The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   1968 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=545446)

gdavis 11-19-2014 12:50 PM

Re: 1968

started soldering up the connections and shorten the wires and cleaning up the rats nest under the dash. Got the dash all wired and looking good . too cold to work out side today. Last night it got down to 29. too cold for these old bones. I can be thankful that it doesn't snow here like up north.

gdavis 11-20-2014 02:53 AM

I got all the wiring done, I think. I will test the wiring in a day or two. I am getting a little discouraged. Sometimes I think I would be better off selling this project. But I guess I better hold on to it. I hope to order my rear bumper this week. Each week there seems to be something else I need.

Elliot949 11-20-2014 07:47 AM

Man I get it... about the time we think we have it all figured out the truck throws another curve ball at ya... Keep the chin up... It really does look like you are on the downside of the hill... I am only half way up the hill... LOL

zicc1835 11-20-2014 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdavis (Post 6924300)
started soldering up the connections and shorten the wires and cleaning up the rats nest under the dash. Got the dash all wired and looking good . too cold to work out side today. Last night it got down to 29. too cold for these old bones. I can be thankful that it doesn't snow here like up north.

cold $ucks no snow here yet but too cold, too early, i know about them old bones .....you come a long way to let a little thing like 29 degrees to get you down take a look back thru your build .....you are getting real close to the finish line:smoke:

colgad 11-20-2014 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdavis (Post 6925310)
I got all the wiring done, I think. I will test the wiring in a day or two. I am getting a little discouraged. Sometimes I think I would be better off selling this project. But I guess I better hold on to it. I hope to order my rear bumper this week. Each week there seems to be something else I need.

George, did you get the dash panel plug figured out? I haven't had a chance to look into the differences in years. If you got it your the man!
You do seem bummed though, why the downer? Your truck is looking great! Your getting so close! It will a nice ride really soon.

swamp rat 11-21-2014 03:04 PM

George i'd so much like to be where your at now, way too close to give up!

Dean'smeanmachine 11-23-2014 01:00 PM

that truck is looking great

gdavis 11-23-2014 06:30 PM

elliot949, zicc1835, colgad, swamprat, dean'smeanmachine, thanks for the comments. weather is changing and the old girl sits and the time to work on her is always taking the back seat. But one day I will have a driver. I went up state with a friend this week in and we drove his old truck. 1974 square body. was a pleasant trip, except for the rain all the time I was gone.

gdavis 11-27-2014 11:21 AM

Happy Bird day guys. I hope you all have a great turkey day. Be thankful for what you have. There are a lot of people that has nothing. So when you set at the table give thanks. George

swamp rat 11-28-2014 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdavis (Post 6935812)
Happy Bird day guys. I hope you all have a great turkey day. Be thankful for what you have. There are a lot of people that has nothing. So when you set at the table give thanks. George

Absolutely! Happy Thanksgiving back to you too!

silverbear 11-28-2014 02:27 PM

Wow, Patches is coming along very nice. So sorry the used wiring harness did not work out for you. Don't let the amount of time it takes finish her up get you down. You have put way more attention to details than GM even thought about. She will be great one day soon and you will find the experience rewarding.

gdavis 11-29-2014 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverbear (Post 6936956)
Wow, Patches is coming along very nice. So sorry the used wiring harness did not work out for you. Don't let the amount of time it takes finish her up get you down. You have put way more attention to details than GM even thought about. She will be great one day soon and you will find the experience rewarding.

I used a lot of the spare parts off the harness that I got from you. But in the end it all will work out. Thanks for stopping by. George

gdavis 11-29-2014 02:17 AM

Today I finished wiring the fuseable red wire from the alt to the battery. I didn't like the way it looked. also put the wire in a wire looms and now they are nice and tidy. Tomorrow I will tackle the started and other items for the engine.
oil pressure switch
temp switch
distributor

gdavis 11-30-2014 01:06 AM

Today I finished wiring the starter and a little clean up on the wire looms. I will post pictures Monday on the progress. Thursday night the temp. was 34 and Friday the temp was 31 so it was a little cold for us in florida

gdavis 12-02-2014 02:29 AM

Today I started testing out the wiring. Got as far as the head lights and they work great. Tomorrow I will have to pull the wiper motor, something is wrong with it. It just makes a funny noise. I had it rebuilt a few months back, so I guess they did not do a good job. I should have checked it out sooner.

gdavis 12-03-2014 07:21 PM

got some more wiring done on the old girl.
front and rear clearance lights done
back up lights done
dome lights done
glove box light done
cig. lighter done
key switch done
head light switch done
wiper motor/washer switch done
alt wiring done
starter wiring done
fuse link from alt. done
head lights front and rear. done
front turn signals done
rear turn signals done
hazards front and rear done
no brake lights
I am having a time getting the Ts switch to work. I know it is the wiring somewhere.

gdavis 12-04-2014 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdavis (Post 6943431)
got some more wiring done on the old girl.
front and rear clearance lights done
back up lights done
dome lights done
glove box light done
cig. lighter done
key switch done
head light switch done
wiper motor/washer switch done
alt wiring done
starter wiring done
fuse link from alt. done
head lights front and rear. done
But no turn R or L front or rear
no hazard at all
no brake lights
I am having a time getting the Ts switch to work. I know it is the wiring somewhere.

I think my problem with the wiper motor is low amp. I am testing it with 2 amp battery charger. I am going to wait until I have finished the testing before I re-test with a fully charged battery.

gdavis 12-05-2014 06:06 PM

does anyone know how to get brake lights? all grounds are good.
all lights are new and have been tested.
Power to the brake switch
power out of the brake switch
power to the column connector
power out of the column connector. but no brakes lights.

colgad 12-06-2014 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdavis (Post 6945850)
does anyone know how to get brake lights? all grounds are good.
all lights are new and have been tested.
Power to the brake switch
power out of the brake switch
power to the column connector
power out of the column connector. but no brakes lights.

George, sorry I missed your call yesterday. If you have 12v when you step on the brakes out of the switch and thru the column then I would either pull the wire back from the rear of the truck and see if there is a break in the wire or maybe if it is spliced the splice came loose some how. If you are using the factory connector that joins the cab wiring at the plug in the frame I would question the rear harness. Or maybe that plug is loose. Did you use new pig tails from the rear lights? Could be that splice there too. If you don't get it fixed I may be able to come up next week.

gdavis 12-07-2014 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colgad (Post 6946550)
George, sorry I missed your call yesterday. If you have 12v when you step on the brakes out of the switch and thru the column then I would either pull the wire back from the rear of the truck and see if there is a break in the wire or maybe if it is spliced the splice came loose some how. If you are using the factory connector that joins the cab wiring at the plug in the frame I would question the rear harness. Or maybe that plug is loose. Did you use new pig tails from the rear lights? Could be that splice there too. If you don't get it fixed I may be able to come up next week.

I hooked a hot lead to the turn signals and they work so it can't be the harness on the rear. That all is new and the lights are new. I can't get power coming out of the column to the rear. I check the power going in and there is no power coming out of the column, I want to say maybe the turn signal switch is bad. But I don't want to comment to that just yet. If I can't figure it out maybe a trip might not be a bad idea. I have asked of you before and you came up without question. Let me keep trying and see if I can do it and if not I thank you ahead. can you answer me this how many hot wires are there going to the column connector and color. Maybe you know without looking at your truck. Maybe that will at least be a help.

colgad 12-07-2014 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdavis (Post 6947538)
I hooked a hot lead to the turn signals and they work so it can't be the harness on the rear. That all is new and the lights are new. I can't get power coming out of the column to the rear. I check the power going in and there is no power coming out of the column, I want to say maybe the turn signal switch is bad. But I don't want to comment to that just yet. If I can't figure it out maybe a trip might not be a bad idea. I have asked of you before and you came up without question. Let me keep trying and see if I can do it and if not I thank you ahead. can you answer me this how many hot wires are there going to the column connector and color. Maybe you know without looking at your truck. Maybe that will at least be a help.

The turn signal and the brake lights are the same filament. So the turn signal wire Left is the Left brake light wire also. The Right turn signal is the Right brake light also.
----
ON MINE:
From the brake switch TO the P terminal on the column connector.
From the N terminal on the column connector goes to the Left turn signal bulb.
From the M terminal on the column connector goes to the Right turn signal bulb.
----
I believe this is the way it works:

So Normally the turn signal filaments are connected via the turn signal switch to the brake switch with the turn lever in the middle position. So if you pressed on the brake the Brake Light/Turn Filament would light for both left and right.

Power to the Turn signal comes from the Flasher if the turn signal lever is moved up or down (R/L). Same filament as brake light. So say if the lever in the Right turn position the Right turn signal is getting Blinking power from the Blinker relay, if you step on the brake the Left filament gets power from the brake switch and it goes solid ON.

I hope this is clearer than mud.
Dave

Possmguts 12-07-2014 11:14 AM

Man, I dont feel so bad about my small garage now... I guess one can do great things with what they have right? But at least you have Florida weather on your side... Freezing my ass off in Ohio!
Nice low budget build, coming along real nice.. thumbs up! Love the bench seat... sorta makes me wanna keep mine....

gdavis 12-08-2014 07:11 PM

Well. Today I found out why I have no brakes lights. There was a wire in the turn signal switch that came loose, poor soldering from the factory. I tried to re solder it but it did not work. So I ordered another switch today. It will be here in a few days. So tomorrow I will button everything up again and be ready when it comes. At least I know now that the wiring was right.

swamp rat 12-09-2014 04:40 AM

Glad ya figured it out!

gdavis 12-11-2014 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp rat (Post 6950432)
Glad ya figured it out!

I was almost ready to call for help.

gdavis 12-12-2014 09:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Got the new switch in from fedex today. I hope to install it soon. Christmas is coming so may not have time for a while. Here is the mess I got with the wiring as we speak.

Mustard72 12-12-2014 10:17 PM

Wiring (and everything else since I last checked in) is coming along really nicely, George. I might have to steal your additional terminal idea in 15 years when I get to that part of the rebuild with Mustard.

gdavis 12-15-2014 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustard72 (Post 6955286)
Wiring (and everything else since I last checked in) is coming along really nicely, George. I might have to steal your additional terminal idea in 15 years when I get to that part of the rebuild with Mustard.

Go ahead and steal it, I stool it myself. I am glad to see you still around. Be good my friend.

gdavis 12-16-2014 02:46 AM

Any suggestions mates: I installed the turn signal switch and everything looks sweet. I only have one problem. The hazard button will go in and work but it want come back out to shut them off. It is easy to push in, so what is the problem.

Possmguts 12-16-2014 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdavis (Post 6959424)
Any suggestions mates: I installed the turn signal switch and everything looks sweet. I only have one problem. The hazard button will go in and work but it want come back out to shut them off. It is easy to push in, so what is the problem.

My new switch is stiff like that too.. You saying you cant get it back out or its just hard?

gdavis 12-17-2014 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Possmguts (Post 6960170)
My new switch is stiff like that too.. You saying you cant get it back out or its just hard?

I can take my little finger and push on the inside of the switch and it trips it off. But I can't pull the switch back out. But that is the least of my problems. I installed a 73 to 87 switch, that has a screw in type hazard push pull. When I screw the button in the switch goes crazy. Like I put my left or right turn signal on and all the lights turn into 4 ways. and the minute I take the hazard screw out everything works great. So I am going to mount a push in type button on the dash for the hazards. Case solved. I am tired of replacing the turn signal switch. This id the third switch for this column.

gdavis 12-18-2014 03:50 AM

Got all the wiring done. installed the glove box, carpet, steering wheel today. I hope to put the seat back in tomorrow.

swamp rat 12-18-2014 05:02 AM

Awesome!

zicc1835 12-18-2014 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdavis (Post 6962124)
Got all the wiring done. installed the glove box, carpet, steering wheel today. I hope to put the seat back in tomorrow.

pictures when you get the time

gdavis 12-19-2014 01:54 AM

thanks swamp rat and jess for your comments. I will post pictures tomorrow thanks for stopping by.

gdavis 12-19-2014 04:21 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Got the dash and glove box door re-mounted and the seat back in the truck. I also mounted the brake pedal bezel and pad. Christmas is near so I might not get anymore free time to work on the ole girl. (patches)

gdavis 12-19-2014 04:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
a few more

Possmguts 12-19-2014 07:34 PM

absolutely beautiful brother... makes me almost wanna keep the bench in mine. Something I noticed was your glove box liner... is that Fiberglas or something? original? I bout an after market thats freaking cardboard stapled together.. not happy about it.

swamp rat 12-19-2014 08:31 PM

Lookin good my friend! You have a Merry Christmas!

swamp rat 12-19-2014 08:32 PM

Lookin good my friend! You have a Very Merry Christmas!