The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773345)

Chevys4life 03-21-2021 10:34 AM

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

2 Attachment(s)
Well..............I got the bottom done yesterday. Now I need to put the two together and come up with a seat!!!!:lol:

NewBayColony 03-21-2021 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8897330)
Special order . No paint codes anywhere but I had the interior guned by my paint guy. Came back as Placer gold part of the Husky package that University Chevrolet in Seattle offered . Outside has had a repaint and they used Ochre but the inside of the bed firewall and interior are the original .

In the pic dash looks dark because of the lighting . The kickpanel is more accurate as to color

Ok now I see it. I like it. It's different.

72c20customcamper 03-21-2021 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevys4life (Post 8897377)
Well..............I got the bottom done yesterday. Now I need to put the two together and come up with a seat!!!!:lol:

Lookin great so far

Chevys4life 03-21-2021 01:46 PM

Thanks!!!!

Canuckvetter 03-21-2021 07:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I freshened up some 67 P01 wheel covers. The far right is an original I got off member “Already Gone”.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...1&d=1616370474

rustytruck50 03-21-2021 11:10 PM

Made a 260 mile round trip for a set of '08 Tahoe 5 spoke 20s for the Sierra...snagged a good deal & 20mpg to boot!

Happy_dan 03-22-2021 06:35 AM

Some great stuff in this thread.

I installed the crank, pistons, cam and timing set on my engine rebuild.

30772 03-22-2021 11:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Raptor Lined bed on my 72 project (3/21/21)...

67C10Step 03-26-2021 09:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Drove to OKC and picked up a new bed box for the stepside project. Great place and easy pickup.

3757chevy 03-27-2021 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67C10Step (Post 8899880)
Drove to OKC and picked up a new bed box for the stepside project. Great place and easy pickup.

Cool !! Are you gonna do a build thread with assembly details? If so I'm in for watching. Are you using new fenders or your originals?

toolboxchev 03-27-2021 02:34 AM

You guys are funny, the **** you have been able to accomplish is unreasonable in my bosses eyes.

I went to the eye doctor, called in sick to work. Told my boss I have an eye problem.

He asked "what exactly is going on?"

i replied, i just cant see myself working for you today.

This **** has gone on long enough!

pjmoreland 03-27-2021 03:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed a rear shock relocator kit and went for a test drive. The rear end feels noticeably more stable and planted when hitting rough sections of road.

fb111ewo 03-27-2021 10:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got the front bumper installed today, next up - an exhaust system.

Rich72C10 03-27-2021 12:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Added a new air breather. Though I do like the stock look of the original, I like the sound better of the new one. It's not like I can look at the stock cleaner driving down the road but I can hear the new one suck in more air - especially when the Quadrajet kicks in when I go WOT!

Zoom!
PS: I think the previous owner lost the Air Cleaner rod (its a 1/4 20) that is 6 inches. It had to be really loose on the carb to even get a bite on the stock cleaner wing nut. The new one, no joy at all on getting a bite. O'Riley's didn't have anything and Lowe's only had the same 6 inch rod. So I bought that 6 inch road and a bag of couplers for some shade tree engineering. I sawed off the new rod from Lowes, put the rods together with a coupler, added extra nuts on either side with loctite it keep things from coming loose. It kind of looks "nuts" under the cover but as you can see I actually now have a bit of rod sticking up (before on the stock it was barely flush).

67C10Step 03-27-2021 12:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3757chevy (Post 8899937)
Cool !! Are you gonna do a build thread with assembly details? If so I'm in for watching. Are you using new fenders or your originals?

I’ve been considering starting a build thread. Been working on this truck for 22 months now. It’s technically road worthy but I’m not quite ready to put it on the road yet. Once I get the bed on maybe.

Thinking about mocking the bed together to verify all fitment before hitting it with epoxy primer. I’m going to use a really great set of original rear fenders. No dents and no rust. Just wish they were 67’s.

3757chevy 03-27-2021 12:20 PM

Nice! I been building mine for 24 years. :lol:

Boog 03-27-2021 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67C10Step (Post 8900090)
I’ve been considering starting a build thread. Been working on this truck for 22 months now. It’s technically road worthy but I’m not quite ready to put it on the road yet. Once I get the bed on maybe.

Thinking about mocking the bed together to verify all fitment before hitting it with epoxy primer. I’m going to use a really great set of original rear fenders. No dents and no rust. Just wish they were 67’s.

It's just cut n weld then no markers. ;)
Are you going to try to color match the bed to the other 1/2 truck until such time as it gets blown apart for a full paint?

72c20customcamper 03-27-2021 02:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 67C10Step (Post 8900090)

Not hard to make them 67's . I have a 67 on my 68 stepper was going to cut my 68 up and put in the side marker but it's a perfect fender. I wanted the spare mount so my plan is when I find a 68 spare tire fender I'll buy it and sell this one

Chevys4life 03-28-2021 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich72C10 (Post 8900084)
Added a new air breather. Though I do like the stock look of the original, I like the sound better of the new one. It's not like I can look at the stock cleaner driving down the road but I can hear the new one suck in more air - especially when the Quadrajet kicks in when I go WOT!

Zoom!
PS: I think the previous owner lost the Air Cleaner rod (its a 1/4 20) that is 6 inches. It had to be really loose on the carb to even get a bite on the stock cleaner wing nut. The new one, no joy at all on getting a bite. O'Riley's didn't have anything and Lowe's only had the same 6 inch rod. So I bought that 6 inch road and a bag of couplers for some shade tree engineering. I sawed off the new rod from Lowes, put the rods together with a coupler, added extra nuts on either side with loctite it keep things from coming loose. It kind of looks "nuts" under the cover but as you can see I actually now have a bit of rod sticking up (before on the stock it was barely flush).

Nice looking air cleaner you have there. I would like to get one for my truck. Where did you pick that one up at?

72c20customcamper 03-28-2021 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fb111ewo (Post 8900055)
Got the front bumper installed today, next up - an exhaust system.

Love the truck

Rich72C10 03-28-2021 11:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevys4life (Post 8900441)
Nice looking air cleaner you have there. I would like to get one for my truck. Where did you pick that one up at?

Off the shelf from O'Riley's - they had two. I think they been sitting there since the store opened. When I got to the counter my hands were blacken with all the dust from the box LOL!

I am happy with it - I installed it in their parking space ;-)

Mr. Gasket Air Cleaner #1480 $37.00

Chevys4life 03-28-2021 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich72C10 (Post 8900455)
Off the shelf from O'Riley's - they had two. I think they been sitting there since the store opened. When I got to the counter my hands were blacken with all the dust from the box LOL!

I am happy with it - I installed it in their parking space ;-)

Mr. Gasket Air Cleaner #1480 $37.00

Thanks A Million and the price is right!!!

Rich72C10 03-28-2021 03:49 PM

For the record, I had to extend the threaded rod but I think the one on my carb was to short (it was 6 inches) - it was barely long enough for the factory setup. I couldn't find a 7~8 inch one so I used a coupler from Lowes to put mine and the one from the box together. Then trimmed it to fit to have a bit sticking out over the wing nut.

I also ended up using my OEM Wing Nut, the one that came with the new cleaner was kind of light weight/sucky.

72c20customcamper 03-28-2021 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich72C10 (Post 8900591)
For the record, I had to extend the threaded rod but I think the one on my carb was to short (it was 6 inches) - it was barely long enough for the factory setup. I couldn't find a 7~8 inch one so I used a coupler from Lowes to put mine and the one from the box together. Then trimmed it to fit to have a bit sticking out over the wing nut.

I also ended up using my OEM Wing Nut, the one that came with the new cleaner was kind of light weight/sucky.

Hope you used locktite on the coupler . Hate to see it go down the intake

Rich72C10 03-28-2021 04:47 PM

I more or less poured loctite into the coupler and on rod threads. Then ran up nuts (with loctite on them) on either side of the coupler.

I'm keeping an eye on it but in the end I need to get a Dorman Help! 41066 Air Cleaner Holdown Kit (it's rather long and you cut it to fit).

03BlkZ 03-28-2021 05:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I stalled the wheels, tires and new grille on my almost complete 1970 resto project.

Steeveedee 03-28-2021 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich72C10 (Post 8900605)
I more or less poured loctite into the coupler and on rod threads. Then ran up nuts (with loctite on them) on either side of the coupler.

I'm keeping an eye on it but in the end I need to get a Dorman Help! 41066 Air Cleaner Holdown Kit (it's rather long and you cut it to fit).

You can find a 12" long piece of 1/4"-20 "All-Thread" at hardware stores, and all you'll be buying is that threaded rod. Not any (possibly) unnecessary other pieces.

67C10Step 03-28-2021 05:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
03 - love your truck. Looks fantastic.

I mocked up the bed I picked up Friday with the wood to check fitment of everything before I break out the primer. I’ve gotta give Mar K a big shout out. This went together pretty easily and I took advantage of my son being home and got him and my wife to help me set it on the truck.

While I was at Mar K on Friday I talked with a guy there, I think his name was David? but he showed me the bed wood varnish they are going to release soon. Nice guy and I’ll keep that product in mind in the next few weeks as I move ahead.

Chevys4life 03-28-2021 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich72C10 (Post 8900605)

Thanks for the update the air cleaner. I'm using it on an Edelbrock carb that doesn't have a space on it so I should be fine with the rod that I currently have now.

67C10Step 03-28-2021 05:55 PM

Double

Rich72C10 03-28-2021 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8900631)
You can find a 12" long piece of 1/4"-20 "All-Thread" at hardware stores, and all you'll be buying is that threaded rod. Not any (possibly) unnecessary other pieces.

Lowes didn’t have anything longer than 6 inches - that’s where I got the couplers. Thought when I went to O’rileys the counter found the dorman help rod in the back - so I’m now all “legal” and don’t need to watch anything.

I also installed new ACDelco R44TS plugs. Sitting at sonic waiting for my Cherry Limeaid - I thing it is running a bit better with the cooler plug (but that could be me just wanting it that way).

jimijam00 03-28-2021 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich72C10 (Post 8900674)
Cherry Limeaid

:metal:

Steeveedee 03-28-2021 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich72C10 (Post 8900674)
Lowes didn’t have anything longer than 6 inches - that’s where I got the couplers. Thought when I went to O’rileys the counter found the dorman help rod in the back - so I’m now all “legal” and don’t need to watch anything.

I also installed new ACDelco R44TS plugs. Sitting at sonic waiting for my Cherry Limeaid - I thing it is running a bit better with the cooler plug (but that could be me just wanting it that way).

The keep the all-thread over by the sheet metal, not in a drawer, at least at the Lowe's I go to. I see some big differences in what they carry, based on the region. Though I would think that a 12" piece of all-thread would be welcome anywhere.

Rich72C10 03-28-2021 08:46 PM

hmm, didn't think about that - it might well be in that section. But all ended up well anyways and the wing nut in the Dorman package was useable :-)

66clow 03-29-2021 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfont66 (Post 8896810)
I Was able to get my frame cut today on the 72 C10. Hopefully tomorrow I will have some time to weld it back together.

Now you've done pissed done people off 😁 it's ok I did too.

30772 03-29-2021 10:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
More paint on the 72 K20 project - (26th month of COMPLETE restoration) I'm exhausted!!

pjmoreland 03-29-2021 11:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Finished rebuilding my vent windows and reassembled the doors. It's nice to no longer have rattling windows. Passenger side was making a bad whistling noise, so I put tape over various spots and drove around until I narrowed it down to the straight section of the vent seal on the interior, located below the upper pivot. Ended up stuffing some 3M strip caulk in behind the seal, and now it is nice and quiet.

Rich72C10 03-29-2021 04:22 PM

Drove to Austin (thats was a 66 mile round trip and got 15MPG). Picked up my son for some out patience stuff at Seton Hospital and then we had lunch at Top Notch (drive-in place that you see in Dazed and Confused).

But none of that was the best part of the tip.

While sitting at the red light on one of the many stops on Burnet Rd, a young lady (like 16~19 years old) knocks on the passenger window... asks (talking in the triangle window, cause it's opened): "what year is your truck" ...[72]... "cooool truck man ...." then walks off to cross Burnet Rd in front of us. I looked at my son and I ask: "that was odd, wasn't it?". He says, "no - you forgot you are in the heart of Austin and not in cowpoke Kyle".

I guess she REALLY wanted to know the year of my truck! LOL

67C10Step 03-29-2021 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 8900144)
It's just cut n weld then no markers. ;)
Are you going to try to color match the bed to the other 1/2 truck until such time as it gets blown apart for a full paint?

Boog - I realized I never answered your question. I will be putting the bed in black primer and the thought of throwing some matte marron on it and sanding it to look like the rest has entered my mind. I got my order list for SPI in front of me on my desk. Just gotta call them.

72c20customcamper 03-29-2021 07:48 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Picked up a super clean oem passenger door for my 68 stepper and a rust free oem drivers side fender not to worried about the cub being cut out. Looks to have been damaged and they didn't to repair it. I have a mangled up left i can use to repair it ,now I'll have two rust free oem lefts . Guess it’s good to have a spare still looking for a passenger fender . Door has a little cancer just on the front inside corner and a dent but will be an easy fix