The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Forest's rebuild thread (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=625059)

forestb 11-09-2017 05:27 PM

Re: Forest's rebuild thread

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry that image got messed up

LostMy65 11-10-2017 02:23 AM

What do you think is causing the cracking?
Body filler?
Primer incompatible with paint?

forestb 11-10-2017 03:00 PM

I think it is body filler the hood roof is full of it and I think the hood has some also.

forestb 11-20-2017 01:05 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Started putting some dynomat and found some rust at the bottom of my cab corner pockets.

forestb 11-20-2017 01:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
sorry here are the pictures rotated correctly

forestb 11-20-2017 01:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
sorry that didn't work itf this doesn't work I give up

forestb 01-06-2018 06:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Making progress on the dynomat and also cleaned up the pockets behind the door and was able to remove the large clump of I don’t know what from the one side. I applied some naval jelly to both sides and will probably do another application next weekend. Both sides have a little square hole at the bottom. One side the seam is splitting a little so I will probably add some seam sealer. I got some locktight rust neutralizer that I will apply before the seam sealer and then primer and paint over it all. I am actually surprised that they are not rusted through given that every time I washed the truck before it was painted I would get watter in the drivers side pocket. I think it was leaking in from the original gas cap that is now shaved. I have covered the fire wall with dynomat and am trying to figure out if I should also put it on the cal an maybe some under the dash.

forestb 01-15-2018 05:28 PM

I put some rust converter in my rear cab corner pockets. I am worried because it said to put on a second coat with in 20 minuets and after it turns black but it never turned black. I don’t know if it’s because the first coat was too heavy or because there was some navel jelly left on the surface. I hope not the latter. I tried to clean it off the best I could considering the location. I will see how it looks next weekend. I also found some rust on the interior where the door frame connects to the floor. Another set back:(

forestb 02-03-2018 07:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Started making a speaker box in my kick board vents.

forestb 04-14-2018 08:05 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Finished installing speaker boxes/cups. Next step get interior done :metal:

forestb 04-14-2018 08:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry sideways

The Rocknrod 04-14-2018 10:21 PM

Wow those look great.

forestb 04-15-2018 04:37 PM

Thanks

forestb 04-21-2018 11:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I installed my speakers today. I was going you try and get some interior quotes this week but instead I need to figure out why my truck won’t start when it is hot.

forestb 04-23-2018 04:40 PM

I am posting this because a couple of people have asked me about it.

I created the cup using around 4 or 5 rings that I cut out of .25 in mdf that were glued and nailed together. The back of the cup was caped off using a circle cut out of .5 in mdf. I then sprayed the back side and some of the front with spray on inner fender lining. I used a set of 5.25 inch kicker ks speakers.

https://www.kicker.com/44KSC504

If I were to do it all over again I would have just created the plate that covers up the hole using a piece of .5 in mdf and then mounted a all whether marine speaker to it. That way I would not need to build the cup and I would not have to worry about moisture. Warning. I am no expert and have not tried to see how well they will sound. I did not block off the vents at all so there will still be moisture moving through. I might add some kind of screen under the cowl just to keep the crud out. Or if there is room some kind of screw on block off plate so that I can still get to my windshield wiper parts.

forestb 05-21-2018 01:45 PM

I took the truck to the mechanic to have them fix a leek in my valve cover gasket and they noticed a bigger leek in my intake manifold gasket. While in there they noticed that one of the clips came off a lifter. they replaced the lifter and went to put the rocker back on and found that there was no adjustment in the rocker. turns out that my rods are to short and allowed for no adjustment. They think that is the reason the clip came off. I have had a couple people work on my truck in the past that I have come to realize that they should not have even let them touch it. Why is it that the people that act like they are the only one that knows how to do anything are the people that know the least.

In other news. I am going to pick out the material for my interior tomorrow. He should start working on it next week.

forestb 06-28-2018 11:42 PM

Finally dropped the truck off at the interior shop today. Cant wait to see it done.

forestb 06-30-2018 11:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Did a little more work on my gauge cluster today. The little bow ties have chrome behind them and the bezel is going to be chrome.

Captainfab 07-01-2018 01:08 AM

Did you make the white panel with the bowtie cutouts or did you buy it already made??

forestb 07-01-2018 05:22 PM

I made it out of a sheet of plexiglass. We have a laser cutter at work that I used to cut it out. There is a sheet of clear plexie on top to keep the dust out of the little bow ties.

Captainfab 07-02-2018 12:00 AM

Nice work :thumbs:

forestb 07-19-2018 12:36 PM

I went to go visit my truck at the upholstery shop yesterday. I didn't take any photos because there is not much to see. Mostly padding and some carpet. But what a difference it all makes when you are inside. I only stuck my head in the door and it felt like a car instead of a tin can. It has been a while sense I have had any kind of carpet in there. He also had started cutting out and sowing together the material for the seat. All vary exciting.

forestb 08-11-2018 06:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got the truck back from interior shop on Tuesday. All and all I am pretty happy.

forestb 08-11-2018 06:33 PM

When ever I take a photo with my phone it loads fine if I hold the phone sideways. If I hold it upright the photo gets rotated when I load it

Captainfab 08-12-2018 12:56 AM

That looks very nice :thumbs:

forestb 08-12-2018 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 8320526)
That looks very nice :thumbs:

Thanks

forestb 10-14-2018 04:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I just got my vintage air ac installed. I have not tried the heat yet but cool works amazing :)

pdxhall 10-23-2018 04:11 PM

Your truck looks great. I really like your engine bay. Very clean.

forestb 10-23-2018 04:15 PM

thanks

forestb 11-13-2018 01:22 PM

So I got the truck back from the painter yesterday. He fixed the roof (so far so good)
But instead of fixing all the little cracks and dings that I asked him to do properly and was even willing to pay him for he just added a little paint and and buffed it out. Even in places where the paint had obviously detached from the mettle. He just painted around the edges and polished it. When I pointed all this out to him his only reply is you can take me to court if you want to. Needless to say I am a little angry. I am to busy moving right now to get it fixed somewhere else so I guess it will have to wait. I am beginning to understand more and more why people stick with original paint.

forestb 06-10-2019 12:20 AM

so I finally got my Bluetooth kicker audio system installed and found that the kick panel speakers were being muffled because there is no air flow in the back. So to had to drill some holes in the bottom of the cups. Hopefully no water will get in. I coated the holes with the same inner fender coating to protect the wood from moisture.

I also installed some 1 gauge battery cables and added a couple of heavy duty ground straps to try and fix the problem of the engine not starting when it is hot. It seems to be helping. I put a peace of heat sleeve around my fuel line where it gets closer to the header. I still want to wrap my starter motor in heat wrap to protect it from the header.

forestb 09-22-2019 09:37 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Been a while sense I posted. I got my gauges installed and my kicker audio controller. I also took the truck to a different painter to get all the problems that the first painter caused, fixed. He had to rebondo the entire roof. I trust this guy more than the other one. He has painted stuff for Tim Allen.

LostMy65 09-22-2019 03:25 PM

I like it.
For some reason, white gauges with black lettering is easier for me to see than white lettering on black.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1569159356
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1534026587

forestb 09-24-2019 02:10 PM

Went and checked on the progress on the truck today the roof looks really good. He showed me some pieces of paint that just pealed off. When I tried to bend it, it wouldn’t even crack. I don’t think it ever dried properly. I hope that the whole truck isn’t like that. Man did I screw up the first time.

forestb 02-29-2020 09:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I removed my old jazz fuel cell in order to make room for my new Boyd tank. And new AN 6 fuel line which will replace my old and too large AN 8 fuel line. I am not sure whether to go with braided stainless an line or stainless hard line. I have had the tank for around 15 years.

forestb 04-03-2020 08:59 PM

Fuel tank installed and Installed Russell an-6 fuel line.
It fired up and no leaks (so far). Have not gotten to drive it yet.:bann:

step65 04-06-2020 01:17 PM

Truck looks awesome. I really like my Vintage air as well. And the Boyd tanks are also built really nice both have great quality. Interior looks great.

forestb 04-06-2020 01:27 PM

Thanks. Yah the vintage air works really well. I can’t wait to use the new tank. I have not had a fuel sender that has worked correctly in years. I am also hoping that the an-6 line instead of the -8 line will help with performance. Your truck looks vary nice also.

forestb 08-01-2020 07:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I got my wheels back from power coating and installed.

Moscowmule 08-04-2020 07:28 AM

Man that is looking good