The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=463698)

Dan in Pasadena 07-15-2017 07:01 PM

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Thanks for all the pic's, Glen!

I've PRETTY MUCH decided on my interior design but the EXACT color is still undecided. Most likely a light tan or a saddle color. A long shot is tried-and-true black. Yeah, it's probably too hot for Southern California but it's traditional with a red paint job since forever. If I did it I'd use black cloth inserts for the actually seating area.

G&R's57GMC 07-15-2017 08:07 PM

Black cloth inserts is what I did on my black van seats . That was much better then the all vinyl that they were .

Of course you could do red cloth inserts with black trim.

gigamanx 07-17-2017 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC (Post 7991437)

I like the fuse box in the kick panel but would like it in the passenger side or behind the seat on the passenger side. Why, if you had to access it on the road it would be better then hanging out the drivers door in traffic.

Genius. I would never have thought of that. I am just starting to plan wiring for the harness and that makes a lot of sense.

Dan in Pasadena 07-17-2017 10:25 AM

It does make sense BUT the most (all?) of the wiring harness kits are made with wires too short to mount under the seat or on passenger side without extending their length. That's very doable, but it IS additional work that frankly I'm not sure is justified. How often do you really have to change a fuse in a properly wired vehicle? Rarely. In new vehicles - and frankly, mine is essentially a custom built new vehicle - I can't think of the last time I've ever needed to change a fuse. YMMV.

Dan in Pasadena 07-18-2017 08:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Took a trip to the Truck Shop today for a new headlight, brake pedal, ignition switch w/clear escutcheon & cigarette lighter. Also, the Billet Specialties 3rd brake light arrived today, it looks like a nice piece

- Sound deadner was being installed at the shop - I'm not sure what brand.

I saw the electrical installation so far:
- Fuse panel is mounted & wires divided into 3 trunks.
- 1st exits toe plate so not visible in engine compartment. These for starter & AC control wiring.
- 2nd driver side wheel well, runs forward to headlight/signal light & across to passenger side under the below-grill valance.
- 3rd set runs straight down inside firewall across floor, exiting old gas tank line hole. Across the floor the wires will be laid abreast each other and taped over w/metallic AC tape so they will be easily accessible should there ever be a need.

Sorry the last 2 photos rotated 90* because I direct loaded.

ChuckDriver 07-18-2017 10:03 PM

Looking good Dan!

Hope you are driving her soon!!

:uhmk:

oldman3 07-18-2017 11:21 PM

I agree with JJ, looking good...Jim

Dan in Pasadena 07-19-2017 12:03 AM

Thanks you guys. I'm documenting small things as a permanent record for myself. I'm sure most of it is uninteresting detail but i enjoy following along. Even now i go back pages and like seeing the progress.

Dan in Pasadena 07-19-2017 11:31 AM

3 Attachment(s)
My 3rd brake light arrived last night. It's a very nice piece BUT (there's always a "but") they don't provide recesses in the base to accept the set screws. WTF?

Also, the window rubber on TF trucks is fat so I can't bolt the mount to the lip below the window. I have to mount it on the back wall of the cab immediately below the window. I'm ok with how that will look BUT (another one!) I'll have to drill a new hole 90* from the original one in the base for the wire to pass neatly into the Cab wall.

This will leave the original hole exposed so I'll either find a flat rubber plug to cover it or possibly put a set screw in it. See pictures below:

Dan in Pasadena 07-19-2017 07:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Sound deadner continues going in. Wiring across floor is abreast using AC tape so it will not show through the carpet.

Some of those wires will exit the old gas tank openings and travel along frame rail for stop/signal lights, fuel pump, trailer wiring (well, I MIGHT tow something!:lol:) A few will stay in the cab for rear speakers, dome light and 3rd brake light.

Optima battery will be mounted behind passenger seat toward center. I've ordered the battery hold down but not the battery yet. Anyone know a cheap source for an Optima 34/78 red top?

bowt1ed 07-20-2017 12:26 PM

Dan, I know envy is not a favorable trait, but I really like the direction (and speed) you are going with your truck. Looks great. I gotta figure out my time to get my ass moving along too!

Cheers, Jim

Dan in Pasadena 07-20-2017 12:36 PM

Thanks for the nice sentiment, Jim.

I envied everyone who owned a Task Force from my 20's until I got one in the 90's. A '57 small window I lost when my 20 year marriage ended. Then it REALLY bugged me that I was never able to work on that one and make it nice until I was able to get this one in '11. So I know exactly how you feel. If it's important to you you'll eventually work it into what you want. Best of Luck! -Dan

Dan in Pasadena 07-20-2017 08:20 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I decided the seat sliders SHOULDN'T be dull aluminum even though that's what they were originally. I resprayed them gloss black to match the seat frames which were powder coated gloss black.

I mounted them with new stainless bolts (5/16-18) and washers, so they're good for at least another 60 years!

The seat bottom "vent frames" (I guess that's what you'd call them) were wire wheeled bare and painted gloss black also.

Now I need to find the black rubber they hold to the seat bottom. One of mine is good, one is torn up. SOMEBODY posted they'd found them or something that works on eBay, but I forget what they used as a search term, a little help anyone?

Dan in Pasadena 07-20-2017 08:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Seat vent frames, Before and After.

I find these things curious. It doesnt seem the solid rubber that these held in place would have done much of anything....except maybe act as a whoopie cushion. Oh well, they were there for 61 years, they'll be there again, cleaned up.

Dan in Pasadena 07-21-2017 05:37 PM

Friday, July 21, 2017

Switching to weekly updates.

- Took stock dash bezel to Mike for the DD HDX gauge panel today.
- Dropped off radiator overflow canister, vent cables, a few small items like ignition switch light, radio delete plate - I'll use til I find a CHEAP, non working factory radio I can cannibalize for the face plate portion.
- Ordered Secret Audio SRMS w/RF wireless remote, thought better of it and cancelled for their SST wired remote unit. Same but for the remote...and saved $100.

- Wiring almost complete except terminations.
- Sound insulation complete on roof & cab rear wall.
- Remaining sheets will be put inside each door.

It REALLY stops the ringing of stock sheet metal - impressed!

MEXT WEEK:
- Wire will be complete w/the wires currently laid on intake manifold, loomed and run between it & valley cover.
- Routing below engine near exhaust would be less visible but would risk too much heat/melting.
- Polished Flaming River column, HDX, 3rd brake light should all be installed and wired.
- Wires to rear will not be terminated until bed is mounted.
- 3rd party will fab 2-1/2" exhaust to rearend then wait for bed to finalize. Not sure if I'm going to:
1. Bumper
2. Dumping before rear end or
3. Side exhaust ahead of tires w/rectangular or oval tips

Opinions solicited for appearance and for performance/sound differences? Mike suggests DynoMax(?) mufflers....ever hear of them? They're a non-chambered muffler - you can drop a tennis ball straight through them. Claims they're dramatically less power reducing than chambered designs.

joedoh 07-21-2017 07:22 PM

I like using a mid pipe and rear muffler, the mid pipe quiets the drone an open muffler can get, but its usually not what people are looking for , the "shaking hammers in a metal drum" at idle and full throttle hair flattening at 20 yards. its more a little burble at idle and some ruckus at full throttle and I dont really mind the small hp loss from the more restrictive exhaust. I had something like the first and every time I went through a drive through I had to shut it off.

just staggeringly beautiful work so far, I am in awe.

Dan in Pasadena 07-21-2017 10:25 PM

I'm hugely flattered, thank you so much for the kind words!

By a "mid pipe" do you mean an H pipe connecting the two banks? My truck will have that or possibly an "X" pipe if there is enough room. The mufflers will be as far back as possible. Since they'll be under the bed there's not too much worry about drone.

I suppose I want the impossible: Relatively quiet but still aggressive!:lol:

joedoh 07-21-2017 11:49 PM

no it is a fancy term for a tiny muffler that goes upstream to break that long standing wave that happens with mufflers at the back and unbroken pipe to the collectors.

on a couple trucks I used a diesel presilencer from a dodge diesel, on a couple more I used the presilencers from 350z/370z exhausts that I always find on craigslist for ~20 bucks.

Nut Case 07-22-2017 04:30 AM

Dan

Check out "Porters". We used those on my sons 55 Ford Y block, and I liked it, going to use them on my build.. I think that they may be what your looking for. My son recorded the sound at start up, look for 55 Ford Y block with porters on Youtube . Its been 3-5 years back. I think porters have a great sound not to loud, but very menacing.

If I were you I'd have a hard time sleeping at night as close as you are to "cruising. Things are looking fandamtastic, strong work.

Keep on keepin on.

NC

Dude you're sooooo close :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Advanced Design 07-22-2017 01:42 PM

Dan, truck is coming together nicely. Good call on the seat tracks with changing them to black. So many details to attend to in a build. Still enjoying tagging along.

Dan in Pasadena 07-23-2017 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7997131)
Dan, truck is coming together nicely. Good call on the seat tracks with changing them to black. So many details to attend to in a build. Still enjoying tagging along.

Thanks all you guys! Doug, it's all the tiny details that I LIKE thinking of and doing but they take so much time.`

MIKESAD50 07-23-2017 09:48 AM

Dan truck is looking great.
I did 2 1/2" pipe with Xpipe and Stainless works chambered turbo muffle with it exting in the rear fender just in front of the wheel. sounds good and not obnoxious loud, not sure of drone yet since haven't been over 30-35mph yet

Dan in Pasadena 07-23-2017 05:23 PM

Thanks,
Mike is strongly advising me not to use a chambered muffler. He puts every car/truck he builds on the dyno and has found as much as 61hp at the wheels using a straight through muffler vs. a chambered muffler! That test was on a mildly cammed LS1. I'm going to follow his advise and most likely use the Dynomax in a long length, 22' or 23" - I want it to sound good but not over-the-top loud. That's sounds cool when you build it and gets annoying after awhile, I think. YMMV.

lower50's 07-25-2017 12:25 AM

Wow your doing amazing work!! The wiring is so neat and tidy, taking your time like that will prevent problems down the road. I have always been a fan of straight dual exhaust (no crossover) I just like the sound. Then use a 18" resonator as a muffler.

ptc 07-27-2017 11:09 AM

Truck is coming along Dan - probably itching to drive it already??? I know I am with mine...;)

Found this online for you-talking about retro radios

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/p...ant=9373652099

Dan in Pasadena 07-27-2017 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptc (Post 8001432)
Truck is coming along Dan - probably itching to drive it already??? I know I am with mine...;)

Found this online for you-talking about retro radios

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/p...ant=9373652099

Thanks ptc! Yes, I'm jonesing to have her done and home.

Retrosound is EXACTLY what I'd originally intended to use but then Mike said they're Chinese-made junk and he's had nothing but problems w/them. I did a couple searches online and there are lots of negative reviews punctuated by a few that say they worked fine. I went with the Secret Audio SST but there are also plenty of negative reviews about those too though Mike swears by them. So I don't know.

I'm not even slightly an audiophile as I mostly listen to sportstalk or Dodgers games and a little news. The only time I really listen to music is on the long trips - and I mostly will not drive the truck for that. Maybe a few weekend trips to my son's in Atascadero (3-1/2 hours north for those not familiar with California).

I am procrastinating badly over starting the bed wood finishing. It's been in the garage for two weeks. I've stained a test piece with 5 different colors but it isn't red oak so it's really only an indicator of what it might look like. Trying to make wood and upholstery sort of "go together" or at least not clash. I plan to start on it this weekend!:lol:

59chev 07-27-2017 06:50 PM

http://www.radiosforoldcars.com/

This is the one I am looking at. Looks original but has a modern amp, bluetooth, and audio in/out. It is pricey though..

Dan in Pasadena 07-27-2017 11:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks, I found that site right after my Secret Audio SST was delivered! You're right, it's pricey - $525 vs. $279 plus I don't think it has station presets and is not compatible with an iPhone. An iPod yes, but iPhone no.

I'm sure a few of you will now chime in saying, "I have one I would have sold you cheap!" But after searching high & low for a stock radio to fill the dash I finally found one on eBay. $110 (yikes!) and doesn't even work - delivered to my door today. The chrome is excellent, I can't see the pointer and the lens is a little dusty inside. I don't know if the face is accessible to clean but if not? "Patina!" Lol

Nut Case 07-28-2017 03:12 AM

Dan

Here is the post on Porter mufflers that we put in my sons 55 ford with the 3 duces on a 333 stroked Y block. We did a frame off and engine build. Fun project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMzx9M08hec

The best part is when you get back to the tail pipes

Keep on keepin on

NC

Russell Ashley 07-28-2017 09:34 AM

Dan, I think you might have gotten some bad advice on the radio. Someone chime in if I'm wrong, but the Retro Sound Apache is the good one that you want and the Custom Auto Sound is the one to stay away from. At least that's the way I was advised from members of this forum when I was radio shopping. The Apache model has the features that you want, blue tooth, inputs, a remote, and other features that I don't use now that I have the presets set.. I'm not an audiophile either and so I didn't use the best speakers but it sounds good to me.

Dan in Pasadena 07-28-2017 11:36 AM

NC - Thanks for the link. The sound of a traditional Y block, three two's & glass pack mufflers is absolutely classic. LOVE it. I don't know how glass packs would translate to an LS engine, it would be interesting. I'll see if there are any on YouTube.

Russ - Opinions are all over the place on the Custom Auto Sound radios vs Secret Audio and pretty much all the other options. Obviously from last night's post I've already committed to a stichbradio in the dash and I've already purchased the Secret Audio unit....fingers crossed that I don't end up regretting my choices. I know zero about speakers but the upholstery guy I'm using has an audio guy that I'll discuss my choices with when it's to that point.

Flysocal 07-28-2017 01:00 PM

I like the idea of a simple radio. Set it to your favorite station and forget it. With all the stimulation we get especially living in LALA land it would be nice to turn the radio off and listen to the motor. I had a truck a while ago with a broken radio and had peace and quite for many long road trips. It was nice. That being said, my 49 is getting a simple in glove box modern radio with USB so I can charge and listen to pandora. 2 4" speakers in the original dash location and that's it. Keeping it simple cause I want to hear my truck. Great progress Dan, can't wait to see this truck done! I'm about 6 months behind you.

Dan in Pasadena 07-28-2017 02:00 PM

Hi SoCal!
This truck may/may not be "perfect" to me. But the one thing I DON'T want is regrets. I waited my entire life to build it so I'm only trying to satisfy myself.

90% of the time I listen to sports talk or the Dodgers game. Very little music but when I do I want to be able to hear it over the engine (MAY be tough w/this engine) and I don't want speakers to buzz or sound "muddy". Other than that my standards are pretty low.
PS: Sitting at The Truck Shop counter typing this. This place is a fustercluck!

Dan in Pasadena 07-28-2017 07:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Friday, July 28, 2017

Photos below show some of what's done as of this week. Most of the spaghetti hanging in cab is in the standard AAW kit for power windows and door locks which I'm not using.

- Dakota Digital HDX cluster was put in today. I REALLY like its look. YMMV
- Dome light, cigar lighter, ignition, gas tank sender are in and terminated.
- Tail, license & headlight wiring is run to the destination, but not terminated.
- Tail lights and license light won't be terminated until bed is installed later.
- ECU next to battery. It'll be directly connected, but they give you 4 ft. of cable. That's all the cable coiled on top the ECU in photo.

As of now, I am running no reverse light/s. I can do it with bed roll lights, small lights near the license, one bigger light underneath, or maybe not use one at all.

The only thing that was not done as promised was re-assembly (disassembled to be polished) & installation of steering column. So I need to pick a steering wheel soon or possibly use the stock wheel for awhile.

There will be a main shut off for the battery and some kind of theft control which hasn't quite been decided. Of course I won't be posting photos or much discussion about that.

Flysocal 07-28-2017 08:36 PM

I REALLY like the gauges. I must say, the dash on the TF trucks and cars of this era are my favorite of all time.

ptc 07-29-2017 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flysocal (Post 8002312)
I like the idea of a simple radio. Set it to your favorite station and forget it. With all the stimulation we get especially living in LALA land it would be nice to turn the radio off and listen to the motor. I had a truck a while ago with a broken radio and had peace and quite for many long road trips. It was nice. That being said, my 49 is getting a simple in glove box modern radio with USB so I can charge and listen to pandora. 2 4" speakers in the original dash location and that's it. Keeping it simple cause I want to hear my truck. Great progress Dan, can't wait to see this truck done! I'm about 6 months behind you.

LOL totally agree with this - Im not gonna spend much on mine because Ill have no choice but to HEAR my engine.... !

Love the gauges Dan!

Kim57 07-29-2017 09:15 AM

Gauges are very nice.
Kim

Dan in Pasadena 07-29-2017 03:04 PM

Thanks everyone who likes the gauges. I know they very UN traditional and definitely not everyone's cup of tea.

I was originally going to go with the aftermarket set that looks kinda original.

Then I thought I'd go with individual round gauges in an engine-turned plate to save money.

Finally I said (unfortunately, I've said this a number of times) "The entire truck is very untraditional with the LS engine, electronic tranny, 4 wheel power discs, IFS and R&P steering...why cheap out now?"

ChuckDriver 07-29-2017 09:10 PM

Want be long now!!

:uhmk:

Nut Case 07-30-2017 03:02 AM

This is just great, all the little fiddly last minute "bugs" Strong work, keep it up. Please do a video as soon as you're ready to fire up/drive and share. I predict your going to some show over labor day and get a Glowing Trophy.....:devil::devil::devil:

This makes me anise, I've bustin my butter knives on my 28 X 40 shed. Just wrapping up getting utilities and such blessed of bu the local building inspectors. Then get the floor poured (hydronic heat) 1/2 bath. Got a question on the concretefloor?

Do I slope from the front to back so it can drain, or Flat flat flat?

Respond in PM'm so as to not hi-jack Danny boys thread.

I'm very excited for you dude. Keep on keepin on

NC

:clap::clap::clap::clap: