The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368988)

SRVBLUES64 10-29-2010 07:49 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

1 Attachment(s)
well I painted my first top coat on my truck for my new faux tin paint job, Ill be painting the second coat if weather permitting heres a final side of the bed.

daverod 10-29-2010 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRVBLUES64 (Post 4267532)
well I painted my first top coat on my truck for my new faux tin paint job, Ill be painting the second coat if weather permitting heres a final side of the bed.

I can't read the labels from here but I hope that's exterior you used.:lol::lol:Looks good. Needs more rust.;)Couple winter's and nobody will know the diff.

SRVBLUES64 10-29-2010 09:09 PM

you say more rust where would youlike it rust can be added at anytime

rustyescott 10-30-2010 06:48 PM

well today got new rear fuel tank installed, plus fuel line . steel bed floor in stalled , need to finish bolts and install new seats on sunday

chevykid65 10-30-2010 08:59 PM

havnt touched the truck today. yet. but i did manage to get some lights wired up in the garage so i can finally do some work after sundown. every little thing helps out in the longrun

BigPhil66 10-31-2010 01:31 AM

I worked on the power steering conversion...getting the pump hoses connected and the altenator rewired to the passenger side. Also bought complete disc brake conversion and suspension parts for the front/rear.

Vernski 10-31-2010 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigPhil66 (Post 4269403)
I worked on the power steering conversion...getting the pump hoses connected and the altenator rewired to the passenger side. Also bought complete disc brake conversion and suspension parts for the front/rear.

Hi Phil what brand did you choose and why? I'm thinking of re-doing my brakes to disc also...Vernski:uhmk:

BigPhil66 10-31-2010 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vernski (Post 4269485)
Hi Phil what brand did you choose and why? I'm thinking of re-doing my brakes to disc also...Vernski:uhmk:

Hey Vernski...I went with CPP Grand Slam and then added the rear brake kit. My Dad did a lot of reasearch and found this company to have good prices and reviews. They are also not far from us in Anahiem California. I hope that helps. You can find them on the Internet.

rahatawa 10-31-2010 12:26 PM

Pulled out the bed that had been stored while sorting out the rest of my truck. evaluated (with a calculator) the panels it would take to make it whole again. Looks like i am off to search the web for a lwb fleet bed near me

jbgroby 10-31-2010 07:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Finally SOME progress.

Hi Folks,

Things are looking up. Last week we had the paint mixed for the truck "GM
Canyon Blue and Olympic White". (These are factory colors from 1960). I asked the painted to shoot a bit so I could compare the shades and see what she'd look like. I think it looks awesome.

Believe it or not I've been on the fence on the blue color for about 3 years I
was trying to decide between Varsity Blue (dark) and Canyon Blue (in pics), I
think I picked right. My daughter in law and the kids liked the power blue
(yuck, no way mot manly enough!) So the canyon fit right in the middle and
really shows off the white.

I have a bunch of ads and stuff but I've only seen one other tuck paint this
two-tone pattern.

Let me know what cha think.

Jake

sams60gmc 10-31-2010 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRVBLUES64 (Post 4267532)

Looks great. Can't wait to see more done! I may have to go this route for my shop truck look.

sams60gmc 10-31-2010 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbgroby (Post 4270457)
Finally SOME progress.

Hi Folks,

Canyon Blue and Olympic White". (These are factory colors from 1960). I asked the painted to shoot a bit so I could compare the shades and see what she'd look like. I think it looks awesome.

two-tone pattern.

Jake

Classic. :smoke: Will look really good

SRVBLUES64 10-31-2010 08:42 PM

I bought more Duplicolor paint shop today for the hood and doors I have a new plan I'll be posting pics later this week, Im still going with the shop truck look but maybe a better look at really where the sun don't shine and dose. I'll send pics later this week.

daverod 10-31-2010 09:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:smoke:Thinking about doing mine Hot Rod Flatz burnt orange with black under it patina look, with a door logo.:smoke: Welded and sanded on my tailgate.

Rich 5150 69 10-31-2010 09:28 PM

Trying to decide whether or not to go to disc brake and whether or not it needs power booster, I know a lot of have changed to power disc, mine now has power drum, just thinking of cleaning up engine compartment when I go big block how many here are running non power disc and whats your opinion...

SRVBLUES64 10-31-2010 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4270625)
:smoke:Thinking about doing mine Hot Rod Flatz burnt orange with black under it patina look, with a door logo.:smoke:

That would look awesome go for it, lets be diffrent

markeb01 10-31-2010 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich 5150 69 (Post 4270638)
Trying to decide whether or not to go to disc brake and whether or not it needs power booster, how many here are running non power disc and whats your opinion...

When I first installed the 75 front end in my 60, I ran it for a year or two without a booster. It stopped fine but required a lot more pedal pressure than the 4 wheel drum brakes did, since the drums were self-energizing and the discs are not. It finally got to where my back hurt every time I stopped the truck, so I added a booster. The braking is comfortable now. Personally I'd never go back to not having the power assist, but a younger person without back trouble might find it acceptable.

Rich 5150 69 10-31-2010 11:36 PM

Mark I`m only a year or two younger than you, also wth an old back injury, yes it slows me down some, I guess its something to consider sinse I`ll never sell my truck.

protrash64 11-01-2010 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich 5150 69 (Post 4270638)
Trying to decide whether or not to go to disc brake and whether or not it needs power booster, I know a lot of have changed to power disc, mine now has power drum, just thinking of cleaning up engine compartment when I go big block how many here are running non power disc and whats your opinion...

My 64 SB is manual disc with Wilwood prop valve. Not sure the bore, but I think 1''. It's a hard peddle but stops with no problem. I have driven it on the freeway, too.;) Power sounds good but I'm probably going to do the same set-up in the '66....my right thigh will be really cut!!:lol:

Real_McCoy 11-01-2010 08:33 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I cleaned out the beds of my 66 builder and 64 parts truck. Both beds were full of junk. I continued tearing down the parts truck harvesting all that I thought might be useful and some parts I just couldn't see go to scrap. Pulling out some of the rotted plywood floor in the 66 revealed a nice dual exhuast. I can't wait to install a power plant and hear the rumble of those pipes.

Most of the sheetmetal in the 64 is full of cancer. Luckily, the panels I really needed looked good. Of course, I really won't know until I media blast and reveal the cloaked damage. The windshield came out pretty easily. The rubber seal was dry-rotted so I simply cut it away and lifted it out. Removing the seat revealed a pair of Marksman Repeater BB/Pellet pistols. When I first saw them, I couldn't tell what caliber they were. They almost looked like Glocks at first glance. The parts truck is almost stripped and should be out of the shop in a week or two. Once it is out of the way, I will start to work on the 66. I will start my build thread then.

daverod 11-01-2010 09:35 AM

I'll bet you were really happy so a second.:lol::lol: I found a 44 mag sitting in a backpack on the side of the road once. :metal: Looked like it sat there all winter.

vin63 11-01-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbgroby (Post 4270457)
Finally SOME progress.

Hi Folks,

two-tone pattern.

Jake

I like the canyon blue, as well...that will be a nice color combo. But, the softer colors do surprisingly well on our trucks because of the distinct body lines that help break up the color areas.

c10Mang 11-01-2010 04:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Gave mine the first bath in along time!!!

73737373 11-01-2010 04:33 PM

Installed new window fuzzies and channel weatherstrip on driver door. Cut out rust in driver side floor board. Pulled dash, repainted guage needles, buffed out dash instrument panel, cleaned all the dust off the guages, repainted dash surround.....looks like a new one!! Used an old football to get rid of some dents in the bedside. Starting to get the "fever", but promised myself that I would just make this a nice running work truck.....

markeb01 11-02-2010 09:44 PM

Before it gets too cold to clean and polish my mag wheels, I pulled them and installed the snow tires/wheels, and aligned the headlights.

ChiefRocka 11-02-2010 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c10Mang (Post 4271748)
Gave mine the first bath in along time!!!

Hope you didnt use that nasty brush on her !!!

Clean a$$ truck mang !!

73737373 11-03-2010 08:42 AM

Oh yeah, I adjusted my headlights the other day, also. Now my bright lights aren't shining up into the trees!!

chevy_mike 11-03-2010 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefRocka (Post 4274179)
Hope you didnt use that nasty brush on her !!!

That was the first thing I thought of when I saw those pics.

bulldoggraphics 11-03-2010 01:18 PM

I installed the new CRY o2 Air cooler from Bubba's Speed Shop testing it today

lakeroadster 11-03-2010 04:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cut up a rubber bed mat to fit my widened, min-tubbed short step bed

markeb01 11-03-2010 08:26 PM

Replaced my burned out dome light bulb. My guess is it was original to the truck and lasted so long because it almost never got used. Then a few months ago I installed door jamb switches, and daily use took its toll. Thankfully Napa still carries the correct bulb, part # LMP 6451.

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...451_0278061441

Rusteeze64GB 11-04-2010 03:31 PM

got my cab door weatherstrip kit from brothers. Now I need to put the vents back in the lower kicks and wont have to worry about wind blowing around my feet. :)

63redsled 11-04-2010 05:04 PM

I drove it!!! :cool:

blackmopar 11-04-2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 63redsled (Post 4277510)
I drove it!!! :cool:

lucky

aerotruk63 11-04-2010 05:18 PM

c10Mang, like that center picture.

lakeroadster 11-04-2010 06:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Media blasted my tail gate and bed steps. Blasting... what a nasty job.... but it sure makes crusty parts look so much better! Tailgate needs some rust repair.

markeb01 11-05-2010 12:14 AM

Gave up on my toggle switch operated back up lights, and installed a shifter mounted switch instead. One of those 30 minute projects that turns into a “3 hour tour”. Like so many aftermarket parts the Hurst switch bracket didn’t fit. The offset in the bracket placed the switch completely beyond the reverse lever on the shifter. After some figuring I determined the correct position for the switch was directly centered under the upper mounting hole. After some cutting and drilling it fit perfectly. I have to admit it’s pretty nice having “automatic” back up lights controlled by the shifter.

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/1...pswitch003.jpg

lakeroadster 11-05-2010 08:08 AM

Hey Mark, save me some effort... got the P/N of the switch you bought?

markeb01 11-05-2010 10:32 AM

Here you go. I bought mine through Amazon. I found a few places a couple dollars cheaper, but not after the shipping was added. I just bought another couple bucks of stuff and got the free shipping:

Hurst 2480003 Back-Up Light Switch

Amazon.com: hurst 2480003 Amazon.com: hurst 2480003

Cops053 11-05-2010 03:44 PM

Washed and waxed it, cleaned the interior, shined the tires and wheels, fixed the short to the dome light, all ready for the small cruise in town tomorrow