The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project '64 Cheapskate (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=446527)

CRGRS 66 08-19-2012 12:45 AM

Re: Project '64 Cheapskate

Not sure how I missed this thread before... great looking truck, and great progress
love your innovative low cost, highly effective, methods

chevyrestoguy 08-19-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 5546373)
Looks terrific! I painted our exhaust with rust bullet and a brush. Looks better and might slow down the crust, what the heck. I can't wait to see it be a roller, are you gonna put the later PS in?
Posted via Mobile Device

I have always felt that painting the exhaust is a good thing because it'll slow down the corrosion that always occurs with the hot/cold cycling that exhaust systems go through. And yes, I am using the power steering box out of the '79 Suburban that I used for the suspension. I have already drilled the frame and fitted the box using one of Capt. Fab's adapter plates. I used one of Capt. Fab's power booster adapter brackets as well. I'm really close to doing the brake system, so I'll be posting up pictures of all the brake mods as well. I'm dying to see it as a roller, but right now, I'm waiting on my axles to show up from Strange. They say I should possibly see them some time this week.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRGRS 66 (Post 5546390)
Not sure how I missed this thread before... great looking truck, and great progress
love your innovative low cost, highly effective, methods

Thank you for the compliment! I've owned lots of Chevy trucks, but ironically enough, I had never owned my favorite style (60-66) until now. I have been building this truck in my head for years. I really enjoy utilizing parts from other Chevy trucks and making it all look factory. I like hitting the wrecking yards, and love the challenge of trying to replicate an expensive mod with a minimal outflow of cash. The thread started out as a low-buck build (hence the name Cheapskate), but I have gone a bit off-track on some of the suspension mods because I want a safe, reliable truck that performs well. I have always felt that a little more money spent in the right areas pays big dividends down the road.

plainred65 08-21-2012 05:49 PM

Just came across this build, love the way you're building using a lot of what you find on hand. Can't wait to see what comes next.

likaroc13 08-21-2012 09:39 PM

great work, looking nice & clean! what paint did you use for the exhaust?

CRGRS 66 08-21-2012 11:47 PM

The Rancho adjustable shocks, can you describe to me what the adjustability is? Is it ride height, or smoothness/stiffness of ride, and how are they adjusted?

chevyrestoguy 08-22-2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plainred65 (Post 5550862)
Just came across this build, love the way you're building using a lot of what you find on hand. Can't wait to see what comes next.

Thank you, sir! It's compliments like yours that keep me plugging away at this project.
Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 5551273)
great work, looking nice & clean! what paint did you use for the exhaust?

I used VHT engine paint. The system has aluminized tubing, so it was pretty clean. I lightly sanded the pipes with a red Scotchbrite, wiped it down with acetone, sprayed the bare metal areas and all fresh welds with metal etch primer, taped off the mufflers (they are stainless steel), then sprayed the pipes with the VHT. I had to touch up a few areas after it was installed, and the VHT covered perfectly with no light/dark spots. Not too sure how durable it'll be down the road, but I can always touch it up, as needed.
Quote:

Originally Posted by CRGRS 66 (Post 5551515)
The Rancho adjustable shocks, can you describe to me what the adjustability is? Is it ride height, or smoothness/stiffness of ride, and how are they adjusted?

Those shocks were on an old project truck that Brad and I messed with last summer that eventually wound up in Australia. Once I mocked up the rear end with the drop springs, I measured full compression and extension, and the Ranchos were a perfect match to the dimensions I needed. The adjustment mechanism is a knob at the base of the shock. Full counterclockwise is the softest position. The knob turns about 3 full turns to reach full stiffness. I'm going to start at full soft first and start dialing the firmness to reach the optimum ride. With the 5" drop springs and being a longbed, I'm guessing that I'll have a bit of firmness dailed in in order to get it to ride the way I want it. I'll soon find out!

CRGRS 66 08-22-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy (Post 5551763)
Those shocks were on an old project truck that Brad and I messed with last summer that eventually wound up in Australia. Once I mocked up the rear end with the drop springs, I measured full compression and extension, and the Ranchos were a perfect match to the dimensions I needed. The adjustment mechanism is a knob at the base of the shock. Full counterclockwise is the softest position. The knob turns about 3 full turns to reach full stiffness. I'm going to start at full soft first and start dialing the firmness to reach the optimum ride. With the 5" drop springs and being a longbed, I'm guessing that I'll have a bit of firmness dailed in in order to get it to ride the way I want it. I'll soon find out!

Thanks resto guy, I would be very interested to hear about how they function, and your likes dislikes. Cheers!

chevyrestoguy 09-02-2012 09:27 PM

The axles finally came from Strange on Tuesday, so I had to wait until today to install them. The axles fit perfectly, but we had to do a little grinding on the axle retainers that Rob had made to get them to fit the way I wanted. His measurements were a little "tight", so they had to be opened up just a little.
The drum fit the axle ends perfectly. I like the Strange Engineering logo on the axle end, but unfortunately, it won't be seen when the wheels and center caps are on.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ueplate041.jpg

Got the wheels bolted up, and had to made some adjustments to the track bar and also to the bed, which was way out of alignment. Once everything got aligned just right, the truck was lowered to the ground on it's wheels for the first time in a LONG time. Needless to say, I was very happy with the results. I was going to take some more shots of the rear wheels, but the batteries in the camera died.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ueplate042.jpg

Tomorrow, I am going to finalize the rear brakes, and work on the front suspension. I would really like to have the front and rear wheels bolted on and the front end mocked up at ride height.

Alan's Classic 09-02-2012 09:41 PM

Very nice!!

C@rnut001 09-02-2012 09:48 PM

Looks great! Thanks for updating us on how good it looks. Keep up the work!

chevyrestoguy 09-03-2012 05:38 PM

As promised, I got the brakes situated and bolted up the front wheels and tires. We wound up pulling out the coils because there's no weight in the front. There is a bare aluminum block and a gutted 700r4 case sitting in the engine compartment, which is essentially no weight at all. The front tires are mock-ups, and after looking at the stance, I might go up one size to a 225/60-15 tire. I also bolted on the funky ET oval center caps. I'm really happy with the way it looks!
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ueplate045.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ueplate044.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ueplate043.jpg

The next step is to get the front steering linkage situated, get the column finished, and build the shift linkage.

CRGRS 66 09-03-2012 06:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy (Post 5572742)
As promised, I got the brakes situated and bolted up the front wheels and tires. We wound up pulling out the coils because there's no weight in the front. There is a bare aluminum block and a gutted 700r4 case sitting in the engine compartment, which is essentially no weight at all. The front tires are mock-ups, and after looking at the stance, I might go up one size to a 225/60-15 tire. I also bolted on the funky ET oval center caps. I'm really happy with the way it looks!

I love the look, truck looks awesome, but, yes you could use a little more rubber profile on the front. You say you may go to a 225/60/15, what is on there now? I have 225/60/15 on the front of mine, and plan to go to at least a 235/60, maybe even a 245/60. I am lowering the front either 2.5" or 3.5" as well. I feel that the tire profile on the front is too short compared to the rear, rear tires are 295/50/15 (kinda phatt)

chevyrestoguy 09-03-2012 06:17 PM

Right now, the tire is a 205/60-15. They were on a buddy's '71 El Camino, and I needed some tires for mock-up. I knew that they were going to be too short, but you never know until you bolt them up and get a good look from every angle.

Slammed66 09-03-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ueplate045.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ueplate044.jpg

The next step is to get the front steering linkage situated, get the column finished, and build the shift linkage.

Well. You got the stance nailed !!

Love this truck, will you be putting bumper guards on this one?
Posted via Mobile Device

LostMy65 09-03-2012 09:04 PM

That is a great shot. :thumbs:

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

Low Elco 09-03-2012 09:09 PM

Whole thing is perfect. Don't change a thing. Dead on the money.
Posted via Mobile Device

plainred65 09-03-2012 09:10 PM

Lookin sweeeet!

CRGRS 66 09-03-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy (Post 5572805)
Right now, the tire is a 205/60-15. They were on a buddy's '71 El Camino, and I needed some tires for mock-up. I knew that they were going to be too short, but you never know until you bolt them up and get a good look from every angle.

I hear you, I found out the hard way, bought new ones, oh well. Just have to sneak the bigger ones on next spring when the wife isn't looking :haha:
Seriously, love the stance though, I like the rake:metal:

kustombrad 09-03-2012 10:44 PM

The truck is coming along nicely! Bunch of dumb little things that should take 5 minutes and 2 hrs. later its fixed, but it's getting done. The front tires are actually 215/60's and are just a hair to short, 225/60's will make it perfect! Alex and I are all about wheels, tires and stance and this thing nearly thete! This truck is slammed and I really dig the rake! You guys are gonna flip when you see how this thing will be done!
Posted via Mobile Device

chevyrestoguy 09-07-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slammed66 (Post 5573117)
Well. You got the stance nailed !!
Love this truck, will you be putting bumper guards on this one?
Posted via Mobile Device

Probably not, but I have something planned for the front that you'll see in the next month or two that I think you'll like.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 5573182)
Whole thing is perfect. Don't change a thing. Dead on the money.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks! I really appreciate all of your compliments!

Quote:

Originally Posted by plainred65 (Post 5573188)
Lookin sweeeet!

Still a LOT more to come, so stay tuned!

nate95gsr 09-18-2012 08:58 PM

It is really looking good Alex.

Nate

likaroc13 09-18-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy (Post 5551763)
I used VHT engine paint. The system has aluminized tubing, so it was pretty clean. I lightly sanded the pipes with a red Scotchbrite, wiped it down with acetone, sprayed the bare metal areas and all fresh welds with metal etch primer, taped off the mufflers (they are stainless steel), then sprayed the pipes with the VHT. I had to touch up a few areas after it was installed, and the VHT covered perfectly with no light/dark spots. Not too sure how durable it'll be down the road, but I can always touch it up, as needed.

I appreciate the info! I will be using VHT on my water pump, & I've contemplated using it on the rams horn exhaust manifolds. I don't have any previous experience with the stuff, so I hope it works well for us both!

btw, i really like the wheels/stance in your pics...looking forward to more updates :)

chevyrestoguy 09-18-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nate95gsr (Post 5599912)
It is really looking good Alex.

Nate

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 5600016)
I appreciate the info! I will be using VHT on my water pump, & I've contemplated using it on the rams horn exhaust manifolds. I don't have any previous experience with the stuff, so I hope it works well for us both!

btw, i really like the wheels/stance in your pics...looking forward to more updates :)

More updates coming soon!

Dinos63 09-19-2012 12:30 AM

nailed the stance looks slick with the wheels

chevyrestoguy 09-19-2012 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinos63 (Post 5600382)
nailed the stance looks slick with the wheels

Thanks, Dino! I take that as a compliment when the King of Stance gives me his approval!:metal:

There's been a lot of work on the body in the last few weeks getting the little dents handled in preparation for the next phase, which I'm really excited about.

A lot of additional chassis work was done in the last week, but I'm going to refrain on posting pictures until I get the areas painted and detailed. A special thanks to Brad and Bob for all of their help on this!

The engine is about 60% done. I need to send the heads to a buddy to touch-up the valve seats, set the spring heights, and reassemble. It'll be a nice little 350, making about 380 horsepower by my estimation. With the 700r4 and the 3.73 gears, it'll be a nice freeway flyer.

glos55 09-19-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy (Post 5571393)
The axles finally came from Strange on Tuesday, so I had to wait until today to install them. The axles fit perfectly, but we had to do a little grinding on the axle retainers that Rob had made to get them to fit the way I wanted. His measurements were a little "tight", so they had to be opened up just a little.
The drum fit the axle ends perfectly. I like the Strange Engineering logo on the axle end, but unfortunately, it won't be seen when the wheels and center caps are on.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ueplate041.jpg

Got the wheels bolted up, and had to made some adjustments to the track bar and also to the bed, which was way out of alignment. Once everything got aligned just right, the truck was lowered to the ground on it's wheels for the first time in a LONG time. Needless to say, I was very happy with the results. I was going to take some more shots of the rear wheels, but the batteries in the camera died.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ueplate042.jpg

Tomorrow, I am going to finalize the rear brakes, and work on the front suspension. I would really like to have the front and rear wheels bolted on and the front end mocked up at ride height.

Looks Great!!! Nice Work!! :metal:

coulter 09-19-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

I'm really happy with the way it looks!

looks sweet man i dig that :metal::metal::metal:

Low Elco 09-19-2012 11:17 AM

Ok, I'll ask the pros. Yeller has a 700r4/3.08 combo, and the mileage has not been what we'd hoped. We've heard going to 3.73 puts the motor in a more efficient range, thus better mileage. We dunno. About the same hp you're talkin. Any suggestions?
Posted via Mobile Device

chevyrestoguy 09-19-2012 01:48 PM

With the 3.08 gears, you might have a condition where it's lugging the engine at highway speeds in 4th gear. Are you able to determine what your rpm is at cruising speed? The reason why I'm asking is that you may be at such a low cruising rpm that the converter is still under the stall speed (example: 1800 rpm cruise rpm with a 2500 rpm stall speed converter) and your converter is still slipping. Do you have the lock-up feature of the trans enabled? If not, having a lock-up definitely helps with fuel mileage.

What kind of fuel mileage are you getting?

Low Elco 09-19-2012 03:05 PM

Ten to Low teens, not much better than it was, if at all. Converter is stock. No tach. Lockup is engaging. Used the full BTO kit. Fresh tune up. We're just now to the sussing out stage. We can roll around, but it ain't perfect. Motor doesn't seem to be bogged down on the freeway, but that's me driving. 70-85mph. Boppa runs a bit slower, maybe that's the problem! We'll look into it further, I guess. Thanks for the reply!
Posted via Mobile Device

Greenlee 09-20-2012 12:02 AM

Sweet build! What did you end up doing about the different diameter of the gas tank inlet and filler neck? I have the same problem. Mine is a mid 80's stepside bed. I can't seem to find the right hose. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

Low Elco 09-20-2012 06:35 AM

I went to Oreilly they have some that are like distribution hubs. Take your parts/measurements and ask to go see what they have. My diameter adapter is the top rail of a chain link fence! Hey, it works!
Posted via Mobile Device

chevyrestoguy 09-20-2012 08:41 AM

I haven't hooked my filler neck up yet because I plan to pull the tank one last time and FatMat the inside of the cab for sound deadening. I did do a little research, and you're correct when you say that finding the right hose is not as easy as it seems. The first hose they brought out was about as flimsy as radiator hose and it was expensive. I wound up hitting the wrecking yards and grabbing a few original hoses. They aren't in great shape, though, and eventually I'm going to have to find the right stuff. The original ones are a thick rubber with woven fiber. It's probably the same as what the fuel trucks have on their servicing hoses, minus the outer jacket.

Another thing I have noticed when I was grabbing the original hoses was the different fuel necks. Some were plastic and some were metal. I've got one of each, but for a durability standpoint, I'm going to use the metal. I don't know why the factory would use a plastic filler neck because wouldn't static electricity be a concern?

Greenlee 09-20-2012 02:17 PM

Thanks for the replies. It seems there must have been a lot of changes with fuel filler setup from the 60's up through the 80's. I apparently have dual tank fenders from different years because the setup on mine is even a little different from side-to-side. I found a radiator hose with the right bends that looked like it was going to work, but that's when I discovered each end was a different diameter. :waah: I found new ones in LMC for a fleet-side bed, but not for a step-side.

sean1969c10 09-22-2012 10:13 AM

NAPA has the filler neck hose made from the right material.

chevyrestoguy 09-23-2012 11:23 PM

All right...I've now that I've got a little time, I'll explain what's been happening lately on the '64. In my recent postings, I attached pictures of it at ride height, and although I was jazzed about the way it looked, the control arm clearance to the ground was about 1 3/4", and that just wasn't going to fly. I did a lot of research on Dropmembers, Z'ing frames, and sectioning crossmembers, and although each one had it pros/cons, I just needed a nudge to push me in that direction. Enter Kustombrad and Bob......

I've known Brad since I was a G.I. in the Air Force back in the late '80s, and we've always thought alike when it comes to cars. Between us, we've had quite a few cool rides. For the last 20 years, Brad has always talked about wanting to "Z" a chassis on a '73-'87 truck. Once he saw how low the control arms were on my '64, he was on a mission........he was going to do his best to convince me that Z'ing the chassis on my '64 was the way to go. It took a little bit of convincing, because I wanted to carefully plan the job, but Brad already had the cutoff wheel spinning in his brain. Once I said Yes, it was headed over to Bob's house.

A little about Bob.......he's about 60yrs old with the drive and passion of an 18yr old. He is an extremely talented metal man, and has chopped more tops than I can care to count. Nothing scares him, and he was 100% ready to do the job.

Anyway, as soon as the truck was in the shop, it was carefully leveled and measured. The frame was jigged at ride height in front of and behind the crossmember.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...pscf1eb2f2.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...psdeb8233d.jpg

The area directly under the crossmember was also jigged.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...psf9621833.jpg

It was determined that the frame would be Z'd 2" up higher, and forward 1" to center the wheel in the wheel opening. Once the jigs were in place, they determined where the best place to cut the frame would be. In the rear, the frame makes an inward taper, so you have to take that into account. Also, you want to ensure that you cut behind the upper shock stud. You want every bit of the crossmember, including steering and shocks to move up as a complete assembly.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps83729e1a.jpg
The front cuts have to be carefully planned out, because you have a few things to concern yourself with. First, the steering box. Everything in the steering box area starts to get tight, namely the radiator. You have to plan your cut where it's just forward of the steering box and just aft of the radiator saddles.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...psdb1c0f97.jpg
In this shot, you can see how close the radiator is. You still have good clearance because the radiator is secured on the top and bottom.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps22a9bd5a.jpg

dr69burb 09-23-2012 11:35 PM

wow looks good guys

chevyrestoguy 09-24-2012 12:06 AM

Now, once you're satisfied with the cuts, it's time to start stitching it all back together. The frame is going to be plated with 3/16ths steel plate on both sides of the frame rails, but the frame needed to be joined first. The cut gaps were measured, and small intersection plates were welded in place.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps87ed96c7.jpg

After that, the boxing plates were cut and welded in place. Here is the passenger side outside plate. There is another place just like this welded to the inside of the frame rail as well. So, if you're keeping score, there's THREE pieces of 3/16's plate (two plates and the original frame) at every area where the frame was cut.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps1d9f5095.jpg

Here's a shot of the boxing plate on the passenger side front frame rail. Again, there's another plate on the side of this area as well.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps45c7b92e.jpg

Now that the frame was in place, it was time to address the engine. From the beginning, the plan was to leave the engine in it's original location and only bring the crossmember up. The reason for this is that you don't have to mess with the trans crossmember, and plus, I had already built all my shims to get my pinion angle where I wanted it. So, this meant that the motor mounts had to be relocated down 2" on the crossmember. This was one of the more challenging parts of the job. This meant that the engine mount stands had to be shortened. If you remember, I did an earlier mod to where I could use the engine mount stands from my '79 Suburban donor, which has the superior clamshell-style mounts. In this picture, you can see the surgery that had to be done. To help get the engine lower, the original bolt hole in the clamshell for the long attach bolt was moved up about an inch. The clamshells were also trimmed up, and this picture was taken before that was done. Also, because of the fact that the wheelbase was moved forward 1" to center the wheels in the fender openings, the motor mounts had to be moved 1" to the rear to keep the engine in it's original location. Disregard the groovy green clamshells, I got them from a guy who painted his entire engine engine that color. Yeah, it was ugly......
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps50912f82.jpg

Here's a picture of the steering box bolted to check for fit and also to get the steering linkage positioned exactly where I wanted it.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...psa2723ab7.jpg

Speaking of steering linkage, I came to the conclusion that the '79 Suburban frame was taller than the '64's frame. I discovered this when I went to attach the drag link to the frame. I got the steering linkage leveled, and perfectly in-line with the tie rods, and the drag link was way too low. I remedied this by drilling another hole in the link and attaching it to the frame.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...psa095b051.jpg

Another area that needed a little bit of attention was the swaybar. The sway bar attach brackets that I got from Early Classic would not work because the rear attach hole was now hanging in the air because the area that it originally attached to was now 2" higher. Because the crossmember was moved forward 1", that was a very good thing, because the bar was now also 1" farther forward. I redrilled the front rails for the swaybar bushing fittings, and it'll now bolt directly to the frame. You can see it in this picture. You can also see that a new steering u-joint was installed to attach my column to the box.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps03a6a64b.jpg

The chassis is now at the point of getting blown back apart and cleaned and painted chassis black. The inner fenders will also need to be trimmed, and I'll post up pictures when I get to that point.

*****I have to give a HUGE thanks to Kustombrad and Bob for all of their hard work on this. I was away at work for 80% of the job, and those two maniacs deserve the credit for the work that was done. They did a great job. And oh yeah, it only took Brad 20 years to find out if his idea of Z'ing a chassis would turn out right!*****

chevyrestoguy 09-24-2012 12:18 AM

Not done yet.....

While the truck was at Bob's, he couldn't help himself. Seeing all of those dents was driving him nuts, so he and Brad broke out the hammers and fixed a bunch of dents and then Bob installed the patch panel on the front fender.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps3697eae5.jpg

Also, I got a rear lower bedside patch panel from a member on the site (LT1 Burb), and Bob fitted it as well
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps7522dd91.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...pse47a2c07.jpg

If you notice, the ugly gaping holes where the fuel access doors used to be are gone, too!!
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...psfb8a006f.jpg

That's enough for tonight. I'll post up more pictures soon. Still a lot more to do!

LostMy65 09-24-2012 12:32 AM

The patches look really nice.