The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   "Slowly but Surely" Big J's build thread... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=264226)

Big J 02-26-2008 05:18 AM

Re: "Slowly but Surely" Big J's build thread...

3 Attachment(s)
Wow, all kinds of posts today on the Blazer board. I figure I'd better post a pic of what little I did, lol. I put the drivers door on. Thats mostly it, :lol:. I have some adjusting to do but its not far out. I put the plate around the door latch on the passenger door too. Got the hinges off, just need to rebuild them.

Big J 02-28-2008 09:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Got the hinges rebuilt tonight for the passenger door. Man that top hinge gave me fits. I used a torch to heat it and everything, even busted out the BFH! Ended up bending the hinge, good thing I had several laying around. I broke a punch too... It wasn't until I got to the third hinge that I was able to get it apart...... The door lined up pretty nice. I still have some adjusting to do but for the most part they look good. I plan on mounting up the outer rockers this weekend.

Big J 02-28-2008 10:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I almost forgot about the goodies!!! Heres all the stuff to get it ready for paint. Primers, filler, cleaner, primer gun, metal prep, sand paper, dura-blocks...... Gettin' there, "Slowly but Surely", :lol:.

49m 02-28-2008 10:29 PM

Where did you get your paint supplies and how much did they cost

Big J 02-29-2008 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 49m (Post 2600826)
Where did you get your paint supplies and how much did they cost

I got them from a place in Lousiville called Finishmaster 4350 Robards Lane, Suite B Louisville, KY 40218 (502)458-9002. Ask for Mike. All the stuff you see is just to get primer down and ready to paint. I'll pm you the rest....

49m 02-29-2008 06:26 AM

Thanks

Big J 02-29-2008 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 49m (Post 2601572)
Thanks

No problem....

Well with the advice a wisdom filled fellow board member I started pulling out and installing my new body mount set on this old frame. I really want the doors and outer rockers to line up the best they can so add one more step to this slow process:lol::lol::lol:. I should have all that done tomorrow night. I'm really wanting to get my outer rockers on so I can call the floors done!!!! Then on to the bedsides....

Chevyman63 02-29-2008 04:27 PM

Way to go Big J, great progress!

Big J 03-04-2008 07:44 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Well this ended up being one of those weekends with lots of projects to do.... Not including the Blazer, lol.... I did get the doors all lined up nice and straight..... A shim here and a shim there along with some adjusting at the hinges... They came out nice... to me anyways, :lol:. I started fitting the drivers outer rocker. I've got it close to welding in. Hopefully I'll get some time this week to knock both of those out.

Big J 03-08-2008 09:40 AM

I haven't got much done...... The drivers outer rocker is ready to weld on. I'm going to throw a fender on to make sure but it looks pretty good right now. Maybe this weekend I'll actually get something done. I've been tinkering with a couple new mowers we picked up... Ones a John Deere 400 and the other is a Cub Cadet 2135. Fun stuff. Tinkering that is, not mowing, that just sucks :lol:. Neighbors giving me a hard time. I've got a mower collection going on, JD GT275, 216, 210, and the Cub 2135
I like lawn mowers, I really want a small tractor, oh well. Thats way down on the list. I've still got to pick up a new grill and paint and tires and etc......... It'll be worth all the blood, sweat, and tears when I get to drive it. Yes there were tears, lol.... After bloodying my knuckles I wasn't able to wipe the sweat out of my eyes quick enough so I teared up, :lol:.

Burt4x4 03-08-2008 07:38 PM

Keep going :metal:
Looks like the factory green on your firewall is the same as mine was.
:mm:

vtblazer 03-09-2008 03:54 AM

Doors look like they came out great, nice job.

What's next after the floors are finished?

Big J 03-09-2008 07:54 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Burt4x4 (Post 2615768)
Keep going :metal:
Looks like the factory green on your firewall is the same as mine was.
:mm:

I'm tryin'... Friggin' mig, fought with it all day.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 2616427)
Doors look like they came out great, nice job.

What's next after the floors are finished?

Well a P.O. cut off the bottom edges of the rear wheel wells, so probably fixing that. Then some dent work. Glad you like the doors. Hangin' doors by yourself is fun.....

I got the drivers rocker done today and the passengers ready to weld up. I'd got more done if my mig hadn't been acting funny. Maybe tomorrow it will cooperate:lol: I also had to go play in the snow with the JD... We're supposed to end up with 6-13" of the white stuff.

jaros44sr 03-09-2008 09:08 AM

Try checking amps and volts, maybe something is sucking some of your current away....Dang PO's:lol:

Chevyman63 03-09-2008 09:46 AM

Looking good man!

Big J 03-10-2008 07:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well my mig worked great today.... Not sure what was going on yesterday. Its on its own circut so...... hmmm. Oh well, lol... I got the passenger rocker done. Yay!!!! floors are done!!!!!! I started on passenger wheel well while I had everything laying there. Its tacked in place and looks like it will turn out nice. I had to play in snow today, lol, we got like 14" and some big drifts. Theres 2-3 foot surrounding my little car.

jaros44sr 03-10-2008 08:22 AM

Looks good J., nice to play in the workshop when the snow is on the outside...keep it up, I haven't done anything to mine in 2 weeks, so I enjoy looking at your pics.

49m 03-10-2008 06:16 PM

Yeha I hate this snow I got to go clean the work parkin lot today.

Big J 03-10-2008 11:24 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 2618368)
Looks good J., nice to play in the workshop when the snow is on the outside...keep it up, I haven't done anything to mine in 2 weeks, so I enjoy looking at your pics.

Heres some more pics for ya, lol...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 49m (Post 2618833)
Yeha I hate this snow I got to go clean the work parkin lot today.

I had fun, got to play with neighbors 4wheeler... Its got a winch/blade setup and a canvas cab..... No wind!!!!

Heres what got done this morning. Finished up the passengers wheel well. On to the drivers side, that dent is going to suck.... Probably won't mess with that until Wensday/Thursday....

Big J 03-11-2008 06:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up one of those lights out of a late model Chevy...
Not sure where to put it but I've wanted one to go under the hood of the Blazer ever since first seeing one. Don't know why, lol... Doesn't take much to make me go "Cool, look at that":lol:

Chevyman63 03-11-2008 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big J (Post 2619895)
.. Doesn't take much to make me go "Cool, look at that":lol:

I know what you mean!

Big J 03-14-2008 07:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevyman63 (Post 2620400)
I know what you mean!

Yep, I love different... The next thing to be a little different is a fuel filler door out of a late model 1/2 ton Chevy truck.

I talked to a very smart man at Hobart today and he told me what might be wrong with my mig. He said, "release the lock off the feed, lay the gun out straight from the welder, and pull the wire out with your thumb and pointer finger.... if ya can't then you have the drum to tight." Well I had the drum just a wee bit too tight. I loosened it up a little, and was just able to pull the wire out. It welds perfectly now... I don't know why it just started goofing up but oh well, its all good. It was doing better the other day but now it rocks, lol.... While I had it out I welded up the trim holes in the passenger bedside. Got something done anyways....

jamie72 03-15-2008 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big J (Post 2619895)
Picked up one of those lights out of a late model Chevy...
Not sure where to put it but I've wanted one to go under the hood of the Blazer ever since first seeing one. Don't know why, lol... Doesn't take much to make me go "Cool, look at that":lol:

what light, all i see if a freakin mess....:lol:

5150 03-15-2008 02:49 AM

Well, now that Jamie mentioned it. I wasn't going to say anything, but what light? I see a remote control truck and a dremel :)

Chevyman63 03-15-2008 03:09 AM

I saw it Big J, but then I've got an 89 so I know what they look like...I guess I cheated.

Big J 03-15-2008 08:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I figured someone was going to give me a hard time. :lol: Thats what happens when you work on your truck too much neglecting your other past times.... For those that can't see the light, lol... (now thats funny right there, you can take that two ways... can't see the light, lol) here is another pic.... Went to talk to a paint man, he's gonna teach me everything he knows. In the couple hours we B.S.'d he seems to know alot. All kinds of paint and body stuff. I've been wanting to paint my own stuff but was kinda skeered to......lol... I think I'll be doing it myself after talking to this feller.

5150 03-15-2008 08:23 AM

Now I see the light :) literally

jaros44sr 03-15-2008 05:50 PM

I saw the light a long time ago:lol:

49m 03-15-2008 09:36 PM

whos painting it. i know a couple of painter over your way.

Big J 03-15-2008 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 49m (Post 2627748)
whos painting it. i know a couple of painter over your way.

I'm thinking me, lol. But that is still up in the air. Send me a pm of who you recommend.

jamie72 03-16-2008 03:46 AM

i hope your at least going to claen that light up a little, going to look kinda out of place with all that new paint...imho i think the hardest part of paint is shooting it..get the gun set right, then practice... i got a couple you can paint for me, i won`t charge you too much..lol

Huck 03-16-2008 04:24 AM

toughest part of painting--is the prep and the patience to let stuff setup right. I can't do either!! My body work looks like chunky peanut butter spred with a spoon. My paint--either fish eyes, runs, oversprey, moisture, too cold, too hot, wrong primer, etc. etc.
I think I like primer!!

Big J 03-17-2008 07:38 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamie72 (Post 2628151)
i hope your at least going to claen that light up a little, going to look kinda out of place with all that new paint...imho i think the hardest part of paint is shooting it..get the gun set right, then practice... i got a couple you can paint for me, i won`t charge you too much..lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huck (Post 2628182)
toughest part of painting--is the prep and the patience to let stuff setup right. I can't do either!! My body work looks like chunky peanut butter spred with a spoon. My paint--either fish eyes, runs, oversprey, moisture, too cold, too hot, wrong primer, etc. etc.
I think I like primer!!

I ain't skeered, for now anyways, lol.... Maybe when I see the runs, fish eyes and overspray:lol::lol::lol:

Some more rust fixed today. Knockin' some stuff out this weekend. Hope to knock a bunch more out tomorrow!!!

Chevyman63 03-17-2008 06:01 PM

Good progress Big J.

And I agree...I'm going to paint mine myself as well! :metal:

Big J 03-18-2008 07:21 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevyman63 (Post 2630348)
Good progress Big J.

And I agree...I'm going to paint mine myself as well! :metal:

I know technique and practice has alot to do with painting. All of the painters I've talked too suggest buying a good gun, Sata or Iwata. Thats some serious dough for a tool I'll only be using every once in awhile. But then I think 1000.00 for a nice gun and supplies or 2500.00-5000.00 for a professional to do it. I think I'll be buying a nice gun, lol.

Heres what got done today. I repaired the firewall, welded in some trim holes, fixed the front lip of the wheel well, and started banging out the dent. I brought it way out from where it was, take a look at post #179 to see the difference. Now its time to bust out the stud welder to finish it off. I'm going to make a clamp of sorts to try and pull out some dents without all the drama of the slide hammer. I'm going to use leverage instead of blunt force like the hammer does. We'll see if it works.

49m 03-18-2008 09:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
You can get a good paint gun threw east wood for about $350. Heres some cars my dad painted at home in the garage. The tractors are what i have painted and turned out good. They were painted with the gun we bought from east wood,

Big J 03-20-2008 06:30 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I need some advice here. I think I have down what I need to do but I'd like to make sure before I do it, lol. I tried to pull the bedside dent out with studs. Its not going well.... I'm going to cut out/unbolt the piece that goes along the upper inside of the wheel well. Its bent in too. I figure if I fix the bedside then bang the upper piece into place it should work. Any opinions?

Big J 03-21-2008 07:04 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I wish I had more knowledge on dent work. Its coming out and is probably fine. But it'll bug me to no end unless I get it perfect, lol.... Its 90% better than it was. Oh well, I'll keep on it. I've got some new rubber coming so I've pulled my stock wheels to blast and paint. Chime in if you have any opinions on the dent, good or bad. Any tips would be great.

5150 03-21-2008 07:30 AM

Hey J, Ron and I are coming up tomorrow to Huck's to pick up that blazer. Do you need anything from SOKY Classics that we could pick up for you and save you a trip.

Sorry, it's short notice. It just hit me to think about asking.

Do you live close to Huck?

72lb4x4 03-21-2008 10:20 AM

Hey, Big, that dent looks kind of tough to describe.

From what I've read, you work dents from where they (originally) start out (point of impacl), and/or from worst to less er, bad.

The idea is, that you/me beat out the creases and the bows come out on their own.

you appear to have a nasty crease with no start or end. tap on both ends and hope for the best?

I keep pounding body parts and the damage is different, but not better...