The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Donz '65 SWB Stepper Budget Build... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=533920)

Ta2Don 01-19-2015 08:07 PM

Re: Donz '65 SWB Stepper Budget Build...

5 Attachment(s)
Thanks Clem… Floor has been swept ant least a half dozen times over the course of yesterday and today…:crazy:

Today I started off performing some door surgery in order to help out my mate Rian over in the U.K. I cut out some patch panels that he is in need of...:mm:

Here are some pics...:chevy:

likaroc13 01-19-2015 08:10 PM

Git'r done Don! Hoping to get back on mine before long. Enjoy that nice weather while you can.

Ta2Don 01-19-2015 08:38 PM

5 Attachment(s)
After getting Rian's patch panels cut… I continued removing the required brackets and such from the bent frame, and split in two so I could move easier, then after one of the sweeping sessions...:lol: I rolled the straight frame in, removed the rear-end and leaf spring set-up… rolled that out into the woods in and amongst my junk pile… rolled the trailing arm set-up into the work area and removed all the un-needed hardware… all in preparation of installing the Chevy rear set-up…:chevy: The main reason for the changeover is due to the fact that the 12 bolt rear-end axles have already been drilled and re-done to a 5 lug set up...:uhmk: I also removed the rear bumper that sports a Dealer's Name from Newport Arkansas...
Onto the pics...

Ta2Don 01-19-2015 08:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One more pic, just because I found it Cool… Gotta Love Plasma Cutters...:metal:

Jeff La 01-19-2015 11:42 PM

Good work Don, and yes plasma is fun LOL

Grizz1963 01-20-2015 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 7010544)
Thanks Clem… Floor has been swept ant least a half dozen times over the course of yesterday and today…:crazy:

Today I started off performing some door surgery in order to help out my mate Rian over in the U.K. I cut out some patch panels that he is in need of...:mm:

Here are some pics...:chevy:

Thank you very much Don, I really appreciate this, again.

Next up, Pack, Post, and Paypal.

Ta2Don 01-20-2015 09:22 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Not much truck time today, but I did manage a few minutes after taking the Boss…read Wife… out to lunch and for a bit of shopping...:mm:

Upon returning home, I promptly excused myself to the shed to sacrifice part of a pizza box for a template to drill the proper holes in the frame for the crossmember that holds the top shock mounts and Upper spring mounts for the rear springs…:mm: A small amount of forward motion nonetheless...:metal:
Tape Measure, Hammer, Marker, soapstone, Drill & Bit in hand and the fun began...:lol:

I haven't started my photobucket account yet so i am limited to 5 pics per post… Rian was asking me for links assuming I was using photobucket or some other pic sharing service… I had an imageshack acct but that went weird quick so I guess I'll attempt to join the rest of the cool kids and go to the bucket...:bann:

Here are a few pics of this adventure in swapping the :chevy: rear set-up to the :gmc2: frame… The soapstone arrows in the last pic show the mounting holes I drilled and will be using, the other two were already in the frame… may fill, if needed, advice welcomed...:chevy:

Ta2Don 01-20-2015 11:29 PM

Update on Post 1191 of my ongoing saga…

I ended up with an instrument cluster with warning lights that I offered up for the cost of the ride…:uhmk:

Had a guy respond within an hour, then dropped off the grid and refused to answer texts or calls… re-posted and a few days after another person responded… He hit my PayPal pretty quick and today I mailed him the cluster… Called him to let him know when to expect delivery and turns out that he was in St. Louis but originally from a town about a half hour away…;) He didn't need the cluster for a build but he collects Speedometers… He previously had one, but sold it with a 65 he had…:metal: After a short conversation he said he'd drop by and say hello sometime when he visits this area...;)

likaroc13 01-20-2015 11:47 PM

You might look into Flikr for your photo hosting as well. I have a Photobucket account but have been gradually moving my stuff to my Flikr account. I know Photobucket was going through some changes a while back, & things were becoming a hassle. However, I haven't paid much attention to them in a while. Not sure how they compare these days.

Grizz1963 01-21-2015 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 7012533)
Update on Post 1191 of my ongoing saga…

I ended up with an instrument cluster with warning lights that I offered up for the cost of the ride…:uhmk:

Had a guy respond within an hour, then dropped off the grid and refused to answer texts or calls… re-posted and a few days after another person responded… He hit my PayPal pretty quick and today I mailed him the cluster… Called him to let him know when to expect delivery and turns out that he was in St. Louis but originally from a town about a half hour away…;) He didn't need the cluster for a build but he collects Speedometers… He previously had one, but sold it with a 65 he had…:metal: After a short conversation he said he'd drop by and say hello sometime when he visits this area...;)

Small world.

And I thought collecting number plates was weird.....;)

bj383ss 01-21-2015 07:45 AM

X2 on Flickr Don. You can even upload the app on your phone and as soon as you take pictures it will upload them to your Flickr Photostream for you automatically. Then all you have to do is cut and paste the BBcode into your thread. Flickr is very easy and no bandwidth.

Bret

Ta2Don 01-21-2015 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 7012569)
You might look into Flikr for your photo hosting as well. I have a Photobucket account but have been gradually moving my stuff to my Flikr account. I know Photobucket was going through some changes a while back, & things were becoming a hassle. However, I haven't paid much attention to them in a while. Not sure how they compare these days.

Thanks for the input...;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizz1963 (Post 7012764)
Small world.

And I thought collecting number plates was weird.....;)

Only thing weird is what others think...:mm: Thanks for the pics this morning mate! ;):chevy:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bj383ss (Post 7012816)
X2 on Flickr Don. You can even upload the app on your phone and as soon as you take pictures it will upload them to your Flickr Photostream for you automatically. Then all you have to do is cut and paste the BBcode into your thread. Flickr is very easy and no bandwidth.

Bret

Will be checking it out… and I hope Donnie can fix you up on the door pieces...:metal:

TJ's Chevy 01-21-2015 12:06 PM

Man brotha! You been busy! lol :metal: Good work! New frame is looking good! :chevy:

Ta2Don 01-21-2015 12:32 PM

Jumped on the Flickr Bandwagon...:mm: Ta2don out there… just getting started so any hints will be much appreciated...:lol:

Ta2Don 01-21-2015 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy (Post 7013052)
Man brotha! You been busy! lol :metal: Good work! New frame is looking good! :chevy:

Thanx Brotha… Had a lot of fun during the warm, sunny days off I had this past weekend...:metal: Now I gotta buy a bunch of Grade 8 Hardware to bolt up, but first it is time to clean and paint a frame...:chevy:

dwcardfan 01-21-2015 03:41 PM

:metal::metal::metal::metal:

mjh1965 01-21-2015 04:21 PM

Looks like you have been working hard . Do you think it will be ready for Clems gathering ?
Thanks for the call to say my parts had arrived . I look forward to getting them so I can carry on my welding speak to you soon Martin

bj383ss 01-21-2015 05:13 PM

Only suggestion I have Don is to organize your photos into albums. Makes it easier to find pictures you are looking for. Since it just loads them all into your photostream based on date they were uploaded.

Bret

bj383ss 01-21-2015 05:18 PM

Found you on Flickr...Following

Ta2Don 01-21-2015 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bj383ss (Post 7013414)
Found you on Flickr...Following

Just saw that… got some truck time in today, had the satellite internet guy install our dish today, so due to the unusually warm weather, I played hooky and got more work in...:metal:

Going to post a couple of pics to your thread of that piston I referred to...:lol:

Ta2Don 01-21-2015 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjh1965 (Post 7013362)
Looks like you have been working hard . Do you think it will be ready for Clems gathering ?
Thanks for the call to say my parts had arrived . I look forward to getting them so I can carry on my welding speak to you soon Martin

Will get some mailing labels printed and such tomorrow, so I should have your bits on the way by Friday at the latest...:mm:

Ta2Don 01-21-2015 08:49 PM

More truck time this afternoon...:bann:
Another unusually warm day, and due to the fact that I had satellite internet installed today, I skipped outta work and broke out the wrenches, spanners for my mates across the pond…;)
I also started a Flickr account after recommendations from Bj383ss and Likaroc13...:mm: I had previously tried Imageshack, and after a short while they re-vamped their site and made it impossible for me to navigate easily… so far Flickr has me won over…

I removed the front crossmember and got the frame up in the air where I can start cleaning and prepping for paint… Today I was able to get the frame stripped of excess bolts, clips, upper front shock mounts, and very old brake and fuel lines...:uhmk:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8682/...3e60a4e4_b.jpgUntitled by ta2don, on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7504/...b8fa8f2d_b.jpg by ta2don, on Flickr

I rolled the front crossmember and Rear-end to the side…

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7530/...b054be9e_b.jpg by ta2don, on Flickr

Ta2Don 01-21-2015 09:11 PM

After a quick call to Bret, I figured out the Flickr Pic sharing box and started in… I also posted a pic on his thread of a Piston "Trophy" of mine…:lol: Trophy is a term I borrowed from Bret following our chat..;)

Here's the Trophy… Out of a '72 HD FLH I was riding when it came apart thanks to a bit of gasket sealer that clogged the crankpin oiling port...:ack: Seems the shop that rebuilt that motor for me used a lot of gasket sealer which in the end plugged my oiling system...:dohh:

The rusty bit is a part of the rod…
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8653/...c7202dde_b.jpg by ta2don, on Flickr

Kinda hard to see but on the left top edge of the piston you can spot the marks where that valve kissed the piston...
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7555/...392309ca_b.jpg by ta2don, on Flickr

TJ's Chevy 01-21-2015 09:53 PM

Eeeek! That's one wrecked piston! lol

Grizz1963 01-22-2015 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy (Post 7013794)
Eeeek! That's one wrecked piston! lol

Question is.......

Did you come away OK ??

I know sometimes these catastrophic endings have wider repercussions.