The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Heavy Haulers (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=239)
-   -   69 c50 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=780492)

Airdirect 02-16-2019 12:49 AM

Re: 69 c50

2 Attachment(s)
My truck has a Detroit Diesel 4-53T which is governed at 2,500 rpm. The original 5.29 rear topped out at 59 mph. I was targeting gearing it so I could run 70 mph. At 65 mph I am guessing 2,300 (do not have a tach). I purchased the ring gear and pinion from LKQ heavy truck parts. I think it cost me around $500.00 plus shipping. I did the swap myself, not a hard job. I have not hauled much of a load on it yet, the heaviest load was a 1999 3/4 ton diesel Suburban. When it had the 5.29 rears we never had to shift. Drove it through the mountains of Colorado with no problem. It was just a cab and chassis. The 4-53T detroit diesel is only 170 hp, but appears to be very adequate for my plans. I will be hauling an antique tractor (8,200 lbs).

Pvmt-Pndr 02-16-2019 01:03 AM

Good looking truck and tractor! Now I want to run outside and look so I can see what options I have :lol:
That's not a bad price for a gear! As someone said there's 50 years worth of upgrading these trucks and I just have to figure out what has been figured out that suits my needs. So far everyone has been great here at helping me along my way and I hope to be a help one day too, thank you guys

Airdirect 02-16-2019 04:25 PM

Very interested in what rear axle you have, it might be the Eaton variety given it is a 23,000 lb rear. Here is a link to my build thread, the title says A/C conversion however it ended up being my build thread.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=721374

Pvmt-Pndr 02-17-2019 02:19 PM

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/...217_130316.jpg

Maybe some of you guys can help me decipher what a couple of those things are. What is the whl limiting valve?

Airdirect 02-17-2019 03:47 PM

The wheel limiting valve is a toggle air valve located on the dash to limit front brakes when you have a trailer. Bobtail (empty) you want the front brakes but with a fifth wheel trailer it will increase the tendency to jackknife so you limit or turn off the front wheel brakes.

Looks like you have an Eaton 17221 (17 series), 6.50 high, 8.87 low ratios, basically same as mine except it is setup for air brakes.

You might want to run the numbers and see what a 5.29 high ratio will do for you, my ring and pinion set is like new with only 46,000 miles on it.

Here is a link where you can download the maintenance/overhaul manual for your rear.

http://www.eaton.com/ecm/idcplg?IdcS...ILE&dID=270938

Airdirect 02-17-2019 03:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The truck was definitely a factory 5th wheel truck. Need to find a good single axle lowboy trailer with 15" wheels and dovetail.

Airdirect 02-17-2019 04:32 PM

Floor mat for your truck:

Classic Truck Parts:

39-033 Floormat-Small Hump 67-72

Pvmt-Pndr 02-17-2019 06:20 PM

Thank you for the info! Man I'd love to have a trailer like that! Imagine how awesome that would look driving down the road with the wife's truck in tow! I really need a trailer bigger then that but when we're only hauling her truck that would be absolutly perfect.

A rubber floor mat is definatly on the list too once I do a little sound proofing on it.

I'm going to pick up a set of headers for it right now. They're used but I figured since I have to pull the manifolds off to replace the gaskets I may as well upgrade while I'm at it

Airdirect 02-17-2019 10:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Check out this link:

https://www.truckntrailer.com/for-sa...lowboy-trailer

Pvmt-Pndr 02-18-2019 01:33 AM

That's a great trailer and I'd love to get it. I found one for $2k believe it or not. I'm not jumping on getting another trailer just yet though. I need to get the truck in shape before I do that. I'm giving myself until spring of next year to get it wrapped up. I'll be going back to work next Monday so the cash flow will be coming back in so I can gather parts. Once the weather breaks here I'll be out there a lot.

Pvmt-Pndr 02-27-2019 06:36 PM

Alright guys I've been gone but doing lots of research. I've decided I'm going to get a different rear end and swap the gears. I've found a few with 4:88 high gears. At 3200 rpm that will give me a top speed of 78 mph. 95% of my cruising speed will be at 65 mph and 2675 rpm. That should keep me in the torque just enough, if not no big deal that's why there is lower gears. I still have to find what the matched low gears will be with the high 4:88s. There wasn't any info on the rear ends I found all they stated was the high gear.

The Dr put me off for another 4 weeks but once I'm back that will be the first big thing I buy for it followed by tires and the rest will be nickle and dime things.

Nobighurry 02-27-2019 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pvmt-Pndr (Post 8476067)

The Dr put me off for another 4 weeks but once I'm back that will be the first big thing I buy for it followed by tires and the rest will be nickle and dime things.

Haha. Nickle and dime things!!! That's a good one.

Pvmt-Pndr 02-27-2019 06:46 PM

There's a hidden junk yard right down the road from me. People who have lived in my area for 20 years have never known about it. They have a few 67-72 chevys in there. I bought a running econoline with a running (with some work) 460. I went there to look for parts for my wife's truck a couple years ago. I think if I'm up for it tomorrow I'll have a gander and see if he has anything I could use for my truck. I couldn't use anything from them for the wife's truck but her truck and mine are at completely different ends of the spectrum.

$5k total including the cost of the truck is still my personal number that I don't mind having into the truck to make it a truck I can jump in, hook anything to and drive anywhere I want to go. After $5k are just things that I want to do to it to personalize it for me... I'm a guy who had a completely "bulletproof" billet transmission in my Cummins for piece of mind... then I broke it!! :lol::lol::lol:

Pvmt-Pndr 03-05-2019 02:49 PM

I haven't done a lot but what I've done has been a success. I checked all of the wiring for the lights and the wiring is all good for now. I will need to buy brake light housings so I'll just go LEDs once I find a set I like. 95% of the lights on the truck now work. The factory speedometer works like a champ! I even got the tach working too!! Once I get the fuel gauge and oil pressure gauge working all the factory gauges will be in working order. Still no hazards or turn signals yet. It's not much but it's progress!

Nobighurry 03-05-2019 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pvmt-Pndr (Post 8480539)
I haven't done a lot but what I've done has been a success. I checked all of the wiring for the lights and the wiring is all good for now. I will need to buy brake light housings so I'll just go LEDs once I find a set I like. 95% of the lights on the truck now work. The factory speedometer works like a champ! I even got the tach working too!! Once I get the fuel gauge and oil pressure gauge working all the factory gauges will be in working order. Still no hazards or turn signals yet. It's not much but it's progress!

Brothers trucks.com sells a repair kit for the hazards and turn signals. Pretty easy replacement under steering wheel. Itll cost you a dime though. Haha

Pvmt-Pndr 03-05-2019 03:09 PM

I almost forgot the wipers work now too!

I book marked that site, thanks. I didn't find the exact one I need yet but I'm sure it's only gonna be a nickle :rolleyes:

Nobighurry 03-05-2019 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pvmt-Pndr (Post 8480551)
I almost forgot the wipers work now too!

I book marked that site, thanks. I didn't find the exact one I need yet but I'm sure it's only gonna be a nickle :rolleyes:

I've used brothers and lmc quite a bit. Both have been great.

Pvmt-Pndr 03-05-2019 03:32 PM

It's been too cold here and with my poor circulation I haven't been able to really dig into it like I want to so I can make a solid list of what I need and want. I have been also looking at small sleepers for it. I think something around 36" or so should be pretty good. I have never liked a standard cab. My wish list is growing daily haha