The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=486137)

G&R's57GMC 03-23-2013 09:13 PM

Re: What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ?

1 Attachment(s)
Mark '87 930 That 5000# is the GVW of these trucks. They have almost nothing in them. Change out the Cast iron engine & trans for a LS aluminum Engine and Trans and you'd be under 3000#.

Heck my stock '57 GMC Long Bed NAPCO 4x4 is 4250# and it even has a cast iron front axle, and its still lighter then a Chevy Colorado.

mark '87 930 03-23-2013 09:31 PM

wow, ok. I think i'm going to drive onto one of those truck weigh stations on the weekend (they are closed but keep their scales on). I am curious now. MY hoist definetly seems to work a little harder with the truck than the Porsche.

That said, I repainted the cab under the fuel cap (gas overflowed again).

Dan in Pasadena 03-23-2013 11:15 PM

Did some painting today.
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...psa0bc67f6.jpg

Got the hood latch & latch panel in today...and it WORKS!
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps78e790ae.jpg
Yeah, I lost some bolts during the down time so those new ones will get painted tomorrow.

dubie 03-24-2013 12:34 AM

lots of the grunt work got done today. I should be done all the welding on the body this week and ready to mount everything
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...51#post5966951

Dan in Pasadena 03-24-2013 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubie (Post 5966971)
lots of the grunt work got done today. I should be done all the welding on the body this week and ready to mount everything
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...51#post5966951

EEK! Your wiring looks like it was a nightmare.

Too bad you don't live locally as I found a guy that does great electrical work and very cheap. I've referred a couple guys and so far eveyone's been happy with him.

rootbeer ride 03-25-2013 11:49 PM

wipped bondo on,sanded bondo of and then repeat on lt fender.i paint cars everyday buy hate doing bondo work.man i'm glad i'm just the painter.

Dan in Pasadena 03-26-2013 12:24 AM

Finished up what I posted a photo about in #1843.

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps36443e95.jpg

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps45656325.jpg

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps849b0d2a.jpg

Dan in Pasadena 03-26-2013 12:48 AM

By the way, G&R your Jimmy is kickass nice.

I'd love to see it with the stocker steelies in the same creamy color your grill is and the GMC hubcaps with the holes in the front for the locking hubs.

SUCH a nice truck. Is it totally stock mechanically?

lowdownstar 03-27-2013 09:11 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Built a new seat frame, the old one was welded to the floor and didn't help with getting the rug to sit right. Plus i added an 1/2" of hight witch worked better for me.

Ray

mknittle 03-27-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowdownstar (Post 5974001)
Built a new seat frame, the old one was welded to the floor and didn't help with getting the rug to sit right. Plus i added an 1/2" of hight witch worked better for me.

Ray

Looks good Ray.:metal: Makes me even more excited to get restarted on mine!

mknittle 03-27-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 5971382)

Looking good Dan.:metal:

Dan in Pasadena 03-27-2013 08:08 PM

Thanks so much. I just picked up a cheap deal on a front chrome bumper. Pic's upcoming.
Posted via Mobile Device

Daze57 03-28-2013 03:33 AM

lowdownstar

what are those seats out of ?

lowdownstar 03-28-2013 06:58 AM

They are after market seats made by Tea's really nice seat. if you would like more pic's let me know

Ray

lowdownstar 03-28-2013 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mknittle (Post 5974986)
Looks good Ray.:metal: Makes me even more excited to get restarted on mine!

Thanks for the kind words my friend. i would love to see more of your work, you do some really nice stuff!!!!

Ray

mknittle 03-28-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowdownstar (Post 5976058)
Thanks for the kind words my friend. i would love to see more of your work, you do some really nice stuff!!!!

Ray

Thanks Ray, my dad had the shop pretty much full with his project all winter.He is one of those guys that has every flat spot buryed with parts including my frame:lol:

NEWFISHER 03-28-2013 11:50 AM

Dan, your truck is really looking great! I like the soft semi flat look and color choices.

Lowdownstar...seats are killer

lowdownstar 03-28-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEWFISHER (Post 5976440)
Dan, your truck is really looking great! I like the soft semi flat look and color choices.

Lowdownstar...seats are killer

Thank you

I really do like the seat as well so it helps, i have a few more things to do to it before it's finished but i am hopping it will all work out in the end.

Ray

Dan in Pasadena 03-28-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEWFISHER (Post 5976440)

Oh thanks very much for the nice comment. I hope to mount my "new" chrome front bumper today. My old one is chrome too but this one's in better condition. Not PERfect, but quite nice....and of course cheap;)

It had minor rust (backside). Not as bad as the other one, so I soaked it overnight with Ospho on paper towels. When I get home I'll pull those and paint the backside.

Haven't checked your thread yet. I've been enjoying reading it. What's next on yours?

1-ton of fun 03-28-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggy5872 (Post 5955713)
My oldest son turned 10 the other day and tonight he helped me disassemble the carb off my 59. He was so excited. I loosened the screws and then let him take them all out. I'm not sure if he was more amused with the tools, carb or the magnetic tray that he made every screw stand up in. Probably the magnetic tray. It's soaking over night and tomorrow he will get to help put it back together. I'm glad he is finally old enough to help out. He did do some welding last winter on Big Bertha. Mom was not amused though. She worries too much.

i offered my parts truck (a '55 2nd) to my 13 year old son if he helped me finish up the '59. he's motivated after i showed him pictures of some finished ones, and he's going to be driving in a couple years. Mom says no big blocks for teenagers, so a small block v8 it is!:metal:

crossfire84 03-28-2013 06:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
i built a box and shoved it in the fire wall for the brake booster today.

lowdownstar 03-28-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mknittle (Post 5976315)
Thanks Ray, my dad had the shop pretty much full with his project all winter.He is one of those guys that has every flat spot buryed with parts including my frame:lol:

You should see my shop if you can call it that, lol i am running out of places to put stuff and now i am moving the junk all the time so i can work on other things.... it's time for a real place to work, one of my two boys is getting married in may and the is not to far behind him so we are looking to sell and move and if we do i want a nice big shop atleast three cars worth away from the house. ;)

Thanks ray

G&R's57GMC 03-28-2013 07:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ordered a Pertronix igniter system and coil, A Carter Weber 32/36 2 bbl. Carb, 2 into 1 adapter, and air filter For my '56 Chevy 3200. Hopefully it will clean up the exhaust a bit and improve mileage slightly.

mechanixman 03-29-2013 01:01 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I managed to pull the front clip off. Had to destroy the fender corners (already rusted through).
It seems like these guys brazed or TIG welded the fenders to the door and running board. It's almost like they were screwing it up on purpose... That and an 1/8 inch bondo in some places.
Honestly. I'm kinda afraid to see what the bare sheet metal looks like because it may be corroding (or just look nasty) under all the bondo/ paint

lowdownstar 03-29-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechanixman (Post 5977830)
I managed to pull the front clip off. Had to destroy the fender corners (already rusted through).
It seems like these guys brazed or TIG welded the fenders to the door and running board. It's almost like they were screwing it up on purpose... That and an 1/8 inch bondo in some places.
Honestly. I'm kinda afraid to see what the bare sheet metal looks like because it may be corroding (or just look nasty) under all the bondo/ paint

Keep the faith one thing at a time and it will come out killer. what are your plans for the truck

Ray

oneoff 03-29-2013 08:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the 6.2L motor in its new home...Attachment 1084068

mknittle 03-29-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowdownstar (Post 5977075)
You should see my shop if you can call it that, lol i am running out of places to put stuff and now i am moving the junk all the time so i can work on other things.... it's time for a real place to work, one of my two boys is getting married in may and the is not to far behind him so we are looking to sell and move and if we do i want a nice big shop atleast three cars worth away from the house. ;)

Thanks ray

LOL a small house attached to a big shop:lol:

mknittle 03-29-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechanixman (Post 5977830)

Those kind of things were dubbed Neato around here many years ago.:lol:

mknittle 03-29-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneoff (Post 5978052)
Got the 6.2L motor in its new home...Attachment 1084068

Looks nice Dennis!:metal:

mechanixman 03-29-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowdownstar (Post 5978008)
Keep the faith one thing at a time and it will come out killer. what are your plans for the truck?Ray

For now just have a beater to go to school and work in. Eventually (within two years....hopefully) Drop a 327 tri-power in, 5 speed, 3.73 posi in the rear, and two tone it blue and white(or silver).
A lot of the truck you see are dropped at least a couple inches. I thought it was so cool that I could actually just crawl under the truck with out a jack or stands, that I want to keep her riding high. (Plus I like looking down on other cars. =D )

Quote:

Originally Posted by mknittle (Post 5978230)
Those kind of things were dubbed Neato around here many years ago.:lol:

Ha ha really?
Who came up with that idea?
It was only on the passenger side too. At least I think. I went with a screw driver, because I thought it would just be bondo. When I wised up, I carefully use an angle grinder and made a couple clean passes on the drivers side. Everything looked clean on that side.

mknittle 03-29-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechanixman (Post 5978250)
For now just have a beater to go to school and work in. Eventually (within two years....hopefully) Drop a 327 tri-power in, 5 speed, 3.73 posi in the rear, and two tone it blue and white(or silver).
A lot of the truck you see are dropped at least a couple inches. I thought it was so cool that I could actually just crawl under the truck with out a jack or stands, that I want to keep her riding high. (Plus I like looking down on other cars. =D )

Ha ha really?
It was only on the passenger side too. At least I think. I went with a screw driver, because I thought it would just be bondo. When I wised up, I carefully use an angle grinder and made a couple clean passes on the drivers side. Everything looked clean on that side.

That is part of the fun of this hobbie/opsessinn1 To every bad thing there are good things that out weigh them!
Neato started as sarcasm and sorta stuck.:lol:

hsdropout 03-29-2013 12:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fender welting.

OrrieG 03-29-2013 12:26 PM

garage organization (found the missing dash knobs) and inventory for parts order.

NEWFISHER 03-29-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 5976639)
Oh thanks very much for the nice comment. I hope to mount my "new" chrome front bumper today. My old one is chrome too but this one's in better condition. Not PERfect, but quite nice....and of course cheap;)

It had minor rust (backside). Not as bad as the other one, so I soaked it overnight with Ospho on paper towels. When I get home I'll pull those and paint the backside.

Haven't checked your thread yet. I've been enjoying reading it. What's next on yours?

have you tried vasoline and paper towels?

I have a dual master/bracket to install and plug in my brake control to the harness I built, paint the new wheels that just came yesterday and thats about it. I have a upper column bearing to replace to get my horn working, but I have just been driving the snot out of it. We have a busy summer pulling the Avion to different trailer rallies with the Burb, cruises, Billit Proof etc and I have been beating on it trying to find a weak link now.

crossfire84 03-29-2013 05:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
mounted booster and hyd clutch master today. and installed a 3pt seatbelt kit.

tttuba 03-29-2013 07:19 PM

5 Attachment(s)
took the bed off again last weekend before getting sick AGAIN. darn flu. And mocked up the bed floor just to see what it would look like and to make sure I got the right kit.

lowdownstar 03-29-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechanixman (Post 5978250)

Ha ha really?

I like the plan , i can't wait to watch it come alive
Ray

Dan in Pasadena 03-29-2013 09:08 PM

Took "G&R's 57 GMC"'s suggestion; stopped at the local bicycle shop to ask for an inner tube out of their trash and did THIS with it:
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps8dbdaf2f.jpg
Yeah, kind of meh.... But the ones the shops sell don't look much different. It is what it is I suppose.

I also finally got my Craigslist-find front bumper painted on the reverse side and mounted. Thereby finishing the recent front end work:
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps6ecf3abf.jpg
Hell of an improvement to me.

arturo7 03-29-2013 09:22 PM

Aaaaarrrghh!!!

Finally able to devote a day to wrenchin' after a 2 month hiatus. Unfortunately, I ran into a couple brick walls working on my axles.

G&R's57GMC 03-29-2013 10:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dan in Pasadena, Try finding a smaller diameter tube, one that is tighter to the chain.

Today I installed the Pertronix system and cleaned the spark plug holes and gaped the plugs. Starts instantly, idles better :)