The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   53 Surburban "Family Truckster" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=605484)

youngrodder 06-16-2020 07:42 AM

Re: 53 Surburban "Family Truckster"

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 84blaze (Post 8758570)
Marc, have you decided on a set of wheels yet?

Yeah I'm pretty sure I've decided on this US Mags wheel that I will probably have fully powder coated in a unique (titanium/cast aluminum) color. I wont pull the trigger until the body goes back on and I can confirm the BS with a fitment tool. This is backwards to most people. Most people build the truck around the wheels. I have a hard time deciding on the "right" wheel so it is normally the last thing I purchase. This is the same thing I did with my 48 I built. I already have the tires tho.

Marc

olcarguy 06-16-2020 08:46 PM

looking good.....

84blaze 06-17-2020 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 8758593)
Yeah I'm pretty sure I've decided on this US Mags wheel that I will probably have fully powder coated in a unique (titanium/cast aluminum) color. I wont pull the trigger until the body goes back on and I can confirm the BS with a fitment tool. This is backwards to most people. Most people build the truck around the wheels. I have a hard time deciding on the "right" wheel so it is normally the last thing I purchase. This is the same thing I did with my 48 I built. I already have the tires tho.

Marc

Very cool - US Mags are coming out with some pretty nie looking wheels. I really like their Concave Rascle and Concave Montana!

I've been looking at Raceline - Element or Forgeline - Grudge for mine. I would have the centers colour matched to my future charcoal grey interior colour. Thinking of doing a 20x9 and 20x12 so I can get some decent sidewall. My current 22' transits have baindaid tires and are just temporary for now. I wouldnt want that small of a tire on billets!

joedoh 06-17-2020 09:04 AM

gorgeous choice, reminds me of salt flats a little.

youngrodder 06-17-2020 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 84blaze (Post 8759134)
Very cool - US Mags are coming out with some pretty nie looking wheels. I really like their Concave Rascle and Concave Montana!

I've been looking at Raceline - Element or Forgeline - Grudge for mine. I would have the centers colour matched to my future charcoal grey interior colour. Thinking of doing a 20x9 and 20x12 so I can get some decent sidewall. My current 22' transits have baindaid tires and are just temporary for now. I wouldnt want that small of a tire on billets!

Those are nice looking wheels. My friends that own the hotrod shop use Forgeline's for 99% of their builds. Yes I hear you on the tire size. My rears are 30.35" which is a big tire so I doubt I'm able to lay flat. Just like the 48 I would rather have a good look with tire/wheel size then lay flat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 8759165)
gorgeous choice, reminds me of salt flats a little.

Thanks..I had a set of US mags on my 48 and I really liked them. The down side is they were polished on the back side and they were a pain to keep clean. I'm probably picker than most but it drove me nuts. This is why I'm thinking of powdercoating the entire wheel...

jbjburbs 06-18-2020 08:19 AM

Burb looks amazing! Awesome work.

youngrodder 06-22-2020 08:12 AM

5 Attachment(s)
So I worked on a couple projects this weekend. I purchased an airbrush a week ago to add detail to further distress the paint. It has been over 20yrs since I last picked up an airbrush. I added shading and water rust marks. I also added this bottle opener to the rear. The slick thing is there is a magnet behind the panel that catches the bottle cap from hitting the ground.

The rear fenders are done. I matte cleared them after adding the detail. To add some perspective. The last pic (passenger side rear fender) was dark green when I got it. It you look at the early pics in this forum to can see how bad it contrasted.

I had a good Fathers day working on the truck and eating good grilled food with the family.

Marc

8man 06-22-2020 08:17 AM

Nice work.

oldman3 06-22-2020 11:28 AM

Looking good Marc...Jim

youngrodder 06-22-2020 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8man (Post 8761866)
Nice work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8761956)
Looking good Marc...Jim

Thanks Guys. I just need to clear the front fenders, hood and body then the body will be ready to drop back on.

Marc

ajgriffin 06-22-2020 03:05 PM

Looking good! The people need a video of this bottle opener and magnet in action :metal: Throw it at the bottom of your list...possibly even include it in a slow mo burn out video with someone opening a bottle on the back and then a thumbs up and smile after the black exclamation marks are on the ground...I don't know. Maybe I'm just dreaming :lol:

mongocanfly 06-22-2020 03:09 PM

Really nice job your doing Marc....

youngrodder 06-22-2020 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajgriffin (Post 8762071)
Looking good! The people need a video of this bottle opener and magnet in action :metal: Throw it at the bottom of your list...possibly even include it in a slow mo burn out video with someone opening a bottle on the back and then a thumbs up and smile after the black exclamation marks are on the ground...I don't know. Maybe I'm just dreaming :lol:

Yeah I take it that you saw my video on my IG page.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8762074)
Really nice job your doing Marc....

Thanks

Marc

ajgriffin 06-22-2020 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 8762084)
Yeah I take it that you saw my video on my IG page.

Marc

Actually, I haven't been on IG since 2019 sounds like there's a reason to check it out though! Is your name the same there?

joedoh 06-22-2020 07:35 PM

nice airbrush work!

youngrodder 06-22-2020 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajgriffin (Post 8762190)
Actually, I haven't been on IG since 2019 sounds like there's a reason to check it out though! Is your name the same there?

No on IG its Greenfield_speedshop

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 8762209)
nice airbrush work!

Thanks, it was fun.

youngrodder 06-22-2020 09:14 PM

5 Attachment(s)
As part of keeping with my rusty on top and finished on the bottom side. I deiced to work on the running boards. These are original running boards and in incredible shape. At first I planned to sandblast the bottom side before painting with rust guard paint followed by coating it all in raptor liner like the rest. After seeing it was just surface scale I decided to wire wheel most of it and spot sandblast the brackets and hard to reach areas.

oldman3 06-23-2020 08:47 AM

Nice...Jim

84blaze 06-24-2020 07:47 AM

Wow, those running boards are mint! I had to replace all the hat channel supports and mounting locations on mine.

youngrodder 06-24-2020 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8762452)
Nice...Jim

Thanks Jim

Quote:

Originally Posted by 84blaze (Post 8763051)
Wow, those running boards are mint! I had to replace all the hat channel supports and mounting locations on mine.

I have an original black grill that is just as nice. I think I will run the chrome re-pop one because I want to give it a brushed finish to match the rest of the brushed bright-work. I will probably coat the running boards with raptor liner this weekend. My family leaves tomorrow for 5 days so I see a lot of garage time in my future.

Marc

youngrodder 06-29-2020 09:19 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Pretty productive weekend. I got the last of the sheet metal coated on the backside with Raptor liner. I added it to the front fenders, the front splash pan and the running boards. Only the backside of the hood it next.

My friend Josh that is a fabricator at my friends hotrod shop came over Sunday to lend a hand. He as been helping me fab an exhaust system out of 2.5" SS with Hooker Blackheart mufflers. We also set my pinon angle to verify clearances of the drive shaft to the exhaust. He has just about got the more difficult part handled. He fits onsite and welds at the shop....Comes back and repeats the process. Once the exhaust is done I will drop the body back on...

I will get some pics of the Raptor Lined body parts.

Marc

8man 06-29-2020 09:20 AM

Wow! That's nice.

joedoh 06-29-2020 10:32 AM

nice fab! he sets up at your place and constructs at his place, sounds like that is inexpensive haha what price glory though?

youngrodder 06-29-2020 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8man (Post 8765838)
Wow! That's nice.

Thanks man

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 8765875)
nice fab! he sets up at your place and constructs at his place, sounds like that is inexpensive haha what price glory though?

He came over first and told what to by like (6) J bends, (4) 90 degree and v bands and such. The he comes back with the tacked pieces and confirms before welding. The hotrod shop is 10 minutes from my house. I have over $800.00 in parts alone (mufflers included). I'm not sure what my buddy will charge me. It's outstanding quality work and like anything you pay for quality. The way I look at it, I didn't have to barrow a trailer, load the chassis and haul it to someone else to work on and then repeat. There is a cost in my time as well which is being saved.

Marc

mongocanfly 06-29-2020 11:31 AM

Looks good Marc...