The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Daverods project 66 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=336798)

ruffrida2005 12-19-2010 03:30 PM

Re: Daverods project 66

Man that motor in the first pic looks like it has a little rust on it. Let me know if you need anything man.

daverod 12-19-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 (Post 4359448)
Man that motor in the first pic looks like it has a little rust on it. Let me know if you need anything man.

I need your harness. PM my with your bottom $$. Just spent a bunch but time is $$.

daverod 12-19-2010 04:03 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Did'nt like my new paint job of the roof of my 64. Primer it and shot it again sanded it down alittle much better. Painted my fender with some slick sand. I love the smell of that stuff.:lol: Sprayed really good booth worked well. Cut out my old heater controll thing and put it in my new dsah. Should work good.:uhmk:

daverod 12-19-2010 04:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Oh ya fixed a big scrape on my drivers door. And don't forget just say no.:smoke::lol:Especially when anywhere near Rexburg.:dohh: Had to say :buh: to a good friend for awhile.:waah: Just more time and $$ and can spend on my truck.:metal: I did find out I drink way to much caffeine.:mm::lol::lol:

daverod 12-19-2010 11:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Sanded down the fenders with some 180. That slicksand is sweet. Sands so nice. Patched a come small spots with some filler, sanded them, sprayed them again with some G2 feather fill. Turned the air up to 35 worked a lot better. I had it set at about 25.Went with the black. If things don't work out so good I'm going to sand the burnt orange down to give it a patina look. So far it looks great.:uhmk:

bubba327 12-20-2010 01:27 AM

Hey Dave-- Pm sent on the brackets - I saw a set in the Jalopy jungle a while back, but I did not need any, So I left them . Not entirely sure if they were 292 brackets or 230/250. Hope they are still there!!!!
There is a difference. You need the style shown in picture #4 or #5 in post 1919 above in this thread.
The short radiator hose turning back under the bracket is the difference. The 230/250 does not have that short hose. Check out post # 28 - bottom picture of "Bubba's Recycling Project" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=365170&page=2 for a picture of the 230/250 set-up
I can check Wednesday if it is not howling snow. Snowing here big time tonight.:chevy: Bubba

daverod 12-20-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba327 (Post 4360642)
Hey Dave-- Pm sent on the brackets - I saw a set in the Jalopy jungle a while back, but I did not need any, So I left them . Not entirely sure if they were 292 brackets or 230/250. Hope they are still there!!!!
There is a difference. You need the style shown in picture #4 or #5 in post 1919 above in this thread.
The short radiator hose turning back under the bracket is the difference. The 230/250 does not have that short hose. Check out post # 28 - bottom picture of "Bubba's Recycling Project" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=365170&page=2 for a picture of the 230/250 set-up
I can check Wednesday if it is not howling snow. Snowing here big time tonight.:chevy: Bubba

You live in Idaho. Don't let alittle snow stop you.:lol: Just take a bigger shovel.:mm: I need to go sand some more.:waah: Almost have my cab ready. Seeing all these guys knocking out low riders in 6 months is really pissin me off.:lol: Of course they seem to have tons of cash. I think that helps. Oh ya and the not painting anything also helps.:uhmk:

ruffrida2005 12-20-2010 11:25 AM

yeah it sucks seeing all these guys drop loads of cash in their truck all at once, But I guess that's how the games played. Atleast you can say that you've built yours and not someone else.

Strodder 12-20-2010 12:51 PM

Can't wait to see it.

daverod 12-20-2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 (Post 4360999)
yeah it sucks seeing all these guys drop loads of cash in their truck all at once, But I guess that's how the games played. Atleast you can say that you've built yours and not someone else.

Don't get me wrong I have no problems with dumping tons of cash in my truck.:lol::lol: It just take me alittle longer.:lol: Gotta spend your $$$ on somthing. I don't plan on taking any with me when I check out of this place.:devil: I'm not sure but I think you get 50 virgin trucks and unlimited cutting disks at the next place/planet .:lol::lol:

daverod 12-21-2010 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4361117)
Can't wait to see it.

Thanks for the pictures. Spent the whole night laughing.:lol:http://belair.smugmug.com/Motorcycle...31279370_9yNTy You do like your smug mug.

Strodder 12-21-2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4362565)
Thanks for the pictures. Spent the whole night laughing.:lol:http://belair.smugmug.com/Motorcycle...31279370_9yNTy You do like your smug mug.

Yes I do love Smug Mug. Did you check out the other pictures? Some of the galleries are made to be private because of nudity. It's Smug Mug's rules. Two of the bikes at the motorcycle show were built by my son. :metal:

daverod 12-21-2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4362925)
Yes I do love Smug Mug. Did you check out the other pictures? Some of the galleries are made to be private because of nudity. It's Smug Mug's rules. Two of the bikes at the motorcycle show were built by my son. :metal:

Looked at all the trucks. Looking for paint ideas. Orange with some flames maybe. The hot rod art and the old garages were way cool. I think I'm going to have to remodel the front of my barn.;) Guess I'll have to look at smug mug later. I have to go pay for my accuair stuff.

daverod 12-24-2010 05:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
3 coats of slick sand.:uhmk: Got my notch. Lots of stuff to do.

ruffrida2005 12-24-2010 09:24 PM

Man that looks good. Dont you want to paint it before you run the harness in there. I wonder how the wirings going to work on the guages. You'll figure it out.

I'll get it out to you monday if I can.

watahyahknow 12-24-2010 11:10 PM

he could use a seperate loom for the gauges ending intoo a multiplug so there eazier to plug intoo the main wiring
that way you can put the gauges and facia in as one unit and reduce the change of scratching and laying under the dash upside down for a long time hooking everything up
beside that you can put the main wiring in later so the colourcoding on the wires are still visible and not covered with paint

ruffrida2005 12-24-2010 11:39 PM

He's getting my painless harness made for these trucks. I just didn't know how the Impala guages hooked up.

daverod 12-25-2010 12:38 AM

3 Attachment(s)
It's going to get painted first.Tomorrow is another day.:lol: Got one side of my notch cut out. Think I'll weld the inside seams. Watahyahknow I've got time I'll just wait till Allan does his gages I'm sure he has it all figured out.:uhmk: I do like the idea of just painting all the wires gray. Saw this picture on the web, thought of you Paul.:lol: Better check your paypal. Get that thing in the mail before the mice finish it off.

ruffrida2005 12-25-2010 02:24 PM

Haha nice pic Dave. Truck is coming along. I have the harness boxed up. Just waiting to get back to my house. And thanks again. Have a Merry Christmas.

Strodder 12-26-2010 11:13 AM

Hey Dave, just get a 59 Impala wiring diagram for your dash.

http://www.59classicchevy.com/images...agram-8-sm.jpg

daverod 12-26-2010 11:39 AM

Cool thanx. I'm thinking I'll be needing that. Got the slicksand sanded with 100 grit. Ready to spray with some g2 feather fill. I love spraying. How did I ever get along without a air compressor? Changed the oil out yesterday. Need to go to HF and get a air chiesel today.;) Heating my spray room up as we speak. Wonder if I should get a Imlala dash harness?

protrash64 12-26-2010 12:05 PM

What are you chiselin' on???

Alan's Classic 12-26-2010 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4370401)
Hey Dave, just get a 59 Impala wiring diagram for your dash.

Thanks for that post. Printing it out now. :metal:

Alan's Classic 12-26-2010 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watahyahknow (Post 4368813)
he could use a seperate loom for the gauges ending intoo a multiplug so there eazier to plug intoo the main wiring
that way you can put the gauges and facia in as one unit and reduce the change of scratching and laying under the dash upside down for a long time hooking everything up
beside that you can put the main wiring in later so the colourcoding on the wires are still visible and not covered with paint

That is my plan when I get too it. I will have a quick disconnect for the gauges. Not sure yet how too arrange it due to the fact that the gauge pod is 3 different pieces. The outer pieces are seperate from the speedo.

daverod 12-26-2010 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protrash64 (Post 4370470)
What are you chiselin' on???

I put notches on my 64 used a grinder to get the rivets off. Thinking a chisel would be better. Done doing the notches just thinking about next time.;)

daverod 12-26-2010 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 4370490)
That is my plan when I get too it. I will have a quick disconnect for the gauges. Not sure yet how too arrange it due to the fact that the gauge pod is 3 different pieces. The outer pieces are seperate from the speedo.

You need to quit messing around and get that harness figured out.:lol:

daverod 12-26-2010 06:50 PM

errrr:censored: A learning day. Things learned.
1) Just because they give you 4 tubes of hardener doesnt mean one tube per qt.
2) Make sure to open the air hole thing on the lid of the spray gun cap. (I think I already learned this once before).:lol:
3) Always have some extra hardner laying around.
4) Laquear thinner thats been sitting in open air for days is'nt laquear thinner any more (it's water).
4) Learn the proper way to clean your paint gun.
With all that learned I'm worn out.:lol: I did manage to get one coat of G2 on. Took about 3 hours.

ruffrida2005 12-26-2010 06:53 PM

Hey Dave learn to clean your gun. My buddy that went to school for paint and body always keeps a little cleaner in his gun after it's clean just in case.

watahyahknow 12-26-2010 08:10 PM

used to work as a automotive painter we filled the gun with thinner screwed the nozzle loose held a finger or rag over the opening and shook vigarously while triggering the air ..... those where the older paintguns with the cup underneath i dont know if that works on the newer guns with gravity feed
gave a hell of a mess but it worked whell after that we took it apart firther and used the rag to get most of the rest of the paint off

as for hardener ..... one pea size blob hardener for every golfball size filler too mush hardener and it whont set

ruffrida2005 12-26-2010 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watahyahknow (Post 4371124)
used to work as a automotive painter we filled the gun with thinner screwed the nozzle loose held a finger or rag over the opening and shook vigarously while triggering the air ..... those where the older paintguns with the cup underneath i dont know if that works on the newer guns with gravity feed

That's what I do to my gun then take it apart to make sure it's clean.

daverod 12-26-2010 11:01 PM

I did fill it up with thinner I just never took the tip off and cleaned the needle thing. I think a piece of teflon tape got stuck in there some how. I cleaned them good with some fresh thinner ready for round two. Well, as soon as I go get some more hardner. Sanded down what I did with some 120.

Strodder 12-26-2010 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4370437)
Cool thanx. I'm thinking I'll be needing that. Got the slicksand sanded with 100 grit. Ready to spray with some g2 feather fill. I love spraying. How did I ever get along without a air compressor? Changed the oil out yesterday. Need to go to HF and get a air chiesel today.;) Heating my spray room up as we speak. Wonder if I should get a Imlala dash harness?

Yeah why not. Good idea

AZ66GMC 12-27-2010 12:22 AM

Looking good :metal::metal:

I like the simple notch. I'm thinking about the same for my truck :ito:

That dash is way cool too!

Keep up the great work and keep the pics coming :metal::metal:

Tony

daverod 12-27-2010 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4371531)
Yeah why not. Good idea

Just wondering how it would plug into the painless harness?:ito: My arms hurt. Drilled like a million holes for my notches. Pan bar really sucked should have just welded it.:uhmk:

daverod 12-27-2010 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ66GMC (Post 4371612)
Looking good :metal::metal:

I like the simple notch. I'm thinking about the same for my truck :ito:

That dash is way cool too!

Keep up the great work and keep the pics coming :metal::metal:

Tony

Take your bed off when you do it. Makes way easier. Got mine off ebay for 90 plus shipping. Plan on doing a lot of drilling. Get some good new bits.;) Easy to do. Just grunt work.:lol: Round the corners of your cuts so the frame won't crack.:uhmk:

Strodder 12-27-2010 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4371613)
Just wondering how it would plug into the painless harness?:ito: My arms hurt. Drilled like a million holes for my notches. Pan bar really sucked should have just welded it.:uhmk:

I'm sure you can splice it in. :uhmk:

AZ66GMC 12-27-2010 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4371630)
Take your bed off when you do it. Makes way easier. Got mine off ebay for 90 plus shipping. Plan on doing a lot of drilling. Get some good new bits.;) Easy to do. Just grunt work.:lol: Round the corners of your cuts so the frame won't crack.:uhmk:

Thanks for the tips. Are you welding yours up too? I was going to weld mine and just use a few bolts. Also, my drill doctor is one of my favorite tools. I've got plenty of sharp drill bits :metal:

Tony

daverod 12-27-2010 12:52 AM

Ya I'll weld the inside. I'll have to look up the drill doctor.;) I could have used the doctor today. I did put the floor jack under the drill a couple times really helped.

AZ66GMC 12-27-2010 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4371675)
Ya I'll weld the inside. I'll have to look up the drill doctor.;) I could have used the doctor today. I did put the floor jack under the drill a couple times really helped.

Huh, floor jack, I never thought of that one :metal::metal:

Tony

watahyahknow 12-27-2010 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4371468)
I did fill it up with thinner I just never took the tip off and cleaned the needle thing. I think a piece of teflon tape got stuck in there some how. I cleaned them good with some fresh thinner ready for round two. Well, as soon as I go get some more hardner. Sanded down what I did with some 120.

on the old the vilbis paintguns you could unscrew the air adjustment remove the spring and pull the needle out of the back of the gun to clean it (carefull theres a foamrubber like seal there to keep the paint from spitting out the back ) and they had a nifty tool to unscrew the nozzle itself behind the head , we had small pipebrushes to clean the nozzles if sumtin like that happened the nozzle is a precicion thing you dont stick metal objects like screwdrivers in it or you ruin it and it wil spray and sputter the weirdest patterns