The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   1968 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=545446)

Xeen 08-07-2013 10:27 PM

Re: 1968

It is very unfortunate that the non removable Hazard knob broke off durring shipping because there is no realistic way to repair it, you are going to have to replace the entire switch.
Classic industries should sell the version with the removable hazard knob, but I would call them and have them pull the part and verify it for you, it will take some time because they will have to pull the part and call you back but it's worth the wait.
Classic Industries; part# 1997965

gdavis 08-08-2013 02:55 PM

yea I might have to do that.

gdavis 08-08-2013 05:40 PM

today I installed the steering column. It was not as bad as I thought it would be.
Also I installed the dome light. Had to fish the wires thru the back of the roof. Ran into a hornets nest at the dome light hole and they ran me out of the cab. But no more hornets now.

http://i.imgur.com/2DnbMIPl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/iST8Tddl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/QTAx1jNl.jpg

gdavis 08-09-2013 07:30 PM

I'am not in love with this steering column. It is real hard to go in reverse. But I will let it be untill I have the truck running. I also installed the shifting linkage.
I got the collaspible steering shaft coming my way.
This next week I should have several parts coming in. Maybe I can get something done.
I got the new hasard knob coming. Going to try and drill and tap the new knob on the red part where it broke off. I don't want to spend anymore on this column. All I did was bought someone else's problems.

Xeen 08-09-2013 11:58 PM

George does the gear selection on the column work smoothly and without resistance when the shift linkage isn't connected?
If it does then it's probably not the column at fault it's more likely the shift linkage binding up, you need to check to see if the angle at which the rod is at is causing problems, you may have to bend the rod so it is at the proper angle.
I had to put a significant bend into mine to get it to line up properly so there was no binding.
If you look closely you can see the bend in the rod.

http://i.imgur.com/R798DJT.jpg

gdavis 08-10-2013 09:36 AM

Yea the shifter work good untill I try to put it in reverse even when it is not connected to the linkage. It works the same way with the linkage. I know it is not the linkage. It has a hard time getting accross the reverse part of the column.

gdavis 08-10-2013 07:01 PM

I looked at the shifter linkage with a new eye. It is a little off. So witha little adjustment I manages to get reverse. But the park is another question. So i think I will odered a new shifter linkage. From some one. don't know yet. I do know I don't want the stock one. I think that is a big part of my problem.
I also installed my lower radiator hose. And the replacement plate where the old 68 e-brake attaches. With a new rubber stopper where the brake pedal arm hits.

darkhorse970 08-10-2013 11:50 PM

Very nice work !
Posted via Mobile Device

cubber 08-11-2013 02:40 PM

looks good, George. I need to try to find my battery box. I relocated my battery to the bed, so I don't need the tray anymore. If I can find it, and you can use it, you can have it.

Xeen 08-11-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubber (Post 6215217)
looks good, George. I need to try to find my battery box. I relocated my battery to the bed, so I don't need the tray anymore. If I can find it, and you can use it, you can have it.

Generosity at it's finest!

gdavis 08-11-2013 04:25 PM

Thanks so much guys. I enjoy reading your builds. I am having trouble with my column. It is hard to go into park. Even when it is not conected to the shifer linkage. It will not pull to the steering wheel to push into park. I can take a screw driver and stick between the forks and I can see the shifter move towards the steering wheel just like it suppose to. If I shove it hard enough it will go. But that is not how it should be. I seen someone with only one fork. I have two. One for the transmission to shift and one for the park. Could I remove the park fork? Has anyone experenced this before? Instead of removing the fork could I just grind the little tab where it rides over the fork? To go into park.

Xeen 08-11-2013 06:46 PM

George you need to call me so I can explain what the column looks like on the inside and explain to you how it works, I have a pretty good idea why it is binding.
Ok I'm going to try to explain this the best that I can.
The gear selector relies on a cam sprocket that prevents the transmission from jumping out of gear.
The cam sprocket has a spring washer behind it that puts tension on it so it can only be in two positions engaged and disengaged.
My guess is the spring washer is missing or damaged which is causing the cam sprocket to bind.

gdavis 08-12-2013 06:13 PM

I took the column apart and found a little worn out parts. I had another one here and used the parts from it. Works as good as it can for now. I need to get a new shifter linkage. The one I have is 46 years old and needs replaceing. I put it all together and installed it and had to remove it for It didn't line up just right. but the third time was a charm.

gdavis 08-13-2013 08:48 PM

Today some parts came in.
Both rear brake lines
Both rear view mirrows with extra arms.

I will install the brake lines tomorrow. I wrap the mirrows in some cloth and put them up untill I get ready for them. I need to start installing stuff for I am running out of room.

Mustard72 08-14-2013 12:08 AM

Looking good George. August 24 is right around the corner.

I'm out of room, too, and my wife has requested that we be able to get at least one car in the garage this winter. Making room by installing parts is awfully fun, though, isn't it?

A couple of pages ago, you mentioned replacing the rubber boot on the brake pushrod between the firewall and the booster. Where did you get the boot? Local parts store? I haven't seen one on line anywhere. Granted, I haven't looked to hard yet, but still...

gdavis 08-14-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustard72 (Post 6219746)
Looking good George. August 24 is right around the corner.

I'm out of room, too, and my wife has requested that we be able to get at least one car in the garage this winter. Making room by installing parts is awfully fun, though, isn't it?

A couple of pages ago, you mentioned replacing the rubber boot on the brake pushrod between the firewall and the booster. Where did you get the boot? Local parts store? I haven't seen one on line anywhere. Granted, I haven't looked to hard yet, but still...

yea it is. week inn afte the next. I had mine. Just forgot to install it when I put it together. sorry

gdavis 08-14-2013 07:35 PM

Today i installed the last two rear brake lines. I AM DONE WITH THE BRAKES. except for bleeding them.
here is a picture of the mirrow and arms I got in the mail yesterday. I was going to paint the mirrows orange, but the price of the mirrow were great so i will leave them chrome. The arms I really have not made my mind up on them. orange or black what do you guys think????????
http://i.imgur.com/R8FoUoTl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/cqKidB1l.jpg

In one of the pictures you can see a 1/2 inch gap between the steering wheel and the column. Is that normal just asking. also I had a extra set of mirrow arms that I got from a trade. So I sold them and made a difference for the good set I bought. The good set cost me half what they would have cost. Love it when somethings come together.

Xeen 08-14-2013 09:31 PM

Hey George;
The gap between the column and the steering wheel can't be helped because that steering wheel wasn't designed for that column.
As far as the mirror arms go I would paint them orange because they would look out of place if they were black considering everything else is orange.

gdavis 08-15-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 6221564)
Hey George;
The gap between the column and the steering wheel can't be helped because that steering wheel wasn't designed for that column.
As far as the mirror arms go I would paint them orange because they would look out of place if they were black considering everything else is orange.

yea that really sucks. Oh well It will do untill I find a 68 wheel cheap.

cubber 08-15-2013 11:11 PM

You'll be on the road soon!

gdavis 08-16-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubber (Post 6223273)
You'll be on the road soon!

I sure hope so. I am planning on intering it in the Christmas parade in Crystal River this year.

gdavis 08-16-2013 07:31 PM

Today I went over to a friends house and got another vent window frame, sun visor rod and a few odd and end parts. I had three vent windows stored over there and none of them were any good. All for free he is a good guy. We help each other out a lot. Freinds like him don't grow on trees. Brian I might have a new set of parking brake arms coming my way this next week. I will let you know.

gdavis 08-17-2013 03:45 PM

Well I finshed sand blasting the visor rods and the vent windows frames. Here is the results of my work thus far. Monday I will paint them orange so the paint will have time cure before I try to install the glass. This will give me time to order all the parts I need to fix both vent windows and seal for both doors.

Xeen 08-17-2013 05:55 PM

Very nice George, I like the attention to detail.

gdavis 08-17-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 6225601)
Very nice George, I like the attention to detail.

thanks Brian