The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=486137)

Dodger 04-27-2013 09:13 AM

Re: What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ?

Love the suicide knob, steering wheel spinner, power steering - whatever you like to call it.

Is that something you had lying around or did you buy it recently?

Looking for one that has the same mounting set up. Had no luck yet with finding anything that looks as good as yours with the Chev badge and all.
Posted via Mobile Device

19553600 04-27-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodger (Post 6037443)
Love the suicide knob, steering wheel spinner, power steering - whatever you like to call it.

Looking for one that has the same mounting set up. Had no luck yet with finding anything that looks as good as yours with the Chev badge and all.
Posted via Mobile Device

I bought it for $5 in an antique store and painted it to match my truck. I had to sand down the writing on it before painting. It's all metal so it should hold up pretty well. Here's one on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steering-Whe...79a137&vxp=mtr

Dan in Pasadena 04-27-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodger (Post 6037443)

Posted via Mobile Device

Eek, that one's a little pricey. Yeah, it's "vintage"...but I remember where those came from when they were new. More or less the same place they come from now: cheap import ("Japanese junk", as we used to call it but now it's Chinese stuff we bash), the JC Whitney catalog, or Pep Boys. Point being these were never high quality items so why now pay like they were?
Posted via Mobile Device

Clarance J 04-28-2013 01:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Today I put the rear axle back in Clarance J.

19553600 05-04-2013 08:59 PM

I went to a small car show with it.

hsdropout 05-04-2013 09:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed Lokar shifter........works great! Well......at least for now........

Dan in Pasadena 05-04-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hsdropout (Post 6052376)
Installed Lokar shifter........works great! Well......at least for now........

Oh man, I need to pick your brain! I've got some funky POS ancient floor shifter on my TH350 and to make it WORSE, the PO cobbled together the tranny cover. Looks like a goat chewed it to size!

Good news is I've got TWO used Lokars. One a 16" and the other, more complete one is a 23". Lokar sent me parts to make the installation, I just haven't yet.

So spill: is it an easy installation...without instructions? I wonder how to install/adjust the actuator arm properly? How do I know when I've got it "right"?

I bought a new tranny cover too. I've just been procrastinating. Any/all advice appreciated.
Posted via Mobile Device

hsdropout 05-04-2013 11:10 PM

You can get the complete instructions online............just search
"Lokar 350 shifter installation" 6 page PDF. I can send link if you don't find it.

I like the tall one, mine is 23".
It is easy..........some of the nylock nuts that attach the banana clips are tricky to get on under the main plate, not much space.........I held them with a pair of noodle nose plars. Got a few knuckle wounds, but overall really easy.
It shifts really nice. Can't wait to try it for reals.
You are going to like it!

Dan in Pasadena 05-04-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hsdropout (Post 6052587)
You can get the complete instructions online............just search
"Lokar 350 shifter installation" 6 page PDF. I can send link if you don't find it.

Thanks, I SHOULD have thought of that. Maybe I've got myself psyched out!

I like the tall one, mine is 23".
It is easy..........some of the nylock nuts that attach the banana clips are tricky to get on under the main plate, not much space.........I held them with a pair of noodle nose plars. Got a few knuckle wounds, but overall really easy.
It shifts really nice. Can't wait to try it for reals.
You are going to like it![/QUOTE]

I don't know what "banana clips" are or if I have such? I better go read those instructions....oh, and go shopping for some "noodle nose" pliers. I'm pretty sure I DON'T have those!:lol:

But seriously, I know I will. Had one on my old '46 truck and loved it. This shifter pops out of gear into neutral if you look at it cross ways.

mknittle 05-05-2013 10:10 AM

Noodle nose pliers are soft so they don't scratch your work. They are pretty hard to work with though. Getting your banana clip where you want it is like a game at a carnival. The "Wet noodle" type are the worst of the two

Dan in Pasadena 05-05-2013 01:13 PM

Ok I found the Lokar instructions online. My shifter clearly mounts to the trans but I'm not sure I've got all the pieces described so I'll have to print the parts list and go review what I've got.

But Lokar customer service has been great to me so they'd likely give me anything I'm missing...and maybe free! as they've already sent me stuff for no charge.
Posted via Mobile Device

lt155ruck 05-05-2013 01:52 PM

Mocked up the engine cover over the past week. Just had it covered in fiberglass.
Posted via Mobile Device

lt155ruck 05-05-2013 02:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lt155ruck (Post 6053421)
Mocked up the engine cover over the past week. Just had it covered in fiberglass.
Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device

OrrieG 05-05-2013 02:55 PM

Redid the wiper fluid switch and wrestling with steering column cover.

broey 05-05-2013 06:38 PM

started stripping the camaro rear end I got for my truck to get ready for the One N' Done party..

fabguy 05-05-2013 09:41 PM

resealed my holley carb, wired up my gauges and now ready for dash wiring, then sanded all my bed wood for another coat of Man "O" War, ( wife is gonna coat it for me while I am at work, once the threat of rain is gone and warms up again next week.

mknittle 05-05-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lt155ruck (Post 6053454)
Posted via Mobile Device

Looks nice. though I am not a big fan of engine covers.:lol: I do appreciate the workmanship though :metal:

Daze57 05-05-2013 11:19 PM

OrrieG
Could you pass along a pict of you ''upgraded'' wiper washer switch? i am wrkin on that right now and you idea is a good one - if ya made it better i would like to see a pict of it plz.

tttuba 05-06-2013 12:17 AM

Got the bedsides back from the blaster yesterday. Worked yesterday and today welding up some holes and cracks. Put it in Epoxy primer so it wont rust. Will commence doing body work this week.

dubie 05-06-2013 07:31 AM

we finished up the wiring in the dash, loomed all the wiring in the engine bay and everything going to the back, rehung the passenger side door and picked up a gallon of black epoxy primer to seal the body, once we get to that stage. I also fabbed up the mounting for the radiator and test fitted everything. This week, we finalize the wiring, install the fuel system, install the cooling system and hang the drive shaft. I'm hoping to fire this thing up in a couple weeks. A guy can dream can't he?

Daze57 05-06-2013 01:35 PM

Been there - still dreaming
Posted via Mobile Device

SCHRUMGMC 05-06-2013 02:59 PM

Soooo close to getting my Truck

G&R's57GMC 05-06-2013 05:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Drove my '56

SCHRUMGMC 05-06-2013 05:32 PM

Nice truck man ^

G&R's57GMC 05-06-2013 06:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
SchrumGMC,

Thanks, Here's my '57

SCHRUMGMC 05-06-2013 06:25 PM

That's pretty sick

Dodger 05-06-2013 08:18 PM

All wiring done and electrics are all good now on the 50.

Electric wiper motor installed. Tricky but a good fit. Just got to work out adjustments etc.

Headlights changed over to Aussie ones.

Not a bad day.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dan in Pasadena 05-06-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCHRUMGMC (Post 6055395)
Soooo close to getting my Truck

Yeah, we've been hearing that for awhile!:lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

SCHRUMGMC 05-06-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6056109)
Yeah, we've been hearing that for awhile!:lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

I am being Dead serious Dan..I'm very close to $2,000..I have a guy coming from South Carolina to buy my Grill for $350..I'll have well over $1,800..So hopefully tomorrow I will approach him with $1,800 and get it, and if I don't go tomorrow I will go Wednesday

Denee007 05-06-2013 09:56 PM

Do you have trouble deciding which to drive:lol:? I love the Texaco truck!;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC (Post 6055657)
Drove my '56

Posted via Mobile Device

G&R's57GMC 05-06-2013 10:07 PM

Thank's Denee'

I love it too !

OrrieG 05-06-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daze57 (Post 6054370)
OrrieG
Could you pass along a pict of you ''upgraded'' wiper washer switch? i am wrkin on that right now and you idea is a good one - if ya made it better i would like to see a pict of it plz.

Look here:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=841

This weekend I had to lengthen the bracket and connector rod between them about 1.5", the assembly was so far up in the dash I could not get the short rod on. Lesson learned is to get all the stuff done up high when its accessible and work down!

OrrieG 05-06-2013 10:55 PM

I am modifying the column cover stuff. Learned all about how the bobbin mechanism works in a sewing machine, especially how to get all the thread out of it when it goes fubar. Wife hid in the greenhouse during the sewing experience... Photos will be posted when it is done.

Dan in Pasadena 05-07-2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCHRUMGMC (Post 6056144)
...I'll have well over $1,800..So hopefully tomorrow I will approach him with $1,800 and get it, and if I don't go tomorrow I will go Wednesday

I'm sure I've missed lots of your posts and I don't want to cause this thread to go off on a tangent about your phantom truck but last I read, you said the guy wants $3000. Why would you think that he'll take $1800?

Seems to me that all you'll do by making this offer is prove to the seller you're desperate for the truck and DO have the ability to up your previous $1,000 offer.

If you've got it up to $1,800 already why would he not continue to hold out and "...see what the kid comes up with?"

I'm not trying to be negative, I'm just saying you're acting like the guy wants to sell it to you. He likely could not care less WHO buys it as long as he gets the $3000 (or more!) he wants for it.

SCHRUMGMC 05-07-2013 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6056623)
'm sure I've missed lots of your posts but last I read the guy said he wanted $3000. WHy would you think that he'll take $1800?

Seems to me that all you'll do by making this offer is prove to the seller you're desperate for the truck and DO have the ability upon your previous $1,000 offer.

If you've got it up to $1,800 already why would he not continue to hold out and "...see what the kid comes up with?"

I'm not trying to be negative, I'm just saying you're acting like the guy wants to sell it to you. He likely could not care less WHO buys it as long as he gets the $3000 (or more!) he wants for it.

I think you've missed some Posts, either that or I have forgotten to tell everyone :lol: ,He told me he'd take $2,200 I am going to offer $1,800

Dan in Pasadena 05-07-2013 12:22 AM

Good luck with that. Take hard cash AND take someone (bigger than you) with you when you make the offer!

Afterall, there's a reason why the expression, "Cash talks and bullschit walks" exists. Folding green is hard to ignore.

SCHRUMGMC 05-07-2013 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6056648)
Goo luck with that. Take hard cash AND take someone (bigger than you) with you when you make the offer!

Why's that, Lol..I'm taking an older man and my Uncle...would that be good ?

Dan in Pasadena 05-07-2013 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCHRUMGMC (Post 6056649)
Why's that, Lol..I'm taking an older man and my Uncle...would that be good ?

Sounds good as long as he isn't a WWE fighter!

SCHRUMGMC 05-07-2013 01:44 AM

Quick question, should I have it in my Wallet or in my Pocket..Biggest thing I have thought about for awhile

Dodger 05-07-2013 02:58 AM

Schrumgmc,

I have missed some of your posts too. Is this the same truck you had that extremely long thread on a while ago titled "rat rod it" or something similar.

Maybe you could start a new thread titled "Second try" and re the cash and where to hold it, maybe start another thread again titled "purchasing tips and tricks" and then just to be sure start up another one titled "How to find another truck if I can't get my first choice".

Just a suggestion mate, might help get some good advice in the one spot rather than all over the forum.

Now back to this thread, finally worked out the wipers. The shafts in the wiper transmission were seized solid. Lots of lubricant, a vice and a pair of multi grips and they loosened up nicely. Works a treat! Another job down for registration.
Posted via Mobile Device