The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Nik's 62 build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=680841)

62stepside longbox 03-24-2017 06:58 PM

Re: Nik's 62 build

1 Attachment(s)
Spent a couple hours beating away at the passengers side and finally got them out, I then wire brushed the trailing arms and inside the holes and put on a little rust paint where the axle mounting pads sit. Before I install the rear end I will apply some anti seize to the ubolts. While I was under the truck I made a little discovery. I found that one of my coil springs is cracked right at the base. So it looks like I'll be in the market for new springs.

RANDY COX 03-24-2017 08:55 PM

Hey, you done a good job on that radiator support patch, let me guess it was the passenger side that was rotted.. from the battery acid...that's the same place where mine was and I just patched it like you did couldn't see getting a new one since that was the only place...keep up the good work...

62stepside longbox 03-25-2017 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RANDY COX (Post 7895689)
Hey, you done a good job on that radiator support patch, let me guess it was the passenger side that was rotted.. from the battery acid...that's the same place where mine was and I just patched it like you did couldn't see getting a new one since that was the only place...keep up the good work...

Thanks randy, and yes the drivers side had no rust at all which had me scratching my head for a bit. But that makes complete sense about the battery acid leaking down, on vehicles of this age most of them seem to have rusted out battery trays for that exact reason.

AJCK87 03-25-2017 12:35 AM

Right on Nik! Looking forward to seeing you rig on the road. Hopefully I can get out to the Okanagan this summer, I will definetly drop you a line. Keep it up, in the home stretch now :metal:

62 Barnfind 03-25-2017 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62stepside longbox (Post 7895551)
Spent a couple hours beating away at the passengers side and finally got them out, I then wire brushed the trailing arms and inside the holes and put on a little rust paint where the axle mounting pads sit. Before I install the rear end I will apply some anti seize to the ubolts. While I was under the truck I made a little discovery. I found that one of my coil springs is cracked right at the base. So it looks like I'll be in the market for new springs.

Make sure you get the new mounting plates and bolts. i had to cut one of my springs out and pound out the long bolt. Now you can order the the drop size you want and lower the front to match.

62stepside longbox 03-25-2017 10:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by AJCK87 (Post 7895895)
Right on Nik! Looking forward to seeing you rig on the road. Hopefully I can get out to the Okanagan this summer, I will definetly drop you a line. Keep it up, in the home stretch now :metal:

Thanks Anthony! I'm really wanting to see it on the road as well, shouldn't be long... Looking forward to hopefully seeing you this summer!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62 Barnfind (Post 7896000)
Make sure you get the new mounting plates and bolts. i had to cut one of my springs out and pound out the long bolt. Now you can order the the drop size you want and lower the front to match.

I was actually wanting to keep it stock height as I do a lot of fishing and dirtbiking in remote areas that require some ground clearance and beefier tires (the reason I got the Dunlop rover m/t's).

Today I got my new ubolts and bolted in the rear end, it's a great relief to see that all my measuring and welding was done properly and it all went together super smoothy. I then put the wheels on and put the truck back on the ground.

62stepside longbox 03-26-2017 09:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Worked on getting some small odds and ends ready on the engine, installed a few small parts. Put in the distributor and picked up some new plug wires, I had to trim a couple of them but other than that they worked perfectly. All I need to do is clean, paint and install the oil filter system and lines and it'll be ready to fire up! :metal:

62stepside longbox 03-28-2017 07:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yesterday was a sanding day, lots of sanding. And today was a painting day. I stripped the radiatior, and sanded the hood latch piece, the front filler panels and the old 6 lug wheels. Obviously now that my truck is 5 lug I have no need for these 6 lug wheels, but I didn't pay anything for them as they came on the truck and I only paid $100 for the pretty much new whitewalls. So the plan was to sand and clean them completely, mask off the tires and paint them gloss black and then clean up the tires really well and put them for sale. I'm thinking I should be able to get about $500 for them which will free up some cash for other truck parts:metal:. So here are the wheels painted up, I just need to give the tires a good clean and post them for sale.

62stepside longbox 03-28-2017 07:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the hood latch and filler panels all painted up.

62stepside longbox 03-28-2017 07:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And here is the radiatior all painted up

62stepside longbox 03-28-2017 07:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One of my buddies that was building a truck for someone ordered a few parts for a 250 six cylinder, but the customer changed his mind and wanted a v8. So he had no need for this part and have it to me. It's a upper rad hose for a 63-66 which is clearly too long but part of it has the same curve as the original 62 hose.

Classic v6 GMC's 03-28-2017 07:29 PM

Parts look nice!!

62stepside longbox 03-28-2017 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And here is the hose cut to fit. This will be the last update for the next few days as tomorrow I'm driving a few hours to the coast to do some fishing, but I'll be sure to make some progress before school starts back up.

SSpeed66 03-29-2017 01:10 PM

I bought those WW's you linked to me a while back for $200, they are on older 6 lug rims with the clips for the caps. I got a good score there !

62stepside longbox 03-30-2017 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classic v6 GMC's (Post 7899444)
Parts look nice!!

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSpeed66 (Post 7900139)
I bought those WW's you linked to me a while back for $200, they are on older 6 lug rims with the clips for the caps. I got a good score there !

Yes that was a great deal! I'll be posting these for sale soon and I'll see what I can get for them.

62stepside longbox 03-31-2017 10:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got back from my trip this evening and had time to bolt in the radiatior, front filler panels and hood latch. All is looking good. As you can see I haven't bothered to get rid of the lightbulb mounted on the hood. I've actually been using it to work at night :lol:

TJ's Chevy 04-01-2017 01:06 AM

Nice job man! I had the day off school for spring break and spent a good portion of the day working sanding the interior firewall and floor of the 66's cab. Tomorrow(saturday) morning I should be priming and painting. Have to be somewhere around noon so not sure on the paint....but primer none the less! :bann:

Palf70Step 04-01-2017 06:20 PM

Looks good !! :metal:

The light-bulb is CHARACTER! :lol:

62stepside longbox 04-01-2017 10:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy (Post 7902878)
Nice job man! I had the day off school for spring break and spent a good portion of the day working sanding the interior firewall and floor of the 66's cab. Tomorrow(saturday) morning I should be priming and painting. Have to be somewhere around noon so not sure on the paint....but primer none the less! :bann:

Thanks Tj, good to hear you're making progress as well!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 7903414)
Looks good !! :metal:

The light-bulb is CHARACTER! :lol:

Thanks Bill, the lightbulb is one of those things that puts a smile on everyone's face, so it will likely be staying.

I decided to try to make the power steering high pressure hose instead of trying to find one with the correct fittings. The metal part of the line had a 90 degree bend in it and was far too long, so I straightened it out and cut it to the correct length.

62stepside longbox 04-01-2017 10:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I then made a nice Double inverted flare on the end and put the correct bend in the line. Here it is installed.

62stepside longbox 04-02-2017 08:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Today was the last day of my springs break, so I decided to get a few things done. First I cleaned all the grease and crap off of the oil filter canister and metal lines and painted them black. I wanted to leave the original sticker so I taped it off to preserve it while painting. Here is the finished product.

62stepside longbox 04-02-2017 08:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The top was aluminum so I just left it raw and polished it.

62stepside longbox 04-02-2017 08:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I wanted to do something a little more fun so I decided to install the gun rack I picked up a while back. Here is my 1970 slavia 620 testing it out.

TJ's Chevy 04-02-2017 11:03 PM

Nice!! Yeah, today is my last day of Spring break to. :waah:

62stepside longbox 04-03-2017 11:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy (Post 7904767)
Nice!! Yeah, today is my last day of Spring break to. :waah:

Thanks buddy, going back to school today was a bit of a drag, but I guess I'll live through it:lol:

Today's project was to get the proportioning block mounted. I chose to mount it to the frame rail area below the brake booster. I welded two bolts on to the frame.