The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Nik's 62 build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=680841)

62stepside longbox 04-11-2017 11:52 PM

Re: Nik's 62 build

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizz1963 (Post 7911502)
Nick, I love the way you just quietly get on with stuff.

Changing the rounded door frames to square is really genius, and you guys did well there.

West coast mirrors, I love them. Not right for my trucks style, but they always look great.

Glad you found a good set, for presumably sensible money.

Thanks for the compliments rian :chevy:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy (Post 7911903)
Nice find on the mirrors man. I'm gonna be keeping mine for when my 66 is done. :chevy:

Thanks Tj, they are not what I was thinking of when I bought my truck, but seeing how good they look on many of the trucks on the forum made me realize that they are what I really want, I'm pretty happy with these.

62stepside longbox 04-14-2017 07:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been busy and the weather has been bad for the past week or so and I haven't got much done. But today was the first day of a four day long weekend so I got to work on the panhard bar. I decided to use the stock 60-62 panhard bar and bracket, so I cut the bracket off of the old rear end. I bolted one end of the panhard bar to the frame and made sure the rear end was centred under the frame. I then tack welded the bracket to the rear end and checked to make sure it was all good.

62stepside longbox 04-14-2017 07:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Once confirmed it was in the correct spot I welded it on solid. It still needs painting just as the rear end cover does as well.

realvc 04-15-2017 06:00 PM

Way to go on all counts of your truck build.
The attention to detail and the over all way you have crafted your mods. is very inspiring to me.

I'm just plodding along trying to figure out how to do some of what you have done.

The power steering sector to frame mod. is too cool. I had wondered about doing something similar and notching the frame to allow the sector to mount like on the late model frame. I had also thought about cutting the frame where the sector mounts on my donor truck and wielding that section into the 62 frame.

The way you built your on power brake and clutch master cylinder mount is really impressive as is all your work on your truck and your dad's.

I had a very rough time getting the control arm bushings off of my donor control arms too.

Congrats. on your progress and on a very nice truck. Also this is one of the best build threads on the forum.

Thanks too for your kind words on my thread.

62stepside longbox 04-17-2017 12:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by realvc (Post 7916736)
Way to go on all counts of your truck build.
The attention to detail and the over all way you have crafted your mods. is very inspiring to me.

I'm just plodding along trying to figure out how to do some of what you have done.

The power steering sector to frame mod. is too cool. I had wondered about doing something similar and notching the frame to allow the sector to mount like on the late model frame. I had also thought about cutting the frame where the sector mounts on my donor truck and wielding that section into the 62 frame.

The way you built your on power brake and clutch master cylinder mount is really impressive as is all your work on your truck and your dad's.

I had a very rough time getting the control arm bushings off of my donor control arms too.

Congrats. on your progress and on a very nice truck. Also this is one of the best build threads on the forum.

Thanks too for your kind words on my thread.

Thank you so much for all of the compliments Vince! If you have any questions about any of the mods I have done feel free to ask! I've also been enjoying your build lots, not too many of us guys modifying 60-62 trucks as they are like the black sheep of 60-66 trucks.

Today I spent some time on brake lines, I cut one piece that goes from the proportioning block to the front drivers brake hose. I made double inverted flares on both sides.

62stepside longbox 04-17-2017 12:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And without a line bending tool I needed some other way to make nice bends in the line. So I just used a piece of exhaust tubing and wrapped the line around, then slid it off. I then installed the line, I still need to pick up some parts such as brake hoses, calipers and pads but it's getting close, should be on the road in no time :chevy:

62stepside longbox 04-17-2017 12:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Also spent some time disassembling the mirrors, I got the arms all stripped down to bare metal with the wire wheel.

AJCK87 04-18-2017 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62stepside longbox (Post 7911274)
Thanks buddy, when you come here in the summer we'll head there to go on a little hunt. Let me know specifically some of the things you might need and I'll let you know if it's there.

Beauty! Yeah I'll keep you posted on the travel plans. The wife and I will be going to the UK for three weeks in June and I have a family reunion on August, I will be making a plan to travel out to the Okanagan some time in between. I will for sure keep in touch. As for parts, I'll have to figure it out, I'm thinking some nice bed sides to finish up the rust repair on the rear quarters.

62stepside longbox 04-25-2017 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJCK87 (Post 7919442)
Beauty! Yeah I'll keep you posted on the travel plans. The wife and I will be going to the UK for three weeks in June and I have a family reunion on August, I will be making a plan to travel out to the Okanagan some time in between. I will for sure keep in touch. As for parts, I'll have to figure it out, I'm thinking some nice bed sides to finish up the rust repair on the rear quarters.

Sounds good! Let me know when it comes closer to the summer. Not sure if he'll have a bed he wants to cut up, but I can check.

62stepside longbox 04-25-2017 04:32 PM

The past week or so I've been under the weather with a nasty cold and haven't gotten much done, but I'm thinking I should be feeling better in the next couple days so I should have a progress update this weekend for you guys:metal:.

62stepside longbox 04-30-2017 10:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This weekend I finally was starting to feel a little better after my cold so I went out and worked on the truck. I removed the power steering pump and bracket and gave them a good clean and painted them up in gloss black. I allowed them to dry and them reinstalled them.

62stepside longbox 04-30-2017 10:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I also did some work on brake lines. I bent up this peice out of new line an slipped the old coil over it (don't know what it's really called but it looks like a spring and slides over the brake line).

62stepside longbox 04-30-2017 10:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A close up of the double flares I made.

realvc 05-01-2017 06:45 AM

Glad to hear you are feeling better and able to get in some truck time.

TJ's Chevy 05-01-2017 11:06 AM

Progress :metal:

Palf70Step 05-01-2017 02:01 PM

Glad you are up and about again. Work looks good as always. :metal:

62stepside longbox 05-02-2017 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by realvc (Post 7930496)
Glad to hear you are feeling better and able to get in some truck time.

Thanks Vince, truck time is always a good way to recover :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy (Post 7930658)
Progress :metal:

Oh yeah:metal::chevy:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 7930828)
Glad you are up and about again. Work looks good as always. :metal:

Thanks bill 🙂

65sub 05-02-2017 10:41 AM

Hey Nik. Glad you're feeling better. Truck time is the best therapy.

62stepside longbox 05-02-2017 07:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 65sub (Post 7931602)
Hey Nik. Glad you're feeling better. Truck time is the best therapy.

Thanks Dale, and yes I couldn't agree more.

The past few days it's been about 15 degrees and sunny here, I'm glad to finally see the weather get nice after the long winter, It's much more enjoyable working outside.
Today I got a lot of work done at school in the shop. I scavenged up some old exhaust systems and cut off enough tubing to finish my exhaust so when I fire the truck up I won't piss off the neighbors again! :lol:. I then spent some time building a radiatior shroud. I cut two pieces of 4.5"- 36" 20 ga sheet metal on the foot shear and then used the roller to make them into half circles. I then bead rolled both to add strength and just because it looks nice. Here they are, I'm extremely pleased with how they came out.

62stepside longbox 05-02-2017 07:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another shot. I just can't get over how good they look! :)

62stepside longbox 05-02-2017 07:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I still need to bolt the two pieces together to make it a full circle and make up some mounting brackets but I wanted to test fit it first, here it is mocked up sitting flush against the radiator.

Classic v6 GMC's 05-02-2017 09:09 PM

WOW! That shroud is very nice! :metal:

Captainfab 05-03-2017 12:14 AM

Very nice work on the shroud Nik :thumbs:

realvc 05-03-2017 06:32 AM

Great job on the shroud.

AJCK87 05-03-2017 12:52 PM

Awesome job! Glad to hear your feeling better, the colds have been going around