The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   FAQ Truck Tech (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   SoCal checkin' in (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=655965)

budnikguy 12-06-2013 02:09 PM

Re: SoCal checkin' in

Simple removal and replacement deal..just take your time. No reason to Pay a shop to do it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by InitialBoss (Post 6404866)
Hey guys, I'm going to attempt to replace the fuel hose that runs from the steel line to the pump, in my truck. It appears to be leaking right where the hose clamp is. In case things go south, would anybody be around on the boards or in the riverside area to lend a hand? I've never done this before and am hoping its not too difficult. Or do you guys suggest taking it to a shop? This operation will occur tomorrow or Sunday.

InitialBoss 12-06-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee H (Post 6404951)
This is an easy maintenance item to do. If you run into problems I will help you out. The trick it to have a tool to cut off the flow of gas or change it out real quick. Even a vise grip will work in a pinch. I'll PM you my cell number. Lee

Thanks Lee and everyone. I feel like I can do this myself but didn't want to run into issues. It's always nice to have a buddy. Thanks for the help.

Lee, if you can PM me your number, that would be great. Just in case. Correction. I think I just got it.

ItsRandy 12-06-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InitialBoss (Post 6404866)
Hey guys, I'm going to attempt to replace the fuel hose that runs from the steel line to the pump, in my truck. It appears to be leaking right where the hose clamp is. In case things go south, would anybody be around on the boards or in the riverside area to lend a hand? I've never done this before and am hoping its not too difficult. Or do you guys suggest taking it to a shop? This operation will occur tomorrow or Sunday.

Where in Riverside? If you do it on Saturday I can help you out. It's supposed to rain Saturday. Are you working inside? I can't help on Sunday, I have a car show I'm going to. Call me if you want: 714.623.0853

ItsRandy 12-06-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee H (Post 6404951)
This is an easy maintenance item to do. If you run into problems I will help you out. The trick it to have a tool to cut off the flow of gas or change it out real quick. Even a vise grip will work in a pinch. I'll PM you my cell number. Lee

In a pinch? Pun intended?

InitialBoss 12-06-2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsRandy (Post 6405717)
Where in Riverside? If you do it on Saturday I can help you out. It's supposed to rain Saturday. Are you working inside? I can't help on Sunday, I have a car show I'm going to. Call me if you want: 714.623.0853

I'm near Alessandro close to Mo Val. I'll work on it tomorrow in my garage. I'm hoping if it rains tomorrow, it'll rain in the evening. I plan to work on it in the afternoon.

ItsRandy 12-07-2013 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InitialBoss (Post 6405749)
I'm near Alessandro close to Mo Val. I'll work on it tomorrow in my garage. I'm hoping if it rains tomorrow, it'll rain in the evening. I plan to work on it in the afternoon.

The morning is better for me, the earlier the better (8-9am). I am helping a buddy of mine in the afternoon. It's supposed to start raining tonight and rain most of the day tomorrow.

InitialBoss 12-07-2013 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsRandy (Post 6405808)
The morning is better for me, the earlier the better (8-9am). I am helping a buddy of mine in the afternoon. It's supposed to start raining tonight and rain most of the day tomorrow.

Well, I can pretty much start anytime in the morning. I'll be up. 8 or 9 or earlier. My 18 month old daughter usually wakes up early. So I'm up too. Ha ha. I can even be up at 7AM. If you can lend a hand, I'll be up whenever is best for you, bro!

InitialBoss 12-07-2013 02:51 PM

Huge thank you to Randy who helped me today and to all who offered! I am so grateful to you guys on this board. You all have been so nice and I can't thank you all enough. We got the hose replaced with no problems like you all mentioned. But. The fuel pump did start to go out and leak from underneath! Lol. I'm going to pick up a new one today and then try to replace it. Wish me luck guys!!

hopped up 12-08-2013 11:54 PM

Where's the pictures from today's meet ? I didn't make it and wanna see some pix. Lol

50bomb 12-18-2013 10:57 AM

I always wanted to go to a show where I could meet some board members. I ended up selling my old chevy trucks. NOw I own a 2001 silverado single cab shorty. Never owned anything newer than 67 till now. NO regrets on doing so but hopefully I can still and eventually come out and see all your guys cool rides AAANNDD maybe someday get me my dream truck, 61 k10 shortbed.

VDOG 12-18-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 50bomb (Post 6424068)
I always wanted to go to a show where I could meet some board members. I ended up selling my old chevy trucks. NOw I own a 2001 silverado single cab shorty.

Of course your still welcomed to hangout at a meet or show with us. We might harass you a bit for trading up, but its all good. LOL

hopped up 12-19-2013 12:18 AM

Quote:

I always wanted to go to a show where I could meet some board members. I ended up selling my old chevy trucks. NOw I own a 2001 silverado single cab shorty. Never owned anything newer than 67 till now. NO regrets on doing so but hopefully I can still and eventually come out and see all your guys cool rides AAANNDD maybe someday get me my dream truck, 61 k10 shortbed.

of course you can still meet up with us. maybe ill come in my 01 silverado so you dont feel out of place lol

50bomb 12-19-2013 04:00 PM

haha VDOG! Right on Hopped up, Sounds good.

Dano69c10 12-21-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

I'll bring my 07 silverado...:metal:

VDOG 12-22-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dano69c10 (Post 6429113)
I'll bring my 07 silverado...:metal:

Ok this newer truck stuff is getting outta hand darnit!!! LOL

50bomb 12-22-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VDOG (Post 6430461)
Ok this newer truck stuff is getting outta hand darnit!!! LOL

OOPS:mm: :lol:

Dano69c10 12-22-2013 06:20 PM

Hope everyone has a nice Holiday Season! (Christmas, Hanukah, etc...) and a Happy New Year, but is anyone going to the Early Rodders meet on Jan 4? I think this time we should grab some breakfast nearby...
Dano

hopped up 12-22-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dano69c10 (Post 6430498)
Hope everyone has a nice Holiday Season! (Christmas, Hanukah, etc...) and a Happy New Year, but is anyone going to the Early Rodders meet on Jan 4? I think this time we should grab some breakfast nearby...
Dano

me and brook will be there.

ItsRandy 12-23-2013 12:32 AM

Early Rodder's meet Jan. 4th? Where? What time?

hopped up 12-23-2013 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsRandy (Post 6431007)
Early Rodder's meet Jan. 4th? Where? What time?

same place as last time randy. the movie theater in montrose

InitialBoss 12-24-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hopped up (Post 6431069)

Montrose. That sounds far from me. I don't think Optimus (my truck) may be able to make that voyage. I fixed my fuel pump but so far it's working without leaks. Now I have to figure out why the gas gauge fluctuates between low and raises when I give it gas. :crazy::crazy: Oh and there is that pesky completely whack speedometer problem too. Has me driving at 20 mph more than I really am. These old trucks always have a way of making you spend money on them. LOL.

VDOG 12-24-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InitialBoss (Post 6433111)
Montrose. That sounds far from me. Now I have to figure out why the gas gauge fluctuates between low and raises when I give it gas. :crazy::crazy: Oh and there is that pesky completely whack speedometer problem too. Has me driving at 20 mph more than I really am. These old trucks always have a way of making you spend money on them. LOL.

You have something touching or a broken wire. If you have a rim and tire size that different than the original, your speedo is going to show a different speed. Or you need a new 20 dollar cable.

hopped up 12-24-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InitialBoss (Post 6433111)
Montrose. That sounds far from me. I don't think Optimus (my truck) may be able to make that voyage. I fixed my fuel pump but so far it's working without leaks. Now I have to figure out why the gas gauge fluctuates between low and raises when I give it gas. :crazy::crazy: Oh and there is that pesky completely whack speedometer problem too. Has me driving at 20 mph more than I really am. These old trucks always have a way of making you spend money on them. LOL.

id get a new fuel sending unit to fix that fluctuating in your gas gage. and you need to change the gear in your tranny to fix you speedo.

InitialBoss 12-24-2013 05:18 PM

Yep, I'm going to get a new cable and hope it fixes the issue. I wish I knew why the trans was changed from manual to auto. I wonder if they used a different gear for the 12 bolt rear end than stock. I don't even know if the 12 bolt it has now is stock. How much do the sending units cost? Are they easy to install? Aside from learning how to replace the fuel pump, I get nervous working around fuel. :devil:

nibs 12-24-2013 07:03 PM

Merry Christmas guys! Hope you all have a great one. :)

69Rumbler 12-24-2013 07:05 PM

Marry Xmas ever ! Side note any of you guys every use peel and seal ? Lol

ItsRandy 12-24-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hopped up (Post 6431069)

You gotta' give me a break Andy, I'm a freakin' old guy. Merry Christmas everyone.

hopped up 12-24-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69Rumbler (Post 6433573)
Marry Xmas ever ! Side note any of you guys every use peel and seal ? Lol

Merry Xmas guys!! Yes peel and seal is a great alternative to the away more expensive dynamat

hopped up 12-24-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsRandy (Post 6433627)
You gotta' give me a break Andy, I'm a freakin' old guy. Merry Christmas everyone.

Lol! I forget sometimes randy

InitialBoss 12-24-2013 08:37 PM

Merry Christmas everyone! Have a great and safe holiday!

VWNate1 12-25-2013 12:32 PM

Re : Fuel Gauge Fun

First things first as the sender rarely poops out and God knows , the new Chinese ones aren't worth spit .

Get some 6' lengths of wire , like old power cords from those junked TV sets on your curb , strip off 3" of bare wire on each end .

Jamb one end of this wire in the slider of the ash tray then touch the other end to the fuel sender's connection and turn on the key ~ this should drive the gauge to one extreme ~ if it does , disconnect both the jumper wire and the sender wire and the gauge should drive to it's other extreme .

*if* the gauge can be driven to it's extremes this way , then the sender is bad .

90 % of the time there's a bad ground between the tank and the cab / frame .

VDOG 12-25-2013 01:06 PM

Re: Re : Fuel Gauge Fun

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWNate1 (Post 6434269)
90 % of the time there's a bad ground between the tank and the cab / frame .

See thats what I said something like that told you guys my ideas always works sometimes. LOL

Merry Christmas Fellas!

hopped up 12-25-2013 01:20 PM

but if its fluctuating id say the sender is moving around in the tank

C0UCH 12-26-2013 02:06 AM

Merry Christmas guys!

VWNate1 12-26-2013 02:51 AM

Sound deadening ;

It's very important to use it as much as possible as it helps stop the sheet metal from ' drumming ' , this is what telegraphs most of the noise road , engine , tires etc. into the passenger compartment .

However , when using it inside the doors , behind the seat and so on , it's also very important to stop it 1" minimum below the lower edge of each panel , this allows the normal amount of water precipitate to not get rapped and cause rust .

Similarly when you're doing the inside of the roof , stop before you reach the edge pinchwelds .

Be sure to take some time and thoroughly clean out the rain holes in the bottoms of the doors etc. ., not just of leaves but also the 40 years accumulation of dust / mud , insects etc. as all these collect and hold moisture .

camarojim 12-26-2013 03:18 AM

ORange County here I would also be intrested in a truck meet Once a month

camarojim 12-26-2013 04:15 AM

Orange County Hear I also would be intrested in a truck meet once a month. :chevy:

VWNate1 12-26-2013 12:28 PM

OOPS ~

The single most important thing in sound deadening is to use only closed cell materiel ! open cell holds moisture like a sponge .

Sorry for that gaffe , I was stuffed to the gills with Holiday Foods last night .

I too would like to continue the So. Cal. Meet & Greets , the diverse collection of people and trucks is always interesting .

ItsRandy 12-27-2013 12:08 AM

Diverse...look at Nate using big words and stuff.

InitialBoss 12-27-2013 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsRandy (Post 6436345)
Diverse...look at Nate using big words and stuff.

Ha ha. I would like to know about more meets in So Cal. too. I just don't feel up to driving the truck too far away until I get the fuel and speedometer all squared away. Which reminds me. I wonder if I should just get a new or replacement gauge cluster anyways. My odometer doesn't even turn over with the miles. Yep, a true fixer-upper. Ha ha.