The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   1968 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=545446)

gdavis 06-24-2014 09:13 PM

Re: 1968

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustard72 (Post 6734635)
I'm not sure where you were measuring, George, but my door openings are at least as far off as yours. I had my doors back on it and got the latch and everything working really well, but I'm not too picky about my gaps being perfect with Mustard. I'm sure you'll get it figured out. I imagine there are lots of trucks with spacers under the striker plate and/or hinges. I didn't even think about it, I just put them back in...

but with a inch of spacers the door don't seal with the rubber enough. I set inside the cab and I can se day light on the back of the door. If I can see day light then water can also get in the cab.

gdavis 06-25-2014 08:38 PM

does anyone have any shims left over from their build? If so pm me.

kowboy63 06-26-2014 09:21 PM

Sorry to hear about the door opening troubles but I'm sure you'll get this figured out, just a little stumbling block right now. I've enjoyed watching this build.

gdavis 06-28-2014 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kowboy63 (Post 6737594)
Sorry to hear about the door opening troubles but I'm sure you'll get this figured out, just a little stumbling block right now. I've enjoyed watching this build.

yea me two. But i have them all figured out now.

Mustard72 06-29-2014 12:29 AM

Don't leave us hanging, George! What did you do with the doors?

Dean'smeanmachine 06-29-2014 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustard72 (Post 6740386)
Don't leave us hanging, George! What did you do with the doors?

x2

gdavis 07-01-2014 07:11 PM

I haven't done anything yet. I just got a hinge the other day from a fellow board member.
I didn't want to move the adjustment I have so I didn't remove the hinges on the truck. I will be making some plates in the next couple days. I talked to Vic the other day and he thinks it will work. But it has been so hot here that I didn't do anything on the truck. But I will soon. mid 90's

Mustard72 07-01-2014 10:27 PM

Topped out in the low 70s here today. Much colder than normal, though. It could stay this temperature all summer for all I care. Mid 90s wouldn't be out of the question here this time of year, either. On the hot side, but possible.

gdavis 07-02-2014 11:05 PM

Got a few more things ordered today. it is looking like I will not reach my Aug. 1st dead line.

gdavis 07-05-2014 11:20 PM

I am installing the wind shield in the truck this Wednesday. I got a guy that will install it for me. I tried and I just couldn't do it. My back is just not strong enough.

Xeen 07-05-2014 11:34 PM

George installing that windshield without breaking it is a two man job from what I have heard.

gdavis 07-06-2014 11:46 PM

Yea I know. I tried two times and once with another guy. We both did not know anything about installing the wind shield. I did install the rubber seal on the glass with a piece of rope. But it still would not work. So I am leaving it up to a Pro. He has installed them for years. so 75.00 wasn't that bad I guess. We will see Wednesday.

gdavis 07-08-2014 11:44 PM

The wind shield man will be here tomorrow morning to install the windshield. I hope.

litew8 07-10-2014 12:11 AM

You weren't kidding, he really is called 'the windshield man' :lol::lol:

gdavis 07-10-2014 09:42 PM

Yea he is, But he couldn't do the wind shield for like of experences, He only does late models. But he tried and charged me nothing. I gave him and his son a tip anyway. for trying. I was so up-set that I told my wife that I am quitting on the truck and just sell it. But then she said look at all the work you done and that changed my mind. For the big reason I done this truck so me and my two boys could go to shows.
So I got in touch with a shop that rebuilds classic truck and they put me on to a guy that does this type of install. he is going to do it Monday. Keep your fingers crossed.

swamp rat 07-11-2014 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdavis (Post 6756197)
So I got in touch with a shop that rebuilds classic truck and they put me on to a guy that does this type of install. he is going to do it Monday. Keep your fingers crossed.

Thats what ya gotta do, find somebody that specializes in our trucks! Your so close now don't even think about giving up.

litew8 07-11-2014 01:15 AM

It can be a one man job I'm pretty certain, if the installer is that good. Our windshield guy did it himself using the rope trick shown in this video. You've probably already seen this; you're braver than I for trying to tackle it yourself the first go round. In the video they uninstall the windshield, so you can skip to about 10:30 when they start the install. You could show the next tech this video if they get stumped.

Dean'smeanmachine 07-11-2014 10:46 AM

good video

gdavis 07-11-2014 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litew8 (Post 6756481)
It can be a one man job I'm pretty certain, if the installer is that good. Our windshield guy did it himself using the rope trick shown in this video. You've probably already seen this; you're braver than I for trying to tackle it yourself the first go round. In the video they uninstall the windshield, so you can skip to about 10:30 when they start the install. You could show the next tech this video if they get stumped.

Chevy Truck Windshield Install - YouTube

I went on line and watched the video three times with the rope trick and failed but I am now on the right track. My back was in bad shape anyway. It just wasn't worth the price of the install for me to do it..

gdavis 07-11-2014 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp rat (Post 6756467)
Thats what ya gotta do, find somebody that specializes in our trucks! Your so close now don't even think about giving up.

I was felling sorry for myself when I said I will sell the problem. I will never sell this truck. I am in for the long haul. But thanks for pointing that out to me. Monday it will be installed.
Today I went over to the welding shop and picked up enough 1x1 1/2 tubing to finish the bed supports. I will try and do the bed supports Monday after the wind shield install.

gdavis 07-12-2014 08:27 PM

The Church that I belong to is painting a single mothers house today. So I went over and helped until the heat got the best of me. I stayed until 11:30 and called it a day. Not as young as I used to be. Waiting for Monday to install the windshield and bed supports.

gdavis 07-14-2014 08:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, today I got something done on the old girl. I had a guy come over and he installed the wind shield in the truck. Boy it sure makes a difference in the appearance of the truck. It was refreshing to see someone install the windshield. He made it look so easy.
Tomorrow, I will be pulling the cowl and installing the vent screens. This way no leaves or trash will et in the cowl. I got to order my chrome wiper arms and blades sometime this week. next I want to finish the bed supports for the wood floor. I also gave it a good washing. Boy was it dirty, being under the canopy.

swamp rat 07-15-2014 12:41 AM

That insurmountable hurdle that had you so discouraged is now a thing of the past! Throw that for sale sign away and now on to the easy stuff! The truck looks great!

Dean'smeanmachine 07-15-2014 11:13 AM

coming along nicely !

Xeen 07-15-2014 01:11 PM

The truck looks great George.
At this point I think you need to hear the engine run to put a little spring in your step so the next parts you should order are what ever you need to make it run.

gdavis 07-15-2014 07:02 PM

Bryan, Dean, swamp rat. Thanks for stopping by and giving me a little encouragement on my build. I was getting a little baffled. But, that is all behind meat this point. I did made a deal with Bryan on his rear chrome bumper. I did order a set of NOS bumper braces for the front from a fellow boar member.

gdavis 07-15-2014 07:45 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures of the inside of my truck. I still need to get a AC switch and the radio and then the dash will be done. except, for the wiring as you can see hanging down.

gdavis 07-15-2014 07:49 PM

4 Attachment(s)
more pictures and one of my grand daughter which was helping me as you can see, until I use the air compressor and then she heads for the hills. She asked me If I know how to drive a truck. I told her I could figure it out and her reply was is this why you are building you a truck. What comes into a child's mind.
I need a set of door handle gaskets so I can mount the door panel on the door. And a new steering wheel. This is the same steering wheel that came with the truck.
I figured it will work until I get the bugs worked out of the truck.

Xeen 07-15-2014 08:21 PM

The interior looks really nice George.
Did you order the rubber bumpers for the door jambs?

gdavis 07-16-2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 6762475)
The interior looks really nice George.
Did you order the rubber bumpers for the door jambs?

yes I did two per door. There is a third hole in the jam, so I figured I might put the third bumper in the hole what do you think?

Xeen 07-16-2014 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdavis (Post 6763298)
yes I did two per door. There is a third hole in the jam, so I figured I might put the third bumper in the hole what do you think?

I would just put it back to factory specs which is two per side, don't add anything that isn't necessary.

gdavis 07-16-2014 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 6763403)
I would just put it back to factory specs which is two per side, don't add anything that isn't necessary.

I just to plug the hole in the jam that all.

gdavis 07-16-2014 07:15 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well, Today I got my back up light down and worked on them, painting them up. It rained all day anyway. And it supposed to rain until Friday. So I worked inside of my shop today.
Guys today I talked to Vic and he said that electric choke carb come with there own choke system. So if any of you guys are thinking that you have to use a manual choke, well you don't. The carb has two plugs one - and one +. just connect the post to your ignition switch (hot) when key is on and the - post to a ground and you are in business.
here are a couple pictures of the back up light painted. as you can see I painted inside of the lights white. and the outside black.
They turned out real nice. These I got from Bryan (Xeen). he made the mounting bracket with a help from another board member. So, I lucked out with these. Thanks Bryan.
I will mount them on the truck in a day or two. I would like them to dry completely first.

colgad 07-16-2014 11:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
George, just found your build, we have been building our trucks about the same time. I have loved watching your build, you've been doing a super job. I only live about an hour south of you and were about the same age (I'am 63). I know what you mean about back issues too, no fun.

I am almost done with my 67 and hope to be on the road this month. I have an oil pan leak and can't seem to make it stop. We will have to meet once we have ours on the road!

gdavis 07-17-2014 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colgad (Post 6764180)
George, just found your build, we have been building our trucks about the same time. I have loved watching your build, you've been doing a super job. I only live about an hour south of you and were about the same age (I'am 63).

I am almost done with my 67 and hope to be on the road this month. I have an oil pan leak and can't seem to make it stop. We will have to meet once we have ours on the road!

Sounds like a plan. I am still working on the ole girl. I have to install the exhaust and carb and all the electric wiring. I hope to have it on the road this year. Thanks for stopping by and reading my build. George

colgad 07-17-2014 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdavis (Post 6764952)
Sounds like a plan. I am still working on the ole girl. I have to install the exhaust and carb and all the electric wiring. I hope to have it on the road this year. Thanks for stopping by and reading my build. George

If you would like some help with wiring just let me know. As long as were out of the direct sun I am up for it. Available most days, just PM me.

gdavis 07-17-2014 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colgad (Post 6764980)
If you would like some help with wiring just let me know. As long as were out of the direct sun I am up for it. Available most days, just PM me.

I sent you a PM

gdavis 07-17-2014 11:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well, Today I finished up my back up lights. Then I finish up my floor supports in the bed. I am raising up my bed floor 5 inches. I got it in the truck with only 4 bolts. I need to get me some 1 x1 1/2 tubing for the support to the frame and bolt that to the frame with feet/tabs. I am glad that the paint job is not the finish coat. For I scratched it up some. I am going to weld the legs to the floor supports and put two on each piece of tubing. With all the bolts on each side and the front panel, that should be enough. The legs will be strong as can be. My tubing is 16 inch on center.
when all this is done I will have enough room to mount the gas lid to put gas in the tank.

gdavis 07-18-2014 07:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, today I found out there is a difference between the left and right tail gate chains. This is why I was having problems hooking the chains. I also mounted the back up lights on the truck.

gdavis 07-19-2014 01:34 AM

I hope to finish the legs from the new bed supports to the frame, maybe????????