The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=486137)

Dan in Pasadena 04-17-2013 12:53 AM

Re: What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC (Post 6016875)
This is for you Denee, Look near the bolt head.

There's a bolt head in that picture? I just see a bikini!

Boy, that receiver hitch for the Venture/Uplander really DOES fit like it was made for our trucks. Ever since you posted that factlet I've been monitoring CL for one.

Clarance J 04-17-2013 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6016459)
Yeah, you can see my dirty jeans - I dug out a big stump and planted a climbing rose today - and my belly sorta looks like it's sticking out - which I SUPPOSE it does:dohh: but not as bad as the rounded bumper seems to show...at least I don't THINK it does:four:

Dan, I think what you have there is the fun house mirror effect. Chrome bumpers always make me look that way and I know that I'm not that round. I can only hope that I'm right. That's why I never wear stripes. You can tell if I'm walking or rolling.

Denee007 04-17-2013 08:02 AM

;) Dan, that's an interesting picture cause even zooming in on it, I can't see the person taking the picture! Nice looking bumper btw!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC (Post 6016875)
This is for you Denee, Look near the bolt head.

Posted via Mobile Device

G&R's57GMC 04-17-2013 10:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Denee,

Look to the right of the right bolt head on the curve, you'll see me from the waist up.

Hint the florescent light is just above me.

Glen

G&R's57GMC 04-17-2013 10:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6016979)
There's a bolt head in that picture? I just see a bikini!

Boy, that receiver hitch for the Venture/Uplander really DOES fit like it was made for our trucks. Ever since you posted that factlet I've been monitoring CL for one.

Dan,
Call the U-Haul company store near you not the local dealer, If I remember right the receiver was around $125.

Dan in Pasadena 04-17-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC (Post 6018648)
Dan,
Call the U-Haul company store near you not the local dealer, If I remember right the receiver was around $125.

Oh I know I can do that to get it.

I'm just a cheap bastard and don't need it in the short term which is why I'm "Craigslist creeping" to find a cheap used one!

focusedontheprize 04-18-2013 08:09 AM

Placed my order with Hurst Racing Tires for my white walls. Thanks for the help NEWFISHER and Coach.

Russell Ashley 04-18-2013 02:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I worked mine some more. I went over to the lumber yard to pick up some cedar 2x4's. While there I met a guy who has a 50 AD and a 51 GMC. He was familiar with Stovebolt.com but not this forum, so I suggested that he look this forum up.

agnes the dog 04-18-2013 02:22 PM

Finished up installing the 3" drop axle.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...psb243212a.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...psc7a0c835.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps139605f4.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps1ea18e48.jpg

Stepside Jim 04-18-2013 03:36 PM

Just looking at the pictures of the last couple trucks sitting in real life situations vs sitting in the garage makes such wonderful statements.

I'd write more but I have to get back out to the garage and do more sanding.:waah:

Thanks for the motivational pictures.;) Jim

Dan in Pasadena 04-18-2013 04:01 PM

Agnes, Looks nice. About how I want mine to sit. Lower but not slammed -which of course is hard to do with the straight axle.

DO you have a photo of it before? Is it a 3" dropped axle only or did you pull leaves, or do other things to lower it?

dubie 04-18-2013 04:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I haven't really touched mine in a couple days. I sanded and primed the door panels while the wife built and upholstered a panel to fit in the recessed area. I'll post some pics of it later on. Other than that I was shimming the bed up to make the body lines match and continued on the wiring

Russell Ashley 04-18-2013 04:48 PM

I wish mine was a little lower in the front like Dubie and Agnes but it's as low as it will go with the original front axle. There is only about 1 1/4 inches between the spring and the rubber bump stop now. This is due to tired springs, not anything I did.

crossfire84 04-18-2013 06:36 PM

bought new tires for the truck.

agnes the dog 04-18-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6020020)
Agnes, Looks nice. About how I want mine to sit. Lower but not slammed -which of course is hard to do with the straight axle.

DO you have a photo of it before? Is it a 3" dropped axle only or did you pull leaves, or do other things to lower it?

Here's a pic of the truck the day I got it. I pulled two leafs almost immediately, but the pack was so weak that the rest of them dearched very quickly. That's why I went on my search for a drop axle. I'm on a tight budget, so I had to find a used one. Worked out great though. I got it from a guy in Wisconsin while we were up there on spring break. I got the Nostalgia Sid's axle (drum to drum with new king pins installed), steering stabilizer, a monster tie rod with new ends, steering box, new shocks, spring packs, and an adjustable drag link (and a set of wheels and other misc parts) all for $300. He had put 168 miles on the setup. He went with a Heidt's front end because his wife didn't like the ride.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...302/59day1.jpg

Thanks for the compliments!

NEWFISHER 04-18-2013 07:53 PM

" He went with a Heidt's front end because his wife didn't like the ride. "

I hope that statement never falls from my lips, it scares me to read it! I am blessed with a great wife, some of the little projects in , around and under the cars/trucks she will help with.

You saved $700 on the axle and steer parts, $600 ish on the leaf packs and he tossed in the shocks and steering box. You did well!

SCHRUMGMC 04-18-2013 08:19 PM

Beautiful Trucks

How much did you get yours for Dubie ?

Dan in Pasadena 04-18-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agnes the dog (Post 6020372)
Here's a pic of the truck the day I got it. I pulled two leafs almost immediately, but the pack was so weak that the rest of them dearched very quickly. That's why I went on my search for a drop axle. I'm on a tight budget, so I had to find a used one. Worked out great though. I got it from a guy in Wisconsin while we were up there on spring break. I got the Nostalgia Sid's axle (drum to drum with new king pins installed), steering stabilizer, a monster tie rod with new ends, steering box, new shocks, spring packs, and an adjustable drag link (and a set of wheels and other misc parts) all for $300....

You realize you got a SCREAMING cheap deal, right? Congrats. I've been searching for a deal like that for a year.

I HAVE to do something as someone honked up my front spring packs. One side has 5 leaves and the other has 6 though it rides level side-to-side!
No idea why they did that, plus my shackle bolts/pins - whatever the proper term for them - are screwed up as the grease retaining rubber is torn and "squishing" out.

I am REAL tempted to try the 3" drop leaf spring pack from The Truck Shop since I HAVE to do something anyway (if I am keeping the straight axle). If it isn't low enough I could add the dropped axle, but it's a "Catch-22" because the springs don't do anything for my (likely) need for rebuilt kingpins. Then I'd have to pull the whole thing out again....OH THE HUMANITY!:waah:

SCHRUMGMC 04-18-2013 08:52 PM

Hindenburg, Dan

Dan in Pasadena 04-18-2013 08:57 PM

That's right, Junior. (Hindenburg)

Better call a waambulance! lol.

SCHRUMGMC 04-18-2013 08:59 PM

Every time I hear the OOOH THE HUMANITY I see that blimp

Dan in Pasadena 04-18-2013 09:07 PM

If anyone cares and just to have SOMETHING to report today:

I installed a short length of clear 5/16" vinyl tubing from my radiator overflow tube to the "intake" tube on my stainless overflow tank that I posted a photo of back a couple pages in #1970.

SCHRUMGMC 04-18-2013 09:09 PM

Can a Tire off of a 1972 GMC fit on a 59 gmc ?

Dan in Pasadena 04-18-2013 09:26 PM

Any tire off any vehicle can fit ANY other vehicle IF you have the correct rim for it.

That said, I THINK what you're asking about is the lug pattern. The '59 likely still has its original 6 lugs. The '72 (I think) has a 5 lugs on a 5" bolt pattern. So no, with those variables it won't fit.

FYI, GM trucks have the 5 on 5 pattern, cars had the 5 on 4-3/4" pattern.

SCHRUMGMC 04-18-2013 09:28 PM

The tire is on the Rim for the 72

I hope :(

Clarance J 04-18-2013 11:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Today I painted the rear shock mount that I made to replace the stock upper mount that was just worn out. Just too many heavy loads over the years.

Highsider 04-19-2013 10:04 PM

Hey, agnes- Nice stance! Looks like it's leaping forward just sitting still.
Bad azz!

agnes the dog 04-20-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6020617)
You realize you got a SCREAMING cheap deal, right? Congrats. I've been searching for a deal like that for a year.

I HAVE to do something as someone honked up my front spring packs. One side has 5 leaves and the other has 6 though it rides level side-to-side!
No idea why they did that, plus my shackle bolts/pins - whatever the proper term for them - are screwed up as the grease retaining rubber is torn and "squishing" out.

I am REAL tempted to try the 3" drop leaf spring pack from The Truck Shop since I HAVE to do something anyway (if I am keeping the straight axle). If it isn't low enough I could add the dropped axle, but it's a "Catch-22" because the springs don't do anything for my (likely) need for rebuilt kingpins. Then I'd have to pull the whole thing out again....OH THE HUMANITY!:waah:

Yes, I know that I got the deal of a lifetime on this stuff. He had it listed at $300 and I gladly paid that. He is a super nice guy and has a really nice '57.

My shackle bolt bushings were shot. I will post pictures later, but they were so bad that I could move the springs side to side about 3" at the center. I'm so glad that I swapped the springs too. It was very dangerous and I didn't know it. I would imagine that the designers didn't plan on the truck keeping the original equipment for 54 years!!!!

I thought about the drop springs too. I might still do it if I feel like I need to go lower. :-) Would definitley go with at least two leafs, not the monoleafs - just for safety. I wanted to keep the straight axle, leafs, and drum brakes. I like the original stuff and felt like I should keep it that way.

Rude Dude 04-21-2013 07:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Paint stripped, etch primed,epoxy painted white and color sanded too!:ito:

lowdownstar 04-21-2013 07:54 PM

All that paint work in one day damm your good!!!! and it looks good too

Ray

OrrieG 04-21-2013 09:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
bunch of small stuff and got the auxiliary dash leds mounted in the old ignition hole. Boxes are starting to arrive!

mknittle 04-21-2013 09:47 PM

Nothing today but Friday I made a couple parts for my motor mount relocation project and tacked them together. Tomorrow morning I am going to try to sneak some welding into the other stuff I need to do. Hey if it is too dark to see outside.......:lol:

mknittle 04-21-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrrieG (Post 6026255)
bunch of small stuff and got the auxiliary dash leds mounted in the old ignition hole. Boxes are starting to arrive!

Looks nice Orrie.

nvrdone 04-21-2013 09:56 PM

Finally did the one wire alternator change after the generator died.that change was worth the effort.
Then started to install the switches for the power windows. What a pain. The switches don't clear the glass, the harness is too short, no instructions etc. finally quit. Had a beer, threw a steak on the BBQ and burned the steak !!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

rgunlock 04-21-2013 10:18 PM

Sorry to hear that you burned the steak. The rest of it pretty much matched the day I had on my truck, but my steak turned out great :metal:

Hogsophist 04-22-2013 01:00 AM

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...ps68f94690.jpg

Added new wheels and mirrors. Fixed door latch.
Posted via Mobile Device

Daze57 04-22-2013 03:15 AM

well! if all else fails ............have another beer

dubie 04-22-2013 09:45 AM

wiring, scratched my head, wired some more, read some electrical prints, wired some more, thought about wiring, did a little wiring. Did I mention I was doing wiring this weekend? I'm a wiring virgin so I am taking my time to avoid getting overwhelmed and frustrated. A couple more wires and the dash can all go back together

mknittle 04-22-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubie (Post 6027137)
wiring, scratched my head, wired some more, read some electrical prints, wired some more, thought about wiring, did a little wiring. Did I mention I was doing wiring this weekend? I'm a wiring virgin so I am taking my time to avoid getting overwhelmed and frustrated. A couple more wires and the dash can all go back together

Think of wiring like plumbing the wires as pipes the switches valves and the fuses safety valves that prevent a do over:lol:

Dan in Pasadena 04-22-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hogsophist (Post 6026747)
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...ps68f94690.jpg

Added new wheels and mirrors. Fixed door latch.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wheels look great, congrats!

Where did you source them from? Size?
Posted via Mobile Device