1 in the middle and 2 for the back. Since the 2nd and 3rd row are modular I wanted the lap belts to be as well. To accomplish this, I chose eyelets and lap belts that clip in. The idea is If I ever run the 3rd seat in the 2nd position I can unclip one lap belt from the rear to use it in the middle position to allow for 2 belts in the middle.

Now for pics

Marc

youngrodder 12-23-2021 04:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Lap belt pics

mongocanfly 12-23-2021 04:56 PM

Man those seats are so nice looking...like the seatbelts idea..

oldman3 12-23-2021 05:48 PM

Marc, great work on amp and belts, always thinking outside the box...Jim

Denee007 12-23-2021 06:11 PM

omg! Beautiful! I love the seats too!!
dne'

8man 12-23-2021 07:04 PM

That thing just gets better and better. It looks awesome! The seat belts are a good idea, but the look is outstanding!

youngrodder 12-23-2021 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 9010312)
Man those seats are so nice looking...like the seatbelts idea..

Thank you, my wife had reminded me more than once that "We don't have seat belts"...ha ha

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 9010331)
Marc, great work on amp and belts, always thinking outside the box...Jim

Thanks Jim. I try...ha ha

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denee007 (Post 9010338)
omg! Beautiful! I love the seats too!!
dne'

Thank you, as nice as they look they are even more comfortable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8man (Post 9010365)
That thing just gets better and better. It looks awesome! The seat belts are a good idea, but the look is outstanding!

Thanks, it has been nice to focus on completing the last 10%. I had too much fun driving it to work on it.

Happy Holidays.....

Marc

Modges'66 12-24-2021 05:43 PM

Hey Marc!
Stellar work on the audio system!
Everything looks great!
I hope that you & the family have a great holiday season!

youngrodder 12-26-2021 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 9010776)
Hey Marc!
Stellar work on the audio system!
Everything looks great!
I hope that you & the family have a great holiday season!

Thanks Mike. The amp has you go thru this setup process to optimize it for peak sound and performance. It was a little confusing at first but I got it figured out. It sounds nice and crisp.

We had a great holiday season. I hope the same for you and yours.

Marc

duramax55 12-26-2021 11:19 PM

youngroder i love your burb it is very well done wondering what kind of carpet is that ?

youngrodder 12-27-2021 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duramax55 (Post 9011502)
youngroder i love your burb it is very well done wondering what kind of carpet is that ?

Thanks man. It's called German Box (or square weave). It commonly used in street rods. It is not the cheapest carpet tho ($120 per yard). For a truck it's not too costly but I had to purchase 5 yrds of the stuff to cover the Suburban.

I used this same carpet only in a different color in my last build. It is very durable.

Here is one source with color swatches. I got mine from my upholstery guy this time.
https://relicate.com/collections/ger...e-weave-carpet

Check eBay too.

Marc

youngrodder 01-13-2022 03:12 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Continuing to pick off items from my (Winter) punch list.

My gas tank had a leak from day 1 when very full. Once I discovered the leak, I didn't fill it full of gas. This thank was from a 67 Camaro and was retro fitted (poorly) for EFI. It was cheap but not really the best solution. The top of the tank was really designed to seal with a lock ring. I attempted to screw my fuel pump and sending unit and as you can see neither one ever sealed properly.

A bonus to dropping the tank was it was much easier to bolt down the (3) seatbelt anchors for the 3rd seat.

I decided on a Tanks Inc. EFI tank for a 67 Camaro. I also purchased new gaskets. I just need to modify the fill neck slightly for my application. The quality of this tank is such an improvement. They even include one of these trick breathers. I already have the same breather so this can be for the next project.

The goal is anything that might be an issue will be updated/upgraded as I would like to stretch my legs further this summer.

With any luck, I will have the new tank all mounted by this weekend.

Thank you
Marc

6DoF 01-13-2022 04:05 PM

what kind of seal did you use on your first attempt?

youngrodder 01-13-2022 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6DoF (Post 9018469)
what kind of seal did you use on your first attempt?

A rubber one. Look closely at the fuel pump flange. It was not flat (where the lock ring and seal goes). I used sheet metal screws and I'm afraid it was not evenly apply down pressure to create a liquid tight seal. The new tank has a flat flange/mounting surface and has treaded holes to bolt the fuel pump and sending units down tight.

I also adjusted my watts link some too while I was add it. I added length to both parallel bars.

Marc

oldman3 01-14-2022 12:35 AM

nice looking tank...Jim

olcarguy 01-15-2022 09:14 PM

Sometimes its hard to get reliable products....Good job on your truck.

youngrodder 01-16-2022 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 9018686)
nice looking tank...Jim

Thank you

Quote:

Originally Posted by olcarguy (Post 9019835)
Sometimes its hard to get reliable products....Good job on your truck.

I was my fault more than the product. I tried to use a thank that was not really intended for EFI. This solution will be much better.

I took it to a fabricator friend yesterday to help me modify the angle of the filler neck. Once I get it back I can get it all reinstalled.

Thanks

Marc

youngrodder 01-17-2022 10:58 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I went over to my friend Zach's that is helping me modify my filler neck on my new tank. Like everything he does he took it over the top. My idea to modify the neck was quick and dirty. Zach's not so much. We cut out the existing filler. He then formed a new piece of metal and cut out the old filler neck in an effort to weld it in more straight up and down to match my previous tank. The tank will be wrapped up this week #nomoreleaks

I also started on the PITA headliner. My headliner will be made out of 1/16" black ABS plastic. I purchased a large roll of chipboard from Home Depot. This thick board used for wood flooring allows me to make templates of each of the headliner sections to use to cut the ABS. I got the rear piece cut, fine tuned and fit after a long fight. I will take pics of the ABS panel in place but this picture shows the chipboard to give you all an idea. 1 section down with 4 to go.

Oh and the bonus pick is a bagged ACME chassis with a Don Hardy LS motor for a customer of Zach's he is building. Its for a FO$% truck. The rear rims are 24' x 15". I'm helping him figure out how much to shorten the rear-end.

Thank you
Marc

oldman3 01-17-2022 11:18 AM

Marc, tank is going to look great with the changes. Nice chassis and engine set-up...Jim

lower50's 01-18-2022 12:39 AM

Very cool seat belt idea!! Does the chip board bend easy? Could it be as a headliner or is it to weak?

Father&son56project 01-18-2022 09:09 AM

That work on the gas tank is rather nice! As for your headliner, I recently went through the same process on my build (Fargolet) using both ABS and hardboard. I used hardboard with vinyl glued to it for most of the interior (including the one piece headliner) and it was a PITA. I got hold of a sheet of 1/8 ABS to do a few remaining pieces as well as a firewall pad and I fell in love with that material. I will always use ABS in the future. You can always glue vinyl to that ABS if you want the headliner to match the rest of that gorgeous interior you have built.

You mentioned getting "a roll of chipboard" to make your templates. Is that the thick cardboard like material that they roll down to protect floors? And if so, how was that stuff like to work with to make templates for those overhead panels?

youngrodder 01-18-2022 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 9020501)
Marc, tank is going to look great with the changes. Nice chassis and engine set-up...Jim

Thank you Jim

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 9020838)
Very cool seat belt idea!! Does the chip board bend easy? Could it be as a headliner or is it to weak?

Much appreciated. Yes it bends pretty easy. You mean for a headliner backer. yes I think you could use it for that. You need to watch the edges as it can crease easily.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Father&son56project (Post 9020903)
That work on the gas tank is rather nice! As for your headliner, I recently went through the same process on my build (Fargolet) using both ABS and hardboard. I used hardboard with vinyl glued to it for most of the interior (including the one piece headliner) and it was a PITA. I got hold of a sheet of 1/8 ABS to do a few remaining pieces as well as a firewall pad and I fell in love with that material. I will always use ABS in the future. You can always glue vinyl to that ABS if you want the headliner to match the rest of that gorgeous interior you have built.

You mentioned getting "a roll of chipboard" to make your templates. Is that the thick cardboard like material that they roll down to protect floors? And if so, how was that stuff like to work with to make templates for those overhead panels?

Thank you. My tank is done. I pick it up tonight (pics to follow) Yes, I too like the ABS. I used it as backers for my door cards and other interior pieces. I paid about $90 per 4 x 8 sheet for 1/8" from Amazon. Free Shipping to. As for coving the ABS, I originally thought about wrapping each ABS section but after this install "NO WAY". Each panel on 3 sides has to slide into a small channel. It is a real challenge to fit the ABS alone into this channel. I would go mental trying any thicker material. I might go back and heat the panels once installed to help them keep their form.

Thanks guys

Marc

youngrodder 01-18-2022 10:15 AM

3 Attachment(s)
The tank is done. Here are a few pics. I will touch up the paint with silver and then install. Here is a picture of 2 of the headliner panels in.

Here is a link for the ram board I used for templating. It was a must for this project.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ram-Boar...202829135-_-N&

Thanks
Marc

oldman3 01-18-2022 11:05 AM

Very nice...Jim

youngrodder 01-19-2022 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 9020957)
Very nice...Jim

Thank you sir. I should be getting my tank back tonight. Looking forward to getting is reinstalled.

Marc

Dieselwrencher 01-19-2022 10:30 AM

That tank mod turned out great! The headliner is very nice too.

youngrodder 01-19-2022 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 9021476)
That tank mod turned out great! The headliner is very nice too.

Thanks man. I had to order another 4' x 8' sheet of ABS to complete the headliner.

Marc

rnrdthefox 01-19-2022 04:49 PM

Very nice work on the tank. Tig?

youngrodder 01-20-2022 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnrdthefox (Post 9021643)
Very nice work on the tank. Tig?

Thanks...I can't take credit. It is my friend Zach's handy work. He is a fabricator for Dutchboy's Hotrods. He did say he used brazing rod to eliminate any air pockets in the welds which might cause leaks.

Marc

Dieselwrencher 01-20-2022 01:49 PM

Has the ABS went up like everything else? I had a dumb idea to try and make a headliner for my 40 Ford out of ABS.

youngrodder 01-20-2022 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 9022023)
Has the ABS went up like everything else? I had a dumb idea to try and make a headliner for my 40 Ford out of ABS.

I think I paid about the same last May when I bought 2 - 4' x 8' sheets. I was doing some math yesterday and I think I will need 1 add'l sheet (to the one I already ordered) to complete the headliner. SMH

Marc

youngrodder 01-31-2022 09:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Just about have the interior wrapped up. On Sunday I finished the last (2) sections of headliner. This took all day. The last piece was especially challenging as it tucks under the front window trim. It is done and one of those projects that I'm glad to have behind me. I just need to remount my visors and give the interior a good cleaning.

Tuesday we are supposed to be in the low 40's so I'm hopeful to get me gas tank rinsed out and reinstalled.

Thank you
Marc

8man 01-31-2022 09:57 AM

Wow! That looks great!

57FleetsideC4 01-31-2022 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 9027530)
Just about have the interior wrapped up. On Sunday I finished the last (2) sections of headliner. This took all day. The last piece was especially challenging as it tucks under the front window trim. It is done and one of those projects that I'm glad to have behind me. I just need to remount my visors and give the interior a good cleaning.

Tuesday we are supposed to be in the low 40's so I'm hopeful to get me gas tank rinsed out and reinstalled.

Thank you
Marc

Looks nice!! That's a lot of headliner! Steve

oldman3 01-31-2022 10:23 AM

Marc, nice job on liner...Jim

youngrodder 01-31-2022 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8man (Post 9027532)
Wow! That looks great!

Thank you

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57FleetsideC4 (Post 9027548)
Looks nice!! That's a lot of headliner! Steve

Thanks, I was REALLY getting sick of looking at the unfinished headliner. Took 2 4' x 8' sheets due to the width.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 9027549)
Marc, nice job on liner...Jim

Thank you Jim, much appreciated.

Marc

lower50's 01-31-2022 11:20 AM

I am defiantly going to have to use abs sheet on a future build. Was it difficult to figure out the pattern using the fiber board?

youngrodder 01-31-2022 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 9027589)
I am defiantly going to have to use abs sheet on a future build. Was it difficult to figure out the pattern using the fiber board?

Thanks man. No, the Ram board is easy to cut but fairly sturdy. It's really the only way to pull if off, especially in a Suburban. I didn't have an old headliner to use as a template.

I will probably go in an heat the panels with my heat gun to relax and mold them to the shape. Not sure it is necessary but I figured that it cant hurt.

The more I work with ABS, the more I like it. With the 1/16 thick you can score with a Utility knife and score and it snaps on the score when slightly folded. In a truck you could get really fancy and glue down foam and cover with material. In a Suburban not so much.

Marc