The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   #3 The Sickness Continues (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=427852)

protrash64 01-16-2011 11:09 PM

Re: #3 The Sickness Continues

1 Attachment(s)
Finished my fauxtina on the tailgate; turned out pretty good for 20 bucks in rattle cans. In the light I will decide if I'm going to add some gloss clear on some places that would not have been cooked by the sun.

Also got the gutter around the roof cleaned out and put some rust converter in there. I will start prepping it tomorrow for the new seam sealer and the paint.:smoke:

daverod 01-16-2011 11:13 PM

It looks perfect. Maybe needs a few dents.;) I used a light mist of white on some mine. Then rubbed it down with steel wool till the primer showed.

lolife99 01-16-2011 11:19 PM

Tailgate paint job is awesum!

racedaddy 01-16-2011 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protrash64 (Post 4269552)
I'm from Illinois, so I know what you mean:lol:......out here the sun and heat seems to kill the seam sealer at the top of the cab and everything runs down in and they still have the typical floor pan and rocker issues.

I lived there for about 4 years and still visit my dad there every year, rust here rust there, even a 5 year old truck has rust

protrash64 01-16-2011 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4416765)
It looks perfect. Maybe needs a few dents.;) I used a light mist of white on some mine. Then rubbed it down with steel wool till the primer showed.

It was primer black to start, then primer gray. I sprayed the Satin Lagoon and it came out like some neon blue:crazy:........I dusted it with white, black, grey, and a little primer red for some rust look. Dents were already in it, Dave.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 4416789)
Tailgate paint job is awesum!

Thanx man; still debating on the roof color.

Quote:

Originally Posted by racedaddy (Post 4416809)
I lived there for about 4 years and still visit my dad there every year, rust here rust there, even a 5 year old truck has rust

I hear ya!! Living in the desert really spoils a car person. I'm shocked when I see a snowbird driving around and the car is falling apart.

protrash64 01-17-2011 08:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Another fun day of truck work.....painted the rear bumper and covered the last of the black paint. Installed my tailgate and did some roof prep work. It's self etched and ready for new seam sealer.

protrash64 01-29-2011 08:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I didn't take pics of much of this, but it's been progressing. I sealed the seam, and then shot a bunch of primer/sealer over the roof. I wet sanded it with 320 and finally got my HVLP out and shot some Duplicolor Paint Shop white. I used the detail gun and should have used the regular paint gun. It worked well but the coverage was like a spray can; not wide enough. I finally got the gun adjusted correctly and was doing good and just stopped as I had it covered. I'm going to back up and re-sand with 1500g and then spray with the bigger gun to get a completely wet coat. I didnt mess anything up or put any ugly runs in it so I am happy as I have never painted before. Here's a shot of the truck; you can see it was starting to get dark so I was out of time anyway.

protrash64 02-06-2011 05:53 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Painted all day today as it was nice outside. Wetsanded my white base coat and then shot a bunch more white on top; used the regular gun today, not the touch up gun. The Duplicolor system allows you to basically keep painting until done----so thats what I did. Did about 3 more coats of white, followed by 2 coats of metallic clear followed by the whole can of clear.:metal: It looks good for the driveway, with a couple custom bugs and some dust. :lol: Pics:

66-PMD-GMC 02-07-2011 01:01 PM

Your truck is looking good.
You should show it off at the Saturday night car show at the Kmart on Power/US 60.
There are a couple 60-66 trucks there.

protrash64 02-09-2011 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66-PMD-GMC (Post 4468997)
You should show it off at the Saturday night car show at the Kmart on Power/US 60.

I didn't know that was still going on!!:thumbs: It mite have to wait a week or so as I am planning to do a trans service and install my B&M shifter. No telling what I mite get into.

daverod 02-09-2011 09:59 PM

Paint job turned out nice.:metal: Whats up with your other truck?

protrash64 02-09-2011 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4474761)
Paint job turned out nice.:metal: Whats up with your other truck?

Well, after being under the influence of paint fumes for 1/2 the day, I got in the 'burb and fired it up!! I thought it had issues, but it was out of gas:crazy:. I was happy!!:lol: I then worked on the '64 short and did not get it fired up. It's been sitting a year so the battery did not want to take a good charge; it also back fired so loud I thought I was deaf!!:lol: A neighbor I dont even know came over to see if I was ok!!:lol:

I will be updating on those 2 trucks soon, if all continues going well.

daverod 02-09-2011 11:25 PM

:lol::lol: Good way to make new friends.:smoke:

oldblue1968chevy 02-10-2011 12:47 AM

Wow lookin really good man! Everything makes it look/perform better!

LOL @ the random neighbor

protrash64 02-11-2011 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4474970)
:lol::lol: Good way to make new friends.:smoke:

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy (Post 4475192)
Wow lookin really good man! Everything makes it look/perform better!

LOL @ the random neighbor

:lol:, both my dogs were hiding inside, too!!!

Dinos63 02-11-2011 06:38 PM

DANG I SHOULD OF BOUGHT THAT TRUCK :lol::lol: LOOKS GREAT KAT!!!

protrash64 02-11-2011 08:07 PM

Thanks Dino; I'm gonna hafta check out your 'burb sometime.......

protrash64 02-13-2011 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66-PMD-GMC (Post 4468997)

PMD.....went out to that cruise last nite. It looks pretty big from the last time I was there, but it is winter, too!!:lol: Do you know people out there??

protrash64 02-13-2011 09:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
OK, this weekend I installed the B&M Megashifter and did a trans service. The shifter part wasn't too much fun; I think it was mostly me:lol:. I did the service without too much mess and got it all ready to roll. Found out why it leaked, too. The PO cranked the bolts down so tite it pinched the gasket. The shifter is a little highwater, but I liked it all the way up when sitting in the truck. I will eventually make some kind of extension for the shifter base.

I also wanted to straighten my steering wheel as it was upside down aimed forward. Once I pulled it I realized it was pretty beat. I pulled out an old wheel I had which fit perfectly but was about 2'' larger in diameter. I got it in a box of parts when I bought my 'burb. I figured it would make the lack of power steering a little easier to deal with when driving.The projects are getting done quickly!!

Next one is on the bench; 3rd brake lite from a '96 Tahoe.....20 bucks.

66-PMD-GMC 02-13-2011 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protrash64 (Post 4482627)
PMD.....went out to that cruise last nite. It looks pretty big from the last time I was there, but it is winter, too!!:lol: Do you know people out there??

Yeah, there are a few 60-66 guys but yeah, its really growing.
I am scrambling to get my truck to a point of being able to rumble on in and park too.

protrash64 02-14-2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66-PMD-GMC (Post 4484544)
Yeah, there are a few 60-66 guys but yeah, its really growing.
I am scrambling to get my truck to a point of being able to rumble on in and park too.

Dangerous place to drive with all the snowbirds. too!!!

66-PMD-GMC 02-15-2011 08:31 AM

I went early, got a parking spot and then took the family into Kmart for pizza.
We had a fun time.:flag:
It will be nice if I ever get my extended cab project done so I can cart a couple more people around with me but that is way back on the to do list. :help:

protrash64 02-21-2011 07:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed the third brake lite today. Fairly easy to do. The hardest part was fishing over the wire, and it wasn't too bad. :smoke: Of course the dome lite was rigged in there so now I have to fix that......

shrunken66stroker 02-21-2011 11:47 PM

Damn protrash. Lookin good. I haven't been around in a while so this is my first time seeing the new addition. Impressive. Makes me want a driver. I'm always borrowing my father in laws truck because I don't have one... that runs anyway. love the third brake light. So when you going to round out the herd with a crew?:lol:

protrash64 02-22-2011 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrunken66stroker (Post 4504004)
Damn protrash. Lookin good. I haven't been around in a while so this is my first time seeing the new addition. Impressive. Makes me want a driver. I'm always borrowing my father in laws truck because I don't have one... that runs anyway. love the third brake light. So when you going to round out the herd with a crew?:lol:

Thanks man!! Being that I've worked on this constantly I'm debating if it was a good idea or not.:crazy: I dont want any more!!:lol: I'm trying to get all of these going and it's hard.