The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=444746)

GSFMECH 12-23-2019 09:46 AM

Re: How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10

Chris I have to give credit to Steven and Kevin because I'm about to pull the trigger on the RTX as well. Credit goes to Ernie for the QA1

SCOTI 12-23-2019 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 8647437)
Looks great, but did you have to blame everything on me? :lol:

I thought LS engines weren't supposed to leak, isn't that how you told me to fix the leak on my SBC?;)

Edit: If you sold the Muncie, what trans do you have in it to drive it around today?

I hear this quote so often from the LS swap promoters.... :lol:
All mechanicals can/will leak. Some maybe sooner than others. But if it's used, it will get a leak @ some point.

C10_ustacould 12-23-2019 11:33 PM

Let's just throw blame all over the place... I'll blame Chris, I ordered the RTX gauges today. :lol:

smbrouss70 12-23-2019 11:59 PM

I love this! Everybody blames everybody else, so none of us are at fault for our own addictions. I finally feel like I belong in today's society! :haha:

BTW, I blame Chris too, because I fell in love with his yellow Blazer years ago, but couldn't afford it quick enough back then, so I've been making up for lost time.

GSFMECH 12-24-2019 01:54 AM

Hahaha, this is getting good

gringoloco 12-24-2019 02:41 PM

I blame my wife for being an enabler. I was surfing Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, eBay, and putting out the local feelers for a TKO or T56 when she says to me “stop doing things twice and just buy what you really want”. 10 minutes later there’s a new TKO 600 purchased and on its way....

C10_ustacould 12-24-2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8648274)
I blame my wife for being an enabler. I was surfing Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, eBay, and putting out the local feelers for a TKO or T56 when she says to me “stop doing things twice and just buy what you really want”. 10 minutes later there’s a new TKO 600 purchased and on its way....

You misspelled the reference to your wife, it's "K-e-e-p-e-r"

smbrouss70 12-24-2019 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8648274)

WOOT! That's kind of how it happened with mine too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by C10_ustacould (Post 8648289)

Definitely!

gringoloco 12-26-2019 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C10_ustacould (Post 8648289)

100%, no doubt, for sure!

cornerstone 12-26-2019 01:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
So glad to see these updates Gringo! This is the first I've heard of using the Jeep fan. I've been hoping to use my stock rad and shroud also, so now its clear as day how do handle it.:metal:

In answer to the question posed by C10_ustacould, I can shed some light on what I used for hoses for the Gen 5. The upper hose shows the part number. The lower hose is harder to see but it is a combination of the factory 2014 Silverado at the water pump and spliced to a 90 degree bend near the radiator inlet.

smbrouss70 12-28-2019 04:08 PM

I meant to ask about the Jeep fan last night when I was over there. How did you mount it, because I don't see the bolts that everybody else uses to hold the top arms to the inside of the shroud? Also, I thought the Jeep fans were a single speed fan?

gringoloco 12-28-2019 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerstone (Post 8649058)
So glad to see these updates Gringo! This is the first I've heard of using the Jeep fan. I've been hoping to use my stock rad and shroud also, so now its clear as day how do handle it.:metal:

In answer to the question posed by C10_ustacould, I can shed some light on what I used for hoses for the Gen 5. The upper hose shows the part number. The lower hose is harder to see but it is a combination of the factory 2014 Silverado at the water pump and spliced to a 90 degree bend near the radiator inlet.

Check out this thread for more info on the Jeep fan: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254617
Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 8650089)
I meant to ask about the Jeep fan last night when I was over there. How did you mount it, because I don't see the bolts that everybody else uses to hold the top arms to the inside of the shroud? Also, I thought the Jeep fans were a single speed fan?

Mounted per the above thread, I have cut the lower slot, but haven’t poked the top holes yet. There’s two versions of that same fan, I grabbed the Spectra CF13009 with 3-wire/2-speed

gringoloco 12-28-2019 09:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Getting everything prepped for the TKO, which should be here Monday. Chatting with smbrouss70 over beers last night, he talked about how much trouble he had getting his transmission to engage the pilot hole due to the sloppy tolerances of the plastic alignment tool.

In a rare genius moment, I decided to wrap the tool in foil tape to take up some of the slack. 2 layers worked perfectly! The new 26-spline clutch is torqued in place and hopefully allows the trans to slide in with ease.

gringoloco 12-28-2019 09:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Also spent a little time rebuilding my hydro throwout, as I got a little excited and accidentally forcibly disassembled it during removal of the Muncie. It got a new piston, seals, scrapers, and c-clip. Good to go.

Driveshaft also now has a new Spicer 1310-1330 conversion u-joint, ready to accept the 31-spline slip yoke for the Tremec. Fingers crossed I won’t have to shorten the shaft (it will be close).

gringoloco 01-02-2020 09:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
After a few days spent having to do FedEx’s job for them, things just got interesting:

TA_C10 01-02-2020 11:20 PM

Boom.

smbrouss70 01-03-2020 12:54 AM

You're going to love it!

clay68c10 01-03-2020 09:48 PM

I have a box like that in my garage! But I’m not nearly as far along as you. I’m going to be mocking everything up for fitment this spring.

Are you going to move the shifter to the mid position or just flip it around where it is now?

Make sure it shifts thru the gears, sometimes the shippers set the trans box on end and it puts the shift rods out of alignment. It will be in 2 gears at once. Mine was bound up, but it was easy to fix. There’s a YouTube video out there somewhere about it.

What clutch and throw out bearing are you using? Those are the last things I need. I’m using Capt Fab’s master setup, the Silver Sport bell, and I already have a flywheel.

Cool build, I’ve been following it for a while now.

gringoloco 01-04-2020 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8653446)
Boom.

My feelings exactly
Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 8653505)
You're going to love it!

I sure hope so!
Quote:

Originally Posted by clay68c10 (Post 8654032)
I have a box like that in my garage! But I’m not nearly as far along as you. I’m going to be mocking everything up for fitment this spring.

Are you going to move the shifter to the mid position or just flip it around where it is now?

Make sure it shifts thru the gears, sometimes the shippers set the trans box on end and it puts the shift rods out of alignment. It will be in 2 gears at once. Mine was bound up, but it was easy to fix. There’s a YouTube video out there somewhere about it.

What clutch and throw out bearing are you using? Those are the last things I need. I’m using Capt Fab’s master setup, the Silver Sport bell, and I already have a flywheel.

Cool build, I’ve been following it for a while now.

Thanks for the kind words!

I’m yet undecided on shifter location. I think rear-flipped will be fine, will see once I get it stabbed.

Clutch is an 11” big-block style, RAM 78125HD hydraulic throwout. Setup easy and worked great with the Muncie, should be similar with the TKO.

knomadd 01-06-2020 07:36 PM

OH damn! I want one of those for my GTO!!!!

nlped 01-06-2020 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knomadd (Post 8655664)

I feel the same way! I want one for my Falcon

gringoloco 01-06-2020 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knomadd (Post 8655664)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nlped (Post 8655706)
I feel the same way! I want one for my Falcon

Had to check out your builds, nice cars both!

clay68c10 01-07-2020 10:06 AM

Thanks for the info, Gringo!

shearjs 01-11-2020 10:25 AM

Anytime I need inspiration for the Burb, it always brings me back to your thread. I appreciate your willingness to share your findings and expertise with all of us. I also decided to go the Terminator X route and can't wait to start on that part of the project! Keep up the good work!

gringoloco 01-11-2020 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clay68c10 (Post 8655951)
Thanks for the info, Gringo!

No worries, this is why we’re here :chevy:
Quote:

Originally Posted by shearjs (Post 8657851)
Anytime I need inspiration for the Burb, it always brings me back to your thread. I appreciate your willingness to share your findings and expertise with all of us. I also decided to go the Terminator X route and can't wait to start on that part of the project! Keep up the good work!

Thanks man, love that ‘burb. You’re gonna love termi-x, plug and play, fires right up, and gets better every time I drive it

gringoloco 01-19-2020 11:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Well, the TKO is “in”. The easy, heavy-lifting piece is done, but it still needs a new mount spacer ( have a 3/4” piece of scrap wood in there for the moment), driveshaft shortened, clutch bled, floor clearanced, fluid filled, etc, etc.

I made these handy alignment dowels out of a pair of grade ‘cheap silver cad’ bolts. Simply lopped the heads off, chamfered the end, and cut a screwdriver slit for ease of removal. Worked like a charm!

gringoloco 01-19-2020 11:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Due to the dropmember moving the engine up, the transmission is very high in the tunnel, but should still just fit under the high hump. Remains to be seen, still need to fill the Muncie shifter hole and cut a new one.

gringoloco 01-19-2020 11:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This also places the shifter ball in a very high position. Currently, I’m using a 16” long lever, which exacerbates the issue and contributes to a very long shift throw. I’ll look into using a shorter lever around 10-12”, and possibly a short-shifter base if needed.

Inverter 01-19-2020 02:49 PM

My shifter base boot pokes through the hump slightly. Diff motor mounted 5/8” higher than stock and @ 3* pitch. I remember the level 3 DM’s have the pitch at 5* or so,, didnt catch what series you have. Watch that 3rd gear...

gringoloco 01-19-2020 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inverter (Post 8662328)
My shifter base boot pokes through the hump slightly. Diff/motor mounted 5/8” higher than stock and @ 3* pitch. I remember the level 3 DM’s have the pitch at 5* or so,, didnt catch what series you have. Watch that 3rd gear...

Thanks for the info. I figure it will stick through a bit, worse if I decide to do a short throw (taller base). I set the angles up at 3.5, which is certainly a contributing factor to how high it sits. I also raised the engine ~3/4” to help tuck the long tubes up inside the framerails. 3rd is a knuckle-buster for sure, I’m looking at different stick options...

This is the snowball I was trying so hard to avoid, but it sure is fun figuring out the puzzle :chevy:

TA_C10 01-19-2020 08:03 PM

Interested to see if the clearance will be enough all the way around in the high hump like you said. I guess it won't move around too much but.....

Looks killer man.

Inverter 01-19-2020 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8662378)
3rd is a knuckle-buster for sure,:

Once you get the stick position worked out,, look up the palming procedure for high rpm quick 3rd gear shifts for these units. Makes all the diff.

gringoloco 01-20-2020 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8662503)
Interested to see if the clearance will be enough all the way around in the high hump like you said. I guess it won't move around too much but.....

Looks killer man.

Thanks, man. I tossed the cover on and there appears to be a quarter inch or so all around. The trans is hitting the floorpan behind the hump, though, where the shift rail housing is tall above the output shaft. Looks like a little more cutting is in my future...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inverter (Post 8662520)
Once you get the stick position worked out,, look up the palming procedure for high rpm quick 3rd gear shifts for these units. Makes all the diff.

Thanks, I’ve done some reading and watched the YouTube video. Looks like the idea is to just push up and let the centering springs do the work

Inverter 01-20-2020 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8662717)
Looks like the idea is to just push up and let the centering springs do the work

Thats it. These boxes are really notchy. Mines loosening up but not what i was expecting.

smbrouss70 01-20-2020 10:30 AM

Looks good, but wow it sits way higher than mine does. Like Inverter said, it is quite notchy at first, but after about 2,000 miles on mine it seems to have worn in enough to make it feel much better.

gringoloco 02-01-2020 09:07 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Put in some time today getting the trans in its final resting place. The mount sits about 3.5” higher than before the dropmember, so to keep from stacking up a bunch of spacers, I cut the crossmember tab off and welded a 1.75” spacer to it. I cut holes to recess the mount bolts—one less thing to drag the speedbumps.

Once mounted, the trans ended up coming into the cab more than I wanted, but the driveline angles are good and everything is clearing. Fluid is filled and shifter is in, now I just need to build a driveshaft tunnel, which is wanting to occupy the same space as my bench seat. I think I’ll rename this truck “5-pound sack”.

gringoloco 02-02-2020 07:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The old girl got some sun today:

gringoloco 02-02-2020 07:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:b69:

gringoloco 02-02-2020 08:06 PM

Terrorizing the neighborhood a bit before the game

https://youtu.be/y2vE6yRqlFI