The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

MARTINSR 10-18-2018 01:15 AM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

1 Attachment(s)
I got the patch welded in and finished on the RR bed stake pocket.

Brian

mikebte 10-18-2018 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8366821)
I got the patch welded in and finished on the RR bed stake pocket.

Brian

Looking great. Makes me want to start doing body work on mine. But I must wait.

MARTINSR 10-19-2018 12:22 AM

Well, next to nothing, maybe not even the five minutes. Today is my wife's birthday so we went out for a wonderful Japanese dinner with the family and when we got home I got out there and simply primed over the bare metal on the bed side I welded the patches on so I could but it back outside to wait for stripping and priming. I need to get back to the hood and get it in primer then all the other panels, get them in primer so I can move on.

Brian

idbeast 10-19-2018 08:04 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I'm doing the one step forward two steps back... cut the dash for the Navigation unit only to find that hits both the Wiper motor and the A/C air distribution housing. So I went down to the local car toys and bought an Alpine 9" with a single din. Got it in and dash reworked.

mikebte 10-19-2018 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idbeast (Post 8367514)
I'm doing the one step forward two steps back... cut the dash for the Navigation unit only to find that hits both the Wiper motor and the A/C air distribution housing. So I went down to the local car toys and bought an Alpine 9" with a single din. Got it in and dash reworked.

That is cool, you will love the Alpine. They have one of my favorite GPS systems.

mikebte 10-19-2018 03:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Removed the diff for new bearings. Also removed my old doff with the 3.38 gears.

dsraven 10-19-2018 03:56 PM

nice job on the fab.

MiraclePieCo 10-19-2018 10:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Final mounting of home made mirror brackets. What enables the door edge mounting is these cool flat nuts:

Coolant spewing from under water neck bolt. Generic gasket had too much slop, allowed it to get off-center on installation:

MARTINSR 10-20-2018 12:45 AM

Nothing romantic, cleaning up rust on the underside of half the hood, whooo hoooo.

Brian

MARTINSR 10-20-2018 08:30 PM

First day in a while to spend some decent time on the truck. I did a bunch of stripping and sand blasting on the underside of the hood halves. Got a treatment of Ospho and hope to get them primed tomorrow. If not, Monday morning.

Brian

Black_Sheep 10-20-2018 09:15 PM

Among other things, I got the Soff Seal door weatherstrip installed. Good stuff...

DransportGarage 10-20-2018 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_Sheep (Post 8368517)
Among other things, I got the Soff Seal door weatherstrip installed. Good stuff...

Smart choice.

mikebte 10-21-2018 12:37 AM

After 100 successful miles in town I opted to do a test run on the hwy. I learned that at 73-74 the engine stops going. As to what I was unsure and drove home to diagnos. After many hours I opted to go for another drive. I asked the wife to go with and record the systoms. On my 2nd drive I had the same results, cuts out at 73-74 in both 3rd and 4th gear. The wife said it seams like it's governed. Omg, she is onto something. I went home, adjusted the transmission buffer control and calibrated the speedo again. Took it out for a 3rd run and my issue was resolved.

Next I spent some time wrapping up small stuff. Finished the seat belts, moved some wiring and made some repairs to the wiper system. During so I dropped a spring into an AC duct.
:dohh:
So I fished my camera in the duct and was able to find the spring. While trying to figure out how to retrieve it, my wife showed up and recommended a hook that goes on my camera, sure enough she saved me a second time.
Pieced together the repaired wiper system and stopped for the day.

domnata 10-21-2018 03:24 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Spend a little time with paint...

DransportGarage 10-21-2018 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domnata (Post 8368634)

Now, that HAS to turn some heads over there in Deutschland!

mikebte 10-21-2018 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domnata (Post 8368634)

Very cool

Black_Sheep 10-21-2018 01:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Windshield time...

MiraclePieCo 10-21-2018 09:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
FIRST DRIVE!!! :metal:

The overriding goal has been to get this truck on the road and worry about the details later. Today I finally got everything buttoned up enough to drive it around the block. The trip was flawless! My impressions:

Good:
With a Mustang II rack, who needs power steering? Even with such a big truck, manual steering turns with one finger. The engine runs great, stays cool and doesn't leak. Tranny shifts fine. All the gauges work perfectly. Seating position and location of all controls is very comfy.

Bad:
The brakes need further bleeding. The front springs are sagging severely and need replacement ASAP.

My wife said I was driving too fast to get a good photo, but she caught a pic as I brought the truck back to the barn:

Black_Sheep 10-21-2018 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8369135)

The overriding goal has been to get this truck on the road and worry about the details later. Today I finally got everything buttoned up enough to drive it around the block. The trip was flawless! My impressions:

Good:
With a Mustang II rack, who needs power steering? Even with such a big truck, manual steering turns with one finger. The engine runs great, stays cool and doesn't leak. Tranny shifts fine. All the gauges work perfectly.

Bad:
The brakes need further bleeding. The front springs are sagging severely and need replacement ASAP.

My wife said I was driving too fast to get a good photo, but she caught a pic as I brought the truck home:

That's awesome!

DransportGarage 10-21-2018 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8369135)

Good:
With a Mustang II rack, who needs power steering? Even with such a big truck, manual steering turns with one finger. The engine runs great, stays cool and doesn't leak. Tranny shifts fine. All the gauges work perfectly. Seating position and location of all controls is very comfy.

Bad:

My wife said I was driving too fast to get a good photo, but she caught a pic as I brought the truck home:

A few tweaks, then...ROAD TRIP !!

MARTINSR 10-21-2018 10:39 PM

RIGHT ON, DAMN there is nothing better than that first successful drive.

Brian

MARTINSR 10-21-2018 10:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nothing romantic, nothing exciting but I got something done! :metal:

Brian

oldman3 10-21-2018 11:14 PM

MPC, congrats on trip around the block...Jim

MiraclePieCo 10-22-2018 02:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DransportGarage
A few tweaks, then...ROAD TRIP !!

Yeah, I've been thinking about a trip to Arizona to visit my brother.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3
MPC, congrats on trip around the block...Jim

Thanks. Ha ha, I almost didn't make it out of the driveway:

idbeast 10-22-2018 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsraven (Post 8367745)
nice job on the fab.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikebte (Post 8367563)
That is cool, you will love the Alpine. They have one of my favorite GPS systems.

Thanks mikebte and dsraven!

idbeast 10-22-2018 08:55 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Test painted the dash to see if I liked it...

MiraclePieCo 10-22-2018 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idbeast (Post 8369772)

You get a "Like" from me! Awesome color!

idbeast 10-22-2018 09:01 PM

5 Attachment(s)
My bed wood stuff came today.

DransportGarage 10-22-2018 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idbeast (Post 8369779)
My bed wood stuff came today.

Cherry? That's some awesome stuff !!!

DransportGarage 10-22-2018 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idbeast (Post 8369772)

I'm good with that !!

MARTINSR 10-22-2018 09:58 PM

That wood is beautiful! I have always liked the idea of the wood in the bed finished off nice, it's like furniture.

Brian

Black_Sheep 10-22-2018 10:15 PM

The dash looks killer!

idbeast 10-22-2018 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8369775)
You get a "Like" from me! Awesome color!

Thanks MiralePieCo!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DransportGarage (Post 8369788)
I'm good with that !!

Thanks DransportGarage

Quote:

Originally Posted by DransportGarage (Post 8369785)
Cherry? That's some awesome stuff !!!

It's from a Civil War era tree, but I don't know what it actually is!

Thanks Brian and Mark, It's starting to feel like I'm making progress again!!!

MARTINSR 10-23-2018 12:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I haven't wanted to work to get re-use the sand I am using when sand blasting, just figured not a big deal. Well, now I have a LOT of sand out behind the garage, so I swept some up and figured I would strain it and re-use it. Got some coarse screen and that is looking pretty good. There was a brace on the rear of the fender where it bolts to the cab that seemed loose, but ok, I guess that's how it was made, NO. Luckily I took at another look at that, and sure enough a row of spot welds broke. Bob Silverton, the guy who welded the brace in at the factory June 5th 1948 must have came to work drunk. Anyway I drilled out the top layer to plug weld it back.

Gas welded another small area at the other end where some cracks were and headed off to relax. So after I welded, ground metal, drilled holes, I walked into the house and fell over while pulling my pants off hitting my tail bone on the door striker in the wash room cutting an inch and a half slice in my back! Nurse Melanie took care of it, I am wondering how this will be tonight trying to sleep.

Brian

nvrdone 10-23-2018 09:34 AM

damn that hurts just hearing about it!! take care.

MARTINSR 10-23-2018 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvrdone (Post 8370028)
damn that hurts just hearing about it!! take care.

Thanks, I am AMAZED at how little it hurt and I actually got a darn nice nights sleep. WHOOOO HOOOOO!

Brian

DransportGarage 10-23-2018 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8370039)
Thanks, I am AMAZED at how little it hurt and I actually got a darn nice nights sleep. WHOOOO HOOOOO!

Brian

More importantly, did nurse Melanie show up after you were pulling your pants... never mind. I won't even ask if she got a darn nice night's...

mikebte 10-23-2018 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8369910)
I walked into the house and fell over while pulling my pants off hitting my tail bone on the door striker in the wash room cutting an inch and a half slice in my back!
Brian

I got a pretty good laugh at your expense. Good to hear your ok.

:haha:

MARTINSR 10-24-2018 01:20 AM

The first game of the Red Sox-Dodgers World Series was tonight (GOOO RED SOX!) so how much work could I possibly get done on the truck? Well, I got some more rust cleaned up in the fender and it's looking good. I will be sand blasting it tomorrow I hope.

Brian

evilokc 10-24-2018 03:21 PM

ive been driving my truck a lot lately and a couple of days ago I noticed what felt like a slight wobble in the front. upon searching the new fan has a slight wobble that It didn't before. I went to retighten the bolts and found on that's stripped. I plan to go get a slightly longer bolt and put a nylock nut on the back. hoping to get my hood back on today as well. its a cold rainy day today though and motivation is lacking..