The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   PO has me PO'd (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=210641)

swamp rat 10-06-2013 10:58 AM

Re: PO has me PO'd

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 6285304)
Recieved my 2 3/4" brakes from tkorieck yesterday, just got to sandblast and pull the axles. NAPA still carries the brake drums

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2890/9...0d598082_c.jpg
20130925_130613 by jarosaj, on Flickr

I took a lot of pic's but being as i did a disk conversion I now wish i had jist unhooled the emergency cable and unbolted the backing plate and removed the whole assembly, nice move! :metal:

jaros44sr 10-06-2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp rat (Post 6301740)
I took a lot of pic's but being as i did a disk conversion I now wish i had jist unhooled the emergency cable and unbolted the backing plate and removed the whole assembly, nice move! :metal:

I just read your rebuild on the axles, very good write up...thanks for taking the time.

Those backing plates were that way when Korineck shipped them to me. His clever, not mine

swamp rat 10-07-2013 01:25 AM

Thanks for visiting! and posting the pic's too.

jaros44sr 10-07-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp rat (Post 6303097)
Thanks for visiting! and posting the pic's too.

Your welcome. No one wants to read what i have to say, but everyone looks at the pics:lol:

Cant wait to get back to my fuel lines, brakes are boring and a PITA

hgs_notes 10-07-2013 09:54 AM

You're doing a great job on this. You are taking your time but the details you have are outstanding. I'm more of a slap it together and get it done type and try to do the best I can at that pace. I have the determination to finish but lack the patience to make it great.

Love the gold. ;)

My paint looks completely different in the sun but in the shade or non-direct lighting it is very close to the wrap color you have picked. Go glossy with the gold. The matte look just makes it look old and faded or weathered, which I don't think you will be happy with.

jaros44sr 10-07-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hgs_notes (Post 6303363)
You're doing a great job on this. You are taking your time but the details you have are outstanding. I'm more of a slap it together and get it done type and try to do the best I can at that pace. I have the determination to finish but lack the patience to make it great.

Love the gold. ;)

My paint looks completely different in the sun but in the shade or non-direct lighting it is very close to the wrap color you have picked. Go glossy with the gold. The matte look just makes it look old and faded or weathered, which I don't think you will be happy with.

Thanks, its nice to get noticed when you put so much effort and time into something, believe it or not, but when i first started, it was going to be a slap and go. But, i joined this forum, and felt these guys deserved a better effort from me....one thing led to another, and you know how that goes. Plus i landed a much better job then i previously had, so that funded my dreams

Seems like the glossy gold is winning out....btw, really enjoy your build, gave me something to read when i wasnt working on my truck. You, my friend, have a much better grasp of the kings english, and express it well

hgs_notes 10-08-2013 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 6304482)
Thanks, its nice to get noticed when you put so much effort and time into something, believe it or not, but when i first started, it was going to be a slap and go. But, i joined this forum, and felt these guys deserved a better effort from me....one thing led to another, and you know how that goes. Plus i landed a much better job then i previously had, so that funded my dreams

Seems like the glossy gold is winning out....btw, really enjoy your build, gave me something to read when i wasnt working on my truck. You, my friend, have a much better grasp of the kings english, and express it well

I do the builds for myself, and the build threads here were primarily for myself also. It's like my truck diary. It's great to share the accomplishments with people who have been there and can understand how much work goes into it or for people who are looking to get there. And it's good to share the sorrows when things don't go quite as you planned and you just need some help, an idea or a kick in the pants.

I don't deserve your best efforts. I haven't done anything to earn that. If thats where you find the motivation to do this incredible build and to take the time to share it here, then kudos to you for identifying that and using it to push onward. Whatever it takes. Finding that drive is sometimes the biggest challenge, even beyond time and money.

I may not post a lot on this or other threads, but I'm watching, admiring and learning from some talented people. If I can help or entertain others along the way I'm just giving what I get.

jaros44sr 10-08-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hgs_notes (Post 6304855)
I do the builds for myself, and the build threads here were primarily for myself also. It's like my truck diary. It's great to share the accomplishments with people who have been there and can understand how much work goes into it or for people who are looking to get there. And it's good to share the sorrows when things don't go quite as you planned and you just need some help, an idea or a kick in the pants.

I don't deserve your best efforts. I haven't done anything to earn that. If thats where you find the motivation to do this incredible build and to take the time to share it here, then kudos to you for identifying that and using it to push onward. Whatever it takes. Finding that drive is sometimes the biggest challenge, even beyond time and money.

I may not post a lot on this or other threads, but I'm watching, admiring and learning from some talented people. If I can help or entertain others along the way I'm just giving what I get.

You know, i have to agree. That third part of the restoration process is desire to complete a task, and that can be very hard to achieve with all the trials and tribulations life throws at us on a daily basis.

Youve succeeded in building a very nice truck, one that your son will get to enjoy. Possibly, take up the torch and build something someday. We can only plant the seed, and hope it grows in our children.....

I dont think i could have done a paint job like that and retained what little bit of sanity i have left, way to much tedious work for me, but you pulled it, and it looks great.

Gotta get back to work

hgs_notes 10-09-2013 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 6306046)
Gotta get back to work

Yep. Too many posts without a pic. ;)

jaros44sr 10-09-2013 11:41 AM

:lol:
Quote:

Originally Posted by hgs_notes (Post 6306511)
Yep. Too many posts without a pic. ;)

:lol:

Ill see what i can do to remedy that situation....

Found awierd problem when i was thinking about adjusting the brakes. The backing plates have two oval slots in them, but neither line up with the star wheel. I have many tools at my disposal, but none that is a offset adjusting tool, i even considering bending one. While i was thinking of the solution to this problem, and getting ready to paint the drums, isaw the answer. GMC put the access slot in the drum.....:dohh::

Good talking to ya

hgs_notes 10-09-2013 02:13 PM

Or the adjuster is in backwards. Ask me how I know.

jaros44sr 10-09-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hgs_notes (Post 6306983)
Or the adjuster is in backwards. Ask me how I know.

Nope, cant be that, the slots are even further out then that....but, i feel your pain;)

Wow, i finally got to post a pic...lol

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5346/1...d4c621d3_c.jpg
20131005_195633 by jarosaj, on Flickr

ta2ed 10-22-2013 08:55 AM

Yeah, the slots in the backing plate are just for shoe inspection, the adjuster is on the outside of the drum. Props to you Jim. This is 1 nice build & thread.

jaros44sr 10-22-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ta2ed (Post 6327200)
Yeah, the slots in the backing plate are just for shoe inspection, the adjuster is on the outside of the drum. Props to you Jim. This is 1 nice build & thread.

Thanks Frank, glad your enjoying the thread....

Ill see what i can do to improve my description of the wood bed install

Sure are alot of great builds going on over here on the blazer side, arent there....

jaros44sr 10-22-2013 12:48 PM

Hate to give you guys a response without a pic...picked up this period correct diff. cover on our classifieds, but it makes my axle look like crap. Ill have to fix that!

Having a problem with the fuel pump fitting between the cross sills, seems that ill have to rotate pump, and have the fuel lines come in from the passenger side, then loop over to the drivers side

Also, ordered up the recessed head SS bolts from totally stainless, needed longer bolts to compensate for the thickness of the cover

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5504/1...fcdc3c2a_c.jpg
20131022_122130 by jarosaj, on Flickr

Dale99 10-22-2013 04:03 PM

Thats a HUGE cover!

jaros44sr 10-22-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale99 (Post 6327828)
Thats a HUGE cover!

YEP, its about 5" deep....oughta keep my rearend cool;)

red87gmc 10-22-2013 07:03 PM

what an awsome build

swamp rat 10-22-2013 07:19 PM

What does that say on the back of the cover??

jaros44sr 10-22-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red87gmc (Post 6328103)
what an awsome build

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp rat (Post 6328135)
What does that say on the back of the cover??

Thanks for looking red, and the compliments

I think it says rough country, or whoever makes the lift kits...ill have to check tomorrow

ta2ed 10-23-2013 06:56 AM

Bed pics Jim! Lol just kidding. Damn that thing is goin to e awesome
When you're done with it. Very inspiring, keep up the good work man.

jaros44sr 10-23-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ta2ed (Post 6328866)
Bed pics Jim! Lol just kidding. Damn that thing is goin to e awesome
When you're done with it. Very inspiring, keep up the good work man.

OK,OK.....lol, here is the key to making the wood bed work. 1973 and up rear cross member. It has a 3/4" recess built in that accepts the bed wood, plus it has holes in place for the SS attachment rails. The cross member is bolted in with about 3-4 bolts per side, and tack welded across the top where the tailgate would go

Wheelhouses have to be modified slightly, to get the offset of the bedsides to line up again, but this is easy, just a cut in the sheetmetal and rebend in the proper location. Also, you have to slot the mounting holes, since the wood is thicker than the sheetmetal floor. Ive used fender washers and shims to spread the load of the bolts

The wood (with the wheelhouse notch cut into it) has to be flopped right to left, so the board with the extra lenght can be cut to fit. Keep the curvature of the wood up (growth ring) as this provides better protection to the elements

The only other area of concern is the 'B' post, the small piece of wood has to be routed out on the underside to give clearance for proper fit

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5473/1...50189e59_c.jpg
20131023_113723 by jarosaj, on Flickr

ta2ed 10-23-2013 12:17 PM

Thanks Jim, my main concern was at the B post and the front of the bed. I have a whole kit for a pickup rear sill, cross braces and strips. I was mainly wondering how you did the front part of the bed.i didn't know if you recessed the boards or not. I appreciate the advice. I don't mean to aggravate, but the wife says I do that a lot! Lol

ta2ed 10-23-2013 12:19 PM

By the way, that rear diff cover looks bad ass!

jaros44sr 10-23-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ta2ed (Post 6329239)
Thanks Jim, my main concern was at the B post and the front of the bed. I have a whole kit for a pickup rear sill, cross braces and strips. I was mainly wondering how you did the front part of the bed.i didn't know if you recessed the boards or not. I appreciate the advice. I don't mean to aggravate, but the wife says I do that a lot! Lol

No problem here.....

I sat the bed wood on top of the step up, then drilled holes in the flange. Still have to buy the little blocks of wood that go between the bed floor, seals up the space, so no exhaust enters cab

The small piece is a trial and fit affair at the 'B' post, luckily it would be cheap to replace if it was a bad fit

Show me pics of how you addressed this area, im up for any new ideas

jaros44sr 10-23-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ta2ed (Post 6329245)
By the way, that rear diff cover looks bad ass!

Size does matter:lol:

skorpioskorpio 10-23-2013 02:01 PM

Didn't you end up moving your tank forward some? Hope your big diff and the tank don't fight for the same space.

ta2ed 10-23-2013 02:40 PM

Yeah,that would suck

jaros44sr 10-23-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skorpioskorpio (Post 6329419)
Didn't you end up moving your tank forward some? Hope your big diff and the tank don't fight for the same space.

Well not finalized, but was thinking, planning along those lines. 2" could pose a problem with clearance on the diff., right now im looking at turning my fuel pump 180 degrees, and putting it in the stock position....

Also, rethinking the fuel filler neck on the tank, to put the stock neck on there. If all else fails, the aluminum cover could not be used, but well see

Any progress on your build?

skorpioskorpio 10-24-2013 03:41 AM

Sorry to point that out, just remember reading back in your thread somewhere that you moved the tank forward, and that my friend is some knarly diff jewelry.

Mine, well my vendor lockup is starting to loosen it seems. My truck, minus the tub, is all blasted now. Porterbuilt is supposed to send me out the replacement rear suspension this week. The car that got my truck kicked out of the body shop is done now (E L Cords personal Cord) so they can start doing some of the body work. My custom, dialed in, power steering / hydroboost pump is ready to be picked up sporting a cool custom aluminum reservoir. Underframe pedal rework to fit the hydroboost booster should be done next week along with my sliced oil pan. Oh and I got a new souped up computer that should have enough welly to run Solidworks considering all my friends that were going to do that are occupied with other things, I'll have to teach myself 3D CAD I guess. Now if everything shows up as scheduled I just hope there is room next to Larry to get my suspension all fitted up.

Frustrating when everything stalls out like that, pretty much all summer. I appreciate the fact that you've followed along enough to ask, it's been a stalled out thread for a while I know. Oh and looks like I'm probably on track to get a half top early next year from Kurt, nice guy, I'm probably going to have him send it to me as raw halves and get it finished out out here in LA since that is the part he seems to be having issues with.

jaros44sr 10-24-2013 11:53 AM

Skorp, i think what peaked my interest first in your build, was the old enduros, great work on them. Ive gotten back into riding this last few years, after about 40 years away. My dual sport was a blast this summer, and i gained enough confidance in my ability to push it hard. Its like driving a sports car on these back country roads around here...

Sooo, i was hooked, always enjoy seeing major mods. being attempted. When it all comes together, should be a excellant ride with all the improvments.

Plus the fact you were using pin drives, i needed know how you were going to pull that off....ive contemplated those for my 4X4 for many years, but the idea is stalled again. But, i did contact your vender and have gotten closer with their help...good people over there

Anyway, enjoy your writing stlye(brain fart), and look forward to your continued updates.

Im not very good at linking a bunch of words and thoughts together(mind wanders often), so, i try to fill my thread with pics, and let everyone else form their own thoughts of what im trying to accomplish

skorpioskorpio 10-24-2013 02:10 PM

Interstingly my last crazy road racer car build was built in Philly back in the '80s, ironically another aluminum engine swap, that one a '63 Buick Skylark engine into a '76 Buick Skyhawk which met it's demise on the Belgium block of Germantown Ave. Whole front end came apart attempting a quick flip onto a side street, I haven't owned a unibody car since. :lol:

Those dual sports are just plain fun to ride, I raced 6 seasons back in the late '70s, 2 Motocross, 2 Enduro, and 2 Flatrack all on 4 stroke Honda singles. I actually have most of the parts to do a bored out thumper cafe racer (440 cc) once the truck is done, which seems a long way off right about now.

When the Skyhawk broke, I sold it, what was left of it, with every intention of buying a Honda 500 intercepter, which never happened. Philly had some fantastic roads to play on, particularly in Chester county and in and around Fairmont park. Now here I am 30 years later on the other coast, and again with great roads and I'm building the vehicles from that time that I never had a chance to. The main project inbetween then and now was/is a lifted square body Suburban with 37s that no longer fits my needs or parking spots or parking garages for that matter.

jaros44sr 10-24-2013 08:37 PM

Thats wierd to hear Germantown Ave and Chester County coming from a left coast guy. I got your drift on cobble stones, they suck! Seriously....

I think, if i ever get this truck done, ill build a cafe racer out of a norton or a triumph. My early days of riding were spent on english bikes

Soooo, what took you to California?

skorpioskorpio 10-25-2013 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 6331514)
Thats wierd to hear Germantown Ave and Chester County coming from a left coast guy. I got your drift on cobble stones, they suck! Seriously....

I think, if i ever get this truck done, ill build a cafe racer out of a norton or a triumph. My early days of riding were spent on english bikes

Soooo, what took you to California?

I started in the middle actually.

Not that my truck budget doesn't make most bike projects look like pocket change, Brit bikes have just gotten so expensive to do. Besides, I'm a speed demon at heart so to keep myself in check, I've decided to limit my future projects to 6 cylinder cars and 1 cylinder bikes. Not that that is a good plan since my 6 will be double the HP of the original 8 in the truck and a built Honda single will beat a CB750 of the same year to 60 easily, but it helps me sleep at night, or at least have pleasent dreams.

What took me to California? A truck, a dog and a stripper, fitting I suppose since I was in South Carolina at the time, I mean it sounds like a country song, no? I was a consultant, I've lived in 14 states, spent more than a week in almost 40 of them, my Suburban has had tags from 6. Dog died, Stripper ran away, but I still have the truck for now and I had that before the other 2.

jaros44sr 10-25-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skorpioskorpio (Post 6331932)
I started in the middle actually.

Not that my truck budget doesn't make most bike projects look like pocket change, Brit bikes have just gotten so expensive to do. Besides, I'm a speed demon at heart so to keep myself in check, I've decided to limit my future projects to 6 cylinder cars and 1 cylinder bikes. Not that that is a good plan since my 6 will be double the HP of the original 8 in the truck and a built Honda single will beat a CB750 of the same year to 60 easily, but it helps me sleep at night, or at least have pleasent dreams.

What took me to California? A truck, a dog and a stripper, fitting I suppose since I was in South Carolina at the time, I mean it sounds like a country song, no? I was a consultant, I've lived in 14 states, spent more than a week in almost 40 of them, my Suburban has had tags from 6. Dog died, Stripper ran away, but I still have the truck for now and I had that before the other 2.

Well, i guess it could been worse, the sub. died, your dog ran away, and the stripper was still around....

Didnt know the engish stuff was or is expensive, figures, stuff i like costs money. Maybe ill have to rethink my next project

Well im still stuck on this fuel tank install.....yesterday i looked at dropping the tank 3/8" , and going with the factory location. If the filler neck still clears the frame, i should be set, ill see what challenges today brings

May have figured out how to install the oem filler neck on this repop tank

jaros44sr 10-25-2013 01:02 PM

OK, the 3/8" worked ( dropped the tank down) for the fuel pump clearance, with the tank in the OEM location. Body can still be raised, if need be....

Now i have to tackle the filler neck, out with the repop, in with OEM. I am really getting tired of putting all my thoughts into this tank mod., as im sure you guys are tired of reading about it...thank goodness i dont get paid by the hour

jaros44sr 10-27-2013 09:37 AM

Removed the stubby neck....i want to repeat, this tank never had any fuel or any other flammable liquid in it

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3823/1...b835e8bc_c.jpg
20131026_132208 by jarosaj, on Flickr

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5504/1...e93e3761_c.jpg
20131026_132257 by jarosaj, on Flickr

jaros44sr 10-27-2013 01:08 PM

Tank is up and in....repop mounting straps leave alot to be desired. Plan is to use the OEM mounting parts and the galvanized straps of the repops

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2852/1...b3c64900_c.jpg
20131027_125821 by jarosaj, on Flickr

SONOSADSACK 10-27-2013 09:11 PM

Nice work on the tank Jim. I’ve been putting that job off as long as possible as I haven’t been real sure what way I want to go.
Jumping back to post #2126 (wow 2126 posts!)
“it’s nice to get noticed when you put so much effort and time into something, believe it or not, but when I first started, it was going to be a slap and go. But, I joined this forum, and felt these guys deserved a better effort from me....one thing led to another, and you know how that goes.” I am like hgs_notes “I may not post a lot on this or other threads, but I'm watching, admiring and learning from some talented people.” I’ve only posted a little over 200 times since 2009 but I do watch and learn too. And, I would have to add the quality of work that you are doing inspires and excites guys like me. It keeps me going and that is much appreciated.

jaros44sr 10-28-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SONOSADSACK (Post 6335708)
Nice work on the tank Jim. I’ve been putting that job off as long as possible as I haven’t been real sure what way I want to go.
Jumping back to post #2126 (wow 2126 posts!)
“it’s nice to get noticed when you put so much effort and time into something, believe it or not, but when I first started, it was going to be a slap and go. But, I joined this forum, and felt these guys deserved a better effort from me....one thing led to another, and you know how that goes.” I am like hgs_notes “I may not post a lot on this or other threads, but I'm watching, admiring and learning from some talented people.” I’ve only posted a little over 200 times since 2009 but I do watch and learn too. And, I would have to add the quality of work that you are doing inspires and excites guys like me. It keeps me going and that is much appreciated.

Thanks Bud....nice of you to say. Sometimes when you post up in these threads, you wonder if anyone is really listening, most of the time it just feels like youre talking to to yourself....HELLO, is anyone home lol

The saga of the tank continues, the tank straps are pure junk from the repop company, and are sorly in need of some more attention. Soaking in vinegar

BTW, if you should decide to use the stubby neck on your new tank, i have a SS bent tube and hose if you need it

Now, get back out in your shop, continue to do that great work on your truck, and post up more than 200 times, so I CAN watch and learn.....:lol: